NATION

PASSWORD

Tip's Aviation Gallery

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Tippercommon
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Tip's Aviation Gallery

Postby Tippercommon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:57 pm

This gallery is a cross-section of my aviation artwork. I do commissioned illustrations (outside of aviation as well), so telegram me if you are interested.

Image Australia
CAC CA-15 "Kangaroo" // Piston-Engine Fighter (Experimental) // 1946-1950

Image Finland
VL Myrsky // Piston-Engine Fighter // 1943-1947
Last edited by Tippercommon on Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Last edited by Tippercommon on Wed Oct 09, 1996 10:46 pm, edited 3.1416 times in total.
Looking for a Modern Tech Roleplay Region? Check out Anterra!

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:59 pm

The CAC CA-15 Kangaroo was an experimental piston-engine propeller-driven fighter developed by the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation on behalf of the Australian government towards the end of World War II and flight tested after the war. Superior in performance when compared to the Royal Australian Air Force's (RAAF) Mustangs, the Kangaroo would have replaced the P-51 as a long-range fighter and interceptor.

Although closely resembling the P-51 Mustang with its liquid-cooled V12 engine and its belly-mounted radiator scoop, the original CA-15 would have been far different if it had come to fruition. The original Kangaroo concept featured a Pratt & Whitney radial engine inspired by the performance of the German Focke-Wulf Fw 190. However, this became impossible as the supply of the engines dried up, forcing the adoption of a Rolls-Royce V12.

Ultimately, production delays and the progression of aviation technology lead to the downfall of the Kangaroo. Bureaucratic issues and the end of World War II delayed the first flight of the Kangaroo until 4 March 1946. A crash landing after a hydraulic failure that year kept the Kangaroo out of the air for an additional 2 years until it was fully repaired in 1948. By then, the jet age had taken off, with contemporaries such as the de Havilland Vampire and Gloster Meteor in full production and the F-86 Sabre only a year from launch. The project was ultimately scrapped in 1950.

The one example of the Kangaroo was the A62-1001. It bore a bare metal finish with the blue and white roundel and fin flash characteristic of RAAF air units operating in the Pacific Theatre. The aircraft's serial number was displayed aft of the roundel and the yellow "P" prototype marking is displayed ahead of the roundel.

Made On: Adobe Illustrator
Delivered: 11 August 2018
Type of Work: Commission

Poster for Purchase: Link
Last edited by Tippercommon on Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Last edited by Tippercommon on Wed Oct 09, 1996 10:46 pm, edited 3.1416 times in total.

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:36 pm

VL Myrsky II, Serial MY-50, Hävittäjälentolaivue 11 (No. 11 Fighter Squadron), Finnish Air Force (1945) (By Brendan Matsuyama)
VL Myrsky II, Serial MY-5, Tiedustelulentolaivue 12 (No. 12 Reconnaissance Squadron), Finnish Air Force (1944) (By Brendan Matsuyama)

The VL Myrsky II was a piston-engine propeller-driven fighter manufactured by the State Aircraft Factory (Valtion lentokonetehdas or VL) on behalf of the Finnish government. The Myrsky II was the primary production variant of the Myrsky family, with the Myrsky II being an pre-production run and the Myrsky III being cancelled before put into service.

The Myrsky II was powered by a Pratt & Whitney radial engine and was armed with four .50 caliber machine guns. It was used primarily as a fighter and reconnaissance aircraft, and served alongside the likes of the Bf 109 and Curtiss Hawk 75 during the Continuation War. The Myrsky left Finnish service in 1947 following the end of World War II and restrictions placed on Finland's air force by the victorious Allied powers.

Only 47 Myrsky IIs were built. Of the above examples, the MY-5 was the first delivered and the MY-50 was the second to last delivered.

Made On: Adobe Illustrator
Delivered: 7 August 2018
Type of Work: Plane Encyclopedia Contribution

Return to Arts & Fiction