NATION

PASSWORD

What’s Happening to DC Comics|DC Comics Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Duestchstien
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

What’s Happening to DC Comics|DC Comics Discussion Thread

Postby Duestchstien » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:11 pm

Since the release of the Green Lantern Starring Ryan Reynolds, DC Films have become the laughing stock of the Film Industry, with practically every film since the Dark Knight Trilogy being received poorly and making little to no profit (save for the Wonder Woman Movies), to the distaste of many fans, Warner Brothers continues to pump out terrible movies in a poor attempt to catch up with Marvel Studio’s Cinematic Universe. At this point many fans are wondering if the DCEU can be salvaged by the new line of Directors and Writers hired by Warner Brothers to make the next set of DCEU Films.

This thread is a discussion thread for DC, though I decided to start it off by talking about the controversial DCEU and see what people think about it, discussion can continue from there if this works out.
National Info
Chancellor - Alexei Matrovitch
Vice Chancellor - Dmitri Zdunowo
Capital - Moscow
Population - 404.2 Million
Currency - Roys Ruble (₽)
Active RPs
2024: Age of Superpowers - Nigeria

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:26 pm

Zack Snyder messed it all up. Man of Steel was not good, and BvS was definitely a disappointment. Suicide Squad wasn’t great either, and that’s honestly a pretty weird property to use as your third movie. Justice League had a difficult production and ended up so tonally inconsistent with the other movies, so by then the whole thing felt like a mess. I feel like the DCEU can bounce back if they focus on quality and stop trying to get everyone together as quickly as possible, but I really don’t care much anymore.

I heard the comics are doing fine, but I don’t really follow them anymore. I’m still familiar with a lot of DC characters.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Imperial isa
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 08, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Imperial isa » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:51 pm

I feel DC's animated movies are doing a better job over what the live ones have been doing.
Romeo Foxtrot, Shall we Dance...
We’re on an express elevator to hell – going down!

Conoga
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:16 pm

I only really watch super hero movies I get dragged to, and it's never DC, but:
Aquaman's one of the nicest looking books I've seen them put out in years, the new Batman and Superman're really superb, Action Comics has just reached its 1000th issue, but then they've canceled Super Sons and Supergirl

It's O.K., I think

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:37 pm

Eh, i'm more of a Marvel fan but I do have some love for DC.

The animated Superman and Batman movie from 97' was cool. I grew up on the OG Teen Titans.

Fucking hate Teen Titans Go, obs. The thing is a reanimated corpse existing to print CN more money.

At a glance, DC Super Hero Girls looks to be better then TTG for miles. But thats really not saying much sense fucking anything could beat TTG.

Also Harley is cute, I guess.

Duestchstien
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Duestchstien » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:40 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Eh, i'm more of a Marvel fan but I do have some love for DC.

The animated Superman and Batman movie from 97' was cool. I grew up on the OG Teen Titans.

Fucking hate Teen Titans Go, obs. The thing is a reanimated corpse existing to print CN more money.

At a glance, DC Super Hero Girls looks to be better then TTG for miles. But thats really not saying much sense fucking anything could beat TTG.

I do agree with you, Teen Titans Go is pretty bad, but at least it's helping create the next generation of DC Fans. Personally I think that The DC Animation Department is very strong with movies like the Dark Knight Returns and Gotham by Gaslight being very good and entertaining. I think if DC started with Wonder Woman it would have created a strong start to the DCEU, since not only is Wonder Woman an entertaining hero with a lot of potential, but it would help start out with a fresh character not many people know. I think the DCEU should have made a Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman movie before the first team up film Batman v Superman since that movie was clogged with exposition. But the most angering thing is how they got Zack Snyder, some known for movies based on spectacle with no real story and made him their version of Marvels Kevin Feige. Hopefully the next couple of films will be entertaining with Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese in the Directors Chair.
National Info
Capital - Moscow
Active RPs

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:51 pm

Duestchstien wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Eh, i'm more of a Marvel fan but I do have some love for DC.

I do agree with you, Teen Titans Go is pretty bad, but at least it's helping create the next generation of DC Fans. Personally I think that The DC Animation Department is very strong with movies like the Dark Knight Returns and Gotham by Gaslight being very good and entertaining. I think if DC started with Wonder Woman it would have created a strong start to the DCEU, since not only is Wonder Woman an entertaining hero with a lot of potential, but it would help start out with a fresh character not many people know. I think the DCEU should have made a Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman movie before the first team up film Batman v Superman since that movie was clogged with exposition. But the most angering thing is how they got Zack Snyder, some known for movies based on spectacle with no real story and made him their version of Marvels Kevin Feige. Hopefully the next couple of films will be entertaining with Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese in the Directors Chair.

Well, yeah I guess TTG is doing that at the very least.

Last I heard of the DC Animation Department they just released The Killing Joke and most people hated it, I think.

The DCEU I have stayed away from.

I thought about going to see Suicide Squad, I was hoping it was going to be good. I heard it wasn't. Might watch Wonder Woman eventually.

Duestchstien
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Duestchstien » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:16 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Duestchstien wrote:I do agree with you, Teen Titans Go is pretty bad, but at least it's helping create the next generation of DC Fans. Personally I think that The DC Animation Department is very strong with movies like the Dark Knight Returns and Gotham by Gaslight being very good and entertaining. I think if DC started with Wonder Woman it would have created a strong start to the DCEU, since not only is Wonder Woman an entertaining hero with a lot of potential, but it would help start out with a fresh character not many people know. I think the DCEU should have made a Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman movie before the first team up film Batman v Superman since that movie was clogged with exposition. But the most angering thing is how they got Zack Snyder, some known for movies based on spectacle with no real story and made him their version of Marvels Kevin Feige. Hopefully the next couple of films will be entertaining with Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese in the Directors Chair.

Last I heard of the DC Animation Department they just released The Killing Joke and most people hated it, I think.

I thought about going to see Suicide Squad, I was hoping it was going to be good. I heard it wasn't. Might watch Wonder Woman eventually.

Right now the Wonder Woman Movies are the only ones worth watching, hopefully the aqua man movie coming in November is good.
National Info
Capital - Moscow
Active RPs

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:42 am

Duestchstien wrote:

Right now the Wonder Woman Movies are the only ones worth watching, hopefully the aqua man movie coming in November is good.

Hopefully.
I'll see if I can get around to watching WW.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:50 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Well, yeah I guess TTG is doing that at the very least.

I wouldn't say so. I mean, I will admit I am a sample size of 1 but I am not a fan of DC property outside of the old movies, don't read comics and the only thing TTG has done is convince me I am right to avoid it. And whilst I am not a kid and that show is clearly aimed at kids if I had kids of my own I wouldn't let them watch it because it's dumb. And I certainly wouldn't buy them comics off which it's based off on the assumption that they are the same.

Just saying.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Imperial isa
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 08, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Imperial isa » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:34 pm

So use to her being on side of the bad guys that i was shocked to see her on side of good when i looked that up.
Romeo Foxtrot, Shall we Dance...
We’re on an express elevator to hell – going down!

The Krogan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Krogan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:31 pm

Imperial isa wrote:

So use to her being on side of the bad guys that i was shocked to see her on side of good when i looked that up.

Hasn't she become more of an anti-hero in recent material?
The perpetual lurker of NS, trudging through the desolate winter.

Conoga
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:55 pm

The Krogan wrote:
Imperial isa wrote:So use to her being on side of the bad guys that i was shocked to see her on side of good when i looked that up.

Hasn't she become more of an anti-hero in recent material?
I don't really think she's ever been that evil, more loyal to an evil man. She's come into her own lately, though, yeah.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:36 am

Imperial isa wrote:

Eh, it was more of Joker brainwashed her and forced her to be evil I guess.

Harley being a more cute in this is a good thing.

After seeing the Titans trailer, DC Super Hero Girls now has the best modern representation of modern Teen Titans. And there just side cameos in that show.

Holy shit, they saw the criticism for Teen Titans Go and went way way too dark to compensate.

Star Fire looks horrible. No Cyborg. Raven just looks like one of the goth kids from South Park.

Poor Teen Titans, they just can't catch a break.

Either too dark or too bright to the point of stupidity.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:36 am

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:11 pm

Imperial isa wrote:So use to her being on side of the bad guys that i was shocked to see her on side of good when i looked that up.

After seeing the Titans trailer, DC Super Hero Girls now has the best modern representation of modern Teen Titans. And there just side cameos in that show.

Holy shit, they saw the criticism for Teen Titans Go and went way way too dark to compensate.

Star Fire looks horrible. No Cyborg. Raven just looks like one of the goth kids from South Park.

When I saw that trailer, I seriously thought it was a parody. How can DC be this stupid? We've now been telling them for years that we don't like the dark tone, and then when they go to make Teen Titans, instead of scaling back, they turn it up to eleven. They have a Dick Grayson who acts more like Jason Todd, a Raven who would be right at home in an emo punk band, a Starfire who roasts people alive with inexplicable fire powers, a Dove who slices people to ribbons despite being a pacifist, and a Beast Boy who apparently swapped powers with Vixen because they don't want to go through the effort of transformation even though Manimal did it 35 years ago. It would be hilarious if it weren't so sad. I haven't even seen this show yet, and I can definitively say that I like Teen Titans Go more.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:41 am

Olthar wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Eh, it was more of Joker brainwashed her and forced her to be evil I guess.

When I saw that trailer, I seriously thought it was a parody. How can DC be this stupid? We've now been telling them for years that we don't like the dark tone, and then when they go to make Teen Titans, instead of scaling back, they turn it up to eleven. They have a Dick Grayson who acts more like Jason Todd, a Raven who would be right at home in an emo punk band, a Starfire who roasts people alive with inexplicable fire powers, a Dove who slices people to ribbons despite being a pacifist, and a Beast Boy who apparently swapped powers with Vixen because they don't want to go through the effort of transformation even though Manimal did it 35 years ago. It would be hilarious if it weren't so sad. I haven't even seen this show yet, and I can definitively say that I like Teen Titans Go more.

I have no idea but DC really must try to be this stupid.

Except for the guys who are working on Shazam. They seem to have the only semblance of DC self awareness.

Speaking of DC stupidity and TTG, they think they can lie to us saying that if the TTG movie does good we will get an OG TT Season 6.

No offence to Tara Strong, lovely voice actor, but if DC thinks that after all the years of mocking the original Teen Titans fans and doubling down on that mocking with Titans, they think they can black mail us like this?

Come on DC, we know you are lieing just so that you can get more money. You haven't done anything to earn our trust.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:03 pm

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_snWcz9CJu4

Apparently, someone made a Batman vs. Superman version of Windows 7. The same guys behind the super-garish Gold Windows XP think that a DC Comics property would make a good unofficial port of Windows 7.

I don’t think it makes sense.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:15 am

Are we still judging Starfire based on a costume we know she wears in exactly one scene?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:21 am

Unpopular opinion, but I enjoy watching TTG as a singular show, and directly for its particular brand of mindless humor

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:11 pm

Vassenor wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Eh, it was more of Joker brainwashed her and forced her to be evil I guess.

Are we still judging Starfire based on a costume we know she wears in exactly one scene?

Yes, but that costume is still bad and she doesn't shoot fire.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction