NATION

PASSWORD

Marvel v.s DC?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:20 am

Marvel, because I grew up watching the 90's animated Spider-Man series, and to a lesser degree the X-Men series. DC's Young Justice was also nice, sadly I missed the Justice League shows, not sure if that was even aired for a long time around here. I've never read a Marvel comic ever and the only DC comics were Injustice: Gods amongs us (very good start, got worse after the second year) and some Batman vs Alien / Batman & Superman vs Aliens vs Predators (just no). Best comic will always be 'The life and times of Scrooge McDuck'. made me cry

Sensual Lettuce wrote:DC. Infinity War is going to suck hardcore. They already have a cop out with the stupid time stone. They are going to kill people but it will be entirely pointless since they can just bring them back.
Well, Superman didn't stay dead either except that was obvious from the beginning.

New haven america wrote:[Why do you think Killmonger has become so popular? Because he's
black. As with the entire movie.

I love how the discussion goes like:
No there's not, because they are.
Yes they actually are.

Much argument, so wow

I lost track of who's in favor of what halfway through.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:41 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:fight fight fight

I'd rather not.

Initially I couldn't understand why this person thinks the recent Marvel movies are getting (more) samey. They have very different visual aesthetics and plotlines... they might have done a lot of borrowing between villains but the way that's manifested has not felt similar.

Then I couldn't understand why this poster thinks the Marvel films aren't vivid. As in all of them. (Has the poster suddenly decided, "Actually, no, I don't like the early Marvel films after all?") We've heard this criticism twice but never any reasons for it... even though I offered several explanations for why the Marvel films are, in fact, vivid (especially in contrast to the apparently unproblematic visuals of the DCEU films).

And now I really just want to know why they can't recognise their criticism of the MCU is actually the most generic statement ever and hence criticises all action films... from Bad Boys to Die Hard to National Security to Iron Man to Ragnarok.

HC Eredivisie wrote:I lost track of who's in favor of what halfway through.

My point is simple... the MCU films do not feel increasingly samey. In fact, I don't think they're samey except when you'd expect them to be (the three Iron Man films). I certainly don't believe they're becoming incredibly samey.

Their point? Well, they seem to think I'm trying to convince them the MCU films are the BEST THING EVER, which isn't the case (as I pointed out earlier, the MCU television is, in principle, quite a lot better than the movies). If they still remember where we started off, I can't understand why they would bring up Killmonger as a departure from the general trend. He's literally the most recent baddie... he should be the most samey villain. As it turns out, that's kind of true, but not the way they were using Killmonger. To them Killmonger is a differentiating element.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Western Yeetville
Secretary

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Yeetville » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:33 pm

Berhakonia wrote:Dark Horse Comics, my man

Who are they made by?

Illuminaati
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Illuminaati » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:09 am

I prefer Marvel to DC. And here’s why.
Marvels comics interest me more than DC, I don’t see the appeal to DC’s comic books at all. The only one that would interest me would be The Flash. I already own a few of DC’s comics from a mystery box of comics I got a few months ago. Superman ones look boring, and the other ones I’ve read them and it bores me. I’ve read through all of the Spider-Man comics I have, I love them. I grew up watching the marvel cartoons on Disney, even if they weren’t the best I still loved them. Last summer I started watching the Flash, and Arrow. I like both shows because they’re creative in different aspects, except they miss plot holes sometimes. Arrow is just a cycle of dark emotions, fight scenes and drama between characters. I stopped watching it after awhile. It gets too dark sometimes. Marvel doesn’t have the super dark feel to it, which I enjoy.

I think I’m just rambling on at this point, but DC seems either too dark, or reboot things we don’t need or want. Marvel has a lighter feel, yet still has flavor and interests me very much. Argue with me if you want on anything wrong I’ve said.

Previous

Return to Arts & Fiction