NATION

PASSWORD

Comics Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Favorite Comic Company

DC
22%
Marvel
11%
Dark Horse
22%
IDW
11%
Other
11%
This poll needs more options (please make suggestions)
No votes
11%
Valiant
11%
Boom
No votes
Dynamite
No votes

Total votes : 9

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:24 am

Minoa wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Buster?

Yes, Buster: originally a 60s spin-off of Andy Capp.

I meant I'm not familiar with it.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:25 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Minoa wrote:Yes, Buster: originally a 60s spin-off of Andy Capp.

I meant I'm not familiar with it.

Oh, okay. Here is a history that I came across.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Minoa wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I meant I'm not familiar with it.

Oh, okay. Here is a history that I came across.

Interesting.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:41 pm

I've been dipping my toe back into comics but it turns out it is as hard as I remember it and I don't have that well off friend whose comics I can read to keep up to date like I did in high school.

So far I've been getting those six issue collections, individual comics aren't for me anymore.

I read the first two of those for Hawkeye:My Life as a Weapon. I liked it.

Moon Knight...having a hard time getting into that. I get where they're going I just don't know that they're nailing it.

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, like it. It's kind of precocious and there's room in my heart for that.

I grab any Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider I can find. Even Ghost Racers which was...well, I'm not sure what I expected.

Speaking of which, I picked up the Wacky Racers that was set in a post-apocalyptic landscape where all the HB characters were turned into gritty comic book characters. Liked that a bit, been told the Flintstones one is where it's at.

Just started the new Power Man & Iron Fist, mixed feelings. I have a hard time keeping track of Marvel's different lines, like I don't know when I'm going to get Bruce Banner The Hulk or The Totally Awesome Hulk or whatever. Though since I'm not invested in the overall continuity I guess I don't care. But the kids cartoon aesthetic isn't working for me as well as it does with Moon Girl.

I swear I read other shit than Marvel I just can't remember off the top of my head.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:I've been dipping my toe back into comics but it turns out it is as hard as I remember it and I don't have that well off friend whose comics I can read to keep up to date like I did in high school.

So far I've been getting those six issue collections, individual comics aren't for me anymore.

Moon Knight...having a hard time getting into that. I get where they're going I just don't know that they're nailing it.

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, like it. It's kind of precocious and there's room in my heart for that.

I grab any Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider I can find. Even Ghost Racers which was...well, I'm not sure what I expected.

Speaking of which, I picked up the Wacky Racers that was set in a post-apocalyptic landscape where all the HB characters were turned into gritty comic book characters. Liked that a bit, been told the Flintstones one is where it's at.

Just started the new Power Man & Iron Fist, mixed feelings. I have a hard time keeping track of Marvel's different lines, like I don't know when I'm going to get Bruce Banner The Hulk or The Totally Awesome Hulk or whatever. Though since I'm not invested in the overall continuity I guess I don't care. But the kids cartoon aesthetic isn't working for me as well as it does with Moon Girl.

I swear I read other shit than Marvel I just can't remember off the top of my head.

I barely swim the kiddy pool in Marvel. If it does not have anything to do with spiders, I do not generally touch it. Although I do have Civil War II, have not gotten around to reading it yet though.

The vast majority of my expanding collection is from DC, although I have things from Valiant, BOOM, IDW ect as well. I actually prefer collected volumes too, at least for the moment. Because I am still in the 'Get up to speed' phase in the hobby.

There are only a handful of lines I am getting issue by issue and such as Go Go Power Rangers, Batman/TMNT Crossover and IDW Sonic the Hedgehog when it comes out in April.
My RP Nation is the Islamic Republic of Alamon

The Starlight wrote:Rebel Force: Noun - A strange power associated with street-level characters who are the weakest, yet most powerful of all.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:46 pm

The Rebel Alliances wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:I've been dipping my toe back into comics but it turns out it is as hard as I remember it and I don't have that well off friend whose comics I can read to keep up to date like I did in high school.

I barely swim the kiddy pool in Marvel. If it does not have anything to do with spiders, I do not generally touch it. Although I do have Civil War II, have not gotten around to reading it yet though.

The vast majority of my expanding collection is from DC, although I have things from Valiant, BOOM, IDW ect as well. I actually prefer collected volumes too, at least for the moment. Because I am still in the 'Get up to speed' phase in the hobby.

There are only a handful of lines I am getting issue by issue and such as Go Go Power Rangers, Batman/TMNT Crossover and IDW Sonic the Hedgehog when it comes out in April.

I mostly read my comics online, through Hoopla, but I own some volumes and issues, but not many. The collections are more economical.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:38 am

I just picked up Spawn and Hellboy from my local shop. Does anyone here have any preferences for those?

The Starlight wrote:Rebel Force: Noun - A strange power associated with street-level characters who are the weakest, yet most powerful of all.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:43 am

The Rebel Alliances wrote:I just picked up Spawn and Hellboy from my local shop. Does anyone here have any preferences for those?

I've heard of them, but I haven't read them.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:08 pm

I just got a Street Fighter x GI Joe comic. Cant wait to tear into that. Chun Li vs Baroness anyone?

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:51 pm

The Rebel Alliances wrote:I just got a Street Fighter x GI Joe comic. Cant wait to tear into that. Chun Li vs Baroness anyone?

Sounds pretty cool.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:31 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
The Rebel Alliances wrote:I just got a Street Fighter x GI Joe comic. Cant wait to tear into that. Chun Li vs Baroness anyone?

Sounds pretty cool.

It was crazy. I read the entire volume and I feel like I missed something. They had a tournament headed by both Bison and Destro and it turns out all the fights were fixed. The heroes made sure that it would be Jinx armed with the Satsui no Hado would face off against Bison.

That explains why Snake Eyes lost to...Rufus. :meh:

And as for fights like Baroness vs Rufus and Chun Li vs Zartan, I doubt that Baroness and Zartan were in on it so their matches might be legit. Which should be humiliating for Baroness because she lost to Rufus. But that could have been a fluke.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:34 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:Sounds pretty cool.

It was crazy. I read the entire volume and I feel like I missed something. They had a tournament headed by both Bison and Destro and it turns out all the fights were fixed. The heroes made sure that it would be Jinx armed with the Satsui no Hado would face off against Bison.

And as for fights like Baroness vs Rufus and Chun Li vs Zartan, I doubt that Baroness and Zartan were in on it so their matches might be legit. Which should be humiliating for Baroness because she lost to Rufus. But that could have been a fluke.

If it wasn't rigged, Snake Eyes would kick butt.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:42 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:

If it wasn't rigged, Snake Eyes would kick butt.

He would serve up a nice plate of Arashikage @$$whoopins. Easily my favorite Joe. There are a few world warriors I would like to see him against. Ken, Juri Han ect.

Honestly I think the roster could have been better. They included Hakan, but not Juri? Overall it was a decent read.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:If it wasn't rigged, Snake Eyes would kick butt.

He would serve up a nice plate of Arashikage @$$whoopins. Easily my favorite Joe. There are a few world warriors I would like to see him against. Ken, Juri Han ect.

Honestly I think the roster could have been better. They included Hakan, but not Juri? Overall it was a decent read.

I'm not really familiar with Street Fighter.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction