NATION

PASSWORD

Star Wars: The Force Shall Free Us All

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

If you could have a legacy upon the Star Wars galaxy, how would you want to be remembered?

As the fearless Jedi Knight, first into the fight against evil
4%
As the peacemaking Jedi Master
13%
As the shadow that lurks in the dark, influencing the galaxy with subtlety
11%
As the Sith Master that reveals themselves and dominates all opposition
21%
As the rogue who finds their fortune
2%
As the crime boss who lavishes in luxury
1%
As the bounty hunter that lives long enough to retire
8%
As the veteran soldier who fights for their cause for a lifetime
12%
As the daredevil explorer, placing their lives on the line to map the galaxy and reshape its very structure
12%
Dude, this galaxy's frickin' crazy, just let me be a normal civilian
15%

Total votes : 84

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:51 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
New haven america wrote:She's only 5 years older than him. (Anakin was 9, she was 14)

Always thought that was odd; Naboo must have had a fucked up system of government if you are electing a 14 year old girl to be your Queen. Even if Veruna was that bad, was a child the next best choice?

Wookieepedia's explanation on the matter:

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:56 pm

North German Realm wrote:
Purpelia wrote:I know I am like decades late to the party but am Ii the only one who found the idea of an 8 year old Anikin falling for a girl like 3 times his age or something and than following up on that when he grew up creepy?

Wasn't Padme like 14-15 when TPM happened though?

Officially, yes. But "official" age doesn't change the fact that what we see is 9 year old Anakin and 18 year old Padme in TPM, and the whole thing still comes across as 'emotionally unstable guy can't get over a childhood crush, and is enabled by woman who doesn't understand boundaries.' :p

Child Anakin is still one of the biggest mistakes of the prequels.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:17 am

Purpelia wrote:I know I am like decades late to the party but am Ii the only one who found the idea of an 8 year old Anikin falling for a girl like 3 times his age or something and than following up on that when he grew up creepy?

Wasn't Padme like 14-15 when TPM happened though?

1. Her age was newer stated in the movie leaving us only with the actress to go from. And she did not look 14.
2. It is so completely and utterly unreasonable to have a juvenile as a queen or indeed in any position of power that it newer occurred to anyone unless they read it somewhere. And I still do not know where the 14 comes from.
3. The creepy part really comes into play when he follows up on it much later. Even if you ignore the age thing it still feels like an unhealthy obsession rather than love.

Myrensis wrote:Officially, yes. But "official" age doesn't change the fact that what we see is 9 year old Anakin and 18 year old Padme in TPM, and the whole thing still comes across as 'emotionally unstable guy can't get over a childhood crush, and is enabled by woman who doesn't understand boundaries.' :p

Child Anakin is still one of the biggest mistakes of the prequels.

This. Only instead of "does not understand boundaries" I frankly feel it is manipulative. She is a skilled political figure by that point used to getting her way and manipulating others to do so. And that's not a negative interpretation either. As a politician and the representative of her planet in the senate that's literally her job description. Anything less would mean she is a failure at her job which she clearly isn't. And he is a starstruck kid with a childhood crush and potentially mother issues. Even if she is not consciously and maliciously manipulating him (which I do not think she is) it is simply in her nature to be manipulative, even if she does not know it. And she is thus openly enabling unhealthy behavior in a guy half her age based on frankly unhealthy emotions on his part.

I mean, just imagine if the genders were reversed. Imagine if you had an up and coming male politician seduce an 8 year old girl and than arrange a meet up with her just as she becomes legal.
Last edited by Purpelia on Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:36 am

You know so many things could have been prevented if the Jedi just had some therapists and better views on mental health and attachments.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:10 am

Purpelia wrote:
North German Realm wrote:Wasn't Padme like 14-15 when TPM happened though?

1. Her age was newer stated in the movie leaving us only with the actress to go from. And she did not look 14.
2. It is so completely and utterly unreasonable to have a juvenile as a queen or indeed in any position of power that it newer occurred to anyone unless they read it somewhere. And I still do not know where the 14 comes from.

1. It's stated in her Wookieepedia article
2. Charles XII of Sweden says hi
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:24 am

Dylar wrote:
Purpelia wrote:1. Her age was newer stated in the movie leaving us only with the actress to go from. And she did not look 14.

To be perfectly fair, Naboo's royalty is semi-elective in a "vote for your queen who has term limits" sort of way. So Child-kings irl don't really compare.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:02 am

Dylar wrote:
Purpelia wrote:1. Her age was newer stated in the movie leaving us only with the actress to go from. And she did not look 14.

Random online wikis are irrelevant. Nobody reads those before or during watching the movie. The only thing that matters is what is stated or shown in the film it self.
And it still does not address the creepy factor of an older politician essentially exploiting an emotionally immature individual.
Last edited by Purpelia on Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:15 am

Purpelia wrote:And it still does not address the creepy factor of an older politician essentially exploiting an emotionally immature individual.

There was no manipulation on her part in TPM and in AotC she's more trying to comfort Anakin while simultaneously having an attraction to him.

He's the one that is pursuing HER. Not the other way around. I agree it was irresponsible of her to eventually accept those advances but I wouldn't call it manipulative.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:37 pm

The problem wasn't that Anakin had a crush on someone older than him at 8/9 (happens all the time). The weird part is that it was lowkey reciprocated by a teenager.
Last edited by Valrifell on Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:39 pm

Andsed wrote:You know so many things could have been prevented if the Jedi just had some therapists and better views on mental health and attachments.

Headcanon: There's a group of non-violent light-siders who are literally just space therapists and deal with their enemies like a modern cartoon protagonist, by talking about their feelings and getting the bad guy over their daddy issues or whatever.

Then the Jedi killed them because that sounds about right.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:41 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Andsed wrote:You know so many things could have been prevented if the Jedi just had some therapists and better views on mental health and attachments.

Headcanon: There's a group of non-violent light-siders who are literally just space therapists and deal with their enemies like a modern cartoon protagonist, by talking about their feelings and getting the bad guy over their daddy issues or whatever.

Eh. While the Jedi can sometimes be misguided and corrupt that does not sound like them. They(or at least the modern order does) tend to leave groups of force sensitives they do not consider a threat(like the nightsisters) alone.

If something like that happened it would have needed to happen before or around the beginning of the near thousand year peace since the ancient Jedi would be far more militaristic than their modern day counterparts.
Last edited by Andsed on Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:24 pm

Valrifell wrote:

The problem wasn't that Anakin had a crush on someone older than him at 8/9 (happens all the time). The weird part is that it was lowkey reciprocated by a teenager.

I think you guys are trying to make this weirder than it is.

Padme was only 14 or 15 when Anakin was 9. That makes her 25 or 26 when he’s 20. I disagree that constitutes an inappropriate age gap.

And I disagree that Padme reciprocated anything in TPM. If anything it was a case of “oh this little boy has a crush on me, how cute”. I know we live in an age of pedophile scandals RL, but Padme is hardly creeping on Anakin there. It’s innocent.

And she doesn’t seem to feel anything for him at the start of AotC either. She doesn’t seem to reciprocate until Naboo, which is after they’ve gotten to know each other as adults.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Names Are Too Hard
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Names Are Too Hard » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:34 pm

Andsed wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Eh. While the Jedi can sometimes be misguided and corrupt that does not sound like them. They(or at least the modern order does) tend to leave groups of force sensitives they do not consider a threat(like the nightsisters) alone.

If something like that happened it would have needed to happen before or around the beginning of the near thousand year peace since the ancient Jedi would be far more militaristic than their modern day counterparts.

I might be wrong about this, but didn’t the night sisters try to assassinate a Jedi? On like, multiple occasions?
Sometimes words sound good in my head but my tongue make not the words sound good
Typos and bad grammar are likely due to me being on mobile, but might just be cause I’m stupid.
Organized religion bad

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:36 pm

Names Are Too Hard wrote:
Andsed wrote:Eh. While the Jedi can sometimes be misguided and corrupt that does not sound like them. They(or at least the modern order does) tend to leave groups of force sensitives they do not consider a threat(like the nightsisters) alone.

I might be wrong about this, but didn’t the night sisters try to assassinate a Jedi? On like, multiple occasions?

The only assassination attempt I remember was their attempt on Dooku and he was not a Jedi anymore.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Names Are Too Hard
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Names Are Too Hard » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:39 pm

Andsed wrote:
Names Are Too Hard wrote:I might be wrong about this, but didn’t the night sisters try to assassinate a Jedi? On like, multiple occasions?

The only assassination attempt I remember was their attempt on Dooku and he was not a Jedi anymore.

Ah ok. Just remember from the CW that they weren’t the nicest of space cults.
Sometimes words sound good in my head but my tongue make not the words sound good
Typos and bad grammar are likely due to me being on mobile, but might just be cause I’m stupid.
Organized religion bad

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:47 am

Andsed wrote:
Names Are Too Hard wrote:I might be wrong about this, but didn’t the night sisters try to assassinate a Jedi? On like, multiple occasions?

And he kicked the shit out of them. While in his pajamas. While blind.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:35 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
Andsed wrote:The only assassination attempt I remember was their attempt on Dooku and he was not a Jedi anymore.

And he kicked the shit out of them. While in his pajamas. While blind.

Which is either a statement on his badassery or a condemnation on the quality of assassins in Star Wars.

Maybe a combination of the two.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:22 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:And he kicked the shit out of them. While in his pajamas. While blind.

Which is either a statement on his badassery or a condemnation on the quality of assassins in Star Wars.

Eh, Ventress was the only one of the three who had experience or even training with a lightsaber, so I cant blame the other Nightsisters too much for being ineffective.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:59 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Which is either a statement on his badassery or a condemnation on the quality of assassins in Star Wars.

Eh, Ventress was the only one of the three who had experience or even training with a lightsaber, so I cant blame the other Nightsisters too much for being ineffective.

Yeah, but the other two were force sensitive, as nightsisters, and had been using those swords their whole lives. And besides, Rey had no experience with a lightsaber in TFA.
Hot Girls Vote

I drive wee-woo wagon and professionally distribute band-aids. For some ungodly reason they trusted me with drugs and I am using them to hijack my own gender.

As the top of the sig says. Singularity technology and Juggernaut military by The Pacific Standards. We're good now, sort of.

This nation was developed under the influence of metal

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:52 pm

Kathol Rift wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:Eh, Ventress was the only one of the three who had experience or even training with a lightsaber, so I cant blame the other Nightsisters too much for being ineffective.

Yeah, but the other two were force sensitive, as nightsisters, and had been using those swords their whole lives. And besides, Rey had no experience with a lightsaber in TFA.

While that may be true, we have very little canon information on Nightsister swords or what techniques they favour. It's highly unlikely they had formal lightsaber training, and, against a swordsman as skilled as Dooku, you need all the help you can get.

Rey should not have won that fight, the fact she did was tremendously bad writing.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:34 am

To be fair Kylo was injured during his first fight with Rey, so Rey beating him in that lightsaber duel makes sense. Had Kylo not been injured Rey might've lost to him.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:59 pm

Aeritai wrote:To be fair Kylo was injured during his first fight with Rey, so Rey beating him in that lightsaber duel makes sense. Had Kylo not been injured Rey might've lost to him.

He was injured, but he had also recieved training from both Luke, and presumably Snoke, on how to use a lightsaber, a weapon that is notoriously difficult to use. He was always said to be an exceedingly powerful student, but Snoke was entirely right in TLJ when he basically toasted Kylo for being a Vader fanboy who lost to Rey, a scavenger who knew how to hit people with a big stick.

It would have made much more sense, even given the injury, for Kylo to defeat Rey or toy with her, much how Vader did with Luke in ESB, and then to have her escape because of his overconfidence.

As it was, Kylo was not an intimidating villain, and having him lose to Rey really solidified this. I never felt like Kylo was a real threat after that scene.
Last edited by Jedi Council on Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:04 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
Aeritai wrote:To be fair Kylo was injured during his first fight with Rey, so Rey beating him in that lightsaber duel makes sense. Had Kylo not been injured Rey might've lost to him.

He was injured, but he had also recieved training from both Luke, and presumably Snoke, on how to use a lightsaber, a weapon that is notoriously difficult to use.

Rey was a scavenger who knew how to hit people with a big stick.

It would have made much more sense, even given the injury, for Kylo to defeat Rey or toy with her, much how Vader did with Luke in ESB, and then to have her escape because of his overconfidence.

As it was, Kylo was not an intimidating villain, and having him lose to Rey really solidified this. I never felt like Kylo was a real threat after that scene.

Seriously. Kylo at his most emotional point (he's both hurt and angry, both of which only aid him given his affiliation in the Force), even if he's heavily injured, vs. Rey without even a day of training with a lightsaber? I mean, even Disney canon states that you need years of practice with a lightsaber just to be good enough with the weapon that you don't accidentally mutilate yourself or someone else with it.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:01 pm

Valrifell wrote:

More vitally the creepy part is that YOU KNOW they are going to end up together. You know it. Unlike random information you can only find on a wiki nobody reads anyway you know the fact they will end up together right there and than in the movie. And you know it because the entire cinematography and plot and everything just leads to that in an unmistakable way. And because we watched the 3parter that comes after that where his son saves the galaxy. And when you have a romance you know is going to end in children and an 8 year old in the same scene it just... isn't right.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:06 pm

Jedi Council wrote:He was injured, but he had also recieved training from both Luke, and presumably Snoke, on how to use a lightsaber, a weapon that is notoriously difficult to use.

Rey was a scavenger who knew how to hit people with a big stick.

Seriously. Kylo at his most emotional point (he's both hurt and angry, both of which only aid him given his affiliation in the Force), even if he's heavily injured, vs. Rey without even a day of training with a lightsaber? I mean, even Disney canon states that you need years of practice with a lightsaber just to be good enough with the weapon that you don't accidentally mutilate yourself or someone else with it.

And I dont think heavily injured is the right word since he beat Finn (a trained soilder) with ease and Rey was injured as well being knocked unconscious by Kylo. Now plot armor has always been a thing in Star Wars, but unlike with Luke or Anakin who we actually see struggle and fail, Rey has nothing that makes that plot armor feel earned. She just can suddenly do it. It just feels contrived.
Last edited by Andsed on Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction