NATION

PASSWORD

Star Wars: The Force Shall Free Us All

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

If you could have a legacy upon the Star Wars galaxy, how would you want to be remembered?

As the fearless Jedi Knight, first into the fight against evil
4%
As the peacemaking Jedi Master
13%
As the shadow that lurks in the dark, influencing the galaxy with subtlety
11%
As the Sith Master that reveals themselves and dominates all opposition
21%
As the rogue who finds their fortune
2%
As the crime boss who lavishes in luxury
1%
As the bounty hunter that lives long enough to retire
8%
As the veteran soldier who fights for their cause for a lifetime
12%
As the daredevil explorer, placing their lives on the line to map the galaxy and reshape its very structure
12%
Dude, this galaxy's frickin' crazy, just let me be a normal civilian
15%

Total votes : 84

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:01 pm

I went looking for pro-Rose Tico opinions because I find the character awful. I found people talking about how asian and female she was with some adding that she was a mechanic. Obviously anyone attacking KMT is a dick but how is it okay to push a character based on the sex and race of the actor playing them?
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:45 pm

Andsed wrote:
North German Realm wrote:Seriously. Kylo at his most emotional point (he's both hurt and angry, both of which only aid him given his affiliation in the Force), even if he's heavily injured, vs. Rey without even a day of training with a lightsaber? I mean, even Disney canon states that you need years of practice with a lightsaber just to be good enough with the weapon that you don't accidentally mutilate yourself or someone else with it.

And I dont think heavily injured is the right word since he beat Finn (a trained soilder) with ease and Rey was injured as well being knocked unconscious by Kylo. Now plot armor has always been a thing in Star Wars, but unlike with Luke or Anakin who we actually see struggle and fail, Rey has nothing that makes that plot armor feel earned. She just can suddenly do it. It just feels contrived.

I mean didn't he take a direct hit from Chewie's crossbow thing? That's just Kylo being stupidly OP before the movie nerfs him into "gets beaten by person with zero hours of training with a Lightsaber". Tho ig it's still better than Finn using a lightsaber, given the latter isn't even force sensitive. Seriously disney wtf
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:25 am

Des-Bal wrote:I went looking for pro-Rose Tico opinions because I find the character awful. I found people talking about how asian and female she was with some adding that she was a mechanic. Obviously anyone attacking KMT is a dick but how is it okay to push a character based on the sex and race of the actor playing them?

I actually never found Rose to be that bad. The only part that frustrated me was her saving Finn at the end, and having the most sexless kiss ever seen on screen.

Other than that, she was just very meh for me, much like most of the Cantobite/Finn arc from TLJ.

Per the race question however, I do think there is something to be said from seeing someone who "looks like you on screen," even if said character was not the best written or portrayed. Alot of people might roll their eyes at that, but for alot of people in minority groups, seeing themselves in a character is an important experience. The closest example I can think of for me was Pedro Pascal's Oberyn in Season 4 GOT; his character really amazed me, as a young closeted gay kid, because of how powerful and confident he was, regardless of his sexuality.

Now, to be fair, Oberyn was a much, much, much, better character than Rose, but I cant fault anyone who likes her because of how seeing her makes them feel.
Last edited by Jedi Council on Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:51 am

North German Realm wrote:
Andsed wrote:And I dont think heavily injured is the right word since he beat Finn (a trained soilder) with ease and Rey was injured as well being knocked unconscious by Kylo. Now plot armor has always been a thing in Star Wars, but unlike with Luke or Anakin who we actually see struggle and fail, Rey has nothing that makes that plot armor feel earned. She just can suddenly do it. It just feels contrived.

I mean didn't he take a direct hit from Chewie's crossbow thing? That's just Kylo being stupidly OP before the movie nerfs him into "gets beaten by person with zero hours of training with a Lightsaber". Tho ig it's still better than Finn using a lightsaber, given the latter isn't even force sensitive. Seriously disney wtf

I have already just disregarded the new trilogy, it was created solely to push a feminist narrative without adding to the story
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:16 pm

Andsed wrote:And I dont think heavily injured is the right word since he beat Finn (a trained soilder) with ease and Rey was injured as well being knocked unconscious by Kylo. Now plot armor has always been a thing in Star Wars, but unlike with Luke or Anakin who we actually see struggle and fail, Rey has nothing that makes that plot armor feel earned. She just can suddenly do it. It just feels contrived.

Since when does one need to be force sensitive to use a lightsaber? Grievous wasn't and he used four simultaniously.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:18 pm

Des-Bal wrote:I went looking for pro-Rose Tico opinions because I find the character awful. I found people talking about how asian and female she was with some adding that she was a mechanic. Obviously anyone attacking KMT is a dick but how is it okay to push a character based on the sex and race of the actor playing them?

I liked Rose. I thought she was fun.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:21 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:
North German Realm wrote:I mean didn't he take a direct hit from Chewie's crossbow thing? That's just Kylo being stupidly OP before the movie nerfs him into "gets beaten by person with zero hours of training with a Lightsaber". Tho ig it's still better than Finn using a lightsaber, given the latter isn't even force sensitive. Seriously disney wtf

Since when does one need to be force sensitive to use a lightsaber? Grievous wasn't and he used four simultaniously.

You don´t need to but generally it requires even more trainng than the already large amount of training for a force sensitive. I can accept Finn using a lightsaber, based that the stormtrooper he fought TFA using a baton it is not to far out there that he has some training in melee combat, and I can also accept Rey being able to use one and not mutilate herself. Plot armor has always been a thing in Star Wars, I just think having Rey beat one of the main villains in the first movie was a really bad idea.
Last edited by Andsed on Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:40 pm

Andsed wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:Since when does one need to be force sensitive to use a lightsaber? Grievous wasn't and he used four simultaniously.

You don´t need to but generally it requires even more trainng than the already large amount of training for a force sensitive. I can accept Finn using a lightsaber, based that the stormtrooper he fought TFA using a baton it is not to far out there that he has some training in melee combat, and I can also accept Rey being able to use one and not mutilate herself. Plot armor has always been a thing in Star Wars, I just think having Rey beat one of the main villains in the first movie was a really bad idea.

I do want to specify that Finn was a janitor.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:50 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Andsed wrote:You don´t need to but generally it requires even more trainng than the already large amount of training for a force sensitive. I can accept Finn using a lightsaber, based that the stormtrooper he fought TFA using a baton it is not to far out there that he has some training in melee combat, and I can also accept Rey being able to use one and not mutilate herself. Plot armor has always been a thing in Star Wars, I just think having Rey beat one of the main villains in the first movie was a really bad idea.

True, bit still trained as Stormtrooper so Andsend has a point.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:54 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Andsed wrote:You don´t need to but generally it requires even more trainng than the already large amount of training for a force sensitive. I can accept Finn using a lightsaber, based that the stormtrooper he fought TFA using a baton it is not to far out there that he has some training in melee combat, and I can also accept Rey being able to use one and not mutilate herself. Plot armor has always been a thing in Star Wars, I just think having Rey beat one of the main villains in the first movie was a really bad idea.

Yes he was, but we do see him at the beginning of the movie being deployed to an active combat zone meaning he was an actual combatant meaning his a trained soldier. Him being a janitor must have just been an assignment while he was stationed on Starkiller base. Soldiers being given assignments in things like sanitation when their stationed somewhere is not some really some absurd idea.
Last edited by Andsed on Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:04 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:
North German Realm wrote:I mean didn't he take a direct hit from Chewie's crossbow thing? That's just Kylo being stupidly OP before the movie nerfs him into "gets beaten by person with zero hours of training with a Lightsaber". Tho ig it's still better than Finn using a lightsaber, given the latter isn't even force sensitive. Seriously disney wtf

Yes but Grievous was trained in their use by one of the greatest swordsmen of his day.

Finn and Rey, by comparison, should not have even close to Kylo in terms of skill.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:11 pm

A bowcaster is like a shotgun. Devastating at close range, not so much at long ranges. While I don´t know the exact distance Chewie fired at it does seem to be out of a bowcasters optimal range and this did not seem to be a fully charged shot(hence Kylo only falling to his knees, not thrown back like we saw at Mazs castle.) Which would mean that it would hurt like a bitch and limit Kylos fighting ability, but not the point where he could not take on someone with only some training in melee combat and not even with a lightsaber. And also Rey herself was wounded (being thrown against a tree hard enough to knock her out) so at most she really should have only been able to just barely hold her own in the encounter, not beat Kylo like she did.

But plot amour is not my real issue with this scene. That has always been a thing in Star Wars. My issue is that having Rey be able to have this amount of skill without showing any real training or struggling on her part makes it feel unearned and contrived and really hurts Kylo´s ability to feel like a threat.
Last edited by Andsed on Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:27 pm

Andsed wrote:

A bowcaster is like a shotgun. Devastating at close range, not so much at long ranges. While I don´t know the exact distance Chewie fired at it does seem to be out of a bowcasters optimal range and this did not seem to be a fully charged shot(hence Kylo only being falling to his knees, not thrown back like we saw at Mazs castle.) Which would mean that it would hurt like a bitch and limit Kylos fighting ability, but not the point where he could not take on someone with only some training in melee combat and not even with a lightsaber. And also Rey herself was wounded (being thrown against a tree hard enough to knock her out) so at most she really should have only been able to just barely hold her own in the encounter, not beat Kylo like she did.

But plot amour is not my real issue with this scene. That has always been a thing in Star Wars. My issue is that having Rey be able to have this amount of skill without showing any real training or struggling on her part makes it feel unearned and contrived and really hurts Kylo´s ability to feel like a threat.

Agreed, Kylo was a decent villain up to that point. After Rey beat him in TFA, he never regained any kind of menace, he was always just meh.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:41 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:

I liked Rose. I thought she was fun.

In what way? I'm not saying she's without any redeemable/good aspects at all, but I honestly wouldn't say "fun" was the main way she was portrayed.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:52 pm

Fedel wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:I liked Rose. I thought she was fun.

In what way? I'm not saying she's without any redeemable/good aspects at all, but I honestly wouldn't say "fun" was the main way she was portrayed.

What's not fun about someone tasing another guy?
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:53 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Fedel wrote:

What's not fun about someone tasing another guy?

Well, depends on who's being tazed. :>

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:07 pm

Jedi Council wrote:

I actually never found Rose to be that bad. The only part that frustrated me was her saving Finn at the end, and having the most sexless kiss ever seen on screen.

Other than that, she was just very meh for me, much like most of the Cantobite/Finn arc from TLJ.

Per the race question however, I do think there is something to be said from seeing someone who "looks like you on screen," even if said character was not the best written or portrayed. Alot of people might roll their eyes at that, but for alot of people in minority groups, seeing themselves in a character is an important experience. The closest example I can think of for me was Pedro Pascal's Oberyn in Season 4 GOT; his character really amazed me, as a young closeted gay kid, because of how powerful and confident he was, regardless of his sexuality.

Now, to be fair, Oberyn was a much, much, much, better character than Rose, but I cant fault anyone who likes her because of how seeing her makes them feel.

I see exactly what you're saying. But at the same time, if I was looking for someone I could identify with on screen, I wouldn't even want to look at a character as bland and blah as Rose. I feel like I would almost be more put off by that than anything. I'm not gonna scold anyone for liking what she represents as far as diversity, but if you're going to try so hard to put an Asian actor/character in a decently major role, maybe you could at least make that character decent.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:16 pm

I am not a major fan of Rose tbh. I felt like she was just kinda a pointless addition to the movie. The whole casino side plot was just pointless and boring. It went basically no where other than getting Finn and Rose on Snokes ship. And the whole thing of Rose crashing into Finn was dumb. She is not terrible but I don´t think her addition really helped the movie.

It would have been better to perhaps keep Finn on the ship so he could continue to interact with Poe(who he has much better chemistry with imo) and give him a character arc of adjusting to being a member of the resistance and even dealing with the ramifications of killing stormtroopers(I hate that they never addressed how Finn was killing stormtroopers who he should know never really chose to fight for the First Order.)
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:27 pm

Andsed wrote:I am not a major fan of Rose tbh. I felt like she was just kinda a pointless addition to the movie. The whole casino side plot was just pointless and boring. It went basically no where other than getting Finn and Rose on Snokes ship. And the whole thing of Rose crashing into Finn was dumb. She is not terrible but I don´t think her addition really helped the movie.

It would have been better to perhaps keep Finn on the ship so he could continue to interact with Poe(who he has much better chemistry with imo) and give him a character arc of adjusting to being a member of the resistance and even dealing with the ramifications of killing stormtroopers(I hate that they never addressed how Finn was killing stormtroopers who he should know never really chose to fight for the First Order.)

And to be fair, plans go awry and sometimes don't accomplish what is intended. That's part of how movies go. But then you just think about Canto Bight and realize just how little of significance happened. Do the characters learn anything that might help them succeed when their plan fails? No. Does it develop the characters in any way? No. Does it push the relationship between the characters forward in any meaningful way? No. If you were to simply remove the whole sequence from the movie, the only question that would arise from the moviegoer's standpoint is "Where did Finn go?" Basically they took a poorly developed character, sent him off with an inconsequential and uninspiring character, and wasted a good deal of screentime while accomplishing absolutely nothing.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:33 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Andsed wrote:I am not a major fan of Rose tbh. I felt like she was just kinda a pointless addition to the movie. The whole casino side plot was just pointless and boring. It went basically no where other than getting Finn and Rose on Snokes ship. And the whole thing of Rose crashing into Finn was dumb. She is not terrible but I don´t think her addition really helped the movie.

And to be fair, plans go awry and sometimes don't accomplish what is intended. That's part of how movies go. But then you just think about Canto Bight and realize just how little of significance happened. Do the characters learn anything that might help them succeed when their plan fails? No. Does it develop the characters in any way? No. Does it push the relationship between the characters forward in any meaningful way? No. If you were to simply remove the whole sequence from the movie, the only question that would arise from the moviegoer's standpoint is "Where did Finn go?" Basically they took a poorly developed character, sent him off with an inconsequential and uninspiring character, and wasted a good deal of screentime while accomplishing absolutely nothing.

Exactly. And it is a damm shame because they could have done a lot with Finn. They could have used him to introduce actual grey morality to the conflict. Like imagine watching Finn grapple with the fact he killed stromtroopers, who he knows were just innocent people kidnapped and trained to fight for the FO without a choice just like he was. Imagine him hearing Resistance members basically dehumanize stormtroopers(because that tends to happen in war) and trying to not lose his cool with that. They could have really developed Finn as a character and brought up just how messy wars are in a real genuine way(aka not that whole arms dealer thing.) Such a waste.
Last edited by Andsed on Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:53 pm

Jedi Council wrote:I actually never found Rose to be that bad. The only part that frustrated me was her saving Finn at the end, and having the most sexless kiss ever seen on screen.

I didn't take Cantobite well. I could go on a pages long rant about the logical issues but the thing that put me off Rose was basically in the broad strokes. She gave a speech about the evil exploitation of the rich casino goers, then made a connection with a poor youth who apparently lives in a stable, then she unleashed a bunch of racing animals and left the kid behind- presumably to clean up after the mess the rebels made. I broke down laughing, if I had to make a joke about a character lacking self-awareness that's pretty much how I'd do it.

Apart from that I got more than a little frustrated when she saved Finn. She appeared out of nowhere breaking the logic of the scene, she ruined Finn's chance to actually do something interesting (which is even worse when he wound up spending TROS reminding Rey of her name), and she capped it with an out of nowhere kiss and an absurd statement. Then Finn apparently sprinted with her unconscious body away from the advancing enemy armor. The entire sequence was so absurd that I just didn't care about anything that happened afterwards.

Andsed wrote:Exactly. And it is a damm shame because they could have done a lot with Finn. They could have used him to introduce actual grey morality to the conflict. Like imagine watching Finn grapple with the fact he killed stromtroopers, who he knows were just innocent people kidnapped and trained to fight for the FO without a choice just like he was. Imagine him hearing Resistance members basically dehumanize stormtroopers(because that tends to happen in war) and trying to not lose his cool with that. They could have really developed Finn as a character and brought up just how messy wars are in a real genuine way(aka not that whole arms dealer thing.) Such a waste.

Honestly how do you fuck up a converted storm trooper? Humanize those faceless mooks who have been getting slaughtered for decades. Have a character with a nuanced take on the enemy. Maybe he was a conscript, maybe he joined for a lack of options, maybe he saw the First Order as having positive qualities. But no, he's the comic relief with snippets of exposition that he only brings up at times that the audience is expected to have questions.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:31 pm

Andsed wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:And to be fair, plans go awry and sometimes don't accomplish what is intended. That's part of how movies go. But then you just think about Canto Bight and realize just how little of significance happened. Do the characters learn anything that might help them succeed when their plan fails? No. Does it develop the characters in any way? No. Does it push the relationship between the characters forward in any meaningful way? No. If you were to simply remove the whole sequence from the movie, the only question that would arise from the moviegoer's standpoint is "Where did Finn go?" Basically they took a poorly developed character, sent him off with an inconsequential and uninspiring character, and wasted a good deal of screentime while accomplishing absolutely nothing.

Exactly. And it is a damm shame because they could have done a lot with Finn. They could have used him to introduce actual grey morality to the conflict. Like imagine watching Finn grapple with the fact he killed stromtroopers, who he knows were just innocent people kidnapped and trained to fight for the FO without a choice just like he was. Imagine him hearing Resistance members basically dehumanize stormtroopers(because that tends to happen in war) and trying to not lose his cool with that. They could have really developed Finn as a character and brought up just how messy wars are in a real genuine way(aka not that whole arms dealer thing.) Such a waste.

It is really unfortunate because John Boyega is actually quite likeable and talented. Frankly, I think all the new leads (Boyega, Ridley, Isaac, Driver) were all really good actors with alot of potential, had they been given well written, balanced characters, with coherent plot lines.

As it was, all of the characters, especially Finn and Poe, were wasted because so much importance was foisted on Rey. She really lacked any one particular skill set because she could apparently do everything.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:40 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
Andsed wrote:Exactly. And it is a damm shame because they could have done a lot with Finn. They could have used him to introduce actual grey morality to the conflict. Like imagine watching Finn grapple with the fact he killed stromtroopers, who he knows were just innocent people kidnapped and trained to fight for the FO without a choice just like he was. Imagine him hearing Resistance members basically dehumanize stormtroopers(because that tends to happen in war) and trying to not lose his cool with that. They could have really developed Finn as a character and brought up just how messy wars are in a real genuine way(aka not that whole arms dealer thing.) Such a waste.

It is really unfortunate because John Boyega is actually quite likeable and talented. Frankly, I think all the new leads (Boyega, Ridley, Isaac, Driver) were all really good actors with alot of potential, had they been given well written, balanced characters, with coherent plot lines.

As it was, all of the characters, especially Finn and Poe, were wasted because so much importance was foisted on Rey. She really lacked any one particular skill set because she could apparently do everything.

"But what I do have is an extremely broad and ill-defined set of skills. Skills magically acquired over a very brief career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people who like realistic, well rounded characters, like you."
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Pax Imperica
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Pax Imperica » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:56 pm

The new trilogy itself in my eyes was a horribly botched opportunity. Finn and Poe were potentially intriguing characters that became nothing more than fodder for Rey. Rey was THE epitome of the flat character, an ill defined character. I personally felt that there was much to be done for the villains, who could have become magnificent additions to the complex and beautiful lore, but in the end failed as well.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:59 pm

Jedi Council wrote:

Oh yeah, anyone who blames the actors are fucking moronic. The main trio (Rey, Poe, and Finn) all have really good chemistry that I think was kinda wasted. Their interactions were some of the best parts of the movie. It is why I can bear Rise of Skywalker a bit more than The Last Jedi.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction