NATION

PASSWORD

Star Wars: The Force Shall Free Us All

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

If you could have a legacy upon the Star Wars galaxy, how would you want to be remembered?

As the fearless Jedi Knight, first into the fight against evil
4%
As the peacemaking Jedi Master
13%
As the shadow that lurks in the dark, influencing the galaxy with subtlety
11%
As the Sith Master that reveals themselves and dominates all opposition
21%
As the rogue who finds their fortune
2%
As the crime boss who lavishes in luxury
1%
As the bounty hunter that lives long enough to retire
8%
As the veteran soldier who fights for their cause for a lifetime
12%
As the daredevil explorer, placing their lives on the line to map the galaxy and reshape its very structure
12%
Dude, this galaxy's frickin' crazy, just let me be a normal civilian
15%

Total votes : 84

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:13 pm

Andsed wrote:
Fedel wrote:
To be fair, he was a prodigy on the level of Luke ( within the old EU ).

"The Apprentice is the photo negative of Luke Skywalker. He's been raised by Darth Vader, and is what Luke would have become if he had joined his father. Vader's not a very nice daddy. This guy has been raised to be a Jedi. When the Jedi use the Force, they respect it and don't overuse it. The bad guys - the Sith - keep testing their limits. Vader discovered this person who had the potential to be the most powerful Force user ever. He's up there with the top tier. He's extremely powerful. Vader has trained him in such a way that he just kept pushing his limitations, seeing how far he could use the Force. So, where a normal Jedi might use the Force to trick his way past a few stormtroopers, the apprentice might use the Force to bring down an adjacent building on top of those stormtroopers. He's extremely confident in everything he does. He's been trained by Vader to be an assassin, an unstoppable force." - Insider 100.

Fair enough I guess. It still really hampers the idea of Vader being an unstoppable monster in my mind though. I much prefer his appearance in Fallen Order than TFU.

I get what you mean, but I think TFU still does a pretty good job of making their version of Vader menacing. Especially in the sequel.

A lot of that's down to the voice acting done by Matt Sloan who also coincidentally was the voice of Chad Vader: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SXuVP6mtIk
Last edited by Fedel on Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:15 am

Every Star Wars movie has the wrong title.

I hate that this actually makes sense.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:20 am

Idzequitch wrote:Every Star Wars movie has the wrong title.

...Dude.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:21 am

Ameriganastan wrote:

...Dude.

My reaction exactly.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:37 am

I disagree, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith can stay where they are.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:43 am

My reaction when I first saw this before it went viral was pretty much this. This makes to much sense and I am angry about it.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:40 am

You know what I want to see in a movie or show? The lightsaber form of Tràkata being used because damm is that an interesting one. It is basically centered around the idea of using a lightsabers ability to turn off and on. The only time we see something like that being used is in Fallen Order by Cal and I just want more.
Last edited by Andsed on Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:33 am

You know I cannot believe I'm saying this but: The new trilogy has made me hate Anakin's/Luke's Lightsaber. I've always disliked how it was more prominent than Luke's actual saber in advertisement and in toys but after seeing 3 movies worth of nonsense involving that lightsaber i legitimately groan when seeing it.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:40 am

Impaled Nazarene wrote:You know I cannot believe I'm saying this but: The new trilogy has made me hate Anakin's/Luke's Lightsaber. I've always disliked how it was more prominent than Luke's actual saber in advertisement and in toys but after seeing 3 movies worth of nonsense involving that lightsaber i legitimately groan when seeing it.

It’s kind of funny how the sequels treat it like an important, almost mystical weapon.

You guys know that thing killed dozens of children right?
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:17 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:You know I cannot believe I'm saying this but: The new trilogy has made me hate Anakin's/Luke's Lightsaber. I've always disliked how it was more prominent than Luke's actual saber in advertisement and in toys but after seeing 3 movies worth of nonsense involving that lightsaber i legitimately groan when seeing it.

It’s kind of funny how the sequels treat it like an important, almost mystical weapon.

Not just children, tons of Jedi too.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Rhinocera
Minister

Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Rhinocera » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:01 pm

I think that is part of the lightsaber’s significance. Anakin used it to destabilize the force and tilt everything towards darkness, then Luke used it to confront his father. Anakin also initially used it to bolster the Jedi cause. It represents the light and dark, having been used as to champion the cause of the Jedi and to bring the Sith back into power. Ray used it as a median figure between light and dark. She wasn’t a Jedi in the traditional sense and she wasn’t a Sith. She was more neutral in regards to her force alignment. That weapon is one of the most prominent symbols of balance in the saga. That’s how I see it at least.
RED STAR HEAVY INDUSTRIES

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=243572

Signatory of The Amistad Declaration on Slavery and the Rights of Man

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=98436#p4901606

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:25 pm

What always bugged me about that was how it survived. I would think that falling through a gas giant would have crushed it.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:27 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:

What always bugged me about that was how it survived. I would think that falling through a gas giant would have crushed it.

I figured it would've just been at the bottom of the chasm inside Cloud City
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:29 pm

Dylar wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:What always bugged me about that was how it survived. I would think that falling through a gas giant would have crushed it.

I figured it would've just been at the bottom of the chasm inside Cloud City

That's possible. I always just kind of assumed it fell completely out of Cloud City's duct work.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:16 pm

Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:21 pm

New haven america wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:It’s kind of funny how the sequels treat it like an important, almost mystical weapon.

Not just children, tons of Jedi too.

Based.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:25 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:

Those little fuckers were totally asking for it- Vader
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:56 pm

Two deaths was not enough for Palpatine.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:29 pm

Andsed wrote:Okay hot take here: I think Force Unleashed not being cannon is a good thing. I loved the games but Starkiller was way to fucking OP.

TBH, that can be applied to most of the old EU, because inventing new ridiculous force powers and superweapons was a crutch for many, many, many of the writers.

I blame them for Abrams making Star Wars Episode 9: Rise of the Fanfic

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:35 pm

Myrensis wrote:
Andsed wrote:Okay hot take here: I think Force Unleashed not being cannon is a good thing. I loved the games but Starkiller was way to fucking OP.

TBH, that can be applied to most of the old EU, because inventing new ridiculous force powers and superweapons was a crutch for many, many, many of the writers.

Yeah that is fair. As much as I enjoy the EU (and prefer its post OT content over the ST) it was so bloated with over the top shit. Making it non cannon was a good idea. I just wish they either took some ideas from it or made original ones instead of basically doing the OT but flashier and messier.
Last edited by Andsed on Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:57 pm

Andsed wrote:
Myrensis wrote:

Yeah that is fair. As much as I enjoy the EU (and prefer its post OT content over the ST) it was so bloated with over the top shit. Making it non cannon was a good idea. I just wish they either took some ideas from it or made original ones instead of basically doing the OT but flashier and messier.

I really can’t argue with this. When you think of some of the things that happened in legends (Yuuzhan Vong invasion, Abeloth, half of the old republic era), its really hard to reconcile that with what we saw in the movies. I fully agree that they really should have taken more elements of the EU rather than a nostalgia trilogy without continuity though.
Hot Girls Vote

I drive wee-woo wagon and professionally distribute band-aids. For some ungodly reason they trusted me with drugs and I am using them to hijack my own gender.

As the top of the sig says. Singularity technology and Juggernaut military by The Pacific Standards. We're good now, sort of.

This nation was developed under the influence of metal

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:00 pm

I know I am like decades late to the party but am Ii the only one who found the idea of an 8 year old Anikin falling for a girl like 3 times his age or something and than following up on that when he grew up creepy?
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012

Postby New haven america » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:19 pm

Purpelia wrote:I know I am like decades late to the party but am Ii the only one who found the idea of an 8 year old Anikin falling for a girl like 3 times his age or something and than following up on that when he grew up creepy?

She's only 5 years older than him. (Anakin was 9, she was 14)
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:22 pm

New haven america wrote:
Purpelia wrote:I know I am like decades late to the party but am Ii the only one who found the idea of an 8 year old Anikin falling for a girl like 3 times his age or something and than following up on that when he grew up creepy?

She's only 5 years older than him. (Anakin was 9, she was 14)

Always thought that was odd; Naboo must have had a fucked up system of government if you are electing a 14 year old girl to be your Queen. Even if Veruna was that bad, was a child the next best choice?
Last edited by Jedi Council on Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:43 pm

Wasn't Padme like 14-15 when TPM happened though?
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction