NATION

PASSWORD

Star Wars: The Force Shall Free Us All

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

If you could have a legacy upon the Star Wars galaxy, how would you want to be remembered?

As the fearless Jedi Knight, first into the fight against evil
4%
As the peacemaking Jedi Master
13%
As the shadow that lurks in the dark, influencing the galaxy with subtlety
11%
As the Sith Master that reveals themselves and dominates all opposition
21%
As the rogue who finds their fortune
2%
As the crime boss who lavishes in luxury
1%
As the bounty hunter that lives long enough to retire
8%
As the veteran soldier who fights for their cause for a lifetime
12%
As the daredevil explorer, placing their lives on the line to map the galaxy and reshape its very structure
12%
Dude, this galaxy's frickin' crazy, just let me be a normal civilian
15%

Total votes : 84

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:42 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Andsed wrote:If that it was it I could give it a pass. But then having Luke completely give up? That is what really breaks his character for me. Luke is the type to make mistakes, but he does not just give up like that. Especially when his loved ones are in danger. If it had been Luke had traveled to Ach-To to learn from his mistake and the ancient Jedi and consider what to do and he actually trained Rey and helped the resistance then it would sit a lot better with me.

Yeah, I agree. Having him meditate on looking to the past for solutions (instead of outright giving up) could also jive with the pre-existing themes of the movie. Plus it would make the scene with Yoda burning the sacred Jedi texts from beyond the grave and Luke's reaction... make a little more sense?

As for helping the Resistance? I don't think that would have ever been in the cards, meta/production-wise. Part of the overarching themes of the first two movies (haven't seen RoS) is handing stuff to a new generation. I think having him go out as a tricksy force-hologram was probably the best it was going to get for his final ending.

Fair enough, though I still think he should have at the least trained Rey.

Anyways, after re watching some Fallen Order things on Youtube I was reminded on another reason I love the game. The inquisitors are just so much better in the game. In Rebels they were just your average villain and pretty eh. In Fallen Order I was actively dreading fighting them for the first time(which is partially due to how I was still learning the game but the atmosphere of their first apprentices definitely contributed as well.) Not to mention the game really did emphasize their pretty tragic lives. Not surprisingly Trilla stood out but even the Ninth Sister got a line that emphasized how fucked up the Inquisitors backstories are. Some pretty good writing from Respawn imo.
Last edited by Andsed on Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:13 pm

I love the soundtrack for Republic Commando. It's up there with John Williams' SW stuff.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:54 pm

Amazing SW fanart I stumbled across:

Last edited by Fedel on Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:42 am

Fedel wrote:Amazing SW fanart I stumbled across:

oooh thats very cool
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:19 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:I love the soundtrack for Republic Commando. It's up there with John Williams' SW stuff.

The Republic Commando soundtrack is awesome. Have you seen that YT video that mixes Vode An from Republic Commando with the Mandalorian theme, then does it in medieval style? It’s amazing. You should look it up.
Hot Girls Vote

I drive wee-woo wagon and professionally distribute band-aids. For some ungodly reason they trusted me with drugs and I am using them to hijack my own gender.

As the top of the sig says. Singularity technology and Juggernaut military by The Pacific Standards. We're good now, sort of.

This nation was developed under the influence of metal

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:20 am

Kathol Rift wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I love the soundtrack for Republic Commando. It's up there with John Williams' SW stuff.

The Republic Commando soundtrack is awesome. Have you seen that YT video that mixes Vode An from Republic Commando with the Mandalorian theme, then does it in medieval style? It’s amazing. You should look it up.

Just saw that one, Samuel Kim does a lot of great work.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:23 am

Andsed wrote:
Kathol Rift wrote:The Republic Commando soundtrack is awesome. Have you seen that YT video that mixes Vode An from Republic Commando with the Mandalorian theme, then does it in medieval style? It’s amazing. You should look it up.

Just saw that one, Samuel Kim does a lot of great work.

I really hope that they make a live action Republic Commando movie someday. Imagine seeing Commandos on the big screen, fighting as a squad, then hearing that epic theme blasting out of theater speakers.
Hot Girls Vote

I drive wee-woo wagon and professionally distribute band-aids. For some ungodly reason they trusted me with drugs and I am using them to hijack my own gender.

As the top of the sig says. Singularity technology and Juggernaut military by The Pacific Standards. We're good now, sort of.

This nation was developed under the influence of metal

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:37 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Andsed wrote:Was is the correct term. Luke used to be a whiny impulsive farm boy. His whole arc was about becoming a Jedi and growing as a person. Having him revert to the same old version of himself came off lazy and really unsatisfying. Luke trying to kill Ben is not something he would do. He was willing to believe in and spare Vader who was a fucking monster. Killing his own nephew instead of talking to him and when that went wrong leaving his friends to die? That is just not something I can see Luke doing.

The movie states that he thought about for a fleeting moment and came to his senses very quickly, the whole new Jedi order was under the dark influence of whatever Snoke was doing. Sure, him doing that was uncharacteristic but that can be chalked up to external forces.

So I could give him a pass for considering it, but I do think that unsheathing your light saber was perhaps too far afield and there could have, perhaps, been a subtler way to convey that Luke secretly kinda wanted to murder him a little. It might've been neat to throw some unreliability into the narrative, too.
Wasn't that Kylo's version of the story, when in reality Luke didn't had his saber drawn or do I misremember things?
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:51 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
The movie states that he thought about for a fleeting moment and came to his senses very quickly, the whole new Jedi order was under the dark influence of whatever Snoke was doing. Sure, him doing that was uncharacteristic but that can be chalked up to external forces.

So I could give him a pass for considering it, but I do think that unsheathing your light saber was perhaps too far afield and there could have, perhaps, been a subtler way to convey that Luke secretly kinda wanted to murder him a little. It might've been neat to throw some unreliability into the narrative, too.
Wasn't that Kylo's version of the story, when in reality Luke didn't had his saber drawn or do I misremember things?
There were three versions told in TLJ:

Lukes initial version that he went to talk to Kylo and Kylo attacked him, pulling the hut down around them before killing all the other jedi padawans. Luke didnt draw his lightsaber at all in this one.

Kylo's version that luke entered his hut, armed his lightsaber and then tried to kill him as he was envious/fearful of his powers. So Kylo defended himself.

And then Luke's second version, which was that he had sensed the darkside building in him for a while through his training, so he went to see him and when he was sleeping he used to the force to search Kylos thoughts. And saw all the horrible shit he thought Kylo was going to do, and that it was beyond his imagining so he had a moment of instinct/weakness where he pulled his saber out and was about to attack, but immediately realised it was the wrong decision and he fucked up. This caused Kylo to attack him as Kylo thought he was gona kill him.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:53 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:Wasn't that Kylo's version of the story, when in reality Luke didn't had his saber drawn or do I misremember things?
There were three versions told in TLJ:

Lukes initial version that he went to talk to Kylo and Kylo attacked him, pulling the hut down around them before killing all the other jedi padawans. Luke didnt draw his lightsaber at all in this one.

Kylo's version that luke entered his hut, armed his lightsaber and then tried to kill him as he was envious/fearful of his powers. So Kylo defended himself.

And then Luke's second version, which was that he had sensed the darkside building in him for a while through his training, so he went to see him and when he was sleeping he used to the force to search Kylos thoughts. And saw all the horrible shit he thought Kylo was going to do, and that it was beyond his imagining so he had a moment of instinct/weakness where he pulled his saber out and was about to attack, but immediately realised it was the wrong decision and he fucked up. This caused Kylo to attack him as Kylo thought he was gona kill him.
Seems reasonable for Luke, though.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.

25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:55 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:There were three versions told in TLJ:

Seems reasonable for Luke, though.

I thought so as well. To me it made sense and i liked it as a plot point. My biggest issue is i wish we got to see more of it in the flashbacks, see Kylo being aggressive/acting differently etc during training and Luke catching on that something was wrong.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:05 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:Seems reasonable for Luke, though.

I thought so as well. To me it made sense and i liked it as a plot point. My biggest issue is i wish we got to see more of it in the flashbacks, see Kylo being aggressive/acting differently etc during training and Luke catching on that something was wrong.

Yeah, he reacts to the dark side visions, and then realises he can't just kill Kylo in his sleep. And yes, that would be nice to see.

25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:09 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:Seems reasonable for Luke, though.

I would have been okay with it if they had just not made Luke completely give up after. Though I still really think that just killing off the New Jedi Order and resetting everything to like they were in OT was a huge mistake that really crippled the potential of the ST.
Last edited by Andsed on Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Pythaga
Envoy

Founded: Mar 31, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Pythaga » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:39 pm

Andsed wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:I thought so as well. To me it made sense and i liked it as a plot point. My biggest issue is i wish we got to see more of it in the flashbacks, see Kylo being aggressive/acting differently etc during training and Luke catching on that something was wrong.

I would have been okay with it if they had just not made Luke completely give up after. Though I still really think that just killing off the New Jedi Order and resetting everything to like they were in OT was a huge mistake that really crippled the potential of the ST.

Definitely. I understand that they wanted to stick with what worked, but I would've preferred a logical continuation of the story to what was in my mind a crappy half-remake. I think it all would've gone a whole lot better if they'd cherry-picked the best of the Thrawn Trilogy and X-Wing series and based the movies off of that.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:17 pm

Andsed wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
That sounds like a reasonable position. Still stand by my points but this is cool too. Not to say that andsed points where un reasonable, but that is a new perspective I didn't think of. I like it.

I still don't think it's world breaking. 1080 ships in 30 years assuming advanced quick construction methods where used is reasonable.

Plus can we talk about how it was revealed? Just like everything else in Palpatinens introduction it was fantastic.

You are displaying a grave misunderstanding how ships are built in Star Wars. They cannot just be built anywhere. Just like how one cannot make a tank or naval vessel without a factory. You need production centers like shipyards to do so en mass. No exceptions. And it takes time. In the decade or so it was around the Empire (with most of the Galaxy) made around 25,000 ISD´s. The mere idea that this tiny cult with not even 1 percent of the resasources of the Empire could build 1/25th of that numbers of ships bigger and more powerful than an ISD is absurd. No shipyard or anything of the sort are shown on Exegol. So Palpatine building over 1,000 Star Xyston Destroyers(which, again are entirely new vessels bigger than an ISD) is simply not possible. It is not only world breaking but also lazy writing. Just giving Palpatine a big fleet because he needs to be a big threat now and we clearly need more fucking planet destroyers. But no we need 1,000 planet destroyers because fuck it. It is not like that is so fucking over the top it is going to make half the audience groan and roll their fucking eyes.

The fleet is not only world breaking but is absurd and it´s mere goddamn presence makes the movie impossible to be taken with any kind of seriousness. It is like a child claiming to have 10 trillion billion soldiers. Silly, over the top and makes no goddamm sense.

I didn't hear any groans from the theater I was in.

You ignored my statements on just stealing the raw materials and buliding it in secret over the 30 years.

I didn't feel it was world breaking. I still had fun with the movie then and now.

Sorry for diging this up. I hope I haven't been rude to anyone here.
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:20 pm

Pythaga wrote:
Andsed wrote:I would have been okay with it if they had just not made Luke completely give up after. Though I still really think that just killing off the New Jedi Order and resetting everything to like they were in OT was a huge mistake that really crippled the potential of the ST.

Definitely. I understand that they wanted to stick with what worked, but I would've preferred a logical continuation of the story to what was in my mind a crappy half-remake. I think it all would've gone a whole lot better if they'd cherry-picked the best of the Thrawn Trilogy and X-Wing series and based the movies off of that.

Honestly pretty much any kind of actual continuation would have been better than basically the OT but bigger, messier and flashier.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:23 pm

Is it weird that one of of my biggest issues TFA was the idiotic bombers used by the Resistance?
You're fighting in a highly technological setting IN SPACE, there's no fucking reason to use bomber designs that rely on actually FLyiNG OVER thE TARGET AND DROPPING YOUR BOMBS!
What is this WW2?

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:27 pm

Genivaria wrote:Is it weird that one of of my biggest issues TFA was the idiotic bombers used by the Resistance?
You're fighting in a highly technological setting IN SPACE, there's no fucking reason to use bomber designs that rely on actually FLyiNG OVER thE TARGET AND DROPPING YOUR BOMBS!
What is this WW2?

For real. I thought those bombers would be like moving gun platforms with shit loads of turrets and able to take a beating. Or they like have missile racks or something. But no, they are just useless. Slow and with weak armor there is no situation where they would be really useful. You should just use Y-wings if you need bombers. They can actually make it to their target.

Also they showed up in TLJ, not TFA.
Last edited by Andsed on Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:28 pm

Genivaria wrote:Is it weird that one of of my biggest issues TFA was the idiotic bombers used by the Resistance?
What is this WW2?

Did you mean TLJ?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:35 pm

Andsed wrote:
What is this WW2?

For real. I thought those bombers would be like moving gun platforms with shit loads of turrets and able to take a beating. Or they like have missile racks or something. But no, they are just useless. Slow and with weak armor there is no situation where they would be really useful. You should just use Y-wings if you need bombers. They can actually make it to their target.

Also they showed up in TLJ, not TFA.

Fedel wrote:
What is this WW2?

Did you mean TLJ?

My mistake, I have a hard time remembering since I saw each of them exactly once and then tried to suppress most of the movies.
Though the one thing I do approve of is the First Order's update to the Stormtrooper armor design.

I mean it looks like you can actually see out the damn helmet now.

Ism
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ism » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:40 pm

What is this WW2?

Things like this I try to let slide, but when it's something important to the plot, as the bombers are, I just can't ignore it. The worst part is that they seem so at odds with the hit-and-run tactics one would expect the Resistance to favor.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:56 pm

Ism wrote:
What is this WW2?

Things like this I try to let slide, but when it's something important to the plot, as the bombers are, I just can't ignore it. The worst part is that they seem so at odds with the hit-and-run tactics one would expect the Resistance to favor.

Let’s see. Super slow and thus incapable of keeping up with a fighter escort. Lacks defenses against enemy starfighters and can be easily destroyed. Yeah they are useless. They honestly should have used Y wings. Honestly I would take the Flying Fortresses I believe they are based on over them. Those things could take a hit and defend themselves from enemy fighters.
Last edited by Andsed on Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:26 pm

Anyone else watch Generation Tech, love their reviews of Star Wars vehicles and factions.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:43 pm

Genivaria wrote:Anyone else watch Generation Tech, love their reviews of Star Wars vehicles and factions.

Down with dolphins!
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:48 am

Fedel wrote:Amazing SW fanart I stumbled across:

Just found artist page (Samuel Kim, who just made a medieval version of clones theme which is awesome, uses his artwork) dude has some fantastic art.

Link to it incase you want to check it out:

Last edited by Andsed on Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction