NATION

PASSWORD

Star Wars: The Force Shall Free Us All

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

If you could have a legacy upon the Star Wars galaxy, how would you want to be remembered?

As the fearless Jedi Knight, first into the fight against evil
4%
As the peacemaking Jedi Master
13%
As the shadow that lurks in the dark, influencing the galaxy with subtlety
11%
As the Sith Master that reveals themselves and dominates all opposition
21%
As the rogue who finds their fortune
2%
As the crime boss who lavishes in luxury
1%
As the bounty hunter that lives long enough to retire
8%
As the veteran soldier who fights for their cause for a lifetime
12%
As the daredevil explorer, placing their lives on the line to map the galaxy and reshape its very structure
12%
Dude, this galaxy's frickin' crazy, just let me be a normal civilian
15%

Total votes : 84

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:59 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Fedel wrote:
One where we sort of agree. I don't think it outright RUINED him but it was a step down from previous portrayals.

And what exactly did he do onscreen in the cartoon for that to be a step down?

This i imagine is what is being referred to.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:00 pm

The Clonetroopers deserved to be given their own planet/ system to live on and create a society of martial prowess that is fanatically loyal to the republic.

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:00 pm

Genivaria wrote:The Clonetroopers deserved to be given their own planet/ system to live on and create a society of martial prowess that is fanatically loyal to the republic.

So Kamino?
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:04 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Fedel wrote:
One where we sort of agree. I don't think it outright RUINED him but it was a step down from previous portrayals.

And what exactly did he do onscreen in the cartoon for that to be a step down?

He was depicted as cunning, effective, courageous and powerful in the miniseries. The first scene having Grievous scuttle away from Anakin and Kenobi didn't exactly uphold those last two traits.
Last edited by Fedel on Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:04 pm

Genivaria wrote:The Clonetroopers deserved to be given their own planet/ system to live on and create a society of martial prowess that is fanatically loyal to the republic.

Sadly that would have required the Empire and the general populace giving a shit about them, something I do not believe was really the case. The Jedi were some of the few who really did care about the clones which makes Order 66 even more painful.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:07 pm

Yeah, I don't see it going that way. Set the Clones free and give them run of their own society, and you'd be looking at a big time rebellion sooner than later.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:08 pm

Do that, but take out the “fanatically loyal to the Republic part,” then you have Kal Skirata’s little retirement property on Mandalore.
Hot Girls Vote

I drive wee-woo wagon and professionally distribute band-aids. For some ungodly reason they trusted me with drugs and I am using them to hijack my own gender.

As the top of the sig says. Singularity technology and Juggernaut military by The Pacific Standards. We're good now, sort of.

This nation was developed under the influence of metal

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:38 pm

Dylar wrote:

So Kamino?

Kamino was run by the Kaminoans, not the Clones.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:35 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Dylar wrote:So Kamino?

Kamino was run by the Kaminoans, not the Clones.

Didn't the Clones try overthrowing them once?
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:39 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Kamino was run by the Kaminoans, not the Clones.

Didn't the Clones try overthrowing them once?

Not that I know of. You're probably thinking of the clone rebellion against the Empire from Battlefront 2
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:41 pm

Dylar wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Didn't the Clones try overthrowing them once?

Not that I know of. You're probably thinking of the clone rebellion against the Empire from Battlefront 2

That level broke me. Why would they send in the clone bois to kill clone bois? That’s just cruel.
Hot Girls Vote

I drive wee-woo wagon and professionally distribute band-aids. For some ungodly reason they trusted me with drugs and I am using them to hijack my own gender.

As the top of the sig says. Singularity technology and Juggernaut military by The Pacific Standards. We're good now, sort of.

This nation was developed under the influence of metal

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:41 pm

Kathol Rift wrote:
Dylar wrote:Not that I know of. You're probably thinking of the clone rebellion against the Empire from Battlefront 2

That level broke me. Why would they send in the clone bois to kill clone bois? That’s just cruel.

Because the Empire is cruel, and because Imperial Stormtroopers would've been thrashed by the rebel Clones.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:01 am

Kathol Rift wrote:
Dylar wrote:Not that I know of. You're probably thinking of the clone rebellion against the Empire from Battlefront 2

Because it wasn't until after that point that the Stormtrooper Corps started being made up of non-clones.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:31 pm

TLJ is on right now and for all of its horrendous flaws I think making Luke a failure as a teacher was a great decision. If not for Holdo and all the shitty ha ha moments it would probably be the best of the disney films.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:40 pm

Impaled Nazarene wrote:TLJ is on right now and for all of its horrendous flaws I think making Luke a failure as a teacher was a great decision. If not for Holdo and all the shitty ha ha moments it would probably be the best of the disney films.

I am not opposed to on principle, I just think it was executed poorly. Luke trying to kill Ben felt out of character for me and so did him just totally giving up after. Not to mention I honestly hated that they just killed off the New Jedi Order(though that is more on JJ and TFA then TLk.)
Last edited by Andsed on Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:41 pm

I just learned Babu Frik was voiced by the chick who played Moaning Myrtle in the Harry Potter movies.

Learn something new every day.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:45 pm

Andsed wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:TLJ is on right now and for all of its horrendous flaws I think making Luke a failure as a teacher was a great decision. If not for Holdo and all the shitty ha ha moments it would probably be the best of the disney films.

I am not opposed to on principle, I just think it was executed poorly. Luke trying to kill Ben felt out of character for me and so did him just totally giving up after. Not to mention I honestly hated that they just killed off the New Jedi Order(though that is more on JJ and TFA then TLk.)

Luke trying to kill Ben is so out of character that I actually ignore it because while Luke, Han, and especially Leia act out of character to an extent that one scene is an abomination.
Anarchist

Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:51 pm

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Andsed wrote:I am not opposed to on principle, I just think it was executed poorly. Luke trying to kill Ben felt out of character for me and so did him just totally giving up after. Not to mention I honestly hated that they just killed off the New Jedi Order(though that is more on JJ and TFA then TLk.)

Luke trying to kill Ben is so out of character that I actually ignore it because while Luke, Han, and especially Leia act out of character to an extent that one scene is an abomination.

Luke's always been a dumbass bitch-boy, though.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:53 pm

I mean, it doesn't seem very out of character to me. Luke always had a habit of acting rashly. Like when he jogged off to fight dear old dad before he finished his training.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:00 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Luke trying to kill Ben is so out of character that I actually ignore it because while Luke, Han, and especially Leia act out of character to an extent that one scene is an abomination.

Was is the correct term. Luke used to be a whiny impulsive farm boy. His whole arc was about becoming a Jedi and growing as a person. Having him revert to the same old version of himself came off lazy and really unsatisfying. Luke trying to kill Ben is not something he would do. He was willing to believe in and spare Vader who was a fucking monster. Killing his own nephew instead of talking to him and when that went wrong leaving his friends to die? That is just not something I can see Luke doing.
Last edited by Andsed on Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:05 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:I mean, it doesn't seem very out of character to me. Luke always had a habit of acting rashly. Like when he jogged off to fight dear old dad before he finished his training.

There's acting rashly and then there's ignoring the entirety of episode 6.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqaiKmm8gsY
Anarchist

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:06 pm

Andsed wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Was is the correct term. Luke used to be a whiny impulsive farm boy. His whole arc was about becoming a Jedi and growing as a person. Having him revert to the same old version of himself came off lazy and really unsatisfying. Luke trying to kill Ben is not something he would do. He was willing to believe in and spare Vader who was a fucking monster. Killing his own nephew instead of talking to him and when that went wrong leaving his friends to die? That is just not something I can see Luke doing.

The movie states that he thought about for a fleeting moment and came to his senses very quickly, the whole new Jedi order was under the dark influence of whatever Snoke was doing. Sure, him doing that was uncharacteristic but that can be chalked up to external forces.

So I could give him a pass for considering it, but I do think that unsheathing your light saber was perhaps too far afield and there could have, perhaps, been a subtler way to convey that Luke secretly kinda wanted to murder him a little. It might've been neat to throw some unreliability into the narrative, too.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:11 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Andsed wrote:Was is the correct term. Luke used to be a whiny impulsive farm boy. His whole arc was about becoming a Jedi and growing as a person. Having him revert to the same old version of himself came off lazy and really unsatisfying. Luke trying to kill Ben is not something he would do. He was willing to believe in and spare Vader who was a fucking monster. Killing his own nephew instead of talking to him and when that went wrong leaving his friends to die? That is just not something I can see Luke doing.

The movie states that he thought about for a fleeting moment and came to his senses very quickly, the whole new Jedi order was under the dark influence of whatever Snoke was doing. Sure, him doing that was uncharacteristic but that can be chalked up to external forces.

So I could give him a pass for considering it, but I do think that unsheathing your light saber was perhaps too far afield and there could have, perhaps, been a subtler way to convey that Luke secretly kinda wanted to murder him a little. It might've been neat to throw some unreliability into the narrative, too.

If that it was it I could give it a pass. But then having Luke completely give up? That is what really breaks his character for me. Luke is the type to make mistakes, but he does not just give up like that. Especially when his loved ones are in danger. If it had been Luke had traveled to Ach-To to learn from his mistake and the ancient Jedi and consider what to do and he actually trained Rey and helped the resistance then it would sit a lot better with me.
Last edited by Andsed on Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:14 pm

Andsed wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

If that it was it I could give it a pass. But then having Luke completely give up? That is what really breaks his character for me. Luke is the type to make mistakes, but he does not just give up like that. Especially when his loved ones are in danger. If it had been Luke had traveled to Ach-To to learn from his mistake and the ancient Jedi and consider what to do and he actually trained Rey and helped the resistance then it would sit a lot better with me.

Yeah, I agree. Having him meditate on looking to the past for solutions (instead of outright giving up) could also jive with the pre-existing themes of the movie. Plus it would make the scene with Yoda burning the sacred Jedi texts from beyond the grave and Luke's reaction... make a little more sense?

As for helping the Resistance? I don't think that would have ever been in the cards, meta/production-wise. Part of the overarching themes of the first two movies (haven't seen RoS) is handing stuff to a new generation. I think having him go out as a tricksy force-hologram was probably the best it was going to get for his final ending.
Last edited by Valrifell on Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:37 pm

One could make the same argument for Palpatine if he had been portrayed as a saint in TROS who had repented of his evil ways after witnessing his apprentice deny his teachings in RotJ in order to save his son.

I don't have a problem with such outcomes in and of themselves, I have a problem with the fact that we wouldn't have been shown the character developing into a bizarro version of themselves.

It's why I have a problem with how Luke was depicted in TLJ. You can't even use ancillary material as an excuse since nothing in the Disney's tie in material even hinted at that.
Last edited by Fedel on Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction