NATION

PASSWORD

Star Wars: The Force Shall Free Us All

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

If you could have a legacy upon the Star Wars galaxy, how would you want to be remembered?

As the fearless Jedi Knight, first into the fight against evil
4%
As the peacemaking Jedi Master
13%
As the shadow that lurks in the dark, influencing the galaxy with subtlety
11%
As the Sith Master that reveals themselves and dominates all opposition
21%
As the rogue who finds their fortune
2%
As the crime boss who lavishes in luxury
1%
As the bounty hunter that lives long enough to retire
8%
As the veteran soldier who fights for their cause for a lifetime
12%
As the daredevil explorer, placing their lives on the line to map the galaxy and reshape its very structure
12%
Dude, this galaxy's frickin' crazy, just let me be a normal civilian
15%

Total votes : 84

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:26 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:To be fair, judging from your posts here you'd also steer them clear of the TCW, PT, Christmas Special, ST, the Mandalorian, OT and whatever Disney is coming up next.

...I'm not sure what half those acronyms means...

The Clone Wars, Prequel Trilogy, Death, Sequel Trilogy, Jawas fun time, Original Trilogy.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Pythaga
Envoy

Founded: Mar 31, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Pythaga » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:26 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:To be fair, judging from your posts here you'd also steer them clear of the TCW, PT, Christmas Special, ST, the Mandalorian, OT and whatever Disney is coming up next.

...I'm not sure what half those acronyms means...

The Clone Wars, Prequel Trilogy, Sequel Trilogy, and Original Trilogy.

Edit: Ninja'd
Last edited by Pythaga on Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:27 am

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Fedel wrote:One would reasonably presume that when Ezra is shown to struggle to do stuff like influence a small animal that him summoning a million space whales to emergy from hyperspace to plow into Thrawn's fleet that is about to destroy the Rebels on Lothal ( a seemingly hopeless situation ) is not something you would expect him to be able to do and is thus a rather unexpected event. Maybe that's just me though.
He did befriend them when he saved them from a mining station or something earlier in the season and even then he'd actually had to go in deep space to get them. It's not like he summoned them on the spot, it also showed he growed in his use of the Force.

I view it similarly to how I view Lando going across the galaxy to get a random collection of people with ships to face off against the largest and most powerful military fleet that had ever existed up to that point.

The ability to influence living things with the Force and ability to influence people with words to persuade them are both concepts that exist within Star Wars.

Ezra "befriending" space whales and "Ezra steering a bunch of space whales through hyperspace to slam into a military fleet" is similar to "Lando befriending people" and "Lando being able to assemble a fleet of ships large enough to take on the largest/most powerful fleet in galactic history in very little time."

The characters accomplishing a less effective versions of such events would seem to be reasonable but as they were, they seem rather unlikely to me.
Last edited by Fedel on Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:32 am

Pythaga wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:...I'm not sure what half those acronyms means...

Oh. Well, of course I'd advise someone against The Clone Wars. It's a garbage show.

But who'd advise someone off the movies? That's just crazy.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:33 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Pythaga wrote:

Oh. Well, of course I'd advise someone against The Clone Wars. It's a garbage show.

People in this thread forget how proud of his double standards Ameri is. He doesn't care what you think. His opinion is right and you're wrong. No justifications ( on his part ) necessary.

I on the other hand, while debating you on why I think something is right or wrong, will not fault you for liking something.

It's not as if preference is something you truly have any control over, or do you disagree Ameri?
Last edited by Fedel on Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:34 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Pythaga wrote:

Odd way to spell some of the best Star Wars content out there but aight.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:36 am

Andsed wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Oh. Well, of course I'd advise someone against The Clone Wars. It's a garbage show.

Odd way to spell some of the best Star Wars content out there but aight.

That show may be the best on some other planet. But the issue here is that this is earth.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:37 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Andsed wrote:Odd way to spell some of the best Star Wars content out there but aight.

That show may be the best on some other planet. But the issue here is that this is earth.

Why even bother stating an opinion you won't defend? We've been over this and in the end you state that it's "just how you feel."

That's totally fine, but why bother repeating it over and over? Isn't that just a waste of time? And when I say a "waste of time" I am not implying that any actions has any more or less meaning than another, I'm simply asking you what purpose you PERSONALLY believe such an action serves tbh.
Last edited by Fedel on Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:38 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Andsed wrote:Odd way to spell some of the best Star Wars content out there but aight.

Uh huh. But here on Earth TCW still features some of the best stories in Star Wars. Things like the Umbara arc, Siege of Manadlore Arc, the Fives arc, Shadow Collective Arc etc.
Last edited by Andsed on Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:38 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:

The Clone Wars, Prequel Trilogy, Death, Sequel Trilogy, Jawas fun time, Original Trilogy.

I see what you did there, twice. :lol:

Fedel wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:He did befriend them when he saved them from a mining station or something earlier in the season and even then he'd actually had to go in deep space to get them. It's not like he summoned them on the spot, it also showed he growed in his use of the Force.

I view it similarly to how I view Lando going across the galaxy to get a random collection of people with ships to face off against the largest and most powerful military fleet that had ever existed up to that point.

The ability to influence living things with the Force and ability to influence people with words to persuade them are both concepts that exist within Star Wars.

Ezra "befriending" space whales and "Ezra steering a bunch of space whales through hyperspace to slam into a military fleet" is similar to "Lando befriending people" and "Lando being able to assemble a fleet of ships large enough to take on the largest/most powerful fleet in galactic history in very little time."

The characters accomplishing a less effective versions of such events would seem to be reasonable but as they were, they seem rather unlikely to me.
Getting a proton torpedo in a two meter wide ventilation shaft could also be considered unlikely :p
You have a point, I just wanted to mention that Ezra's space whale plan was at least a bit foreshadowed. And Lando does probably know a lot of people, though they might not all come to help.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:40 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:

Jawas fun time. ngl that got a sensible chuckle outta me.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:41 am

Andsed wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:That show may be the best on some other planet. But the issue here is that this is earth.

Uh huh. But here on Earth TCW still features some of the best stories in Star Wars. Things like the Umbara arc, Siege of Manadlore Arc, the Fives arc, Shadow Collective Arc etc.

Yeah, it also has Ahsoka. Whose mere existence kind of nullifies any claims of good writing.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:41 am

HC Eredivisie wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:The Clone Wars, Prequel Trilogy, Death, Sequel Trilogy, Jawas fun time, Original Trilogy.

I see what you did there, twice. :lol:

Fedel wrote:

Getting a proton torpedo in a two meter wide ventilation shaft could also be considered unlikely :p
You have a point, I just wanted to mention that Ezra's space whale plan was at least a bit foreshadowed. And Lando does probably know a lot of people, though they might not all come to help.

"It's not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters." - Luke Skywalker.

:>

But yeah, I agree prior to Rogue One addressing that inconsistency, the exhaust existing in the first place is a glaring problem with ANH.
Last edited by Fedel on Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:44 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Andsed wrote:Uh huh. But here on Earth TCW still features some of the best stories in Star Wars. Things like the Umbara arc, Siege of Manadlore Arc, the Fives arc, Shadow Collective Arc etc.

Yeah, it also has Ahsoka. Whose mere existence kind of nullifies any claims of good writing.

Depends on which Ashoka were talking about. Movie and season 1-2 Ashoka? Pretty annoying character. Season 3-7? An amazing well developed character. Something you would know if you would actually bother to watch the rest of the show. Instead of just the weakest parts.
Last edited by Andsed on Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:49 am

Andsed wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Yeah, it also has Ahsoka. Whose mere existence kind of nullifies any claims of good writing.

Depends on which Ashoka were talking about. Movie and season 1-2 Ashoka? Pretty annoying character. Season 3-7? An amazing well developed character. Something you would know if you would actually bother to watch the rest of the show. Instead of just the weakest parts.

Dude ( I use that term for both males and females ) there's no point. I went through a multi-page conversation with Ameri trying to get to the reason for why he feels the way he does. At first he gave weak justifications, but when I pointed out the contradictions and flaws in his reasoning he ultimately defaulted to "this is how I feel and I think I'm right"

When I pointed out to him that, going by that logic, other people's opinions would be equally valid to his own he said "Nah." Or some other form of denial.

Literally no point in discussing these things with him, tbh.
Last edited by Fedel on Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:50 am

Fedel wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:I see what you did there, twice. :lol:

"It's not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters."

But yeah, I agree prior to Rogue One addressing that inconsistency, the exhaust existing in the first place is a glaring problem with ANH.

I did like Rogue One explaining that, it was pretty clever.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:50 am

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Fedel wrote:
"It's not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters."

I did like Rogue One explaining that, it was pretty clever.

It's why it's my favorite SW movies of the Disney era.
Last edited by Fedel on Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:58 am

Andsed wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Yeah, it also has Ahsoka. Whose mere existence kind of nullifies any claims of good writing.

Yeah, I could do that. Or I could watch something that I don't hate. I suffered through 1 movie and 22 episodes of that show. No more will I endure.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:59 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Andsed wrote:Depends on which Ashoka were talking about. Movie and season 1-2 Ashoka? Pretty annoying character. Season 3-7? An amazing well developed character. Something you would know if you would actually bother to watch the rest of the show. Instead of just the weakest parts.

No more will I endure.

The oppression this man has faced is heartbreaking.
Last edited by Fedel on Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:01 pm

NS needs a dark mode. I've been on this screen for two days and my eyes are stabbing.

Fedel wrote:Just noticed the debate that's going on right now.

How can you think it's possible for a single planet to have the resources to build the largest fleet the galaxy has even seen ( even larger than the Imperial Military at its height or the FO which, according to sourcebooks, canonically surpassed the Empire )? And to do so unnoticed at that.

I think there was some miscommunication going on here. I never said that they got the resources from one planet, rather ever sense Return Of The Jedi they have been hording materials by stealing from everywhere and everywhere they could. Building a 10,000 strong fleet over 30 years using automated construction droids, scraped dead Star destroyers from the Empire and re-fiting them to have the big cannon.

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Star Wars has droids with fully sentient AIs. Why not steal some construction droids? Your comparison to irl nazis is an apple to oranges comparison. Not only would that imply that Hitler had access to magic but also it would be the far future with access to automated manufacturing systems, sentient AIs, the ability to go to anywhere in the galaxy to steal materials, and lots of other things. But if you want to make the ww2 comparison I could boot up HOI4 and spend 30 years as a neutral nation to build a lot of ships while the rest of the world burns in the war.

Again, I still doubt that. especially if it Palpatine cloning sillyness if thats how the cultists where made.

If they are a 'nuetral' nation. Then they need supplies and resources to make said ships and to get a steady stream of supplies. Which would draw attention.. like why the hell are smugglers going to God knows where.

Also it defeats the purpose of the sith wayfinders.

I get it, I suck at spelling.

This runs over another plot point in the movie, you only need the sith wayfinders for the first time you visit. After that you can just post the coordinates on the map and you can just go to whenever you want once you know where the hell it is.

TBH I just want this debate to end, my eyes are killing me. I still don't think it's bad writing, you can. You can have whatever opinion you want but to me it's not unrealistic.

Pythaga
Envoy

Founded: Mar 31, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Pythaga » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:03 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:NS needs a dark mode. I've been on this screen for two days and my eyes are stabbing.

NS does have one. Go to your settings, and change the theme to dark. It works on the forums too!

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:04 pm

Fedel wrote:Just noticed the debate that's going on right now.

How can you think it's possible for a single planet to have the resources to build the largest fleet the galaxy has even seen ( even larger than the Imperial Military at its height or the FO which, according to sourcebooks, canonically surpassed the Empire )? And to do so unnoticed at that.

I think there was some miscommunication going on here. I never said that they got the resources from one planet, rather ever sense Return Of The Jedi they have been hording materials by stealing from everywhere and everywhere they could. Building a 10,000 strong fleet over 30 years using automated construction droids, scraped dead Star destroyers from the Empire and re-fiting them to have the big cannon.

And how would they realistically accomplish this "accumulation of resources" without giving away Exegol's location?

They literally accumulated enough materials that they created a fleet of capital ships larger than any that had ever existed up to that point.

It doesn't seem like this should be possible given Palpatine was unable to replicate this accomplishment with an entire GALAXY'S resources at his disposal yet only has control of a single barren planet during the post OT era whilst having to maintain the secrecy of the planet's existence.
Last edited by Fedel on Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:05 pm

Dark mode is amazing:

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:10 pm

Fedel wrote:

And how would they realistically accomplish this "accumulation of resources" without giving away Exagol's location?

They literally accumulated enough materials that they created a fleet of capital ships larger than any that had ever existed up to that point.

Not to mention they did this all without any shipyards or major production facilities that we know of and no trained workers to run and maintain things. It just reeks of JJ just lazily putting it in without any real thought just so he can do the Death Star times 10,000. Something that seems to be a problem in this and TFA (cough cough Starkiller base.)
Last edited by Andsed on Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:10 pm

I just don't understand why people devote their time to try to justify nonsense. Can't you just admit it doesn't really make sense but that YOU PERSONALLY do not find it to be an issue?

I'd be totally and completely fine with that. Well, fine with it insofar as I'm happy you'r happy. Not fine with it insofar as your support of it will unfortunately lead to more things LIKE it being produced which is not something I PERSONALLY desire. But we have to vote for our preferences with our wallets. *Shrug*
Last edited by Fedel on Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction