NATION

PASSWORD

Star Wars: The Force Shall Free Us All

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

If you could have a legacy upon the Star Wars galaxy, how would you want to be remembered?

As the fearless Jedi Knight, first into the fight against evil
4%
As the peacemaking Jedi Master
13%
As the shadow that lurks in the dark, influencing the galaxy with subtlety
11%
As the Sith Master that reveals themselves and dominates all opposition
21%
As the rogue who finds their fortune
2%
As the crime boss who lavishes in luxury
1%
As the bounty hunter that lives long enough to retire
8%
As the veteran soldier who fights for their cause for a lifetime
12%
As the daredevil explorer, placing their lives on the line to map the galaxy and reshape its very structure
12%
Dude, this galaxy's frickin' crazy, just let me be a normal civilian
15%

Total votes : 84

Sildorian Empire
Envoy

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Sildorian Empire » Fri May 15, 2020 10:31 am

Vassenor wrote:
Sildorian Empire wrote:I would have accepted it if you'd pointed out that the whole situation was Palpatine trying to "turn" Ezra (If you notice, Palps actually enters the WbW from the same portal-thing) but that? Yes. It is hypocritical. They could have made a plan to make Kanan survive without letting others know he had, and allow him to come back to "civilization" later (like what happened with Ahsoka). Just force-pull him out of the blast-zone from a distance the moment after he pushes the Gunship away, and put him back into the blastzone after the explosion so he doesn't die. Or literally any other solution. How is Kanan remaining dead a "need of the many" anyway lmao [Also, given Ahsoka not dying doesn't create a Time Paradox, I'm pretty sure that doesn't actually exist in SW canon].

...So how is Ezra dying after saving Kanan and thus being unable to go back in time to save him not a paradox?

So how would Ezra die by saving Kanan in the first place? That's like saying Ezra should have died by saving Ahsoka.
Sildorian Empire
Space-faring, quasi-xenophobic fanatic materialist humanoids and associates
Overview || Archon | Military | Species
Daily News: IVC Lothal enters battle with new Xadian Flagship the Dreadnought Ronthawa in Galataea. Lothal had destroyed the 3 previous Xadian flagships in battle. | Mugeya fails to crack Wrothgar Prime, forced to retreat to unknown location in Sildorian Space by the Wrothgar Fleet. IVC Pride II to be rerouted to aid in finding and potentially capturing the hostile World Cracker. | New strain of the Frontline Pox breaks out in Nodex Prime, particularly affects the Xuni thralls. Planetary government passes edict to cull Xuni population to fight the disease before it can affect Silda population.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri May 15, 2020 10:37 am

He sees Kanan holding back the explosive wave. Ezra tries to intervene but Ahsoka tells him that his master gave his life so that he and the others could live. If he is taken out of this moment, she warns him that the other rebels would die. When Ezra says that she doesn't understand, Ahsoka responds that she couldn't save her master and neither could he. She tells him to let go and honor Kanan's sacrifice. Ezra reluctantly agrees and watches his master's final moments. She tells him that he must recognize that Kanan found the moment when he was needed most and that he did what he had to do for everyone. Ezra realizes that this was his final lesson. He wishes that his life was different and that his parents were still around.

Besides, from a narrative perspective his survival makes no sense, given that Luke's character arc between ANH and ESB is that there's been no-one to train him after Ben died.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Sildorian Empire
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sildorian Empire » Fri May 15, 2020 10:41 am

Vassenor wrote:
He sees Kanan holding back the explosive wave. Ezra tries to intervene but Ahsoka tells him that his master gave his life so that he and the others could live. If he is taken out of this moment, she warns him that the other rebels would die. When Ezra says that she doesn't understand, Ahsoka responds that she couldn't save her master and neither could he. She tells him to let go and honor Kanan's sacrifice. Ezra reluctantly agrees and watches his master's final moments. She tells him that he must recognize that Kanan found the moment when he was needed most and that he did what he had to do for everyone. Ezra realizes that this was his final lesson. He wishes that his life was different and that his parents were still around.

Besides, from a narrative perspective his survival makes no sense, given that Luke's character arc between ANH and ESB is that there's been no-one to train him after Ben died.

1- Like I said, they could have waited for Kanan to force-push the gunship away -thus rescuing the other rebels-, force-pull him away from the explosion, explain to him what happened, and put him back in the place. Or use any other thousands of possible methods to reach this same result. Like they did with Ahsoka.

2- Yes. But that's a Doylist explanation. It makes no sense within the parameters of the story, only in the larger meta narrative -which is pretty much why Ezra himself later gets marooned on Chimeraea alongside Thrawn.
Last edited by Sildorian Empire on Fri May 15, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sildorian Empire
Daily News: IVC Lothal enters battle with new Xadian Flagship the Dreadnought Ronthawa in Galataea. Lothal had destroyed the 3 previous Xadian flagships in battle. | Mugeya fails to crack Wrothgar Prime, forced to retreat to unknown location in Sildorian Space by the Wrothgar Fleet. IVC Pride II to be rerouted to aid in finding and potentially capturing the hostile World Cracker. | New strain of the Frontline Pox breaks out in Nodex Prime, particularly affects the Xuni thralls. Planetary government passes edict to cull Xuni population to fight the disease before it can affect Silda population.

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Fri May 15, 2020 10:44 am

Sildorian Empire wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

1- Like I said, they could have waited for Kanan to force-push the gunship away -thus rescuing the other rebels-, force-pull him away from the explosion, explain to him what happened, and put him back in the place. Or use any other thousands of possible methods to reach this same result. Like they did with Ahsoka.

I mean Ahsoka was in the middle of a saber fight and not a giant fuel explosion
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Sildorian Empire
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sildorian Empire » Fri May 15, 2020 10:47 am

Dylar wrote:
Sildorian Empire wrote:1- Like I said, they could have waited for Kanan to force-push the gunship away -thus rescuing the other rebels-, force-pull him away from the explosion, explain to him what happened, and put him back in the place. Or use any other thousands of possible methods to reach this same result. Like they did with Ahsoka.

I mean Ahsoka was in the middle of a saber fight and not a giant fuel explosion

That doesn't really mean much when you have The Force though. I get why it didn't happen. The Meta narrative of Luke being "The Last Jedi", so to speak, necessitates that all the Jedi are removed from the fray. Something they'll have to do with Cal Kestis too now that his story's getting a sequel.
Sildorian Empire

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Fri May 15, 2020 11:20 am

Sildorian Empire wrote:
Dylar wrote:I mean Ahsoka was in the middle of a saber fight and not a giant fuel explosion

That doesn't really mean much when you have The Force though. I get why it didn't happen. The Meta narrative of Luke being "The Last Jedi", so to speak, necessitates that all the Jedi are removed from the fray. Something they'll have to do with Cal Kestis too now that his story's getting a sequel.

Unrelated tangent here but I really dislike the idea of Luke (and now Rey) being "the last Jedi" because of all the story ideas it has killed. Like the story possibility's for a new Jedi Order are basically endless. We could have had all these old characters like Cal and Ahsoka helping to teach a new Jedi Order alongside Luke which could have made for plenty of great stories examining the Old Order and it's code and how it's flaws. And we could have gotten a bunch of new original Jedi characters giving even more story possibility's. I just really feel like it was a lot of wasted opportunity.
Last edited by Andsed on Fri May 15, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Sildorian Empire
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sildorian Empire » Fri May 15, 2020 11:31 am

Andsed wrote:
Sildorian Empire wrote:That doesn't really mean much when you have The Force though. I get why it didn't happen. The Meta narrative of Luke being "The Last Jedi", so to speak, necessitates that all the Jedi are removed from the fray. Something they'll have to do with Cal Kestis too now that his story's getting a sequel.

Unrelated tangent here but I really dislike the idea of Luke (and now Rey) being "the last Jedi" because of all the story ideas it has killed. Like the story possibility's for a new Jedi Order are basically endless. We could have had all these old characters like Cal and Ahsoka helping to teach a new Jedi Order alongside Luke which could have made for plenty of great stories examining the Old Order and it's code and how it's flaws. And we could have gotten a bunch of new original Jedi characters giving even more story possibility's. I just really feel like it was a lot of wasted opportunity.

I agree with you, but its sadly a inherited and permanent fact that the whole of the canon has to be built around. If you have any other Jedi around 1 BBY, they either have to die, go into hiding, or somehow not come to help Luke Skywalker after the Battle of Yavin
Sildorian Empire

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri May 15, 2020 11:53 am

Bo-Katan is odd. The story treats her like a full on good guy, teaming up with the heroes throughout two going on three shows now and always opposing the main antagonists. Thing is, she was with Pre Vizsla up until his death. She was fine with him and his horrible actions and only left because Maul took over. Sure, we never see her personally commit terrible Death Watch atrocities, but she was canonically there the whole time. She was around when Pre Vizsla was introduced. Around when he launched evil scheme after evil scheme. Around for his entire tenure as an antagonist. She wasn’t in the show yet, but she was canonically there. Canonically complicit.

She only leaves because Pre Vizsla senpai dies horribly and thus can never notice her.

Satine is the good guy. Satine tried to end eons of space Attila the Hunism. Bo-Katan wanted to return to it and was fine with the violence required to make this so. She’s only palatable as a good guy because we the audience just don’t see her do anything wrong.

Bonus villainy points come from knowledge of Death Watch’s backstory in the old EU. Death Watch had long been involved in a civil war over Mandalore, and Pre’s predecessor, Tor Vizsla, was a super card carrying villain. He slaughtered peasants, raped teenage girls, bragged about opening people’s throats with his bare friggin’ hands, and was otherwise an all around douche. Canonically, since the first six seasons of Clone Wars are part to the old EU and the modern canon, Bo-Katan was there for all this thinking, “Gee, I’m doing the right thing for Mandalore”

She’s also entirely selfish in her actions, helping heroes only when it’s good for her personally. I seriously rolled my eyes at her actions at the end of the new season. She pridefully demands aid from the Republic and acts like they basically need to help her because they’re the space police and she’s a citizen making a lawful complaint or something and is therefore entitled to help. She certainly seems to think she isn’t the deposed leader by default of a former terrorist cell more or less begging a previous enemy for help. She then has a Republic invasion fighting on her behalf, getting many cloned killed in the process (isn’t the moral of Clone Wars that clones are people too?) all so she can be in power. Then, as soon as the fighting is over, she expects the Republic to leave and let her rule independently. Sure, those clones were thirty minutes away from becoming stormtroopers and a Republic occupation would have meant an Imperial occupation, but she doesn’t have any way of knowing that. She’s right for the wrong reasons. I wonder if we the audience are expected to remember she was canonically shooting at Republic characters and pacifist Mandalorians not that long ago.

She strikes me as a selfish, one note character. Maybe she’s meant to be a light shade of gray esque antihero, but having a Death Watch backstory and being primarily motivated by a selfish desire for power at all times pushes her over the line. Imagine we have a high ranking member of Al-Qaeda. Suddenly they lose power and influence when ISIS takes over, so they defect over to the west and suddenly expect help fulfilling their original, extremist goals just because they’re the lesser of two evils now.

She falls into the trap a lot of supposed to be badass female antiheroes fall into in these kinds of actions stories. They want her tough and no nonsense, but she comes across as self-absorbed, overly violent, and severely lacking in empathy. This is how male action heroes were written in the 90’s. Ideally, strong female characters should skip that dark age.

She has a line in the new episodes about wishing she was good at something besides fighting. That’s about the most development I’ve seen from her so far.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Fri May 15, 2020 12:42 pm

Except for the parts that aren't though.

Sildorian Empire wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
It's hypocritical for her to recognise a case of the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few? Ezra pulls Kanan out of that situation, he can't contain the explosion, people die. Including Ezra, and oh hey, you've just created a time paradox.

I would have accepted it if you'd pointed out that the whole situation was Palpatine trying to "turn" Ezra (If you notice, Palps actually enters the WbW from the same portal-thing) but that? Yes. It is hypocritical. They could have made a plan to make Kanan survive without letting others know he had, and allow him to come back to "civilization" later (like what happened with Ahsoka). Just force-pull him out of the blast-zone from a distance the moment after he pushes the Gunship away, and put him back into the blastzone after the explosion so he doesn't die. Or literally any other solution. How is Kanan remaining dead a "need of the many" anyway lmao [Also, given Ahsoka not dying doesn't create a Time Paradox, I'm pretty sure that doesn't actually exist in SW canon].
Ahsoka just got pulled to the future, which would be weird for the people around her (Vader) but didn't change much in her situation. From what I remember Kanan was containing an explosion which would kill people and there was no moment he got be removed without drasticly changing events. The explanation made sense to me at the moment.

Also, I wonder: did Vader think back to his fight with Ahsoka when he killed Obi Wan? Both just suddenly disappeard from him.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri May 15, 2020 1:29 pm

Also, look at the iconography of the portal. The whole thing was a sith illusion.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Fri May 15, 2020 1:35 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:Bo-Katan is odd. The story treats her like a full on good guy, teaming up with the heroes throughout two going on three shows now and always opposing the main antagonists. Thing is, she was with Pre Vizsla up until his death. She was fine with him and his horrible actions and only left because Maul took over. Sure, we never see her personally commit terrible Death Watch atrocities, but she was canonically there the whole time. She was around when Pre Vizsla was introduced. Around when he launched evil scheme after evil scheme. Around for his entire tenure as an antagonist. She wasn’t in the show yet, but she was canonically there. Canonically complicit.

She only leaves because Pre Vizsla senpai dies horribly and thus can never notice her.

Satine is the good guy. Satine tried to end eons of space Attila the Hunism. Bo-Katan wanted to return to it and was fine with the violence required to make this so. She’s only palatable as a good guy because we the audience just don’t see her do anything wrong.

Bonus villainy points come from knowledge of Death Watch’s backstory in the old EU. Death Watch had long been involved in a civil war over Mandalore, and Pre’s predecessor, Tor Vizsla, was a super card carrying villain. He slaughtered peasants, raped teenage girls, bragged about opening people’s throats with his bare friggin’ hands, and was otherwise an all around douche. Canonically, since the first six seasons of Clone Wars are part to the old EU and the modern canon, Bo-Katan was there for all this thinking, “Gee, I’m doing the right thing for Mandalore”

She’s also entirely selfish in her actions, helping heroes only when it’s good for her personally. I seriously rolled my eyes at her actions at the end of the new season. She pridefully demands aid from the Republic and acts like they basically need to help her because they’re the space police and she’s a citizen making a lawful complaint or something and is therefore entitled to help. She certainly seems to think she isn’t the deposed leader by default of a former terrorist cell more or less begging a previous enemy for help. She then has a Republic invasion fighting on her behalf, getting many cloned killed in the process (isn’t the moral of Clone Wars that clones are people too?) all so she can be in power. Then, as soon as the fighting is over, she expects the Republic to leave and let her rule independently. Sure, those clones were thirty minutes away from becoming stormtroopers and a Republic occupation would have meant an Imperial occupation, but she doesn’t have any way of knowing that. She’s right for the wrong reasons. I wonder if we the audience are expected to remember she was canonically shooting at Republic characters and pacifist Mandalorians not that long ago.

She strikes me as a selfish, one note character. Maybe she’s meant to be a light shade of gray esque antihero, but having a Death Watch backstory and being primarily motivated by a selfish desire for power at all times pushes her over the line. Imagine we have a high ranking member of Al-Qaeda. Suddenly they lose power and influence when ISIS takes over, so they defect over to the west and suddenly expect help fulfilling their original, extremist goals just because they’re the lesser of two evils now.

She falls into the trap a lot of supposed to be badass female antiheroes fall into in these kinds of actions stories. They want her tough and no nonsense, but she comes across as self-absorbed, overly violent, and severely lacking in empathy. This is how male action heroes were written in the 90’s. Ideally, strong female characters should skip that dark age.

She has a line in the new episodes about wishing she was good at something besides fighting. That’s about the most development I’ve seen from her so far.

For one point, I’m pretty sure that Tor Viszla’s death watch isn’t canon at all anymore. If it was, they would need to make the True Mandalorians canon, which then makes Jango a Mandalorian. And that completely gets rid of the entire clone wars storyline of the planet of Mandalore giving up their warrior ways, and all the warriors leaving. So Bo-Katan couldn’t have been there for something that didn’t happen in canon. That doesn’t mean that Pre Viszla didn’t do one of the same stuff, because I’m sure that he did, but I’m pretty sure that Tor Viszla isn’t canon.
Hot Girls Vote

I drive wee-woo wagon and professionally distribute band-aids. For some ungodly reason they trusted me with drugs and I am using them to hijack my own gender.

As the top of the sig says. Singularity technology and Juggernaut military by The Pacific Standards. We're good now, sort of.

This nation was developed under the influence of metal

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri May 15, 2020 1:36 pm

Kathol Rift wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:Bo-Katan is odd. The story treats her like a full on good guy, teaming up with the heroes throughout two going on three shows now and always opposing the main antagonists. Thing is, she was with Pre Vizsla up until his death. She was fine with him and his horrible actions and only left because Maul took over. Sure, we never see her personally commit terrible Death Watch atrocities, but she was canonically there the whole time. She was around when Pre Vizsla was introduced. Around when he launched evil scheme after evil scheme. Around for his entire tenure as an antagonist. She wasn’t in the show yet, but she was canonically there. Canonically complicit.

For one point, I’m pretty sure that Tor Viszla’s death watch isn’t canon at all anymore. If it was, they would need to make the True Mandalorians canon, which then makes Jango a Mandalorian. And that completely gets rid of the entire clone wars storyline of the planet of Mandalore giving up their warrior ways, and all the warriors leaving. So Bo-Katan couldn’t have been there for something that didn’t happen in canon. That doesn’t mean that Pre Viszla didn’t do one of the same stuff, because I’m sure that he did, but I’m pretty sure that Tor Viszla isn’t canon.

I mean, yes, I acknowledge that. Just talking about her EU self for a minute, since she exists in both canon and legends.

Her canon self is still a DeathWatchaboo.
Last edited by The first Galactic Republic on Fri May 15, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Fri May 15, 2020 1:40 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:
Kathol Rift wrote:For one point, I’m pretty sure that Tor Viszla’s death watch isn’t canon at all anymore. If it was, they would need to make the True Mandalorians canon, which then makes Jango a Mandalorian. And that completely gets rid of the entire clone wars storyline of the planet of Mandalore giving up their warrior ways, and all the warriors leaving. So Bo-Katan couldn’t have been there for something that didn’t happen in canon. That doesn’t mean that Pre Viszla didn’t do one of the same stuff, because I’m sure that he did, but I’m pretty sure that Tor Viszla isn’t canon.

I mean, yes, I acknowledge that. Just talking about her EU self for a minute, since she exists in both canon and legends.

True enough. In all honesty though, the Death Watch under her control is much more like the True Mandalorians from Legends than the Death Watch from Legends. They are more concerned with just being allowed to be Mandalorian warriors on Mandalore than taking over the galaxy. Legends Death Watch was all about using organized crime to try to rebuild the Mandalorian Empire, but canon Death Watch never mentioned that at all. They just wanted to be on Mandalore again.
Hot Girls Vote

I drive wee-woo wagon and professionally distribute band-aids. For some ungodly reason they trusted me with drugs and I am using them to hijack my own gender.

As the top of the sig says. Singularity technology and Juggernaut military by The Pacific Standards. We're good now, sort of.

Sildorian Empire
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sildorian Empire » Fri May 15, 2020 1:41 pm

Kathol Rift wrote:For one point, I’m pretty sure that Tor Viszla’s death watch isn’t canon at all anymore. If it was, they would need to make the True Mandalorians canon, which then makes Jango a Mandalorian. And that completely gets rid of the entire clone wars storyline of the planet of Mandalore giving up their warrior ways, and all the warriors leaving. So Bo-Katan couldn’t have been there for something that didn’t happen in canon. That doesn’t mean that Pre Viszla didn’t do one of the same stuff, because I’m sure that he did, but I’m pretty sure that Tor Viszla isn’t canon.

Eh. Ignoring the whole part where Lucas himself said Jango's not a mando (which I think is being retcon'd as of The Mandalorian) you could argue that "Jango Fett was not a mando", at least within the boundaries of canon (but not the meta narrative), it's just the position of the New Mandalore, which is decidedly trying to eradicate Mandalorian culture (and possibly exile all the "Warrior clans", some of whom later becoming Death Watch). So Jango being an "actual" mando (culturally, if not "really") doesn't really change anything where New Mandalore and the Clone Wars Era Civil War is concerned.
Sildorian Empire

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri May 15, 2020 1:41 pm

Kathol Rift wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:I mean, yes, I acknowledge that. Just talking about her EU self for a minute, since she exists in both canon and legends.

True enough. In all honesty though, the Death Watch under her control is much more like the True Mandalorians from Legends than the Death Watch from Legends. They are more concerned with just being allowed to be Mandalorian warriors on Mandalore than taking over the galaxy. Legends Death Watch was all about using organized crime to try to rebuild the Mandalorian Empire, but canon Death Watch never mentioned that at all. They just wanted to be on Mandalore again.

We were bad, but now we’re good.png

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Fri May 15, 2020 1:43 pm

Vassenor wrote:Also, look at the iconography of the portal. The whole thing was a sith illusion.

Then how did Ahsoka got pulled through time or do I misunderstand you?
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Sildorian Empire
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sildorian Empire » Fri May 15, 2020 1:44 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Vassenor wrote:Also, look at the iconography of the portal. The whole thing was a sith illusion.

Then how did Ahsoka got pulled through time or do I misunderstand you?

No Vass is right, which I already pointed out. The portal with Kanan is basically Pals trying to "turn" Ezra, and not an actual thing like Ahsoka's portal was.
Sildorian Empire

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Fri May 15, 2020 1:47 pm

Sildorian Empire wrote:

Eh. Ignoring the whole part where Lucas himself said Jango's not a mando (which I think is being retcon'd as of The Mandalorian) you could argue that "Jango Fett was not a mando", at least within the boundaries of canon (but not the meta narrative), it's just the position of the New Mandalore, which is decidedly trying to eradicate Mandalorian culture (and possibly exile all the "Warrior clans", some of whom later becoming Death Watch). So Jango being an "actual" mando (culturally, if not "really") doesn't really change anything where New Mandalore and the Clone Wars Era Civil War is concerned.

I don’t think that The Mandalorian is retconning that. They might be pulling a Legends move with Boba though, and having him become Mandalorian. But still, the existence of the True Mandalorian faction would not fit within the Clone Wars storyline, otherwise their mortal enemies, the Death Watch, or their other mortal enemies, the New Mandalorians, would have mentioned them at some point, and they would have done something when Mandalore was getting chaotically invaded by the Republic, or when Mandalore was getting taken over by criminals.
Hot Girls Vote

Sildorian Empire
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sildorian Empire » Fri May 15, 2020 1:51 pm

Kathol Rift wrote:
Sildorian Empire wrote:Eh. Ignoring the whole part where Lucas himself said Jango's not a mando (which I think is being retcon'd as of The Mandalorian) you could argue that "Jango Fett was not a mando", at least within the boundaries of canon (but not the meta narrative), it's just the position of the New Mandalore, which is decidedly trying to eradicate Mandalorian culture (and possibly exile all the "Warrior clans", some of whom later becoming Death Watch). So Jango being an "actual" mando (culturally, if not "really") doesn't really change anything where New Mandalore and the Clone Wars Era Civil War is concerned.

I don’t think that The Mandalorian is retconning that. They might be pulling a Legends move with Boba though, and having him become Mandalorian. But still, the existence of the True Mandalorian faction would not fit within the Clone Wars storyline, otherwise their mortal enemies, the Death Watch, or their other mortal enemies, the New Mandalorians, would have mentioned them at some point, and they would have done something when Mandalore was getting chaotically invaded by the Republic, or when Mandalore was getting taken over by criminals.

Why not? Within Legends, True Mandalorians were wiped out long before the Clone Wars. Of course we wouldn't see them in action. That said, while their "successors" in the Protectors are apparently canon again, to a certain degree, they themselves aren't canon, so I'm not sure how useful this "They could be" thing I'm pulling even is.
Last edited by Sildorian Empire on Fri May 15, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sildorian Empire

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Fri May 15, 2020 1:54 pm

Sildorian Empire wrote:
Kathol Rift wrote:I don’t think that The Mandalorian is retconning that. They might be pulling a Legends move with Boba though, and having him become Mandalorian. But still, the existence of the True Mandalorian faction would not fit within the Clone Wars storyline, otherwise their mortal enemies, the Death Watch, or their other mortal enemies, the New Mandalorians, would have mentioned them at some point, and they would have done something when Mandalore was getting chaotically invaded by the Republic, or when Mandalore was getting taken over by criminals.

Why not? Within Legends, True Mandalorians were wiped out long before the Clone Wars. Of course we wouldn't see them in action. That said, while their "successors" in the Protectors are apparently canon again, to a certain degree, they themselves aren't canon, so I'm not sure how useful this "They could be" thing I'm pulling even is.

I just find it hard to believe that the various Mandalorians that would have previously been in the True Mandalorians would have sat by and let all of that happen to Mandalore. I could be wrong, but I doubt they would have just sat and watched all that if they were canon. But like you said, it’s a moot point, because they aren’t. And that displeases me.
Hot Girls Vote

Sildorian Empire
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sildorian Empire » Fri May 15, 2020 1:56 pm

Kathol Rift wrote:
Sildorian Empire wrote:Why not? Within Legends, True Mandalorians were wiped out long before the Clone Wars. Of course we wouldn't see them in action. That said, while their "successors" in the Protectors are apparently canon again, to a certain degree, they themselves aren't canon, so I'm not sure how useful this "They could be" thing I'm pulling even is.

I just find it hard to believe that the various Mandalorians that would have previously been in the True Mandalorians would have sat by and let all of that happen to Mandalore. I could be wrong, but I doubt they would have just sat and watched all that if they were canon. But like you said, it’s a moot point, because they aren’t. And that displeases me.

I mean, they didn't do anything about it back when they were canon either, because outside of some respected but functionally powerless "Spiritual successor", they had little to no presence left after nearly all of them were wiped out by the Jedi ages before the Death Watch could even muster an actual attempt against New Mandalore.
Sildorian Empire

Dylar
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Fri May 15, 2020 1:57 pm

Kathol Rift wrote:
Sildorian Empire wrote:Why not? Within Legends, True Mandalorians were wiped out long before the Clone Wars. Of course we wouldn't see them in action. That said, while their "successors" in the Protectors are apparently canon again, to a certain degree, they themselves aren't canon, so I'm not sure how useful this "They could be" thing I'm pulling even is.

Did you ever hear the tradgedy of the True Mandalorians at Galidraan?
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Fri May 15, 2020 2:00 pm

Sildorian Empire wrote:
Kathol Rift wrote:I just find it hard to believe that the various Mandalorians that would have previously been in the True Mandalorians would have sat by and let all of that happen to Mandalore. I could be wrong, but I doubt they would have just sat and watched all that if they were canon. But like you said, it’s a moot point, because they aren’t. And that displeases me.

I mean, they didn't do anything about it back when they were canon either, because outside of some respected but functionally powerless "Spiritual successor", they had little to no presence left after nearly all of them were wiped out by the Jedi ages before the Death Watch could even muster an actual attempt against New Mandalore.

Yeah, but there were still lots of Mandalorians on Mandalore that used to have been art of the True Mandalorians during the Clone Wars, or there was in Legends at least. We saw it in the Republic Commando books. I feel like if that existed in Canon, that would have been the Death Watch’s priority over the New Mandalorians, because actual Mandalorians are much more of a threat than the pacifists.
Dylar wrote:
Kathol Rift wrote:I just find it hard to believe that the various Mandalorians that would have previously been in the True Mandalorians would have sat by and let all of that happen to Mandalore. I could be wrong, but I doubt they would have just sat and watched all that if they were canon. But like you said, it’s a moot point, because they aren’t. And that displeases me.

Did you ever hear the tradgedy of the True Mandalorians at Galidraan?

Yes, yes I have. There were still lots of Mandalorians alive after that, it was just that True Mandalorian army that got destroyed.
Hot Girls Vote

Sildorian Empire
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sildorian Empire » Fri May 15, 2020 2:05 pm

Kathol Rift wrote:
Sildorian Empire wrote:I mean, they didn't do anything about it back when they were canon either, because outside of some respected but functionally powerless "Spiritual successor", they had little to no presence left after nearly all of them were wiped out by the Jedi ages before the Death Watch could even muster an actual attempt against New Mandalore.

Yeah, but there were still lots of Mandalorians on Mandalore that used to have been art of the True Mandalorians during the Clone Wars, or there was in Legends at least. We saw it in the Republic Commando books. I feel like if that existed in Canon, that would have been the Death Watch’s priority over the New Mandalorians, because actual Mandalorians are much more of a threat than the pacifists.
Dylar wrote:Did you ever hear the tradgedy of the True Mandalorians at Galidraan?

Yes, yes I have. There were still lots of Mandalorians alive after that, it was just that True Mandalorian army that got destroyed.

The True Mandalorian Army that got destroyed by the Jedi. The True Mand'alor who went MIA and basically sold into slavery afterwards. That sort of thing typically does a lot to a people's psyche. Especially when they're functionally under a regime that propagandizes against their culture in its entirety. Let's not forget, Galdiraan happened almost half a century earlier.
Sildorian Empire

Dylar
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Fri May 15, 2020 2:07 pm

Kathol Rift wrote:
Sildorian Empire wrote:I mean, they didn't do anything about it back when they were canon either, because outside of some respected but functionally powerless "Spiritual successor", they had little to no presence left after nearly all of them were wiped out by the Jedi ages before the Death Watch could even muster an actual attempt against New Mandalore.

I don't think Kal Skirata and Walon Vau were True Mandalorians. They were cuy'val dar and they hated Death Watch but I don't think that makes them True Mandalorians.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction