NATION

PASSWORD

Star Wars: The Force Shall Free Us All

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

If you could have a legacy upon the Star Wars galaxy, how would you want to be remembered?

As the fearless Jedi Knight, first into the fight against evil
4%
As the peacemaking Jedi Master
13%
As the shadow that lurks in the dark, influencing the galaxy with subtlety
11%
As the Sith Master that reveals themselves and dominates all opposition
21%
As the rogue who finds their fortune
2%
As the crime boss who lavishes in luxury
1%
As the bounty hunter that lives long enough to retire
8%
As the veteran soldier who fights for their cause for a lifetime
12%
As the daredevil explorer, placing their lives on the line to map the galaxy and reshape its very structure
12%
Dude, this galaxy's frickin' crazy, just let me be a normal civilian
15%

Total votes : 84

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:59 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:

But there's no blazing new ships and shiny new armor, so I'mma have to pass.
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:58 pm

Got back from rise of skywalker

I really enjoyed it! The... well everything was just fun. Way better then TLJ.

is there a I am inevitable/I am Iron Man meme but with paluatine and ray yet? I need to see it

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:19 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:

Dooku was the hero we needed.

This is wholly correct.
Dylar wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:

But there's no blazing new ships and shiny new armor, so I'mma have to pass.

But we did dig our metal heels in and dared the Republic to come after us.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

The Biggles Syndicate
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Biggles Syndicate » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:26 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:

Oh yes and live under a bunch of the galaxy's most evil corporations and Sith Lords. As nice as Dooku is (to diplomats), he couldn't possibly stop all that greed.

The Galactic Republic Senate is ass tier, but hey it's not as bad as the Big Galactic Clanker Corporation Boogaloo if they got the reins.

Damn Seppies, they're coming out of the walls tonight!

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:55 pm

Is it weird that, other than Han and Leia depending on where you draw the cutoff point, Palpatine was the only sequel character to have any sex?
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Blargoblarg
Minister

Founded: Sep 06, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blargoblarg » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:00 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Got back from rise of skywalker

I really enjoyed it! The... well everything was just fun. Way better then TLJ.

is there a I am inevitable/I am Iron Man meme but with paluatine and ray yet? I need to see it

I definitely think it was much better than The Last Jedi too.
Claudia De la Cruz 2024 Article about her here
Democrats and Republicans are both right-wing capitalists owned by the rich and the big corporations. Major media in the US is also owned by the rich and big corporations.
Major study finds that America is an oligarchy, not a democracy
"Workers of the world, unite!" -Marx and Engels
You can read The State and Revolution by Lenin for free here
My 8values results My leftvalues results
I am autistic.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:48 pm

Impaled Nazarene wrote:"I want to live in a monarchy despite the fact that I'd be a filthy, illiterate, possibly diseased, and disposable peasant with no rights whatsoever." That's how you meatbags sound when you say things like this.

At best, I'd be a Grand Moff doing important things at Palpatine's side enjoying the Coruscant high life, and at worst- I'd be an Imperial Stormtrooper enforcing order from world to world via military campaigns/police actions which I'd enjoy anyways.

There is just no way I'd become like Maketh Tua or Aresko and Grint. Before it ever got to that point, I'd request a demotion or a reassignment to a different role where I could benefit the Empire more or be less likely to fail my superiors.

If you value obedience and a firm direction, the Galactic Empire is a good deal. It is a fair trade to serve the Empire if the Empire did a lot for you such as providing for an Imperial Academy and so forth, where you live.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:17 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:"I want to live in a monarchy despite the fact that I'd be a filthy, illiterate, possibly diseased, and disposable peasant with no rights whatsoever." That's how you meatbags sound when you say things like this.

At best, I'd be a Grand Moff doing important things at Palpatine's side enjoying the Coruscant high life, and at worst- I'd be an Imperial Stormtrooper enforcing order from world to world via military campaigns/police actions which I'd enjoy anyways.

No, at best you'd be in the Imperial Army where you get to be bantha fodder to the point where 40k PDF look like elite infantry by comparison.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:39 pm

Saiwania wrote:

There is just no way I'd become like Maketh Tua or Aresko and Grint. Before it ever got to that point, I'd request a demotion or a reassignment to a different role where I could benefit the Empire more or be less likely to fail my superiors.

If you value obedience and a firm direction, the Galactic Empire is a good deal. It is a fair trade to serve the Empire if the Empire did a lot for you such as providing for an Imperial Academy and so forth, where you live.

Sai your chances of becoming a Grand Moth are tiny. Your at best much more likely to become captain of some random Star Destroyer. Is that tiny amount of power really worth supporting a government as evil and despicable as the Galactic Empire?
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:06 am

Andsed wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

Sai your chances of becoming a Grand Moth are tiny. Your at best much more likely to become captain of some random Star Destroyer. Is that tiny amount of power really worth supporting a government as evil and despicable as the Galactic Empire?

I mean, are you suggesting he'd actually be able to pass the requirements for commanding a Star Destroyer? He'd probably be one of the people who live on the planets said Star Destroyers oppress.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:14 am

The level of ego in this thread.

We're all sarcastic nerds. If any of us joined the empire, we'd be the janitors on a dead end outpost in the middle of nowhere and probably get flogged for smarting off to a superior.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:42 am

Andsed wrote:Sai your chances of becoming a Grand Moth are tiny. Your at best much more likely to become captain of some random Star Destroyer. Is that tiny amount of power really worth supporting a government as evil and despicable as the Galactic Empire?

Hell yes, commander of a Star Destroyer is pretty good. I like having a personal fiefdom being granted to me, even if it's only minor in the grand scheme of things.

If I recall correctly, Luke Skywalker initially wanted to become an Imperial Stormtrooper as a means of getting off of Tattooine because living there as a moisture farmer kind of well, sucks. Its a backwater planet that is primarily desert and isn't quite a lush or prominent core world or a world with a ton more economic opportunity like Coruscant.

If you get a means of moving off of a planet like Tattooine via something like an Imperial Academy, you can get a better life than can be had in staying, theoretically speaking.

Certain events in A New Hope however, got Luke Skywalker onto a drastically different path.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:21 am

Ameriganastan wrote:The level of ego in this thread.

We're all sarcastic nerds. If any of us joined the empire, we'd be the janitors on a dead end outpost in the middle of nowhere and probably get flogged for smarting off to a superior.

This^.
Han Solo wanted to be an imperial pilot but his tendency to question orders got him shifted to an Imperial Army battalion reserved for dissenters and rejects.
The Galactic Empire is NOT a meritocracy.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:22 am

Saiwania wrote:
Andsed wrote:Sai your chances of becoming a Grand Moth are tiny. Your at best much more likely to become captain of some random Star Destroyer. Is that tiny amount of power really worth supporting a government as evil and despicable as the Galactic Empire?

Hell yes, commander of a Star Destroyer is pretty good. I like having a personal fiefdom being granted to me, even if it's only minor in the grand scheme of things.

If I recall correctly, Luke Skywalker initially wanted to become an Imperial Stormtrooper as a means of getting off of Tattooine because living there as a moisture farmer kind of well, sucks. Its a backwater planet that is primarily desert and isn't quite a lush or prominent core world or a world with a ton more economic opportunity like Coruscant.

If you get a means of moving off of a planet like Tattooine via something like an Imperial Academy, you can get a better life than can be had in staying, theoretically speaking.

Certain events in A New Hope however, got Luke Skywalker onto a drastically different path.

By 'certain events' do you mean Imperial Stormtroopers murdering his only family and burning his home?
Yeah who wouldn't want to join the Empire after that?

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:36 am

Genivaria wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

By 'certain events' do you mean Imperial Stormtroopers murdering his only family and burning his home?

i would.

especially after they blew up a planet full of hippies.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:53 am

Genivaria wrote:By 'certain events' do you mean Imperial Stormtroopers murdering his only family and burning his home?

It would be funny if he did though. He runs off to become a Stormtrooper, and Obi-Wan just sits there pissed off that he wasted 16 years on some scorched ballsack of a planet keeping an eye on him.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:02 am

Saiwania wrote:

Except the Empire isn't the sort of organization that is just gonna let you request a new assignment or take a step back. Once you're in, you're theirs and you do whatever the hell they want, your opinions and wishes be damned.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:18 am

Idzequitch wrote:Except the Empire isn't the sort of organization that is just gonna let you request a new assignment or take a step back. Once you're in, you're theirs and you do whatever the hell they want, your opinions and wishes be damned.

It can perhaps be done if there is an opening elsewhere within the Imperial hierarchy/ongoing roles and you're persuasive with decision makers.

It simply isn't true that absolutely no one benefited from the Empire. I contend that its more accurate to say that it had both winners and losers like any system. The Empire aligns with many of my values by default, so I see it as worthwhile to conform to the Imperial system or do good by it, at least until I'm in a no win situation and I have no choice but to defect or go into hiding. I have reason to believe however, that I could have an Imperial career as bright as Tarkin or Thrawn's.

Its aspirational to want to be part of an orderly but very powerful and magnificent military and civil force, reigning over the galaxy. All of the military buildup was worthwhile to be ready for the Yuuzhan Vong.
Last edited by Saiwania on Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:42 am

Except Luke didn't want to be a Stormtrooper he wanted to be a pilot and jumpship like Biggs did. Hell, Biggs even told Luke that he was going to jumpship after graduation. Also if you recall Luke directly told Ben that he hated the Empire.

This is all in canon too.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:22 am

Saiwania wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:Except the Empire isn't the sort of organization that is just gonna let you request a new assignment or take a step back. Once you're in, you're theirs and you do whatever the hell they want, your opinions and wishes be damned.

It can perhaps be done if there is an opening elsewhere within the Imperial hierarchy/ongoing roles and you're persuasive with decision makers.

It simply isn't true that absolutely no one benefited from the Empire. I contend that its more accurate to say that it had both winners and losers like any system. The Empire aligns with many of my values by default, so I see it as worthwhile to conform to the Imperial system or do good by it, at least until I'm in a no win situation and I have no choice but to defect or go into hiding. I have reason to believe however, that I could have an Imperial career as bright as Tarkin or Thrawn's.

Its aspirational to want to be part of an orderly but very powerful and magnificent military and civil force, reigning over the galaxy. All of the military buildup was worthwhile to be ready for the Yuuzhan Vong.

You know what would have been helpful against the Yuuzhan Vong? An army of Jedi.

This shows the moral decrepitude of the Empire. There was no higher goal. There never is in dictatorships. In the end, everything serves the power base of Palpatine.

By the way, it does not really matter whether you think you could do well. In fact, it makes it worse. If you willingly become part of a genocidal regime that enforces the worst of race-based chattel slavery, it just means you lack any moral character. The more you try to convince us that, actually, you would do well, the worse your choice actually gets.
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

-Palpatine-
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby -Palpatine- » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:29 am

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:You know what would have been helpful against the Yuuzhan Vong? An army of Jedi.

Jedi? Don't make me laugh.
I am the Senate!

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:54 am

Saiwania wrote:

Nah. The only winners in the Empire was Palptine. Everyone else lost. And really your views align with the Empire. A government that is for all intents and purposes nothing less than fucking evil? I mean I know your you Sai but come on.
Last edited by Andsed on Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:09 am

Andsed wrote:Nah. The only winners in the Empire was Palpatine. Everyone else lost. And really your views align with the Empire. A government that is for all intents and purposes nothing less than fucking evil? I mean I know your you Sai but come on.

The type of Imperial officer I identify most with are the "Low Key" or the "Good Imperial." I'd be either one of those but am more likely to be low key if I'm still the invisible type within that context in terms of behavior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha8fNioLNZs
This video explains well the 6 most common types of people encountered within the Galactic Empire's hierarchy.
Last edited by Saiwania on Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte

The Krogan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Krogan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:21 am

Ahhhh yes, I too would love to serve an empire where you're more likely to be killed by your fellow imperials then any rebel.
The perpetual lurker of NS, trudging through the desolate winter.

DeltaSource
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby DeltaSource » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:49 am

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

You know what would have been helpful against the Yuuzhan Vong? An army of Jedi.

This shows the moral decrepitude of the Empire. There was no higher goal. There never is in dictatorships. In the end, everything serves the power base of Palpatine.

By the way, it does not really matter whether you think you could do well. In fact, it makes it worse. If you willingly become part of a genocidal regime that enforces the worst of race-based chattel slavery, it just means you lack any moral character. The more you try to convince us that, actually, you would do well, the worse your choice actually gets.

Pretty sure a single mouse is better at taking care of the Yuuzhan Vong than any amount of Jedi...
All jokes aside, I personally think the Sith would be better suited to take out the Yuuzhan Vong than the Jedi.
Games I'm Playing Atm:
Persona 5 Royal
Genshin Impact
Call of Duty: Warzone

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction