NATION

PASSWORD

DCEU Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Favorite DCEU film so far?

Man of Steel
31%
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
46%
Suicide Squad
23%

Total votes : 13

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:43 pm

Eh, pretty close honestly. But just personal conversations. I work at a restaurant so I speak to a lot of people and most like Suicide Squad.

Even if the internet hates it.

I like both films myself so. Theres that. :roll:
My RP Nation is the Islamic Republic of Alamon

The Starlight wrote:Rebel Force: Noun - A strange power associated with street-level characters who are the weakest, yet most powerful of all.

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Tue May 02, 2017 8:53 am

The Rebel Alliances wrote:Eh, pretty close honestly. But just personal conversations. I work at a restaurant so I speak to a lot of people and most like Suicide Squad.

I heard that to get into character as the joker for Suicide Squad Jared Leto sent disturbing things to his cast members, like the theatrical cut of Suicide Squad.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Tue May 02, 2017 6:18 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:
The Rebel Alliances wrote:Eh, pretty close honestly. But just personal conversations. I work at a restaurant so I speak to a lot of people and most like Suicide Squad.

I heard that to get into character as the joker for Suicide Squad Jared Leto sent disturbing things to his cast members, like the theatrical cut of Suicide Squad.

On a serious note, from the behind the scenes that I watched. Whenever he was on set he was always in character, he was 'Mista J'. Not Jared Leto.

He took the role pretty seriously.
Last edited by The Rebel Alliances on Tue May 02, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Starlight wrote:Rebel Force: Noun - A strange power associated with street-level characters who are the weakest, yet most powerful of all.

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Tue May 02, 2017 6:59 pm

I heard he actually wasn't pleasant to be around during production. Being in character doesn't mean you can be a prick, especially since in universe Joker is a psychopath, not a run of the mill douche.

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Tue May 02, 2017 7:44 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:I heard he actually wasn't pleasant to be around during production. Being in character doesn't mean you can be a prick, especially since in universe Joker is a psychopath, not a run of the mill douche.

I don't know, it's entirely possible he was hard to work with. I don't know him personally. But as for his performance, I enjoyed what I saw.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Tue May 02, 2017 7:51 pm

The Rebel Alliances wrote:New poll up.

So, whats everyone's verdicts on the performances of the cast so far?

Who likes Henry Cavill as Superman? Ben Affleck as Batman? Or Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman?

And do you prefer these castings less or more than past incarnations like Christian Bale as Batman or Christopher Reeve as Superman?

One casting I have to declare as perfect is Viola Davis for Amanda Waller.

Well, we still can compare both Bale and Affleck to Keaton. After all, I like Keaton's portrayal the most. He seems very fit, ironic given his background before landed on that role, and how many fans of Batman sent letters of angry to WB and DC. Or DC only, back then? I'm not sure. Bale and Affleck are comparable, in that both of them have their internal issues to be solved upon. And it seems that in the end, all three Batmen killed someone in the end. Whether it's Joker, Ra's Al Ghul, and or some unknown criminals.

Viola Davis has its fair share of greatness. I personally liked the casting of Robbie as Harley Quinn and Adewale (I think it's his first name) as Killer Croc. Will Smith is good, too.
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

So Covenant declare a crusade and then wage jihad? :p

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Tue May 02, 2017 7:54 pm

And this is the question that has haunted me for some time.

Is it just me, or is it that DC is on its way on problems behind the scenes and tight schedules? They planned for FOUR Batman-centric movies on 2019. And then Flash and Shazam on the same year, if I'm not mistaken. Again, refer to one of the latest Looper video about 16 upcoming DC movies, including Lobo, Deadshot, Suicide Squad 2, Black Adam, and Gotham City Sirens.

For the problems behind the scenes, Flash is really need some works. They still need to fill that directorial void. I'm fine if the creative differences problem is to make sure that Flash will be a great movie, though.
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Tue May 02, 2017 8:14 pm

The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:And this is the question that has haunted me for some time.

Is it just me, or is it that DC is on its way on problems behind the scenes and tight schedules? They planned for FOUR Batman-centric movies on 2019. And then Flash and Shazam on the same year, if I'm not mistaken. Again, refer to one of the latest Looper video about 16 upcoming DC movies, including Lobo, Deadshot, Suicide Squad 2, Black Adam, and Gotham City Sirens.

For the problems behind the scenes, Flash is really need some works. They still need to fill that directorial void. I'm fine if the creative differences problem is to make sure that Flash will be a great movie, though.

I wouldn't be surprised if half the movies they've announced don't see the light of day.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Tue May 02, 2017 8:20 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:And this is the question that has haunted me for some time.

I wouldn't be surprised if half the movies they've announced don't see the light of day.

Me neither, but given the scope of their financial power and studio power, I can see that at the very least some of them will be available in the future.

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Tue May 02, 2017 10:39 pm

The Rebel Alliances wrote:New poll up.

So, whats everyone's verdicts on the performances of the cast so far?

Who likes Henry Cavill as Superman? Ben Affleck as Batman? Or Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman?

And do you prefer these castings less or more than past incarnations like Christian Bale as Batman or Christopher Reeve as Superman?

One casting I have to declare as perfect is Viola Davis for Amanda Waller.

Well, we still can compare both Bale and Affleck to Keaton. After all, I like Keaton's portrayal the most. He seems very fit, ironic given his background before landed on that role, and how many fans of Batman sent letters of angry to WB and DC. Or DC only, back then? I'm not sure. Bale and Affleck are comparable, in that both of them have their internal issues to be solved upon. And it seems that in the end, all three Batmen killed someone in the end. Whether it's Joker, Ra's Al Ghul, and or some unknown criminals.

Viola Davis has its fair share of greatness. I personally liked the casting of Robbie as Harley Quinn and Adewale (I think it's his first name) as Killer Croc. Will Smith is good, too.

Keaten was good. But I am not the biggest Tim Burton fan. I like his first Batman film, but Batman Returns had a few issues for me. Even if I loved Michelle as Catwoman. As for Bale, when I finished his trilogy I was certain I would never see a better Batman.

Then Batfleck happened. I still love the character development that Bale got but from the costume design, the new batmobile and the best Batman live action combat scenes topped with a solid opening acting performance. Batfleck is my favorite live action Batman so far.

The first Galactic Republic wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if half the movies they've announced don't see the light of day.

Me neither, but given the scope of their financial power and studio power, I can see that at the very least some of them will be available in the future.

Some movies may get moved around, replaced or scrapped but by the time DCEU wraps up I am certain that it will be a worthy cinematic shared universe. Some projects are a sure thing. Such as the Justice League Films, Aquaman, Solo Batman movie, Flash(I don't believe delays will stop this one), Green Lantern Corp, Shazam, Suicide Squad 2 and Cyborg I feel like are nearly guaranteed.

Then there are projects which could be likely as another solo Superman film.

It's films like Lobo, Gotham City Sirens and Black Adam which could be 'maybes'.

Every film released so far, has been a financial success, even if a couple didn't meet the high expectations. As long as that continues, I am sure it will, I think DCEU is here to stay.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Wed May 03, 2017 3:20 am

Yes, but I believe pressure from either media, critic, fans, or maybe three of them at some point will be too irritating if the review scores still not high.

Also, Gotham City Sirens already has Ayer attached, and so with Robbie too. Suicide Squad 2, meanwhile, hasn't got any developments for its sequel apart from those rumored directors including Mel Gibson. It seems there is/are rumors of Megan Fox running for Poison Ivy.

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Wed May 03, 2017 8:36 am

The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:Yes, but I believe pressure from either media, critic, fans, or maybe three of them at some point will be too irritating if the review scores still not high.

Also, Gotham City Sirens already has Ayer attached, and so with Robbie too. Suicide Squad 2, meanwhile, hasn't got any developments for its sequel apart from those rumored directors including Mel Gibson. It seems there is/are rumors of Megan Fox running for Poison Ivy.

I say money talks. As long as the movies sell I doubt they will stop making them. I would like to see the review scores improve, and I think they will, but the Studio won't just walk away from making billions in box office revenue because some fans scream about it.

Which upcoming DCEU movie do you think will get the best review scores? I would guess Justice League or Aquaman. But I will be pleased to see Wonder Woman get fair treatment from critics.

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Wed May 03, 2017 9:30 am

The Rebel Alliances wrote:

Keaten was good. But I am not the biggest Tim Burton fan. I like his first Batman film, but Batman Returns had a few issues for me. Even if I loved Michelle as Catwoman. As for Bale, when I finished his trilogy I was certain I would never see a better Batman.

Then Batfleck happened. I still love the character development that Bale got but from the costume design, the new batmobile and the best Batman live action combat scenes topped with a solid opening acting performance. Batfleck is my favorite live action Batman so far.

Some movies may get moved around, replaced or scrapped but by the time DCEU wraps up I am certain that it will be a worthy cinematic shared universe. Some projects are a sure thing. Such as the Justice League Films, Aquaman, Solo Batman movie, Flash(I don't believe delays will stop this one), Green Lantern Corp, Shazam, Suicide Squad 2 and Cyborg I feel like are nearly guaranteed.

Then there are projects which could be likely as another solo Superman film.

It's films like Lobo, Gotham City Sirens and Black Adam which could be 'maybes'.

Every film released so far, has been a financial success, even if a couple didn't meet the high expectations. As long as that continues, I am sure it will, I think DCEU is here to stay.

If Wonder Woman and Justice League don't do as well as projected I can see Green Lantern, Shazam, and Cyborg being canned. I just hope it lasts long enough for at least Shazam.

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Wed May 03, 2017 9:47 am

Are you refering to financial or critical projections? Either way I disagree. Batman v Superman was panned by critic(Unfairly so imo) and didn't meet the billion dollar expectation of the studio. But it still raked in a ton on money.

If a movie gets rejected critically, the Studio will likely change some things to accommodate but I don't see them shutting down projects unless the movies start to bomb financially. They have Batman and know he is the resident cash cow. Probably why they are planning so many gotham/Batman centric movies.

All in all, they can produce a Flash, Green Lantern and Cyborg movie which will still make profits of their own without having to live up to Batman's wallet. As Bruce tells us in Justice League.

He's Rich

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Wed May 03, 2017 9:54 am

When there's this much money involved things won't go away overnight, but decent performances also aren't enough to sustain it. BvS and Suicide Squad fell below expectations. If future movies keep falling below expectations they're going to revise some of the projects they're working on.

Part of the reason why the MCU can experiment with lesser known characters like Black Panther and the GotG is because of the success of the big league movies. Even if a movie about a more obscure character didn't do well, they have the enormous profits from the other movies to fall back on. The more well known characters give them a basis for experimenting. With DC the more well known characters are still failing to meet expectations. If this continues there's less of a safety net for obscure properties that might not do well. Cyborg and Shazam aren't necessarily big names to the casual audience, and GL has a bad association with the last movie.

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Wed May 03, 2017 10:38 am

Some projects may be revised, but the last two films falling below reviewer expectations didn't really impact their profits too much. To put things in perspective, with only 3 films the DCEU has exceeded 2 billion in revenue. The MCU's first 3 films did a little more than half of that I believe. So essentially the two companies started on opposing sides of reception. The MCU was critically well received, but that didn't translate to a billion dollar block buster until 'The Avengers'. That was their sixth film.

While DCEU came within arms length of that with their second film. Batman v Superman. And I am certain they will exceed it with Justice League. What makes it a little more impressive is that these movies are raking in such profits not because of Critic reviews but despite them. As long as money for these movies flood in, WB won't stop funding DCEU films.

Now don't mistake me for saying that I don't care at all about critic reviews or how the movies are received as long as they make money. I would love to see critics embrace WW and Justice League like they embrace the MCU. So do the men and women behind the films, but at the end of the day it's a business. And business continues as usual as long as the products released make money. The DCEU has done that thus far and I am confident it will continue to.

Some projects may not see the light of day or be heavily revised but in the end I am sure that the DCEU will survive and run it's course.

On a side note, am I the only one who wants to see the actor for Poe Dameran from Star Wars as the next Hal Jordan? 8)

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Wed May 03, 2017 1:09 pm

The Rebel Alliances wrote:Some projects may be revised, but the last two films falling below reviewer expectations didn't really impact their profits too much. To put things in perspective, with only 3 films the DCEU has exceeded 2 billion in revenue. The MCU's first 3 films did a little more than half of that I believe. So essentially the two companies started on opposing sides of reception. The MCU was critically well received, but that didn't translate to a billion dollar block buster until 'The Avengers'. That was their sixth film.

While DCEU came within arms length of that with their second film. Batman v Superman. And I am certain they will exceed it with Justice League. What makes it a little more impressive is that these movies are raking in such profits not because of Critic reviews but despite them. As long as money for these movies flood in, WB won't stop funding DCEU films.

Now don't mistake me for saying that I don't care at all about critic reviews or how the movies are received as long as they make money. I would love to see critics embrace WW and Justice League like they embrace the MCU. So do the men and women behind the films, but at the end of the day it's a business. And business continues as usual as long as the products released make money. The DCEU has done that thus far and I am confident it will continue to.

Some projects may not see the light of day or be heavily revised but in the end I am sure that the DCEU will survive and run it's course.

On a side note, am I the only one who wants to see the actor for Poe Dameran from Star Wars as the next Hal Jordan? 8)

Again the movies are making money, but they always fall below projections. The big name movies are not failures but they're also not making enough to give other movies a safety net. When it comes time to green light more obscure DC properties, executives might change their minds if even the big name movies keep failing to meet expectations.

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Wed May 03, 2017 1:17 pm

Well, it's a wait and see approach I suppose. I still believe that even the smaller more obscure projects will make profits. It could just be an issue of adjusting the expectations to more realistic levels. We will have a better idea after this year but even as it standsthe DCEU is poised to become the most profitable franchise WB has.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Wed May 03, 2017 10:58 pm

The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:Yes, but I believe pressure from either media, critic, fans, or maybe three of them at some point will be too irritating if the review scores still not high.

I say money talks. As long as the movies sell I doubt they will stop making them. I would like to see the review scores improve, and I think they will, but the Studio won't just walk away from making billions in box office revenue because some fans scream about it.

Which upcoming DCEU movie do you think will get the best review scores? I would guess Justice League or Aquaman. But I will be pleased to see Wonder Woman get fair treatment from critics.

Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Aquaman has James Wan, while I fairly certain Wonder Woman is gonna be good. At least above 50%.

I still hoping for Armie Hammer as Hal Jordan. He seems fit.

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Thu May 04, 2017 10:59 am

Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Aquaman has James Wan, while I fairly certain Wonder Woman is gonna be good. At least above 50%.

I am sure WW will be terrific, it's critics that worry me. They seem to dislike superhero movies which are 'dark'. From what I've seen it will have some humor throughout but because it takes place before Batman v Superman I am sure it will end on a somber note. As I believe it will be telling the story of how Wonder Woman withdrew from the world.

Anywhere Else But Here
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Anywhere Else But Here » Thu May 04, 2017 11:07 am

I am sure WW will be terrific, it's critics that worry me. They seem to dislike superhero movies which are 'dark'. From what I've seen it will have some humor throughout but because it takes place before Batman v Superman I am sure it will end on a somber note. As I believe it will be telling the story of how Wonder Woman withdrew from the world.

Critics infamously panned Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy.

Osnil Returns
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Osnil Returns » Thu May 04, 2017 11:15 am

And it's World War One. I'd withdraw from the world, too, if I had to live through that.
Ancient Ones-1 Justice League, 1 Sith Lord, 1 firebender, 1 nutcase, 1 Pokemon Trainer
There is more science in Grimm's Fairy Tales than in evolution.

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Thu May 04, 2017 11:18 am

Critics liked The Dark Knight and Logan.

I'm just glad her outfit isn't literally dark and is actually very colorful.

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Thu May 04, 2017 11:37 am

Anywhere Else But Here wrote:

Critics infamously panned Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy.

Batman gets a pass, he's Batman, he is supposed to be dark. But on a serious note that did strike me as odd. Look through criticisms of the DCEU and comments such as 'too dark' and 'not fun' abound. This was especially common in criticism of Batman v Superman.

I am really hoping the Batgirl movie comes to fruition as well. It's early for it but I would love to see a proper big screen Batgirl.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Sat May 06, 2017 10:01 am

Anywhere Else But Here wrote:Critics infamously panned Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy.

Batman gets a pass, he's Batman, he is supposed to be dark. But on a serious note that did strike me as odd. Look through criticisms of the DCEU and comments such as 'too dark' and 'not fun' abound. This was especially common in criticism of Batman v Superman.

I am really hoping the Batgirl movie comes to fruition as well. It's early for it but I would love to see a proper big screen Batgirl.

I guess people just too comfortable in seeing Bruce Wayne and Batman sending in quips and snarks. The one in Batman v Superman has less of both of it.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction