NATION

PASSWORD

DCEU Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Favorite DCEU film so far?

Man of Steel
31%
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
46%
Suicide Squad
23%

Total votes : 13

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:46 am

The first Galactic Republic wrote:
Myrensis wrote:Can we just take a moment to appreciate that DC/WB have screwed up to such an amazing degree that Aquaman, Mr. Talks to Fish Butt of Every Super Hero Joke Ever Aquaman, is now the biggest draw of the DC movie universe, because Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman couldn't hack it?

Woah there. In no way does Wonder Woman deserve to be lopped in there with BvS.

I agree, but WW still didn't do as well as Aquaman, even though she's a far more well known and popular character.

New haven america wrote:
Myrensis wrote:Can we just take a moment to appreciate that DC/WB have screwed up to such an amazing degree that Aquaman, Mr. Talks to Fish Butt of Every Super Hero Joke Ever Aquaman, is now the biggest draw of the DC movie universe, because Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman couldn't hack it?

He doesn't talk to fish though, he controls them and convinces them to do what he wants.

And that power doesn't just apply to sealife, he can do it to terrastrial life as well as aliens.

I'm aware, but the popular view of Aquaman, ie among people who don't read comic books, is that Aquaman is the most useless super hero, who's power is talking to fish.

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:00 pm

Myrensis wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:Woah there. In no way does Wonder Woman deserve to be lopped in there with BvS.

I agree, but WW still didn't do as well as Aquaman, even though she's a far more well known and popular character.

New haven america wrote:He doesn't talk to fish though, he controls them and convinces them to do what he wants.

And that power doesn't just apply to sealife, he can do it to terrastrial life as well as aliens.

I'm aware, but the popular view of Aquaman, ie among people who don't read comic books, is that Aquaman is the most useless super hero, who's power is talking to fish.

I think a lack of December competition really helped Aquaman’s box office numbers. Wonder Woman, for example, had to go up against Spider-Man Homecoming. Aquaman’s only real competition was Bumblebee since that year’s Star Wars came out in May.

Still, it’s definitely worth nothing that a movie about Aquaman did much better than a movie with Batman and Superman in it, or a movie with the whole Justice League in it for that matter.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2012

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:11 pm

Myrensis wrote:

I think a lack of December competition really helped Aquaman’s box office numbers. Wonder Woman, for example, had to go up against Spider-Man Homecoming. Aquaman’s only real competition was Bumblebee since that year’s Star Wars came out in May.

Still, it’s definitely worth nothing that a movie about Aquaman did much better than a movie with Batman and Superman in it, or a movie with the whole Justice League in it for that matter.

Yeah. Bumblebee is part of Transformers', but the movie universe have been increasingly plagued with negative reviews and diminishing box office while Spider-Man into the Spider-Verse is an animated movie coming from a studio who also released bunch of bad animated movies.

So yeah, strong competitors, but not strong enough.
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

So Covenant declare a crusade and then wage jihad? :p

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:53 am

The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:I think a lack of December competition really helped Aquaman’s box office numbers. Wonder Woman, for example, had to go up against Spider-Man Homecoming. Aquaman’s only real competition was Bumblebee since that year’s Star Wars came out in May.

Yeah. Bumblebee is part of Transformers', but the movie universe have been increasingly plagued with negative reviews and diminishing box office while Spider-Man into the Spider-Verse is an animated movie coming from a studio who also released bunch of bad animated movies.

So yeah, strong competitors, but not strong enough.

Into the Spiderverse won a Golden Globe, has a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes, 94% audience. Bumblebee has a 92/79%. Bumblebee's domestic is $110 million in just short of 4 weeks, $20 million shy of Last Knight over almost 10 weeks. Into the Spiderverse has done $150 million with an extra week.

Justice League opened a full month before The Last Jedi and a week before Coco, which it beat (Coco, not Last Jedi, Last Jedi beat everyone.) Wonder Woman had a month on Spiderman: Homecoming (Which it beat by almost $100 million)...the Last Knight came out three weeks after Wonder Woman.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:03 pm

Myrensis wrote:

Jason Mamoa.

I guess that's the main reason of Aquamans' success.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Fri May 17, 2019 3:42 pm

Nice to see the DCEU Discussion thread is still alive and healthy after the release of Shazam. :p

I honestly forgot I started this thread way back when. MCU too for that matter. Well, now that Aquaman and Shazam are out and Joker is coming this October(I am unsure if that is supposed to be a 'DCEU' film however)

What are current opinions on the DCEU overall? I'll see about changing the poll after work tomorrow. Is there hype for upcoming films like WW2?
My RP Nation is the Islamic Republic of Alamon

The Starlight wrote:Rebel Force: Noun - A strange power associated with street-level characters who are the weakest, yet most powerful of all.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Sun May 19, 2019 7:39 am

The current opinion is probably a lot like the three month silence here, people don't really care.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Chadacian
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chadacian » Tue May 21, 2019 6:33 pm

Interestingly enough, I watched Shazam today, it had its moments but it really felt like a comedy instead of a superhero movie. I also heard that Robert Pattinson is more than likely going to end up as the new Batman, I am even less enthused. To draw a parallel to the MCU, I laughed in Marvel's face when Chris Evans was cast as Captain America. I thought it was a stupid choice and I could only see him as the goofy Human Torch. Well, he proved me wrong, and as we all know he completely owned the role. So I'm hoping this Pattinson casting turns out to be the same situation.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed May 22, 2019 2:20 pm

I've scoffed at every Batman casting decision since Micheal Keaton and they all turned out fine. It'll be fine. I like the idea of focusing on 'worlds greatest detective' aspect for a change since most of his outings his detective work has been shouting in someone's face.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed May 22, 2019 3:18 pm

All detective work involves is punching people, clrly

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction