NATION

PASSWORD

MCU/Superhero Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Opinion on Across the Spider-Verse

Haven’t Seen It
37%
0 Stars
2%
1 Star
2%
2 Stars
2%
3 Stars
10%
4 Stars
49%

Total votes : 63

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:39 pm

Forsher wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Well, again I think you're being rather generous with your assessment, but whatever.

You're also completely not understanding the nature of narrative to make your faulty comparison a strike against the film. Or how movies are made. There's this delightful assumption that one is absolutely a rip off of the other and who is the villain is based on one coming out four months ahead of the other, which ignores the complexity of how films are made. Unless you're under the impression that Coogler looked at the success of Tahiti's Ragnarok in October and then made a massive special effects laden blockbuster starting in November so it could be released in February. It is a completely adorable view of how the film industry works.

See... I'd like to say you're just being way too literal about what "ripoff" means (1.1) and I was going to say this yesterday when I got home but due to reasons I ended up falling asleep instead but I've changed my mind. People call Madagascar a ripoff or, alternatively, the Wild and similar with A Bug's Life and Antz... and, honestly, I doubt corporate espionage or whatever it was caused Antz and A Bug's Life to be (allegedly... I do not remember Antz) similar could give a more accurate impression of how the two films would play out. They wilfully decided to release two films set in futuristic monarchies right next to each other. That decision, right there, put them in a situation where they'd need to work to avoid plot similarity.

Now, no doubt you're going to argue that since these are from the same studio and in fact the same shared universe that they are completely

They should share thematic similarities because they're in the same Universe... compare the other futuristic monarchy they made and Ragnarok, i.e. Inhumans. It's blatant and a good thing. The plot similarity is... you know, now that it comes up, I guess it's there but Maximus wasn't a secret rival and honestly if someone hadn't brought it up a few days ago I wouldn't even have remembered that he wanted to invade anywhere (also because it was a television show they also made everyone work towards coming back together whereas the movies don't).

aware of each other during production and that is completely true of Fiege who oversees the production of all the films, but that also makes some wildly inaccurate assumptions of the nature of the industry or the freedoms and restrictions filmmakers like Tahiti and Coogler are given.

Not to mention you're not actually describing plot, something new screenwriters have a hard time dealing with, but rather similar elements. How the characters deal with those elements is the plot, and the two deal with them very differently with very different results and implications.

Do they though?

Sure, Wakanda doesn't get blown up but they both result in massive final battles over the future of the state (and in particular its foreign policy), both (for different reasons) see their central heroes fail to beat their villains in straight combat (T'Challa managing to use... his environment to stab his cousin does, at least, defeat his opponent 1v1), both have collect the team mini-plots with "refused the call and then changed his mind" moments and so on.

Finally, your fascination with novelty is a misguided 20th century obsession that has fuckall to do with the quality of a story.

But everything to do with the original claims (also, return to the literalism of your definition of ripoff... although, yes, Ragnarok is a substantially better movie than BP):

I don't know what you think you read, but I didn't write it.

I set out to defend the claim that BP is a typical MCU film. I appear to have got you to migrate from "it's complete reach to say it's the same as Ragnarok" to "you're exaggerating the degree of similarity". That's a win, at least by the standards of viewpoint reconciliation in NSG.

Shakespeare and Marlowe wrote many of the same stories. Hell, John Fletcher wrote a sequel to Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew called A Woman's Prize or The Tamer Tamed. During Shakespeare's time to get Shakespeare's attention. You might want to go, "Well, how many people know that?" and my answer is, "People who like Jacobian theater do." The play was popular in its time.

And insofar as anything I wrote, I am on board with Fletcher, having SPECIFICALLY praised Black Panther for its ability to contribute to the pre-existing MCU storyline. But beyond that, this is just not relevant to what I've been saying.

As it happens... I do think Black Panther is weaker because it repeats stuff but it's not just the stuff that makes it a ripoff of Ragnarok. No, BP is run of the mill because it does a usual MCU thing...

• Killmonger is a classic Iron-Man villain complete with (dad related, here) revenge, identical powers and death in a dark fight scene, who also steals Vanko's "chase down the flying objects" finale;
  • it (like Ragnarok) culminates in a massive fight (although it does have some overtures to furthering the story due to the romance side-plot with W'Kabi but you take that plot line out of the film and nothing changes at all);
  • it (and this isn't a MCU exclusive and very annoying element) has a dark pitched battle ending too (made worse by how literal they made the mirror... compare Ragnarok where Hela and Thor have different powers and it's in the sunlight for both the big army piece and the 1v1);
  • kill the bad guy (necessary for T'Challa's story, see Zemo, but in context of the wider MCU this has been a very frustrating and story limiting habit... at least with Ragnarok you can pretend, that Hela might have survived because there's some ambiguity)... twice.

But the key thing with BP versus Ragnarok is that Ragnarok is better because it's more enjoyable. And that's largely because I like funny films and BP's a bit of a cop out... unwilling to feel like The Incredible Hulk let alone Man of Steel or The Judge and unwilling to be like Ragnarok (probably because, if it did, everyone would recognise its blatant similarity).

Also, let's grant your flimsy premise of 'total ripoff', as comically applied as it is. Going back to Taming of the Shrew, the literal plot of that was the inspiration of 10 Things I Hate About You. West Side Story? Romeo and Juliet. Lion King? Plenty of similarities to Hamlet. You can't watch West Side Story and assume to have seen Romeo and Juliet and these are intentional and direct influences.

I like your Third Rock from the Sun reference. (They bring up the Hamlet/Lion King thing.)

Then there's things like the heroes journey and other mythology (which it's important to remember that Thor is a legitimate mythological character playing out an adaptation of the actual mythology of Ragnarok, the end of times. You know, how the only way to stop Hela was to allow for the destruction of Asgard, tying to the theme that Thor was not the god of hammers, he was the god of Thunder. The hammer was a focus, not his identity. The physical place of Asgard was a symbol of Asgard, but Asgard was its people. Whereas Killmonger is the result of a dogmatic adherence to isolation and protectionism that had allowed suffering that Wakanda could have prevented.

You're comparing the hero to the villain here. Hela is the result of a dogmatic adherence to anti-isolationism and... well, it's not really possible to say that she's got anything else in her motive... but she wants to do the same thing as Killmonger. His motives are the ideological crux of BP but they're not everything that's in it. And they don't change that the same "bigger picture" message is said by both.

The absolute strength of Black Panther, the thing that people are responding to, is that Killmonger is in his core premise is right. Wakanda's isolation has tacitly endorsed the suffering it could have prevented. If we're going to reach and claw for a 'rip off' then it bears more similarities with Spider-man than Ragnarok. In this case Wakanda is Parker, focusing on their own power and allowing their Uncle Ben, the rest of the African people, get shot and not doing anything. Only it taking centuries. When the both the villain and the hero are right, it becomes a more compelling story. Hela's not 'right', she's just mad like every other super villain.

Killmonger practically quotes The White Man's Burden. He literally says "the sun will never set on the Wakandan Empire". He's not right. Nakia is right. As a tool of communication almost everyone... you included... takes the wrong message from Black Panther. The alternative is to believe that Coogler let stuff like that sun line into his film without realising how strong a critique they are of Killmonger's interpretations. T'Challa is presented as a conservative member of the Wakandan elite... wanting to continue traditional practices... contrasted with Nakia (good) and W'Kabi (bad) to start with... and then along comes Killmonger preaching the same W'Kabian messages T'Challa didn't embrace before.

You can take Ragnarok where Thor wants Loki!Odin to take a more pro-active stance but Loki claims he's respecting internal freedoms and then we meet Hela who would rule everywhere and steal from everyone. It's again about this same colonial relationship and it's the villain who makes it colonial whereas the heroic characters present two alternatives. Loki who agrees with T'Challa and Thor who is Nakian in his thinking.\

If we're going to start calling 'rip off' about unknown claimants to the throne or a hero that has a hardship, a 'point of no return' at the end of the second act that they overcome it in the second, we're going to have to decide that most stories are just 'rip offs' of stories we've been telling for centuries at this point, as Ragnarok didn't invent the unknown claimant to the throne (Man in the Iron Mask, just off the top of my head), nor power struggles of the direction of the throne (Robin Hood?).

You want to attackh value judgements that aren't there.

Frankly, you've fallen prey to a specific flavor of clickbaiting internet critique, that makes for five minute videos making mountains out of a few molehills of comparison, sort of a playschool version of critique that identifies elements and influences and places them in the context of the artform. It sure sounds good and makes for good clicks...it's how I make my living, so click away...but it's not the cut and dry thing you're trying to make it out to be. It's silly. You should stop and just enjoy your movies. Or not. But at least stop making these silly declaratives.

Mine is not a house of cards, but a cathedral made in stone.

Heavens portend...did the two super hero movies end in a climactic battle? Jebus, dude. This is such a bigass shoehorn I feel like it's all the evidence needed you're stretching this comparison tighter than a drum. No need to really reply. The arguments have been presented, people can make up their minds.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:05 pm

Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:09 pm

Normally, individual streaming services are stupid and pointless, but Disney has enough properties now that they could, theoretically, make a service that's actually worth the subscription fee.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:10 pm

The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:11 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:

Hahaha.

Ameri i just want three things in life.

1. A woman to love
2. Cheese
3. Marvel Netflix shows

Dont laugh at my pain.
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:35 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Dont laugh at my pain.

Doing the opposite of this is the tertiary purpose of the Internet

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:50 pm

Olthar wrote:

Normally, individual streaming services are stupid and pointless, but Disney has enough properties now that they could, theoretically, make a service that's actually worth the subscription fee.

I feel like eventually I’ll be paying more for streaming than I was cable.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:57 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:I feel like eventually I’ll be paying more for streaming than I was cable.

Yup. Which is why I never gave it up. Everyone got swept up in the Netflix craze, getting rid of cable and whatnot cause it was cheaper. But now everyone wants their own streaming service. Which means they're going to pay more anyway. I saw this coming from day 1.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:57 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Olthar wrote:Normally, individual streaming services are stupid and pointless, but Disney has enough properties now that they could, theoretically, make a service that's actually worth the subscription fee.

I feel like eventually I’ll be paying more for streaming than I was cable.

Hey, why don't a bunch of companies work together and release streaming services as like, packages of services that you pay for every month.

Oh wait...
Last edited by New haven america on Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:26 am

Forsher wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:I wanted to post something about the time travel apparantly needed to fix the snap can be seen in IW as the Time Stone seems to be in use when Dr. Strange hands it over to Thanos and the Avengers going back in time to the battle of NY to collect the Stones but I guess that's another thread. And I might have missed it but where's the insincere but pretentious fake diamond seller in BP? I don't remember that scene.

Ask yourself, do these two things have the same meaning:

1. "the Academy are incapable of discerning film quality so your appeal to that particular authority is laughable"
  2. "people only like BP because they're pretentious"

I'm not going to because I don't care about that.
Also I think BP was an average movie, not great or bad and a bit racist at times.

Also... MOMA just turns into nearly unintelligible gibberish/a scream because Peter's pulled away as he says it.

Guess I was listening at the wrong time.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Hahaha.

Ameri i just want three things in life.

1. A woman to love
2. Cheese
3. Marvel Netflix shows

Dont laugh at my pain.
I only need two of those and already have one.

My idea for the Endgame stinger: a shot of an alien city with aliens happily doing their daily things when suddenly everything gets covered in shadows. The camera pans out to show the planet partially covered in darkness. Then the screen goes black and the last thing we hear is 'Galactus hungers!'
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:14 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:My idea for the Endgame stinger: a shot of an alien city with aliens happily doing their daily things when suddenly everything gets covered in shadows. The camera pans out to show the planet partially covered in darkness. Then the screen goes black and the last thing we hear is 'Galactus hungers!'

My guess is Kang, and that's what the time travel thing is about, it's a red herring that is a set up for Krang the Conquerer. Because Galactus was at Fox and I don't think they had the time to pull the trigger. And because Fantastic Four plans would have to be put in place.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:25 pm

So the early reviews for Captain Marvel are apparently...not good.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:34 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:My idea for the Endgame stinger: a shot of an alien city with aliens happily doing their daily things when suddenly everything gets covered in shadows. The camera pans out to show the planet partially covered in darkness. Then the screen goes black and the last thing we hear is 'Galactus hungers!'

My guess is Kang, and that's what the time travel thing is about, it's a red herring that is a set up for Krang the Conquerer. Because Galactus was at Fox and I don't think they had the time to pull the trigger. And because Fantastic Four plans would have to be put in place.

I mean, they don't need to do Fantastic 4 stuff to do Galactus teaser :p

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:35 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:So the early reviews for Captain Marvel are apparently...not good.

Read otherwise earlier today

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:39 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:So the early reviews for Captain Marvel are apparently...not good.

...Damn it Looper, you lied to me! That's a WatchMojo move. You're better than that.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:42 pm

I’d be surprised if it was bad, or if any MCU movie was really bad. They have the formula down, and they’re always at least competently made now.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:44 pm

Ooh, found that article in my brief duckduckgo search that came with the same broad conclusion

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:44 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Read otherwise earlier today

I’d be surprised if it was bad, or if any MCU movie was really bad. They have the formula down, and they’re always at least competently made now.
True

I imagine the review bombing it has experienced on RT will continue long after its release tho

Well, intent on seeing the movie or not bombing, or what ever the fuck you can call it.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:53 pm

Seems like such a dumb thing to do to be honest, to hate a movie you haven't seen enough to reviewbomb it prior to it being released.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:58 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:Seems like such a dumb thing to do to be honest, to hate a movie you haven't seen enough to reviewbomb it prior to it being released.

But the lead role is filled by a woman who dared to have opinions on social issues so something something SJW propaganda
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:58 pm

Happens a lot with vidya too.

This really makes me distrust user reviews on media, and who knows how reliable review based sites like Yelp are when it comes to other services and businesses.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:09 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:Seems like such a dumb thing to do to be honest, to hate a movie you haven't seen enough to reviewbomb it prior to it being released.

But the lead role is filled by a woman who dared to have opinions on social issues so something something SJW propaganda

Or, or, people could still be annoyed that Marvel stole the Captain Marvel name from DC's Captain Marvel (Shazam).

Yes, people are still mad about that.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:03 pm

New haven america wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Or, or, people could still be annoyed that Marvel stole the Captain Marvel name from DC's Captain Marvel (Shazam).

Is there an old geezer somewhere upset that DC stole the character?

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:05 pm

New haven america wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

I've only really had experience of the former, especially when I've had to modstick people for it.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:06 pm

New haven america wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Not Marvel's fault DC let the copyright lapse :p

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction