NATION

PASSWORD

MCU/Superhero Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Opinion on Across the Spider-Verse

Haven’t Seen It
37%
0 Stars
2%
1 Star
2%
2 Stars
2%
3 Stars
10%
4 Stars
49%

Total votes : 63

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Mon May 09, 2022 7:00 pm

Seangoli wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Just got back from seeing Multiverse of Madness and im sorry to say i was kind of disappointed, movie didnt really do a lot for me, it was okay but nothing special and i think the first one was better if im honest.

Shame really, this was the marvel movie i was looking forward to the most the last year and a bit.

I agree. I really was unimpressed with this go around for a lot of reasons. It felt a lot less mind-melty as the original, often disjointed and all over the place, and frankly I feel Raimi and Elfman harmed the finished product more than they helped it. There were some good parts that were distinctly Raimi, but ultimately it hurt the overall tone of the film as I personally feel his schlock horror style wears thin pretty fast. And ultimately, I felt it focused more on that then the "wtf-edness" that the film had potential for.

I also just don't like Elfman as for music. He is pretty one-note, and everything just comes off as generic backgroundusic because of it.

Frankly, it had so much potential, and it felt squandered by Raimi leaning so heavily into his personal style, and uninspired scores by Elfman. Rather than giving it a life of its own, it felt like Raimi doing Raimi things and Elfman phoning it in.

I wish they made the Illuminati put up more of a fight against Wanda. But I felt they could have gone NWH and had Sinister Strange and Defender Strange put differences aside to fight against Scarlett Witch with Wong and Rintrah as the Ned and MJ of Dr. Strange Multiverse of Madness or have some more exploration of Earth 838 for a few scenes then have Wanda come in fight them.
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Seangoli
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Mon May 09, 2022 8:27 pm

Gig em Aggies wrote:
Seangoli wrote:
I agree. I really was unimpressed with this go around for a lot of reasons. It felt a lot less mind-melty as the original, often disjointed and all over the place, and frankly I feel Raimi and Elfman harmed the finished product more than they helped it. There were some good parts that were distinctly Raimi, but ultimately it hurt the overall tone of the film as I personally feel his schlock horror style wears thin pretty fast. And ultimately, I felt it focused more on that then the "wtf-edness" that the film had potential for.

I also just don't like Elfman as for music. He is pretty one-note, and everything just comes off as generic backgroundusic because of it.

Frankly, it had so much potential, and it felt squandered by Raimi leaning so heavily into his personal style, and uninspired scores by Elfman. Rather than giving it a life of its own, it felt like Raimi doing Raimi things and Elfman phoning it in.

I wish they made the Illuminati put up more of a fight against Wanda. But I felt they could have gone NWH and had Sinister Strange and Defender Strange put differences aside to fight against Scarlett Witch with Wong and Rintrah as the Ned and MJ of Dr. Strange Multiverse of Madness or have some more exploration of Earth 838 for a few scenes then have Wanda come in fight them.

I really dislike what they did with the Illuminati. Half of them felt like they were out in as a joke to see them die quickly, such as Richards or Black Bolt, and the others were largely killed unceremoniously.

Their entire existence in the film just felt like a rug pull for the sake of a rug pull.

I also found the notion that Dr. strange was a threat to the multiverse largely flat, in no small part because the threat to the multiverse in the movie had nothing to do with him or his decisions in mucking about with the arcane or the multiverse at all.

The more I think about the film, the more disjointed it all felt, and the more it feels like a bunch of good ideas with no codifying theme. It needed a really good razor blade, and a deft hand at editing.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue May 10, 2022 1:44 am

Gig em Aggies wrote:
Seangoli wrote:

I agree, i really would have liked to have seen this happen instead.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Tue May 10, 2022 9:45 am

IDK if this is the Thread but Elisabeth Olsen is in the MCU so I guess it fits. I was just watching an interview and they asked her about social media posts about herself. Long story short she's down with fans calling her mom and I just spent 5 minutes laughing at the comments which were to be expected.
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Tue May 10, 2022 3:47 pm

Christian Confederation wrote:IDK if this is the Thread but Elisabeth Olsen is in the MCU so I guess it fits. I was just watching an interview and they asked her about social media posts about herself. Long story short she's down with fans calling her mom and I just spent 5 minutes laughing at the comments which were to be expected.

Scarlett Witch in the Dr. Strange MOM is 1.) when you lie to your mom and gives you the mother of all whoopins 2.) when you forget your wife's or girlfriend's birthday or wedding anniversary.
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Tue May 10, 2022 9:41 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
I don't think we'll see the 'returns' ever again. But Krasinski probably. Also, short version of the note that Strange recognized Richards as someone from the 60s.

Last edited by Lord Dominator on Tue May 10, 2022 9:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue May 10, 2022 11:52 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
I don't think we'll see the 'returns' ever again. But Krasinski probably. Also, short version of the note that Strange recognized Richards as someone from the 60s.

Yeah, I saw the scene with subtitles and realized that wasn't at all what they were doing.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Eahland
Senator

Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Wed May 11, 2022 12:09 am

I just noticed the Deadpool movies have come up in "Expiring" on Hulu. Suppose that means they're going over to Disney+ too?
Eahlisc Wordboc (Glossary)
Eahlisc Healþambiht segþ: NE DRENCE, EÐA, OÞÞE ONDO BLÆCE!

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Wed May 11, 2022 11:13 am

Gig em Aggies wrote:
Christian Confederation wrote:IDK if this is the Thread but Elisabeth Olsen is in the MCU so I guess it fits. I was just watching an interview and they asked her about social media posts about herself. Long story short she's down with fans calling her mom and I just spent 5 minutes laughing at the comments which were to be expected.

Scarlett Witch in the Dr. Strange MOM is 1.) when you lie to your mom and gives you the mother of all whoopins 2.) when you forget your wife's or girlfriend's birthday or wedding anniversary.

Indeed

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed May 11, 2022 9:47 pm

In any case, I do believe I liked MoM.

Wasn’t the most thrilled about the full villain route, but they did a good job with it, so that’s nice.

Interesting film connection that Strange once again has to resort to some method other than fighting to actually beat the villain in his movies - and the victory over Thanos wasn’t really a physical win either, at that.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Thu May 12, 2022 2:16 am

Doesn't the Guardians of the Galaxy Christmas Special drop this year?

Free Algerstonia
Minister

Founded: Jan 16, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Algerstonia » Thu May 12, 2022 10:30 am

Christian Confederation wrote:Doesn't the Guardians of the Galaxy Christmas Special drop this year?

Yes. So hyped for that and volume 3. I hope that Peter Quill meets his relatives on Earth.
Z

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Thu May 12, 2022 5:07 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:In any case, I do believe I liked MoM.

Wasn’t the most thrilled about the full villain route, but they did a good job with it, so that’s nice.

Interesting film connection that Strange once again has to resort to some method other than fighting to actually beat the villain in his movies - and the victory over Thanos wasn’t really a physical win either, at that.

I don't know how it came, my mind works in ways I can't comprehend but this would have been the perfect song for Multiverse of Madness it has a sense of mystery, and dread when played with a horror film or scene. https://youtu.be/fJ9rUzIMcZQ

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Fri May 13, 2022 7:28 am

Free Algerstonia wrote:
Christian Confederation wrote:Doesn't the Guardians of the Galaxy Christmas Special drop this year?

Yes. So hyped for that and volume 3. I hope that Peter Quill meets his relatives on Earth.

I never thought of that possibility.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri May 13, 2022 2:44 pm

I double dipped because I have a theater subscription. I liked it better the second time around, actually. Without all that "How is this going to change the MCU/who is gonna pop up" kind of anticipation I could just watch the movie.
I noticed it the first time around (obviously, it wasn't hidden) but this time around I really liked that moment when Scarlet Witch finally gets control of Wanda 838 and briefly looks directly at the camera. It's such a Sam Raimi horror move.

The only thing I found that I didn't really like as much was when Doctor Strange realized what needed to be done, his pep talk to America was a little misleading and didn't really give her a hint at what she needed to do. If Chavez hadn't figured it out and just decided to duke it out with the Scarlet Witch hoping her strength was enough that would have ended in a bummer.

And I guess that Doctor Strange is learning the same lesson he had to learn in the first Doctor Strange movie.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri May 13, 2022 4:45 pm

And I guess that Doctor Strange is learning the same lesson he had to learn in the first Doctor Strange movie.

In fairness, the whole 1/16 million thing from IW/Endgame working out was probably a heck of an ego trip to help forget that.
Last edited by Lord Dominator on Fri May 13, 2022 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Fri May 13, 2022 5:00 pm

Spoiler tag in the quote is broken.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri May 13, 2022 5:30 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
And I guess that Doctor Strange is learning the same lesson he had to learn in the first Doctor Strange movie.[/spoiler]

In fairness, the whole 1/16 million thing from IW/Endgame working out was probably a heck of an ego trip to help forget that.

True enough.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri May 13, 2022 8:36 pm

Forsher wrote:Spoiler tag in the quote is broken.

Oop, thanks

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Sun May 15, 2022 1:51 pm

I ever told you guys I'm writing a book?

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun May 15, 2022 3:37 pm

Christian Confederation wrote:I ever told you guys I'm writing a book?

Is it about superheroes?

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun May 15, 2022 4:18 pm

I liked it.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Nova Catania
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Catania » Mon May 16, 2022 6:03 am

Christian Confederation wrote:I ever told you guys I'm writing a book?

That's cool. What about?
Last edited by Nova Catania on Mon May 16, 2022 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Church of Satan
Minister

Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Church of Satan » Mon May 16, 2022 8:48 am

Now that I think about it, in my opinion, the best of both Marvel and DC's live-action shows/movies were non-traditional. As much as I loved Marvel's (former) Netflix shows, their best one so far is Legion. I mean, the writing was fantastic and the visuals were better than even the Avengers movies. DC's best live-action movie/show is still Doom Patrol.

I think Marvel might be focusing less on their core characters now in their movies and TV shows too. I mean, now we have Modok, Hitmonkey, and Moon Knight which are going over very well. What's next? I feel like it could be just about anything.
The Rejected Realms: Former Delegate | Former Vice Delegate | Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History - 824 Days
Free the WA gnomes!

Chanku: This isn't an election it's an assault on the eyes. | Ikania: Hear! The Gospel of... Satan. Erh...
Yuno: Not gonna yell, but CoS is one of the best delegates ever | Ever-Wandering Souls: In the liberal justice system, raiding-based offenses are considered especially heinous. In The South Pacific, the dedicated defenders who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Council on Regional Security. These are their proscriptions. DUN DUN.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon May 16, 2022 10:48 am

The Church of Satan wrote:Now that I think about it, in my opinion, the best of both Marvel and DC's live-action shows/movies were non-traditional. As much as I loved Marvel's (former) Netflix shows, their best one so far is Legion. I mean, the writing was fantastic and the visuals were better than even the Avengers movies. DC's best live-action movie/show is still Doom Patrol.

I think Marvel might be focusing less on their core characters now in their movies and TV shows too. I mean, now we have Modok, Hitmonkey, and Moon Knight which are going over very well. What's next? I feel like it could be just about anything.

Yeah, they actually cancelled Modok.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction