NATION

PASSWORD

MCU/Superhero Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Opinion on Across the Spider-Verse

Haven’t Seen It
37%
0 Stars
2%
1 Star
2%
2 Stars
2%
3 Stars
10%
4 Stars
49%

Total votes : 63

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:17 pm

Christian Confederation wrote:Everyone is arguing about the Netflix shows meanwhile here I am mad they canceled Agent Carter on a cliffhanger.

I loved Agent Carter but that might have a little to do with Haley Atwell. Or a lot.

Also, I may have found a way to be wrong even when I'm right with Hawkeye. Apparently, according to nothing concrete, episode 5 is supposed to be a Big Deal.
Kingpin, still super on the table, but I'm still thinking more Thanos than anything. Like, a tease towards the Echo series rather than the Final Boss. But could still be.

Kate's mom, certainly laid the groundwork for her being the villain. Swordmaster might turn out to be swell. He swipes both ways in the comics, good then bad. Was a bad guy in the comics this is based on.

I was thinking Valentina but they made a point of 'uncle'. Kingpin was able to pull strings to 'borrow' Nuke from the military so Kingpin being able to 'hire' Valentina to hire Yelena isn't outside the realm of possibility. Yelena is not going to get beat, so she either is called off or calls it off herself or joins Team Hawkeye.

Saw a video suggesting that the watch belonged to Hawkeye's wife who also use to be SHIELD. But it's a mens watch I'm pretty sure. Nick Fury's watch? Steve Rogers? Someone not introduced yet? Isiah Bradley's? How messed up would it be if Hawkeye knew the entire time there was another 'Captain America' and didn't tell Sam or Steve? I honestly don't know so I'm just along for the ride on that one.

I'm still onboard. Next week this time we get a face full of Marvel. Wednesday is Ep5, the next day is Spidey.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:38 pm

Hawkeye Episode 5 Predictions.
Since Yelena showed an Episode earlier than expected most of Episode 5 will be fighting/ recruiting her. Likely Recruiting since she's set up to replace Natasha. Stepdad Swordsmen will probably be killed by Kate's Mom who's working for Kingpin. Kingpin will proudly Cameo at most. Daredevil may also show up to let Hawkeye know about Kingpin. Plus then Matt Murdock is established for Spider-Man 3, and Kingpin is set to be the Filler Villan between Thanos and Kang/ The eater of Worlds Galactus.
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:43 am

I think if I'd watched that episode under different circumstances, I'd have liked it more. No matter.

I do think Uncle is Kingpin. I don't know why he'd want the watch but I think that's because we don't know whose identity it'd reveal... it does seem like a man's watch, I agree, but it may have belonged to Laura's father, say. However, once the watch is out of play, then I would expect Kingpin's interest in this storyline to dissipate.

With Maya... I think very much should be the arc villain of this piece. As CC says, the next episode is probably Yelena focussed but Yelena makes it harder to see Maya's function in this plot. After all, it seems too much to imagine them pulling a "put it aside" plotline twice. If I thought Clint was doomed, then it makes sense. He's able to convince Yelena that he didn't kill Natasha, but since Clint did kill Maya's dad* he ultimately accepts his fate and Maya kills him. I guess maybe Clint's daughter will come into it and Maya decides independently to not kill Clint.

As to how Kate's mum and Jack fit into it... Jack is apparently laundering money for the TSM. Maybe Kate's mum pulled strings to get Jack that job, Armand III finds out, doesn't want his nephew embroiled with Kingpin, confronts Kate's mum and is then killed because of what he says. Why Kate's mum would frame Jack is unclear, though... perhaps Derrick is still alive and Jack's whole function is to be a patsy?

(I mean, what happened to the money troubles? I find it somewhat difficult to believe that life and home and contents insurance/compensation solved the money woes.)

As to how that dynamic might unfold... probably Kate's mum is forced to take a more active part because Maya's revenge quest is distracting the Tracksuit Mafia from what they're meant to be doing. Jack continues to catch Kate's attention but he's suspicious about what's up himself. This causes everyone to converge on the watch. Kate's mother gets arrested, Jack probably dies.

Tying everything to do with Yelena up in one episode seems bad so if this is what's happening, then it would be structured quite differently. However, we've already seen arse pulls that effectively come out of no-where from Disney+ original MCU content so maybe thinking about what competent television might do is a bit pointless.

*Multiple Ronin theories aside.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:56 am

Let's be honest
Yelena should have waited for Episode 6 to set up her for Season 2.
but nope just rush everything.

OkBuddySprig
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby OkBuddySprig » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:59 am

Christian Confederation wrote:Let's be honest

tbh they only did that to appease the rabid horde of yelena stans on tiktok and instagram

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:15 am

Okbuddysprig wrote:

tbh they only did that to appease the rabid horde of yelena stans on tiktok and instagram

Probably some intern in the writing room that wouldn't shut up until they did it sooner

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:39 am

til Hawkeye only has six episodes total so two left
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:45 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:til Hawkeye only has six episodes total so two left

It certainly feels that it should only now be half way through, not an episode past halfway. It's concerning given what happened with Loki.

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:09 pm

Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:33 pm

Why would you assume there will be a season 2?
Okbuddysprig wrote:tbh they only did that to appease the rabid horde of yelena stans on tiktok and instagram

Christian Confederation wrote:Probably some intern in the writing room that wouldn't shut up until they did it sooner

Hawkeye finished filming (mostly) in April of 2021, Black Widow released in July of 2021 - but sure, when and where she appears in Hawkeye is entirely bowing to the pressure of rabid fans and not planned in advance whatsoever.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:58 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:

Why would you assume there will be a season 2?
Okbuddysprig wrote:tbh they only did that to appease the rabid horde of yelena stans on tiktok and instagram

Christian Confederation wrote:Probably some intern in the writing room that wouldn't shut up until they did it sooner

Hawkeye finished filming (mostly) in April of 2021, Black Widow released in July of 2021 - but sure, when and where she appears in Hawkeye is entirely bowing to the pressure of rabid fans and not planned in advance whatsoever.

Also where else could she have shown up? Hawkeye is the most sensible story for Yelena to show up in. Clint was the closest person to Nat outside of her family. And him still grieving her is a major point of Hawkeye. Having Yelena, Nats sister who is also still grieving show up is a pretty obvious and sensible writing choice.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:17 pm

Andsed wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:Why would you assume there will be a season 2?

Also where else could she have shown up? Hawkeye is the most sensible story for Yelena to show up in. Clint was the closest person to Nat outside of her family. And him still grieving her is a major point of Hawkeye. Having Yelena, Nats sister who is also still grieving show up is a pretty obvious and sensible writing choice.

How ridiculous would it have been to set up that showdown and then go "psyche! Next season losers."

Also, I don't imagine there will be a Hawkeye season 2, though it isn't out of the question. But Kate is more than likely headed towards the Young Avengers with Cassie Lang (Stature, Scott's daughter), whatever form Wanda's kids take once she's broken all of reality along with Peter apparently, Isaiah Bradley's grandson as Patriot, Ms Marvel, and Iron Heart. Or they won't be the 'young Avengers' they'll just be the Avengers Avengers with Captain Marvel and the Hulk family and Moon Knight. Or who the fuck knows. Vision 2.0 forms the West Coast Avengers and I know that I'm somehow wasting genie wishes and need to wish for world peace more often or something.

The 'second season' for this show is the Echo series where Yelena is less relevant.

That article on Wright contained a Black Panther spoiler-ish that I wasn't ready for, but that will be given away by the movie's promotion anyway.

There's so much coming down the pipe that I actually forgot about key ones, like Quantumania where Kang was supposed to debut. And Secret Invasion. And Armor Wars. And Blade.

Kind wish I was more excited about Blade but it's finally a project I'm kinda "yeah, alright I guess." Even when they pulled out deep catalog weirdness like Eternals, Inhumans, and the Guardians of the Galaxy I wanted to see what they'd do, but I honestly didn't know Blade was a Marvel character until well after the movies came out, for some reason I'm more vampired out than I am zombie'd out and good lord has there been an oversaturation of zombies. At least vampires mince about and have plans. But alas...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:33 pm

BYE LETITIA*

*maybe**

**also I stole this joke from someone, can't remember who... for some reason I think it was another MCU actor

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:40 pm

Andsed wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:Why would you assume there will be a season 2?

Set up wise it seems rushing. Hawkeye was set up to be training the replacement/ Christmas Adventure show. Instead two episodes before the final Instead of wrapping up loose ends we end up throwing more ingredients into the pot.
More than likely Kingpin will show up before the show ends. Throwing Yelena into the mix should have waited until the end. That way Kingpin is set for Spiderman/ Daredevil/ Hawkeye S2, Yelena/ Clint fight is teased for down the line. ETC. Marvel is known for their post credit shenanigans, no reason to change the formula if it's not broken.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:18 pm

Christian Confederation wrote:
Andsed wrote:Also where else could she have shown up? Hawkeye is the most sensible story for Yelena to show up in. Clint was the closest person to Nat outside of her family. And him still grieving her is a major point of Hawkeye. Having Yelena, Nats sister who is also still grieving show up is a pretty obvious and sensible writing choice.

Set up wise it seems rushing. Hawkeye was set up to be training the replacement/ Christmas Adventure show. Instead two episodes before the final Instead of wrapping up loose ends we end up throwing more ingredients into the pot.
More than likely Kingpin will show up before the show ends. Throwing Yelena into the mix should have waited until the end. That way Kingpin is set for Spiderman/ Daredevil/ Hawkeye S2, Yelena/ Clint fight is teased for down the line. ETC. Marvel is known for their post credit shenanigans, no reason to change the formula if it's not broken.

But this isn't changing their post-credit shenanigans. Yelena was given Clint as a target at the end of Black Widow, setting her up to be part of the series. She was hired by someone, either the Kingpin or whoever the big bad is, she's part of that story. She's the escalation. They're following strict formula at this point. Yelena is the 'all is lost' end of act II. Her very arrival ups the stakes to a level that Clint is no longer willing to risk Kate's life, plus his obvious personal connection to the Black Widows Natasha specifically which was underlined before Yelena shows up. Yelena isn't going to break bad again despite her association with Valentina, but Valentina isn't so much villainous as she is more willing to be morally ambiguous. Also, she doesn't seem to like or even respect Valentina the way that US Agent does...forgot his name all of a sudden. So Yelena and Barton will have another encounter, a 'Martha' moment where they realize they're on the same side, then a coming together where Kate brings the new costumes to Clint and they all team up in one way or another to take down the big bad, which probably means showing Echo who was really responsible for her father's death (Kingpin? Kate's mom? Swordsman? I actually don't think Swordsman is going to end up being a bad guy. Maybe. Who knows.)

All of this doesn't preclude Yelena from showing up in a bunch of other stuff just like her sister did with Iron Man movies n'such before she got a posthumous solo movie. In fact the next two episodes will more than likely solidify her allegiances either to the Avengers or Valentina.

To set up Yelena being in Hawkeye and then have her just be another post credit scene would be terrible. She'd become Post Credits Woman, born with the strange ability to only be teased into other projects. I mean, it kinda worked for Thanos, but Yelena ain't no Thanos.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:18 pm

I don't think a post-credits only character is bad... as long as you don't have their previous post credits scene imply they'll be directly relevant to a new plot. Which, of course, is the case here. I agree, Yelena had to show up.

However, it seems like Yelena and Maya are occupying the same "tropeic" space*... or that the plot is barrelling towards Maya's killing Clint, which is weird for metatextual reasons.

In that sense, maybe the post credits scene was a mistake.

*As CTOAN's just put it, to "Martha" moments... with Yelena the realisation that Clint didn't kill and deeply cared for Natasha, with Maya the realisation killing Clint would have the same effect on his children (daughter) that Ronin's killing of her father had on her.
Last edited by Forsher on Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova Catania
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Catania » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:14 pm

I'm really bored right now, so I'm going to share how I think the Fantastic Four are gonna enter the MCU. I haven't read any of the comics, but I know the MCU isn't afraid to break with the comics at times, but this may be a stretch (no pun intended).

It all starts in the late-1980's. Hank Pym is still at SHIELD, and is working with Howard Stark and Reed Richards on quantum stuff. Richards and Sue Storm are dating already, Ben Grimm is a SHIELD pilot, and Johnny Storm is a troublemaker. Victor von Doom is a scientist from Latveria, brought in to consult or whatever. One day the all end up at Project Goliath, a big quantum explosion happens (similar to how Ghost got her powers). And all 5 end up with powers. Maybe at first Doom is a good guy, but he slowly turns evil, before going full-on Norman Osborne. Meanwhile, Reed is figuring out how to fix their powers using quantum energy, but Hank is like, "No, it's too dangerous"(this is after Janet went into the quantum realm). Then von Doom does something really evil (maybe trashing a SHIELD facility), and the 4 have to stop him. They don't win, and he hijacks the quantum tunnel Reed Richards built. (Insert big final fight). They wind up in the quantum realm.

Present Day (or 2024) Hank, Janet, Scott and Hope are conducting more quantum research, and they end up pulling the Fantastic Four out. At first they're happy, then they're like "What do you mean mixtapes aren't a thing" (maybe a funny pop-culture reference chat with Scott). Then Reed realizes that if they survived, Doom did too. Post-credits scene, Doom is pulled out of the quantum realm by someone, identity kept secret, but maybe Kang ; )

Thoughts?

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:10 pm

Nova Catania wrote:I'm really bored right now, so I'm going to share how I think the Fantastic Four are gonna enter the MCU. I haven't read any of the comics, but I know the MCU isn't afraid to break with the comics at times, but this may be a stretch (no pun intended).

It all starts in the late-1980's. Hank Pym is still at SHIELD, and is working with Howard Stark and Reed Richards on quantum stuff. Richards and Sue Storm are dating already, Ben Grimm is a SHIELD pilot, and Johnny Storm is a troublemaker. Victor von Doom is a scientist from Latveria, brought in to consult or whatever. One day the all end up at Project Goliath, a big quantum explosion happens (similar to how Ghost got her powers). And all 5 end up with powers. Maybe at first Doom is a good guy, but he slowly turns evil, before going full-on Norman Osborne. Meanwhile, Reed is figuring out how to fix their powers using quantum energy, but Hank is like, "No, it's too dangerous"(this is after Janet went into the quantum realm). Then von Doom does something really evil (maybe trashing a SHIELD facility), and the 4 have to stop him. They don't win, and he hijacks the quantum tunnel Reed Richards built. (Insert big final fight). They wind up in the quantum realm.

Present Day (or 2024) Hank, Janet, Scott and Hope are conducting more quantum research, and they end up pulling the Fantastic Four out. At first they're happy, then they're like "What do you mean mixtapes aren't a thing" (maybe a funny pop-culture reference chat with Scott). Then Reed realizes that if they survived, Doom did too. Post-credits scene, Doom is pulled out of the quantum realm by someone, identity kept secret, but maybe Kang ; )

Thoughts?

That's pretty good in the sense (a) it seems plausible, (b) it has an internal logic and (c) it doesn't try to do too much in the single film. However, I personally don't like it.

You solve the primary problem with these pitches time shifted pitches, i.e. no-one talks about them because everyone thinks they're dead, but making everything to do with the quantum tunnel is worldshrinking and you haven't addressed why Johnny is involved with the plot (which is one of the most maligned aspects of Fan4stic even though Fan4stic's actually pretty good until they open the portal so that "he built a car" is such a meme is more than a little unfair).

Now, there are a couple of other things to mention which are less problems with what your pitch is trying to do on its own merits and more problems in the sense people want the FF movies to do certain things...

• Victor von Doom shouldn't be just another random immigrant scientist (or businessman) but either the ruler of Latveria or a man worried about the persecution of his mother by the current rulers of Latveria.
  • while I personally prefer that Doom gets powers with everyone else, a lot of people basically just want him to be like the comics... where functionally he's The Phantom of the Opera in an Iron Man suit who uses magic and builds robot versions of himself
  • personally, I'm on the side of the fence that says Doom shouldn't be the starter villain for the FF... he may be their most iconic bad guy, but Valeria (Reed and Sue's daughter) actually has a pretty positive relationship with him, so the MCU should depict Doom as someone Reed and Sue were able to have co-operative relationship with to make Doom's "uncle" status seem less weird... my personal solution is to have Doom be the villain of the second movie, with the conclusion of the first movie being Doom's deciding Reed bears some responsibility for his mother's death (in the sense that "Reed's" error gave them their powers and Reed's "decisions" stopped Doom from returning to Latveria)
    • alternative starter villains are Mole Man, Namor, the Skrulls, the Kree and the Inhuman Genetic Council/the Unspoken (there is a unifying theme here, see below)
  • this is just a conventional superhero origin story... there's nothing definitively Fantastic Four-y about it (other than Reed and Sue are dating), which many people see as being Marvel's version of sci-fi explorer staple... a kind of property where the main purpose is having these adventures in Atlantis, Attilan or space and encountering problems during them and then solving (or not) those
    • obviously there are more conventional superhero stories with the FF... Ben's girlfriend's stepdad's a supervillain, Johnny's girlfriend turned out to be a Skrull being two I know of (and I'm not sure how the (Mad) Thinker gets involved but he's also in their rogue's gallery)... but the Pyms have taken over Marvel's First Family status in the MCU, so I think the MCU FF need to differentiate themselves by telling different kinds of story

Based on the choice of director, I suspect they're probably going to do something inspired more or less by Ultimate Fantastic Four but with age appropriate actors. Yes, I know, Fan4stic kind of tried this but it turned Victor in Ultimate Mole Man, gave him an ambiguous age and Dear Evan Hansened the casting, i.e. the actors didn't look like twenty-somethings playing teenagers.

I'd personally take the part where they're "scattered across the globe" (from Ultimate Fantastic Four) and change it so that they keep being repeatedly teleported as a group through space. This brings in the adventure/exploration element, allows Victor and Reed to clash (Reed should want to explore, Victor needs to get back home to Latveria to protect his mother), allows Ben and Reed to clash (a la the 2005 film... the difference being Ben and Reed reconcile) and allows for a Silver Surfer set up... as a fellow metal man, worried space folk can mistake Doom for the Surfer.

Sue and Reed can always already be an item but I think it works best when you play romance plots out from the start. This also makes involving Johnny in the plot easier. If Reed and Sue meet for the first time on screen and then journey to Reed's lab as teenagers, Johnny is there for the same reason Doom is... he just happened to be there. (Ben and Reed are working together.)

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:58 pm

Forsher wrote:
Nova Catania wrote:I'm really bored right now, so I'm going to share how I think the Fantastic Four are gonna enter the MCU. I haven't read any of the comics, but I know the MCU isn't afraid to break with the comics at times, but this may be a stretch (no pun intended).

Thoughts?

That's pretty good in the sense (a) it seems plausible, (b) it has an internal logic and (c) it doesn't try to do too much in the single film. However, I personally don't like it.

You solve the primary problem with these pitches time shifted pitches, i.e. no-one talks about them because everyone thinks they're dead, but making everything to do with the quantum tunnel is worldshrinking and you haven't addressed why Johnny is involved with the plot (which is one of the most maligned aspects of Fan4stic even though Fan4stic's actually pretty good until they open the portal so that "he built a car" is such a meme is more than a little unfair).

Now, there are a couple of other things to mention which are less problems with what your pitch is trying to do on its own merits and more problems in the sense people want the FF movies to do certain things...

• Victor von Doom shouldn't be just another random immigrant scientist (or businessman) but either the ruler of Latveria or a man worried about the persecution of his mother by the current rulers of Latveria.
  • while I personally prefer that Doom gets powers with everyone else, a lot of people basically just want him to be like the comics... where functionally he's The Phantom of the Opera in an Iron Man suit who uses magic and builds robot versions of himself
  • personally, I'm on the side of the fence that says Doom shouldn't be the starter villain for the FF... he may be their most iconic bad guy, but Valeria (Reed and Sue's daughter) actually has a pretty positive relationship with him, so the MCU should depict Doom as someone Reed and Sue were able to have co-operative relationship with to make Doom's "uncle" status seem less weird... my personal solution is to have Doom be the villain of the second movie, with the conclusion of the first movie being Doom's deciding Reed bears some responsibility for his mother's death (in the sense that "Reed's" error gave them their powers and Reed's "decisions" stopped Doom from returning to Latveria)
    • alternative starter villains are Mole Man, Namor, the Skrulls, the Kree and the Inhuman Genetic Council/the Unspoken (there is a unifying theme here, see below)
  • this is just a conventional superhero origin story... there's nothing definitively Fantastic Four-y about it (other than Reed and Sue are dating), which many people see as being Marvel's version of sci-fi explorer staple... a kind of property where the main purpose is having these adventures in Atlantis, Attilan or space and encountering problems during them and then solving (or not) those
    • obviously there are more conventional superhero stories with the FF... Ben's girlfriend's stepdad's a supervillain, Johnny's girlfriend turned out to be a Skrull being two I know of (and I'm not sure how the (Mad) Thinker gets involved but he's also in their rogue's gallery)... but the Pyms have taken over Marvel's First Family status in the MCU, so I think the MCU FF need to differentiate themselves by telling different kinds of story

Based on the choice of director, I suspect they're probably going to do something inspired more or less by Ultimate Fantastic Four but with age appropriate actors. Yes, I know, Fan4stic kind of tried this but it turned Victor in Ultimate Mole Man, gave him an ambiguous age and Dear Evan Hansened the casting, i.e. the actors didn't look like twenty-somethings playing teenagers.

I'd personally take the part where they're "scattered across the globe" (from Ultimate Fantastic Four) and change it so that they keep being repeatedly teleported as a group through space. This brings in the adventure/exploration element, allows Victor and Reed to clash (Reed should want to explore, Victor needs to get back home to Latveria to protect his mother), allows Ben and Reed to clash (a la the 2005 film... the difference being Ben and Reed reconcile) and allows for a Silver Surfer set up... as a fellow metal man, worried space folk can mistake Doom for the Surfer.

Sue and Reed can always already be an item but I think it works best when you play romance plots out from the start. This also makes involving Johnny in the plot easier. If Reed and Sue meet for the first time on screen and then journey to Reed's lab as teenagers, Johnny is there for the same reason Doom is... he just happened to be there. (Ben and Reed are working together.)

I personally think it’d be nice if they ditched the idea of having Doom involved in the origin story entirely - basically just do a setting update on the original origin.

Like, everyone meets in college, Doom being trying to rescue his mother from Hell, all that stuff, Reed builds [whatever exploration vehicle], F4 gets superpowers, etc.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:03 am

Eventually they have to reboot the MCU. Originally they didn't have all the rights and couldn't fully tell the story of the universe. Now a decade + In the rights are finally consolidated and they have to find a way to work 2/3rds of the Marvel universe into the MCU. Can they make it work sure. But they could botch it terribly. We could believe mutants were always around but it would be crappy writing.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:42 pm

I enjoyed Eternals, having got to finally see it (sad I couldn’t see it on the local giant screen, for Arishem’s lines).
Pretty convinced (if probably wrong) that the Celestials aren’t actually responsible for life (or even most of it), but rather that Arishem really wants more Celestials & consequently is willing to seed more life. Alternatively, the seeding of life in general is separate from more Celestials, and the latter isn’t actually required for more of the former.

Misheard the Peter Pan metaphor and consequently spent half the movie thinking Sprite was in love with Sersei.

My really off the wall theory is that thanks to Eros being the (presumably adopted) brother of Thanos, Thanos knew about Celestials, and an Emergence was what doomer Titan (note that Tiamut doesn’t seem nearly large enough to actually crack the planet, but is obviously large enough to basically destroy the biosphere - this also explains the gravity stuff), and his half death thing would also prevent this from happening in general, provided the planet keeps to the lower level (observe that the snap did in fact at least delay Tiamut). Almost certainly not the case though, since it’d make him unreasonably sympathetic/right.

Christian Confederation wrote:Eventually they have to reboot the MCU. Originally they didn't have all the rights and couldn't fully tell the story of the universe. Now a decade + In the rights are finally consolidated and they have to find a way to work 2/3rds of the Marvel universe into the MCU. Can they make it work sure. But they could botch it terribly. We could believe mutants were always around but it would be crappy writing.

Mutants having been around awhile is only an issue if it’s in great numbers - a rough adaptation of the current run by Hickman (where in part, the global mutant population was extremely low for awhile, before a sudden explosion) would work pretty well. Also, the three snaps are a pretty good reason for the sudden explosion.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:36 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:I enjoyed Eternals, having got to finally see it (sad I couldn’t see it on the local giant screen, for Arishem’s lines).
Pretty convinced (if probably wrong) that the Celestials aren’t actually responsible for life (or even most of it), but rather that Arishem really wants more Celestials & consequently is willing to seed more life. Alternatively, the seeding of life in general is separate from more Celestials, and the latter isn’t actually required for more of the former.

Misheard the Peter Pan metaphor and consequently spent half the movie thinking Sprite was in love with Sersei.

My really off the wall theory is that thanks to Eros being the (presumably adopted) brother of Thanos, Thanos knew about Celestials, and an Emergence was what doomer Titan (note that Tiamut doesn’t seem nearly large enough to actually crack the planet, but is obviously large enough to basically destroy the biosphere - this also explains the gravity stuff), and his half death thing would also prevent this from happening in general, provided the planet keeps to the lower level (observe that the snap did in fact at least delay Tiamut). Almost certainly not the case though, since it’d make him unreasonably sympathetic/right.

They're for real real brothers in the comics, though Thanos got a touch o' the deviant in him, which is why they look so different. How they'll play it in the MCU is anyone's guess. Pip is Adam Warlock's drinking buddy, not Starfox's (Eros). And all the other dozens of changes. I mean, Mantis couldn't be further from her comic book counterpart.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:59 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:I enjoyed Eternals, having got to finally see it (sad I couldn’t see it on the local giant screen, for Arishem’s lines).

They're for real real brothers in the comics, though Thanos got a touch o' the deviant in him, which is why they look so different. How they'll play it in the MCU is anyone's guess. Pip is Adam Warlock's drinking buddy, not Starfox's (Eros). And all the other dozens of changes. I mean, Mantis couldn't be further from her comic book counterpart.

Eros is adopted (as an adult, because that could happen) is honestly just the explanation that makes the most sense to me that I’ve seen - heck, I just realized that “blood/battle brothers” is entirely possible

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:53 pm

Christian Confederation wrote:Eventually they have to reboot the MCU. Originally they didn't have all the rights and couldn't fully tell the story of the universe. Now a decade + In the rights are finally consolidated and they have to find a way to work 2/3rds of the Marvel universe into the MCU. Can they make it work sure. But they could botch it terribly. We could believe mutants were always around but it would be crappy writing.

Mutants having been around awhile is only an issue if it’s in great numbers - a rough adaptation of the current run by Hickman (where in part, the global mutant population was extremely low for awhile, before a sudden explosion) would work pretty well. Also, the three snaps are a pretty good reason for the sudden explosion.

True

Pasong Tirad
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Pasong Tirad » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:05 pm

Last edited by Pasong Tirad on Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction