NATION

PASSWORD

MCU/Superhero Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Opinion on Across the Spider-Verse

Haven’t Seen It
37%
0 Stars
2%
1 Star
2%
2 Stars
2%
3 Stars
10%
4 Stars
49%

Total votes : 63

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:51 am

No one cares, but my power binge of Hit Monkey on Hulu is complete:
Like I said, relatively faithful. Since there's only 4 issues of the character as a title character there's not a lot there. The changes that they did make were actually to add more story rather than take stuff out.

The ghost gets a name and a way more Jason Sudakis style personality, kind of prefer it to the weird stoic comic book ghost. Rather than the ghost being there for Hit Monkey's journey he's convinced that he needs Hit Monkey to finish his business. The arguments between Hit Monkey and Bryce (the ghost) are pretty fun, mostly because they don't subtitle HIt Monkey unless he's talking to other animals.

They also complicate the revenge story and add a bunch of characters. Instead of Bullseye it's Lady Bullseye because they're doing a whole...thing with that character that's different than Bullseye, but Bullseye was the main villain/foe in the comics. They also use a few other Japanese heroes and villains...meaning that the Hit Monkey cartoon had more Marvel characters in it than the original comic. Silver Samurai appears in the finale, Fat Cobra (one of the Immortal Weapons from the seven cities of heaven-one of which is K'un Lun, where the other Immortal Weapon hails from Iron Fist. Fat Cobra is the immortal weapon of Peng Lai. Yuki looks like the ninja Yuki and acts like the goddess Yuki, but this time protects Japan.

I mean, if you watched it you know that and if you didn't you probably didn't click the spoiler...ah well.

Non-spoiler stuff-but still a bit much to scroll by if you don't care.
THe faithful stuff was cool, the added stuff was an improvement. The animation style seems more western influenced by Japanese rather than Westerners just doing Japanese style art. I rather liked it. Crazy violent but also light. It's deep in Marvel but not even hinting at being in the MCU, it's very clearly in its own universe. Obviously. Even more-so than M.O.D.O.K.. I liked it overall. I got into Hit Monkey backwards because he was in the Howling Commandos series. I think it'd be cool if they do a second season that they eventually just work it into the Howling Commandos. There's no way they're saving that for the MCU. A team up between a Dum Dum Doogan clone, a zombie Hydra guy...gah, what's his name? Sitwell. Zombie Sitwell. Hit Monkey, Man Thing, Orggo (a big...thing...with glowing eyes), Teen Abomination, Manphibian...that ain't happening in the MCU. I dig that series but I think I'm the only one. I'm a sucker for Man Thing though.

Anyway. Going to be very much to taste. I wouldn't say required viewing but you know, if a mutant (implied) monkey that learns to be an assassin by the ghost of a hitman and gets involved in Japanese political intrigue via a lot of gruesome killing and quippy dialog sounds like something you'd enjoy, you'll probably enjoy it. If that sounds grating as hell it's not going to change your mind.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:20 am

Eahland wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:My Maserati does 1-85...

My Lamborghini does two-hundred-three
Broke my hands, now I can't do surgery
Got a sling ring, step through the gate
Time Stone in case I get there too late

Omg this is brilliant!
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Christian Confederation
Senator

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:43 am

Xmara wrote:
Eahland wrote:My Lamborghini does two-hundred-three
Broke my hands, now I can't do surgery
Got a sling ring, step through the gate
Time Stone in case I get there too late

Omg this is brilliant!

Ilr
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

Eahland
Senator

Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:09 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:No one cares, but my power binge of Hit Monkey on Hulu is complete:
Like I said, relatively faithful. Since there's only 4 issues of the character as a title character there's not a lot there. The changes that they did make were actually to add more story rather than take stuff out.

The ghost gets a name and a way more Jason Sudakis style personality, kind of prefer it to the weird stoic comic book ghost. Rather than the ghost being there for Hit Monkey's journey he's convinced that he needs Hit Monkey to finish his business. The arguments between Hit Monkey and Bryce (the ghost) are pretty fun, mostly because they don't subtitle HIt Monkey unless he's talking to other animals.

They also complicate the revenge story and add a bunch of characters. Instead of Bullseye it's Lady Bullseye because they're doing a whole...thing with that character that's different than Bullseye, but Bullseye was the main villain/foe in the comics. They also use a few other Japanese heroes and villains...meaning that the Hit Monkey cartoon had more Marvel characters in it than the original comic. Silver Samurai appears in the finale, Fat Cobra (one of the Immortal Weapons from the seven cities of heaven-one of which is K'un Lun, where the other Immortal Weapon hails from Iron Fist. Fat Cobra is the immortal weapon of Peng Lai. Yuki looks like the ninja Yuki and acts like the goddess Yuki, but this time protects Japan.

I mean, if you watched it you know that and if you didn't you probably didn't click the spoiler...ah well.

THe faithful stuff was cool, the added stuff was an improvement. The animation style seems more western influenced by Japanese rather than Westerners just doing Japanese style art. I rather liked it. Crazy violent but also light. It's deep in Marvel but not even hinting at being in the MCU, it's very clearly in its own universe. Obviously. Even more-so than M.O.D.O.K.. I liked it overall. I got into Hit Monkey backwards because he was in the Howling Commandos series. I think it'd be cool if they do a second season that they eventually just work it into the Howling Commandos. There's no way they're saving that for the MCU. A team up between a Dum Dum Doogan clone, a zombie Hydra guy...gah, what's his name? Sitwell. Zombie Sitwell. Hit Monkey, Man Thing, Orggo (a big...thing...with glowing eyes), Teen Abomination, Manphibian...that ain't happening in the MCU. I dig that series but I think I'm the only one. I'm a sucker for Man Thing though.

Anyway. Going to be very much to taste. I wouldn't say required viewing but you know, if a mutant (implied) monkey that learns to be an assassin by the ghost of a hitman and gets involved in Japanese political intrigue via a lot of gruesome killing and quippy dialog sounds like something you'd enjoy, you'll probably enjoy it. If that sounds grating as hell it's not going to change your mind.

I binged the whole thing yesterday. It was a fun ride, though my Bryce tolerance pretty much wore out towards the end. That might not have been so bad if I hadn't watched it all in one go. I've never read Hit Monkey comics, and kept forgetting that it was a Marvel show, and then Silver Samurai cameo!

I was really impressed that they had the chutzpah to do a deep character development episode entirely in subtitled monkey noises. (Okay, half an episode. Bryce got his half in unsubtitled human noises.)
Eahlisc Wordboc (Glossary)
Eahlisc Healþambiht segþ: NE DRENCE, EÐA, OÞÞE ONDO BLÆCE!

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:02 pm

Eahland wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:No one cares, but my power binge of Hit Monkey on Hulu is complete:

I binged the whole thing yesterday. It was a fun ride, though my Bryce tolerance pretty much wore out towards the end. That might not have been so bad if I hadn't watched it all in one go. I've never read Hit Monkey comics, and kept forgetting that it was a Marvel show, and then Silver Samurai cameo!

I was really impressed that they had the chutzpah to do a deep character development episode entirely in subtitled monkey noises. (Okay, half an episode. Bryce got his half in unsubtitled human noises.)

I wonder what it’d be like to alternate between Hit Monkey and Ted Lasso. Snarky assassin…aggressively positive soccer coach
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:56 pm

Also, I saw the Spider-man trailer in Imax and realized that...wait, are we still spoilering stuff we see in the trailer? Eh, better safe than sorry I guess:
Hobgoblin is in it at the 3:12 mark. On a Goblin Glider, wearing a hood, the pumpkin bombs aren't pumpkin bombs but cylindrical...after searching the internet I'm late to that party a bit, but that's Hobgoblin. Or looks like Hobgoblin, I should say. A Ned Leeds from another dimension? Reading too much into a one and half second shot? Who knows. Looks like Hobgoblin.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:20 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:Also, I saw the Spider-man trailer in Imax and realized that...wait, are we still spoilering stuff we see in the trailer? Eh, better safe than sorry I guess:
Hobgoblin is in it at the 3:12 mark. On a Goblin Glider, wearing a hood, the pumpkin bombs aren't pumpkin bombs but cylindrical...after searching the internet I'm late to that party a bit, but that's Hobgoblin. Or looks like Hobgoblin, I should say. A Ned Leeds from another dimension? Reading too much into a one and half second shot? Who knows. Looks like Hobgoblin.

Interesting
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

Ancapimania
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 11, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Ancapimania » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:03 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:Also, I saw the Spider-man trailer in Imax and realized that...wait, are we still spoilering stuff we see in the trailer? Eh, better safe than sorry I guess:

Wait really? I really wanted rhino or or even kraven the hunter.
The nation of Ancapimania is a free,democratic Nation with guns
officially a British ancap
Defcon 5-very peaceful
Ancappro drugsanti Americaanti Chinaanti EUpro choicemusketeerDragon city pro

Ancap wonderland
Here's why I'm anti American: they eat burger king.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:05 pm

Ancapimania wrote:

Wait really? I really wanted rhino or or even kraven the hunter.

They have introduced the Kraven actor really really early. Just like Jonathan Majors as Kang. Not that this really says anything, but they could spring Kraven on us,

With every Spider-man movie I feel like we get closer to Kraven’s last hunt.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:08 pm

The official trailer is only 3:04 but you can see him at 0:02 and at 2:02 Electro seems to be shooting at Doc Ock so that might leave another open spot in the Sinister Six.

Also leaked footage showing Garfield leaning on scaffolding and three Spider-men in costume

Goblins confirmed
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:13 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:

The official trailer is only 3:04 but you can see him at 0:02 and at 2:02 Electro seems to be shooting at Doc Ock so that might leave another open spot in the Sinister Six.

Also leaked footage showing Garfield leaning on scaffolding and three Spider-men in costume

Goblins confirmed

*Charlie Cox back as Daredevil*

Dont do that, dont give me hope.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:27 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:

Goblins confirmed

*Charlie Cox back as Daredevil*

Dont do that, dont give me hope.
ONE WEEK!
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.

25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Ancapimania
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancapimania » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:40 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Ancapimania wrote:Wait really? I really wanted rhino or or even kraven the hunter.

They have introduced the Kraven actor really really early. Just like Jonathan Majors as Kang. Not that this really says anything, but they could spring Kraven on us,

But they won't have enough time for his backstory,otherwise it will be a really cramped movie or a very long movie. With rhino though,they teased him already in the morbius trailer
Defcon 5-very peaceful

Ancap wonderland

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:52 pm

Ancapimania wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:They have introduced the Kraven actor really really early. Just like Jonathan Majors as Kang. Not that this really says anything, but they could spring Kraven on us,

But they won't have enough time for his backstory,otherwise it will be a really cramped movie or a very long movie. With rhino though,they teased him already in the morbius trailer

I missed that.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:54 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:

Goblins confirmed

2:12, I meant apparently.

Ancapimania
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancapimania » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:43 pm

Captain Britain would be a great addition to the MCU,with black knight and the multiverse,it is the perfect time.
Defcon 5-very peaceful

Ancap wonderland

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:21 am

Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:26 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:

Ooof, you know what that looks like to me? Shitty Green Goblin from Amazing Spider-man 2. Doubt it would be that, though.

Honestly, I have a better chance of being wrong than you do. This shit is gonna be crowded with tons of nonsense to set up and explain to have to throw in "Oh yeah, and this is Hobgoblin. Take notes, this will be on the test" might just be too much. It could just be a way to address the only thing people didn't like about Defoe's goblin, that helmet. It kind of looks like hes' got that purple night cap thing on.

So...if I were a betting man I'd probably put money on you rather than me.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:23 pm

I completely forgot there was a Goblin in Spider-men 2, I thought the Lizard was in that one.

25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:57 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:I completely forgot there was a Goblin in Spider-men 2, I thought the Lizard was in that one.

I mean, you sorted it out by now no doubt, but Lizard was the first one which somehow got overwhelmed by how unfocused the second one was. The first one is the one where they arranged all the construction cranes down a street so Spider-man could save the day and Dennis Leary played Gwen Stacy's dad who didn't like Spider-man.

Spider-man 2 was actually two or three movies. One where someone went through the arc Ed Nigma went through in Batman Forever, the least remembered of the 20th century Batman movies, and became Electro and then had to introduce an important friend to Peter Parker and have him do a heel turn in order to do the Green Goblin. Except this time he wanted Spider-man's blood to figure out a way to cure a rare genetic disease but instead used the Goblin Formula and showed up in the third act like the movie was about him and killed Gwen Stacy. All for a teaser that suggested that the Sinister Six was coming.

Oh, and Rhino showed up but they ran out of film.

That movie was all over the place...

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:13 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:I completely forgot there was a Goblin in Spider-men 2, I thought the Lizard was in that one.

I mean, you sorted it out by now no doubt, but Lizard was the first one which somehow got overwhelmed by how unfocused the second one was. The first one is the one where they arranged all the construction cranes down a street so Spider-man could save the day and Dennis Leary played Gwen Stacy's dad who didn't like Spider-man.

Spider-man 2 was actually two or three movies. One where someone went through the arc Ed Nigma went through in Batman Forever, the least remembered of the 20th century Batman movies, and became Electro and then had to introduce an important friend to Peter Parker and have him do a heel turn in order to do the Green Goblin. Except this time he wanted Spider-man's blood to figure out a way to cure a rare genetic disease but instead used the Goblin Formula and showed up in the third act like the movie was about him and killed Gwen Stacy. All for a teaser that suggested that the Sinister Six was coming.

Yeah, I remember the cranes and the Lizard but thought it was the second movie for some reason and the first was about ... something else I guess. Which is weird because from the second movie I do remember Electro and Rhino, I just completly forgot the Green Goblin and had no clue what you were talking about. :p It's all coming back to me now though.

And we all know MJ is going to survive the fall we see in the trailer, because, you know, she's not called Gwen.

25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:19 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:I mean, you sorted it out by now no doubt, but Lizard was the first one which somehow got overwhelmed by how unfocused the second one was. The first one is the one where they arranged all the construction cranes down a street so Spider-man could save the day and Dennis Leary played Gwen Stacy's dad who didn't like Spider-man.

Yeah, I remember the cranes and the Lizard but thought it was the second movie for some reason and the first was about ... something else I guess. Which is weird because from the second movie I do remember Electro and Rhino, I just completly forgot the Green Goblin and had no clue what you were talking about. :p It's all coming back to me now though.

And we all know MJ is going to survive the fall we see in the trailer, because, you know, she's not called Gwen.

But her last name isn't Watson...eh? EH?

Yeah, nah, pretty sure he's gonna catch her. But then they already did that whole bit in the first one inside the Washington monument.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:27 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:Yeah, I remember the cranes and the Lizard but thought it was the second movie for some reason and the first was about ... something else I guess. Which is weird because from the second movie I do remember Electro and Rhino, I just completly forgot the Green Goblin and had no clue what you were talking about. :p It's all coming back to me now though.

But her last name isn't Watson...eh? EH?

Yeah, nah, pretty sure he's gonna catch her. But then they already did that whole bit in the first one inside the Washington monument.

Wait that's true, but they can't just repeat the first movie either...

Spider-Garfield is going to catch her, to make up for Gwen in his movie.

25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:36 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:But her last name isn't Watson...eh? EH?

Wait that's true, but they can't just repeat the first movie either...

Spider-Garfield is going to catch her, to make up for Gwen in his movie.

I think I've seen that idea, that as MJ falls the other Spider-men appear and save her and team up for the final battle.

I dunno. Apparently this thing is Endgame long so all sorts of shit can happen.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:54 pm

Other Spidermen do show up but they are all played by Willem Dafoe

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction