NATION

PASSWORD

MCU/Superhero Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Opinion on Across the Spider-Verse

Haven’t Seen It
37%
0 Stars
2%
1 Star
2%
2 Stars
2%
3 Stars
10%
4 Stars
49%

Total votes : 63

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:11 pm

Some of the tweets actually go further to 2012. That’s about when they would have started on GotG.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:17 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:Some of the tweets actually go further to 2012. That’s about when they would have started on GotG.

Apparently he deleted an absolute fuck ton from around that time period and before hand, i guess because he believed something like this might end up happening.

Like these were some of them:

“Expendables is so manly I f—ed the s— out of the p-ssy boy next to me,”

“The best thing about being raped is when you’re done being raped and it’s like ‘whew this feels great, not being raped!'”

“I remember my first NAMBLA meeting. It was the first time I felt ok being who I am,”

“I’m doing a big Hollywood film adaptation of The Giving Tree with a happy ending — the tree grows back and gives the kid a b—job.”

Like i laugh at some dark humour, but its honestly understandable why they would rop him, as even that stuff is a bit much for me.

more of them
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:37 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:Some of the tweets actually go further to 2012. That’s about when they would have started on GotG.

Apparently he deleted an absolute fuck ton from around that time period and before hand, i guess because he believed something like this might end up happening.

Like these were some of them:

“Expendables is so manly I f—ed the s— out of the p-ssy boy next to me,”

“The best thing about being raped is when you’re done being raped and it’s like ‘whew this feels great, not being raped!'”

“I remember my first NAMBLA meeting. It was the first time I felt ok being who I am,”

“I’m doing a big Hollywood film adaptation of The Giving Tree with a happy ending — the tree grows back and gives the kid a b—job.”

Like i laugh at some dark humour, but its honestly understandable why they would rop him, as even that stuff is a bit much for me.

more of them

Wow, yeah. I'm on Disney's side here. Usually, I disapprove of these sorts of over reactions to jokes, but these are too much. He should have been smart enough not to say those sorts of things in public, especially since some of them don't even follow the traditional joke format and could be easily interpreted as serious statements. That NAMBLA one, most notably, does not look remotely like a joke.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:39 pm

Saw Ant-man & Wasp yesterday.
Was fairly funny, but otherwise a not-great/not-bad sort of movie

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:43 pm

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I’m kind of sad. I thought James Gunn was good. The guy who surfaced these tweets, Mike Cernovich, is an alt-righter who obviously leaked these tweets because Gunn is an outspoken critic of Trump. The dude defended an actually accused pedophile when he was the Republican nominee for Alabama, but apparently these tweets mean Gunn must be a pedophile. /s

Still though, I can’t blame Disney for not wanting to be associated with that. Your social media presence does matter.

Another thing to note is that there’s apparently a dispute between how much of the first movie was written by Nicole Perlman and how much was written by James Gunn. He had much more control over the second movie, which explains why it’s different.
Last edited by The first Galactic Republic on Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:07 pm

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:02 am

The MCU name drop in Cloak & Dagger was...drum roll...Misty Knight (no shit, I almost wrote Copeland, premiere ballerina...) from the Netflix show. When one character remarks about someone having super powers to another, that one goes, "I'm from New York, I've seen it...did I ever tell you about my friend Misty?"

Also, just about when I was ready to resign myself to Cloak never having a cloak, he got a pretty comic book looking cloak, dark blue and black and everything. He even acted almost Cloak like by freaking the shit out of a dude.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Platypus Bureaucracy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Platypus Bureaucracy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:14 pm

Hmm, so the Defenders was good. Not great, and it felt a bit too long even at eight episodes, but the characters' interactions and the action scenes carried it. Iron Fist and his girlfriend are still boring, though.

Also, I don't think anyone actually said the word "Defenders", not even as a joke.
Platypus of the non-venomous, egg-laying variety
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:I will never stop being a gay platypus.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:You glorifted ducking wanabe sea pheasant

Platapusses are not rel

Ostroeuropa wrote:"Can we just eat SOME of the rich?"

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:Hmm, so the Defenders was good. Not great, and it felt a bit too long even at eight episodes, but the characters' interactions and the action scenes carried it. Iron Fist and his girlfriend are still boring, though.

Also, I don't think anyone actually said the word "Defenders", not even as a joke.

"So that's it huh? We're some kind of Marvel's The Defenders?"

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:45 am

Lord Dominator wrote:Saw Ant-man & Wasp yesterday.
Was fairly funny, but otherwise a not-great/not-bad sort of movie

It's hilarious and very different for an MCU production. Actually better than either Black Panther
(terribly formulaic, overly reliant on its setting and not funny enough... I prefer my MCU movies with jokes, hence M'Baku is categorically the best thing in BP)
or Infinity War
(it ultimately stretches credulity how lucky Thanos is; I once saw someone say he's the real hero of the movie and they're completely right... even down to how everything just happens to work out right for his success).
Don't get me wrong, I like BP and really like Infinity War but AMatW is just better (recency bias and all). But on the difference-ness...

Observe how the entire plot revolved purely around what the heroes wanted to do (closest equivalent being Ant-Man)... the villains (both of them) were mosquitoes in the scheme of things. Speaking of which... there were two villains who both had completely different motivations and were always at each others' throats (unique among MCU pmovies... compare AoS S2). It's also quite unusual in the MCU to have the heroes decide a villain isn't completely awful and let them go (I cannot really think of one like this). The scope of the film is also very small (Wasp wants to rescue her mother, Ghost wants to be cured and Burch sees a business opportunity... even Yellowjacket has big schemes for his tech, Blonsky just wants to fight but his opponent is the Hulk and, I suppose, all Vulture's doing is just selling stuff because it sells). Oh, and it's very clearly a duo film.

Actually, AMatW wouldn't be that out of place in most series of SHIELD...
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:48 am

...Better than Black Panther and Infinity War? What are you smoking and can I have some?
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:00 am

Ameriganastan wrote:...Better than Black Panther and Infinity War? What are you smoking and can I have some?

As I recall you hate the latter...

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:05 am

Forsher wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:...Better than Black Panther and Infinity War? What are you smoking and can I have some?

I dont think he liked either.
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:55 am

Forsher wrote:

I hated the ENDING of the latter. The other 99% was good.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Forsher wrote:

I dont think he liked either.

What? Black Panther ruled.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:56 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Forsher wrote:

I hated the ENDING of the latter. The other 99% was good.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:I dont think he liked either.

What? Black Panther ruled.

Oh, just couldnt remember then.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:21 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:What? Black Panther ruled.

There's a joke to be made here.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:49 am

something something wakanda forever

I wonder how much he hates having to do that salute, probably done it like a million times now.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:43 pm

Man...I just watched Infinity War.

And I am really disappointed.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:49 pm

Salus Maior wrote:Man...I just watched Infinity War.

Clearly you had seen AMatW previously. Don't worry. It's a common complaint.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:51 pm

Forsher wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:Man...I just watched Infinity War.

AMatW?

(After looking it up) And no, I hadn't actually.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:06 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Forsher wrote:

AMatW?

:o

Why did you find Infinity War disappointing then?

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:14 pm

Forsher wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
AMatW?

The first half was good, I'd say. But it seems like it was really rushed towards the end, as in, making characters act completely opposite to what their character is.

Why would Doctor Strange give Thanos the time stone? It makes no bloody sense with everything that's been established with his character in the past. We're talking about a guy who in his original movie died multiple deaths to prevent Earth from being attacked from the Demon, a man who is clear headed and is focused on the protection of Earth and the universe....Just give Thanos the time stone, knowing exactly what he would do with it considering he JUST saw it when he was peering into the future? To save Stark, who he barely even knows and is also fighting to the death to keep Thanos in check as much as he is? And most certainly isn't guaranteed to live anyway when Thanos snaps.

It's just lazy writing, making a character do an uncharacteristic thing that ends in astronomical consequences just to let Thanos win. And the thing is, he dies anyway when Thanos snaps, so why didn't they write it so that he fought to the death to keep the stone safe? That would absolutely be within his established character.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:34 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Forsher wrote:

The first half was good, I'd say. But it seems like it was really rushed towards the end, as in, making characters act completely opposite to what their character is.

Why would Doctor Strange give Thanos the time stone? It makes no bloody sense with everything that's been established with his character in the past. We're talking about a guy who in his original movie died multiple deaths to prevent Earth from being attacked from the Demon, a man who is clear headed and is focused on the protection of Earth and the universe....Just give Thanos the time stone, knowing exactly what he would do with it considering he JUST saw it when he was peering into the future? To save Stark, who he barely even knows and is also fighting to the death to keep Thanos in check as much as he is? And most certainly isn't guaranteed to live anyway when Thanos snaps.

It's just lazy writing, making a character do an uncharacteristic thing that ends in astronomical consequences just to let Thanos win. And the thing is, he dies anyway when Thanos snaps, so why didn't they write it so that he fought to the death to keep the stone safe? That would absolutely be within his established character.

The general thinking is that had they managed to pull the Gauntlet off Thanos or Strange used a sling ring to remove it by chopping Thanos' hand off (a la Black Dwarf earlier; which is a bit probably included to remind us that they knew this was an option) the respective outcomes would be:

• Thanos wakes up and actively starts trying to kill them while they try to figure things out. It's unclear if they adapted his full powerset but comics Thanos has got eyebeams which means he can take them at range.
  • Thanos is, like Black Dwarf, reasonably unharmed by being, ah, unarmed and takes them on at range with a view to kill.

So, because Doctor Strange has seen the timelines and knows this information, by giving up the stone he is choosing to die. And he does tell us earlier that he'd let Tony die to save the stone if it came to that which is not a throwaway line and is probably telling us how we're meant to interpret the end of the film. But just because I've seen explanations for this issue that doesn't mean those explanations don't raise others or resolve all of the related ones, consider:

• Thanos says Nebula wasn't that far off killing him so why don't they get her to help them kill Thanos (I mean, she might be under the impression she never came close).
  • Why not sling ring Thanos' head off? (uhh...)

Thanos shouldn't have won. I agree with you. Everything stacks up just right enough to allow Thanos to win. I mean, if Thor had shown up when Scarlet Witch was still conscious, Thanos was done for. (Although to be fair to Thanos I am convinced that as far as he knew Thor died when he blew up the Asgardian ship so it's not like he didn't take measures there.) I just don't think that this ruins the movie.

I've read a lot of IW theories, incidentally, and the only one that doesn't make sense when you think about what they're saying is the "Hulk wasn't scared, he was selfish" one. The other day someone pointed out that a dead Banner doesn't mean a dead Hulk in the MCU, and I guess I can see Hulk's dialogue as petulance but the truth is that this is simply something the film tried to accomplish but failed to achieve.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:44 pm

Forsher wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

The general thinking is that had they managed to pull the Gauntlet off Thanos or Strange used a sling ring to remove it by chopping Thanos' hand off (a la Black Dwarf earlier; which is a bit probably included to remind us that they knew this was an option) the respective outcomes would be:

• Thanos wakes up and actively starts trying to kill them while they try to figure things out. It's unclear if they adapted his full powerset but comics Thanos has got eyebeams which means he can take them at range.
  • Thanos is, like Black Dwarf, reasonably unharmed by being, ah, unarmed and takes them on at range with a view to kill.

So, because Doctor Strange has seen the timelines and knows this information, by giving up the stone he is choosing to die. And he does tell us earlier that he'd let Tony die to save the stone if it came to that which is not a throwaway line and is probably telling us how we're meant to interpret the end of the film. But just because I've seen explanations for this issue that doesn't mean those explanations don't raise others or resolve all of the related ones, consider:

• Thanos says Nebula wasn't that far off killing him so why don't they get her to help them kill Thanos (I mean, she might be under the impression she never came close).

Thanos shouldn't have won. I agree with you. Everything stacks up just right enough to allow Thanos to win. I mean, if Thor had shown up when Scarlet Witch was still conscious, Thanos was done for. (Although to be fair to Thanos I am convinced that as far as he knew Thor died when he blew up the Asgardian ship so it's not like he didn't take measures there.) I just don't think that this ruins the movie.

I've read a lot of IW theories, incidentally, and the only one that doesn't make sense when you think about what they're saying is the "Hulk wasn't scared, he was selfish" one. The other day someone pointed out that a dead Banner doesn't mean a dead Hulk in the MCU, and I guess I can see Hulk's dialogue as petulance but the truth is that this is simply something the film tried to accomplish but failed to achieve.

Here's my problem with that "Strange is choosing to die" bit: Strange knows full well that giving Thanos the stone means the death of half the universe, so he knows that he wouldn't just be choosing to die for himself, but for half the universe. Which is not in his character at all.

This of course is not me saying that you shouldn't enjoy the movie. But this kind of writing did ruin it for me.

I was thinking I was going to come out of this movie, seeing the ending as sort of an inevitable defeat by heroes who did their best and fought hard but still lost. A tragic end, but the way it ended up was me saying "Gaddamn that was really stupid."

That being said, I enjoyed the movie up until about the Thanos turned that fight on Titan around. Then I think things started getting rushed.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:12 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Forsher wrote:

Here's my problem with that "Strange is choosing to die" bit: Strange knows full well that giving Thanos the stone means the death of half the universe, so he knows that he wouldn't just be choosing to die for himself, but for half the universe. Which is not in his character at all.

This of course is not me saying that you shouldn't enjoy the movie. But this kind of writing did ruin it for me.

I was thinking I was going to come out of this movie, seeing the ending as sort of an inevitable defeat by heroes who did their best and fought hard but still lost. A tragic end, but the way it ended up was me saying "Gaddamn that was really stupid."

That being said, I enjoyed the movie up until about the Thanos turned that fight on Titan around. Then I think things started getting rushed.

I had assumed Strange's choices were explained by his earlier actions. Before Thanos arrived he looked into the future using the Time stone to see in which future they would win. He found only one.

Then before dying, he says to Stark something along the lines of "It was the only way".

My assumption, and many others I believe is that for whatever reason, the actions they needed to take in order to "win" this fight (by which I mean the conflict as a whole, not just that particular dusts up) included everything that happened after Strange saw the "correct" future
Last edited by Alvecia on Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction