NATION

PASSWORD

MCU/Superhero Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Opinion on Across the Spider-Verse

Haven’t Seen It
37%
0 Stars
2%
1 Star
2%
2 Stars
2%
3 Stars
10%
4 Stars
49%

Total votes : 63

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:56 am

Why not someone from the Dora Milaj though?
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:40 am

HC Eredivisie wrote:Why not someone from the Dora Milaj though?

It's because it's not canon I believe besides if they do a line of secession then Shuri would be the Black Panther or she and M'Baku could fight for the throne
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:03 am

Who Ruled Wakanda Between Infinity War & Endgame? We know Shuri got dusted, we know M'Baku and Okoye survived.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:30 am

Hirota wrote:Who Ruled Wakanda Between Infinity War & Endgame? We know Shuri got dusted, we know M'Baku and Okoye survived.

it was T'Challa's Mother who ruled until he returned besides she was the only member of the royal family to still be living for those 5 years in between the IW & EG
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:07 am

Gig em Aggies wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:Why not someone from the Dora Milaj though?

It's because it's not canon I believe besides if they do a line of secession then Shuri would be the Black Panther or she and M'Baku could fight for the throne

Everybody can fight for the throne though, if they want to.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.

25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:35 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Gig em Aggies wrote:It's because it's not canon I believe besides if they do a line of secession then Shuri would be the Black Panther or she and M'Baku could fight for the throne

Everybody can fight for the throne though, if they want to.

I think you have to have royal blood. Which for the most advanced nation on Earth they have a really antiquated organization of government. We talk a lot about how Killmonger had a bit of a point, but M'Baku might have been on to something as well...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:30 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:Everybody can fight for the throne though, if they want to.

I think you have to have royal blood. Which for the most advanced nation on Earth they have a really antiquated organization of government. We talk a lot about how Killmonger had a bit of a point, but M'Baku might have been on to something as well...

Ooh, M'Baku as the new Panther. There's an idea.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:38 am

HC Eredivisie wrote:Everybody can fight for the throne though, if they want to.

Then the other tribes also have a royal line or would their leaders be considered royalty? Since M'Baku was allowed to challenge T'Challa.

25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:05 am

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:I think you have to have royal blood. Which for the most advanced nation on Earth they have a really antiquated organization of government. We talk a lot about how Killmonger had a bit of a point, but M'Baku might have been on to something as well...

Then the other tribes also have a royal line or would their leaders be considered royalty? Since M'Baku was allowed to challenge T'Challa.

Well they dont have a royal lineage they just issue challenges to the throne through legal measure of Wakanda just like what Warmonger did in Black Panther.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:19 am

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:I think you have to have royal blood. Which for the most advanced nation on Earth they have a really antiquated organization of government. We talk a lot about how Killmonger had a bit of a point, but M'Baku might have been on to something as well...

It seems to be some kind of Great House quasi-elective monarchy, except instead of that dickish American House X (it's the House of X, Christ or, alternatively, the X's or [term derived from X]s) they're called tribes.

In any case, an idea I saw for a recast was to use a multiversal and older T'Challa with an explicitly different lifestory to explain why this T'Challa would form the Illuminati. I think the specific idea was that Killmonger was raised in Wakanda as a family member but unlike M'Baku he did not yield during the fight, so T'Challa killed him.

I'm honestly not sure if they would eventually have ended up doing the Incursions/Time Runs Out in a world where Chadwick Boseman wasn't ill/survived. When it comes to T'Challa specifically... I think the big moment was in the Great Society arc and that it was kind of adapted in the BP we've already got. I mean, compare this & this to "it is hard to be a good man and a king" & "you were wrong, all of you". So, in that context, would MCU!T'Challa really have formed the Illuminati? I know, I know... he'd have had some films to put some moral mileage on and probably also have seen Wakanda get half-wiped out by Namor, but even so. But a War Doctor-esque T'Challa with a mysterious life?

Maybe instead of T'Challa finding Black Swan practically by chance in the jungle of Wakanda, maybe Illuminati!T'Challa chases after her, the last survivor of a world and an Illuminati that's already lost. And maybe he decides to try and save the new universe he finds himself in... sure that this time he knows everything there is to know about Black Swan and her agenda (but, of course, he is wrong). So off he goes to try and find the members of his old Illuminati... Reed Richards, Black Bolt, Maximus, Hank McCoy (who could even be back doored... introduced to the MCU as relevant players by this film and T'Challa's multiversal knowledge) and Stephen Strange (Tony, of course, is dead).

And then in the Black Panther branded films... Shuri is the Black Panther (maybe in the white suit, maybe not) and the Queen (regnant) of Wakanda, who keeps a secret from her mother, Nakia and M'Baku, i.e. that there is an older version of T'Challa in the City of the Dead. This secret comes out eventually and M'Baku (and maybe also Nakia) lose(s) faith in Shuri's leadership...
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:11 am

HC Eredivisie wrote:

Yeah, members of the other tribes have their own royalty. Because they were a coalition of tribes to form Wakanda. The Panther tribe ended up on top but set up a system where the other tribes could challenge, but generally only the Jabari do.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:15 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:Then the other tribes also have a royal line or would their leaders be considered royalty? Since M'Baku was allowed to challenge T'Challa.

Yeah, members of the other tribes have their own royalty. Because they were a coalition of tribes to form Wakanda. The Panther tribe ended up on top but set up a system where the other tribes could challenge, but generally only the Jabari do.

Personally, I got the implication that only the Jabari really function as completely separate tribes, whereas the rest are usually more symbolic holdovers than actual tribes.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:35 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Yeah, members of the other tribes have their own royalty. Because they were a coalition of tribes to form Wakanda. The Panther tribe ended up on top but set up a system where the other tribes could challenge, but generally only the Jabari do.

Personally, I got the implication that only the Jabari really function as completely separate tribes, whereas the rest are usually more symbolic holdovers than actual tribes.

Well, they all have members who sit on the ruling council and each of them seem to have a say in things. The Merchant Tribe representative is the one who asks N’Jadaka his name.

EDIT: Also, they were all asked if they would challenge for the throne during the ceremony.
Last edited by Cannot think of a name on Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:32 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:Personally, I got the implication that only the Jabari really function as completely separate tribes, whereas the rest are usually more symbolic holdovers than actual tribes.

Well, they all have members who sit on the ruling council and each of them seem to have a say in things. The Merchant Tribe representative is the one who asks N’Jadaka his name.

EDIT: Also, they were all asked if they would challenge for the throne during the ceremony.

I figured they'd sent someone who could be a ruler, not necessarily royalty.

25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:34 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Well, they all have members who sit on the ruling council and each of them seem to have a say in things. The Merchant Tribe representative is the one who asks N’Jadaka his name.

I figured they'd sent someone who could be a ruler, not necessarily royalty.

I imagine each tribe determines eligibility their own way. M’Baku sent himself.

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:13 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:I figured they'd sent someone who could be a ruler, not necessarily royalty.

I imagine each tribe determines eligibility their own way. M’Baku sent himself.

Black Panther 2: Civil War or what we reference all the time in the Gun Control thread Black Panther 2: Electric Boogaloo

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:28 pm

Gig em Aggies wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:I imagine each tribe determines eligibility their own way. M’Baku sent himself.

Black Panther 2: Civil War or what we reference all the time in the Gun Control thread Black Panther 2: Electric Boogaloo

...what?

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:39 pm

Gig em Aggies wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:I imagine each tribe determines eligibility their own way. M’Baku sent himself.

I really wish internet edgelords hadn't sullied the mastery that is Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo or the fine name of Boogaloo Shrimp.

If you have Amazon Prime (I think that's where it is) find that documentary on Boogaloo Shrimp and shed a tear at all the white garbage posters dragging his name around in their weird Civil War fantasies.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:48 pm

There is now a She Hulk.
On the casting side, today it’s being reported that the upcoming Disney+ series She-Hulk has confirmed its Jade Giantess: Tatiana Maslany, the Emmy-winning Canadian actress best known for her character(s) in Orphan Black.

If you were wondering what the tone of the series will be...silly. The show is going to be silly:
As of now, She-Hulk will debut on the streaming service sometime in 2022 – and we hope that’s far enough down the line that it won’t be pushed. Kat Coiro (The Mick, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia) recently signed on to direct the pilot and several episodes, while Jessica Gao (Rick and Morty) will head up the writers room. With these ladies’ comedy roots, we’re hoping the show will have a humorous cutting edge like the comic series.

As noted, the comic book is satirical most of the time anyway, so that's not really a surprise.

Also, if this is true then Kang the Conqueror is likely not the monster at the end of the book.
We also got more big casting news earlier this week: Jonathan Majors, the recent breakout star of The Last Black Man in San Francisco, Da 5 Bloods, and Lovecraft Country, is set to appear as a villain in the upcoming Ant-Man 3, which is scheduled to debut in 2022 as of right now. His character wasn’t confirmed, but many are speculating that he’ll play Kang the Conqueror, one of Stan and Jack Kirby’s classic villains.

This makes a degree of sense, Lang opened the door to time travel and could end up on Kang's radar. I don't know how a pair of shrinky dinks brings down an Avengers villain by themselves but I'm sure they'll work it out.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:00 am

Can't say I'm jazzed about that casting. I never liked Orphan Black.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:43 am

Ameriganastan wrote:Can't say I'm jazzed about that casting. I never liked Orphan Black.

Who could have called that...

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:16 am

If i had a quid for every time Ameri disliked something on this website i would be sorted for take outs for a few months i reckon.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:17 am

Is there something more concrete to the speculation about Kang than unnamed people?

Edit: Found something, though it still only says "sources"
Last edited by Lord Dominator on Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:12 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:If i had a quid for every time Ameri disliked something on this website i would be sorted for take outs for a few months i reckon.

There was a post I read somewhere in A&F that ran to the effect of "Ameri doesn't even like the things he likes". I think it was a Doctor Who thread.

Lord Dominator wrote:Is there something more concrete to the speculation about Kang than unnamed people?

Edit: Found something, though it still only says "sources"

There is not.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:05 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Can't say I'm jazzed about that casting. I never liked Orphan Black.

Who could have called that...

The Huskar Social Union wrote:If i had a quid for every time Ameri disliked something on this website i would be sorted for take outs for a few months i reckon.

Forsher wrote:There was a post I read somewhere in A&F that ran to the effect of "Ameri doesn't even like the things he likes". I think it was a Doctor Who thread.

All 3 of you can bite me.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction