NATION

PASSWORD

MCU/Superhero Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Opinion on Across the Spider-Verse

Haven’t Seen It
37%
0 Stars
2%
1 Star
2%
2 Stars
2%
3 Stars
10%
4 Stars
49%

Total votes : 63

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:54 pm

Oh fuck I totally forgot about Logan.

Best X-Men movie of all time, that one. Although it didn't really fit in with the First Class -> Apocalypse -> Dark Phoenix timeline so I usually think of those as separate.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:56 pm

The X-Men film timeline is weird. If you take all the movies at face value, Wolverine’s life is pretty complete. We see his origins in the first Wolverine movie, we see him as an X-Man, and then we see his end in Logan.

Problem is that these movies only sort of fit together. I just take the movies in one by one. It’s pointless to pretend everything was planned out.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:59 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:The X-Men film timeline is weird. If you take all the movies at face value, Wolverine’s life is pretty complete. We see his origins in the first Wolverine movie, we see him as an X-Man, and then we see his end in Logan.

Problem is that these movies only sort of fit together. I just take the movies in one by one. It’s pointless to pretend everything was planned out.

You also see Jean Grey go all Dark Phoenix, then mysteriously come back to life twenty years later and go all Dark Phoenix again and nobody seems to be phased by this or see it coming the second time, even the people who were around the first time.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:07 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:The X-Men film timeline is weird. If you take all the movies at face value, Wolverine’s life is pretty complete. We see his origins in the first Wolverine movie, we see him as an X-Man, and then we see his end in Logan.

Exactly the original X-men movies were loosely tied together, they only tried to make a timeline after the MCU blew up wich blew up in there face killing the X-men franchise.
I do hope Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart reprise there roles when Disney does the MCU X-men. They are those characters and can't be replaced to easily.
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:28 pm

Christian Confederation wrote:

Exactly the original X-men movies were loosely tied together, they only tried to make a timeline after the MCU blew up wich blew up in there face killing the X-men franchise.
I do hope Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart reprise there roles when Disney does the MCU X-men. They are those characters and can't be replaced to easily.

I see no reason not to use different actors actually, as having different people in those roles playing different interpetations of those characters is rather superior to having those same actors doing a different interpetation for precisely the reason you said.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:34 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Christian Confederation wrote:Exactly the original X-men movies were loosely tied together, they only tried to make a timeline after the MCU blew up wich blew up in there face killing the X-men franchise.

I see no reason not to use different actors actually, as having different people in those roles playing different interpetations of those characters is rather superior to having those same actors doing a different interpetation for precisely the reason you said.

Also, Hugh Jackman said he was done with the X-Men and I'm pretty sure Patrick Stewart is too old to keep doing action movies, even if he was in a wheelchair for most of it.

Hell, in STP they had to use stunt doubles for him to do things like running up the stairs or jumping off a 3 foot high ledge.
Last edited by New haven america on Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Christian Confederation
Senator

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:45 pm

New haven america wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:I see no reason not to use different actors actually, as having different people in those roles playing different interpetations of those characters is rather superior to having those same actors doing a different interpetation for precisely the reason you said.

Also, Hugh Jackman said he was done with the X-Men and I'm pretty sure Patrick Stewart is too old to keep doing action movies, even if he was in a wheelchair for most of it.

Hell, in STP they had to use stunt doubles for him to do things like running up the stairs or jumping off a 3 foot ledge.

Your right, but if they ever do multiverse stuff they could come back for a cameo or something
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:28 pm

New haven america wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:I see no reason not to use different actors actually, as having different people in those roles playing different interpetations of those characters is rather superior to having those same actors doing a different interpetation for precisely the reason you said.

Hell, in STP they had to use stunt doubles for him to do things like running up the stairs or jumping off a 3 foot high ledge.

Well, the dude is almost 80. Can't expect him to get around like he did during TNG anymore.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:10 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
New haven america wrote:Also, Hugh Jackman said he was done with the X-Men and I'm pretty sure Patrick Stewart is too old to keep doing action movies, even if he was in a wheelchair for most of it.

Well, the dude is almost 80. Can't expect him to get around like he did during TNG anymore.

It's hard to tell because the dude looks exactly like he did back in Excalibur.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010

Postby Myrensis » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:03 pm

Cisairse wrote:Oh fuck I totally forgot about Logan.

Best X-Men movie of all time, that one. Although it didn't really fit in with the First Class -> Apocalypse -> Dark Phoenix timeline so I usually think of those as separate.

I never really liked the X-Men movies because it annoyed me how much they focused on Wolverine...but I agree that Logan was easily the best of them.

Presumably because it was an actual narrative/story focused on him, rather than ostensibly being an 'X-Men' movie that ended up being 'WOLVERINE and some other people do a thing'.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:41 am

Myrensis wrote:

I never really liked the X-Men movies because it annoyed me how much they focused on Wolverine...but I agree that Logan was easily the best of them.

Presumably because it was an actual narrative/story focused on him, rather than ostensibly being an 'X-Men' movie that ended up being 'WOLVERINE and some other people do a thing'.

I'm not sure I agree with this characterisation. Yes, Wolverine is the POV character but these films are all about Charles and Magneto. Which is why Logan feels different... in the other films he's basically Scooby-Doo... you notice him more but he doesn't really do anything more notable than anyone else in Mystery Inc. (except in the solo movies).

Look, I know lots of people like Doctor Doom but Magneto is probably the single most compelling supervillain ever (incl. DC's who are honestly more "iconic" than "actually interesting" because there's a big difference) so I can see why they focussed on Magneto so much, but there was nothing but Magneto. Even when they tried to do something else (e.g. Apocalypse and both Dark Phoenixes) it was really just Magneto & Charles (and sometimes, Mystique... I mean, wtf!?). Given this, I don't know why people talk about "too much Wolverine"... they did hardly any of his famous storylines or supporting characters.

That being said, Fox-Men's Wolverine does get a good "full circle" storyline... again, in contrast, to Charles and Xavier who seem to be constantly on the verge of telling a story only for the next film to come out.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:55 pm

Myrensis wrote:

It's a nice post-western except it focuses around superheroes instead of cowboys. By far the movie that has offered the most in terms of artistic value if you go for that sorta thing.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:20 am

Presuming all the remaining shooting was done and that there aren't any needed reshoots (HA!) I wonder if WandaVision will get pushed up again just to fill the need for content. I have doubts. But also, that Disney+ subscription feels kind of weighty without something to watch (I guess I should be watching Clone Wars. But I'm not caught up on old Clone Wars).
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:16 am

It has 104 episodes of Ducktales though, and I mean the good old show, not the new one.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:56 am

Agent Carter is coming back for the last season of Agents Of Shield.

Now I really gotta catch up on that show.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:09 pm

one thing I do know is that the people in charge of Disney and the MCU aren't stupid who in there right mind would think that Disney would take movie making ideas from Peta of all people. Thor going Vegan my ass, that would be like when Star Trek made Sulu gay in Star trek beyond when even the OG Sulu himself George Takei said that wasn't needed.

https://movieweb.com/thor-4-vegan-peta/
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:15 am

Gig em Aggies wrote:one thing I do know is that the people in charge of Disney and the MCU aren't stupid who in there right mind would think that Disney would take movie making ideas from Peta of all people. Thor going Vegan my ass, that would be like when Star Trek made Sulu gay in Star trek beyond when even the OG Sulu himself George Takei said that wasn't needed.

No, do it make but make it the reason he becomes unworthy to wield Mjolnir.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:59 am

Gig em Aggies wrote:one thing I do know is that the people in charge of Disney and the MCU aren't stupid who in there right mind would think that Disney would take movie making ideas from Peta of all people. Thor going Vegan my ass, that would be like when Star Trek made Sulu gay in Star trek beyond when even the OG Sulu himself George Takei said that wasn't needed.

Are we really taking PETA's rantings seriously?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:30 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:It has 104 episodes of Ducktales though, and I mean the good old show, not the new one.

The new series is good though.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:34 pm

New haven america wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:It has 104 episodes of Ducktales though, and I mean the good old show, not the new one.

The new series is good though.

It would be good if every goddamn episode wasn't focused on Webby. I gave up before season 1 was over cause of her.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:44 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
New haven america wrote:The new series is good though.

It would be good if every goddamn episode wasn't focused on Webby. I gave up before season 1 was over cause of her.

That's nice Ameri.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Sarderia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:41 am

Seriously Disney. Are they not done yet alienating their largest fanbase? I doubt anyone in there even watch the MCU movies. After Marvel Comics got bombed very low because of Snowflake and Safespace, and then this. People just want to watch movies, that's all. Being vegan is good - I liked the idea of vegan burgers and even got to taste one and it's quite delicious. But there's no need to force every one of your life choices to the greater audience. No one cares about 1,000 gallons of water, 20 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions, and 30 square feet of forest Thor got to save by adopting a plant-based diet, especially if they're going to make this a plot device for Thor being fit again - people just wanted to watch their beloved superhero movie. That is disrespectful even to vegans.
Takkan Melayu Hilang Di Dunia

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:55 am

Sarderia wrote:

Seriously Disney. Are they not done yet alienating their largest fanbase? I doubt anyone in there even watch the MCU movies. After Marvel Comics got bombed very low because of Snowflake and Safespace, and then this. People just want to watch movies, that's all. Being vegan is good - I liked the idea of vegan burgers and even got to taste one and it's quite delicious. But there's no need to force every one of your life choices to the greater audience. No one cares about 1,000 gallons of water, 20 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions, and 30 square feet of forest Thor got to save by adopting a plant-based diet, especially if they're going to make this a plot device for Thor being fit again - people just wanted to watch their beloved superhero movie. That is disrespectful even to vegans.

At no point in the relevant article did it say that the vegan thing was something actually happening, just that certain people want it to.

Sarderia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:59 am

Lord Dominator wrote:
Sarderia wrote:Seriously Disney. Are they not done yet alienating their largest fanbase? I doubt anyone in there even watch the MCU movies. After Marvel Comics got bombed very low because of Snowflake and Safespace, and then this. People just want to watch movies, that's all. Being vegan is good - I liked the idea of vegan burgers and even got to taste one and it's quite delicious. But there's no need to force every one of your life choices to the greater audience. No one cares about 1,000 gallons of water, 20 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions, and 30 square feet of forest Thor got to save by adopting a plant-based diet, especially if they're going to make this a plot device for Thor being fit again - people just wanted to watch their beloved superhero movie. That is disrespectful even to vegans.

At no point in the relevant article did it say that the vegan thing was something actually happening, just that certain people want it to.

Well you're right. I just hope none of this get to Taika Waititi. I'd hate seeing Thor 4 turned out same thing like the New Warriors comic.
Takkan Melayu Hilang Di Dunia

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:33 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
New haven america wrote:The new series is good though.

Holy shit you have beef with fucking Duck Tales.

That is awesome. Never change. Comic Book Guy has less beefs than you.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction