NATION

PASSWORD

MCU/Superhero Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Opinion on Across the Spider-Verse

Haven’t Seen It
37%
0 Stars
2%
1 Star
2%
2 Stars
2%
3 Stars
10%
4 Stars
49%

Total votes : 63

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:48 pm

Gig em Aggies wrote:
New haven america wrote:Manufactured discontent by Disney to make it seem like the movie's totally revolutionary, game-changing, and never been done before (When Wonder Woman had been released 1 year prior), in order to draw buzz for the movie and detract from any real criticism.

You know I'm thinking that MCU fans will count Black Widow as the first true female led film that people didnt ruin over pc crap

Doubt it, someone will have something to say.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:37 pm

Gig em Aggies wrote:
New haven america wrote:Manufactured discontent by Disney to make it seem like the movie's totally revolutionary, game-changing, and never been done before (When Wonder Woman had been released 1 year prior), in order to draw buzz for the movie and detract from any real criticism.

You know I'm thinking that MCU fans will count Black Widow as the first true female led film that people didnt ruin over pc crap

Scarlett Johansson will have an opinion in an interview as the movie nears release. The the angry YouTube videos will try and find their niche.

That was the structure for the Brie Larson hate, at least.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:15 am

Bombadil wrote:
Gig em Aggies wrote:

Doubt it, someone will have something to say.

The current take is:

• why wasn't this film made in 2014 (or whatever earlier year)
  • why was Natasha killed off and then given a movie
  • why did a substantially less popular female character get a movie before Natasha

At the moment this is a fan based critique, but you can easily imagine it evolving into a criticism either of the MCU as a whole or Endgame more specifically. At that point Black Widow, as a film, suddenly becomes a "correction" and hence "PC Crap".

Of course, these are very reasonable points to raise...

The first Galactic Republic wrote:Scarlett Johansson will have an opinion in an interview as the movie nears release. The the angry YouTube videos will try and find their niche.

They're not even well made Youtube videos. There are a lot of Youtubers who make this kind of content (what might be called "nerd stuff") and I find it telling that the ones who make the technically good videos haven't dived head first into "Captain Marvel is terrible".

Thank God Youtube has that "don't show me more stuff like this" button because the algorithm is bad at telling the two apart... all it seems to see is "MCU/nerd stuff".
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:35 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:'We're a long way from Budapest'. :)

But it is. :unsure:

So, he is Taskmaster?

The dude in the armor is Taskmaster.
Yeah, I thought you had some kind of deep realisation about Hawkeye (not) being Taskmaster.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Siornor
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Siornor » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:59 pm

I personally think Captain Marvel is a great movie and Brie Larson is pretty cool.

That being said, I think it's ridiculous to hate on it, but I also think it's ridiculous for Disney to promote it as if it's anything special for women in film. I'm all for people making big money on movies that empower women and for promoting their movie for empowering women. As much as I love the MCU though, it's done a really great job so far of patting itself on the back for showcasing women when in reality it's not doing anything special. (key examples: making bank selling Captain Marvel merchandise and marketing her as the great hero for all women while giving her a useless role in Endgame, simultaneously both under-marketing and writing poor arcs for characters like Black Widow and Gamora who have been much more influential in the cinematic universe thus far, that questionable scene towards the end of Endgame, and Kevin Feige being way too proud of the fact that most of the heroes in the MCU will be female while not actually treating those characters equally to the male characters)
"In the degradation of the great way come benevolence and righteousness.
With the exaltation of learning and prudence comes immense hypocrisy.
The disordered family is full of dutiful children and parents.
The disordered society is full of loyal patriots." -Tao Te Ching

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:27 am

"Maybe you guys can come help us next time..."

Yeah, if both your shows weren't just cancelled :(

re: Runaways and Cloak & Dagger cross over...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:39 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Maybe you guys can come help us next time..."

I'm sure all 3 people who were aware they existed are crushed.

Seriously, who puts a superhero show on Freeform? It's like when Supergirl was on CBS.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Christian Confederation
Senator

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:47 am

Ameriganastan wrote:

Seriously, who puts a superhero show on Freeform? It's like when Supergirl was on CBS.

I saw i picture taken when Agents of Shield and Supergirl were filmed close by and now the two crossing over is playing out in my head.

Anyways I hope they find a way to bring Coulson and the surviving agents of Shield team into the main MCU because I've been binge watching AoS on Netflix and they all have great character arcs.
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:24 am

Ameriganastan wrote:

We can always count on you...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Great Algerstonia
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Algerstonia » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:10 pm

Frankly, I care none about the political/ minority/ gender role stuff when it comes to movies.

I didn't like Captain Marvel because the Kree weren't a good villain at all. Captain Marvel slaughtered them. I want to see the villains put up a good fight too, like in Winter Soldier, Endgame (which was almost ruined by Captain Marvel :p) and The Avengers.

Captain Marvel's also too powerful, not a good idea to bring captain marvel into the Avenger team imo.
Last edited by Great Algerstonia on Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anti: Russia
Pro: Prussia
Resilient Acceleration wrote:After a period of letting this discussion run its course without my involvement due to sheer laziness and a new related NS project, I have returned with an answer and that answer is Israel.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:22 pm

Great Algerstonia wrote:Frankly, I care none about the political/ minority/ gender role stuff when it comes to movies.

I didn't like Captain Marvel because the Skrulls weren't a good villain at all. Captain Marvel slaughtered them. I want to see the villains put up a good fight too, like in Winter Soldier, Endgame (which was almost ruined by Captain Marvel :p) and The Avengers.

Captain Marvel's also too powerful, not a good idea to bring captain marvel into the Avenger team imo.

Well, she's been an Avenger in the comics for... 25 years now?

Kinda late on that front.
Last edited by New haven america on Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:57 pm

I'm unclear which movie you watched with villainous skrulls...

Great Algerstonia
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Algerstonia » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:15 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:I'm unclear which movie you watched with villainous skrulls...

Oops. I intended Kree.
Anti: Russia
Pro: Prussia
Resilient Acceleration wrote:After a period of letting this discussion run its course without my involvement due to sheer laziness and a new related NS project, I have returned with an answer and that answer is Israel.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:23 pm

Great Algerstonia wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:I'm unclear which movie you watched with villainous skrulls...

Oops. I intended Kree.

Lol, that makes a lot more sense :p

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:00 pm

I sometimes get them mixed up as well.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:14 am

Hey. look who I found is some old Law And Order clip.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:53 am

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:34 am

With Christain Bale almost confirmed to be playing a role in the next Thor movie, who is with me and just wants him to play Batman for Thor to fight?
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:53 am

That would be like a minute long, tops.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010

Postby Myrensis » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:39 pm

New haven america wrote:
StupidsRUs wrote:Why do people hate Captain Marvel so much? It's actually a pretty good movie?

Manufactured discontent by Disney to make it seem like the movie's totally revolutionary, game-changing, and never been done before (When Wonder Woman had been released 1 year prior), in order to draw buzz for the movie and detract from any real criticism.

To be fair, that was just Disney capitalizing after Brie Larson said a bunch of dumb shit and got the trolls all riled up.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:46 pm

StupidsRUs wrote:Why do people hate Captain Marvel so much? It's actually a pretty good movie?

It's good, but it isn't great. I saw it twice in theaters and really enjoyed it, but I don't think it really has staying power. Definitely in the bottom half of MCU movies, imo.
There isn't anything wrong with it, but the plot is weak and there's nothing particularly special about it.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:01 am

Cisairse wrote:

It's good, but it isn't great. I saw it twice in theaters and really enjoyed it, but I don't think it really has staying power. Definitely in the bottom half of MCU movies, imo.
There isn't anything wrong with it, but the plot is weak and there's nothing particularly special about it.

This is the vibe from a lot of the Marvel movies, for me at least, these days.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:36 am

Valrifell wrote:
Cisairse wrote:

This is the vibe from a lot of the Marvel movies, for me at least, these days.

Yeah, I agree. I feel like a lot of Phase II and Phase III fell into this trap where they just didn't want to do anything "risky" with the films, so they just...didn't.
Winter Soldier is the only Phase II movie I've ever re-watched, and in my opinion is the best MCU film so far specifically because it was interesting on its own right. Iron Man 3, Age of Ultron, and especially Ant-Man were just...bad movies. I also was not a fan of Homecoming or GotG2, and both of the movies that came between Infinity War and Endgame were completely forgettable.

This makes me sad, because I like Phase I quite a bit, and I also really enjoyed Infinity War and Endgame on their own. I hope that now that Endgame is over, they can relax a little bit on trying to never do anything exciting as to not overshadow the next big film and finally make good movies again.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:05 pm

Is this MCU or not? I am so lost.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:15 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Is this MCU or not? I am so lost.

Well, that's confusing. Cue up the internet speculation machine!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction