NATION

PASSWORD

MCU/Superhero Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Opinion on Across the Spider-Verse

Haven’t Seen It
37%
0 Stars
2%
1 Star
2%
2 Stars
2%
3 Stars
10%
4 Stars
49%

Total votes : 63

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon May 27, 2019 4:33 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:Endgame has ~106 million to go to beat Avatar

They only have to add a whole successful run of a movie to do it.

Which could happen.

Odds are pretty good I think, give it needs to make that globally at least.

The Biggles Syndicate
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Biggles Syndicate » Mon May 27, 2019 7:51 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:In rumor town, Deadpool might appear in Spider-man 3.

That'll be pretty hard to execute given the ratings of their respective films.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon May 27, 2019 8:06 pm

Deadpool can be done PG-13, lol
The jokes are just different, and DP gets to comment on the one allowed use of fuck

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon May 27, 2019 9:38 pm

The Biggles Syndicate wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:In rumor town, Deadpool might appear in Spider-man 3.

That'll be pretty hard to execute given the ratings of their respective films.

Maybe Once Upon a Deadpool was a test run.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Tue May 28, 2019 12:05 am

Lord Dominator wrote:Deadpool can be done PG-13, lol
The jokes are just different, and DP gets to comment on the one allowed use of fuck

Why?

Movie Deadpool isn't really like comics Deadpool. People online seem to have it in their head that Moviepool is the only way the character can work but that's just... wrong.

Not that the two films are that committed to the same brand of humour anyway. Like, I wouldn't show Deadpool 1 to my mother because from memory it's full of stuff she hates and so she'd hate it. She really likes Deadpool 2 though.

That being said, Deadpool is lame without Slapstick living in his head. Melt them together Kevin!
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue May 28, 2019 7:56 am

Into the spiderverse was awesome

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue May 28, 2019 8:34 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Into the spiderverse was awesome

So fucking good. It's coming to Netflix at the end of June. I might just put it on loop.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Tue May 28, 2019 4:14 pm

Has the thread done the movie vs movie ranking game?

Here's the average ranks apparently.

compare Forsher's:

1. Thor: Ragnarok
  2. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  3. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  4. Ant-Man
  5. Iron Man 3
  6. Iron Man
  7. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  8. Captain America: Civil War
  9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  10. The Avengers
  11. Avengers: Endgame
  12. Black Panther
  13. Captain Marvel
  14. Avengers: Infinity War
  15. Guardians of the Galaxy
  16. The Incredible Hulk
  17. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  18. Doctor Strange
  19. Captain America: The First Avenger
  20. Iron Man 2
  21. Thor
  22. Thor: The Dark World
Last edited by Forsher on Tue May 28, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Tue May 28, 2019 4:53 pm

Forsher wrote:Has the thread done the movie vs movie ranking game?

Here's the average ranks apparently.

compare Forsher's:

1. Thor: Ragnarok
  2. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  3. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  4. Ant-Man
  5. Iron Man 3
  6. Iron Man
  7. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  8. Captain America: Civil War
  9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  10. The Avengers
  11. Avengers: Endgame
  12. Black Panther
  13. Captain Marvel
  14. Avengers: Infinity War
  15. Guardians of the Galaxy
  16. The Incredible Hulk
  17. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  18. Doctor Strange
  19. Captain America: The First Avenger
  20. Iron Man 2
  21. Thor
  22. Thor: The Dark World

Just took it and my results were:

1.Avengers: Endgame
2.Avengers: Infinity War
3.Thor: Ragnarok
4.Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
5.Ant-Man
6.Captain America: Civil War
7.The Avengers
8.Avengers: Age of Ultron
9.Doctor Strange
10.Spider-Man: Homecoming
11.Guardians of the Galaxy
12.Ant-Man and the Wasp
13.Captain America: The Winter Soldier
14.Black Panther
15.Iron Man
16.Captain Marvel
17.Captain America: The First Avenger
18.Iron Man 2
19.Iron Man 3
20.Thor
21.Thor: The Dark World
22.The Incredible Hulk
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Platypus Bureaucracy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Platypus Bureaucracy » Tue May 28, 2019 5:20 pm

1. Black Panther
  2. Thor: Ragnarok
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  4. The Avengers
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy
  6. Avengers: Endgame
  7. Avengers: Infinity War
  8. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  9. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  10. Thor
  11. Captain America: The First Avenger
  12. The Incredible Hulk
  13. Iron Man
  14. Doctor Strange
  15. Captain America: Civil War
  16. Captain Marvel
  17. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  18. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  19. Ant-Man
  20. Iron Man 3
  21. Thor: The Dark World
  22. Iron Man 2

Lol, how did The Incredible Hulk end up there? Did the quiz delve deep into my mind and discover my secret crush on Tim Roth or...?
Last edited by Platypus Bureaucracy on Wed May 29, 2019 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Platypus of the non-venomous, egg-laying variety
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:I will never stop being a gay platypus.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:You glorifted ducking wanabe sea pheasant

Platapusses are not rel

Ostroeuropa wrote:"Can we just eat SOME of the rich?"

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue May 28, 2019 5:36 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Inspired by the latest Screen Junkies video, I decided to rank all 22 of these effing things from what I think is worst to best. For the record, I only consider like the bottom 5 out and out bad. Just an FYI.

22. Thor: The Dark World: I mean, what else would it be in last? A sequel to the mediocre Thor solo movie that was somehow even more of a bland, forgettable snoozefest.

21. Thor: Only marginally better than the sequel, but still a dull, forgettable movie.

20. Iron Man 3: AKA, the Pepper Potts movie. Now I actually dig the Mandarin twist unlike a lot of people, but it didn't save it from all that Pepper and that weak ass bad guy.

19. Doctor Strange: Tony Stark's origin story, only the guy is magic. Also, I hate how they fucked with Dormamu's design.

18. Ant Man And The Wasp: Just...meh. Like you could skip all but the last 5 minutes and not be lost on anything in the next movie. Also, Ghost was a lame ass villain. And Walton Goggins was...there.

17. Captain Marvel: I mean I enjoyed it. But my feelings on it soured a little after how ancillary she was in Endgame.

16. Captain America: The First Avenger: One of the better origin stories, but still an origin story. Also, the hamfisted way they offed Bucky. We all knew he was coming back.

15. The Incredible Hulk: This movie gets a bad rap. Yeah, Ruffalo is the way better Hulk. But I still find it an enjoyable movie to revisit.

14. Ant Man: Way better than the sequel was. A fun standalone movie.

13. Iron Man 2: I mean, I will never get all the hate for this movie. Mickey Rourke was awesome, and Sam Rockwell was a crackup. Also, introduction of War Machine.

12. Iron Man: The granddaddy of them all. Still holds up as an awesome standalone movie, even if it did win up launching a whole cinematic universe.

11. Avengers: Infinity War: Great movie, shitty ending.

10. Avengers: Age Of Ultron: Another case of "I don't get the hate". I mean James Spader killed it as Ultron. Quicksilver was kind of pointless, but the rest was good. And the Hulk fight with Iron Man. Awesome.

9. Black Panther: Aside from the dodgy CG of the ending fight, awesome movie.

8. Guardians 1: Fun movie, aside from boring ass Ronan as the villain.

7. Guardians 2: Yes, I liked 2 better than 1. Chalk it up to a love of Kurt Russel, the chemistry being better and the lovely addition of Mantis.

6. Spider-Man: Homecoming: Is Michael Keaton not the best? I mean that car ride to the dance was a killer scene in a fun movie.

5. The Avengers: The movie no one ever thought would happen, but it did and it was awesomely fun.

4. Captain America: Civil War: The airport fight scene alone is enough to warrant it as top 5 for me. That movie was awesome.

3. Thor Ragnarok: Took the crappy Thor movies, and turned them into Asgradians Of The Galaxy. Smartest move they ever pulled.

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier: This thing is just a straight up action flick, and I loved it for that.

1. Avengers: Endgame: Of course. I mean it's a kickass wrap-up to over a decade of movies with the biggest, most baller action scene ever.

My list.

Quiz list.
1.Avengers: Endgame
2.Captain America: Civil War
3.Thor: Ragnarok
4.Captain America: The Winter Soldier
5.Avengers: Infinity War
6.The Avengers
7.Avengers: Age of Ultron
8.Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
9.Spider-Man: Homecoming
10.Guardians of the Galaxy
11.Black Panther
12.Iron Man
13.Iron Man 2
14.Ant-Man
15.Captain Marvel
16.Captain America: The First Avenger
17.The Incredible Hulk
18.Doctor Strange
19.Ant-Man and the Wasp
20.Iron Man 3
21.Thor
22.Thor: The Dark World
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Tue May 28, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Tue May 28, 2019 7:49 pm

Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:
[spoiler]
  1. Black Panther
  4. The Avengers
  10. Thor
  12. The Incredible Hulk
  13. Iron Man
  14. Doctor Strange
  16. Captain Marvel
  17. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  19. Ant-Man
  20. Iron Man 3
  22. Iron Man 2

Lol, how did The Incredible Hulk end up there? Did the quiz delve deep into my mind and discover my secret crush on Tim Roth or...?[/spoiler]

Maybe it lied to you... no?

Honestly, I've done this before (after Black Panther and before Infinity War?? maybe after AMatW) and I'm not entirely convinced of its methodological soundness. I think the idea is that the pairwise comparisons should lead to a consistent result (transitive preferences). Firstly, that's an interesting assumption (transitivity is required for rational preferences). And secondly I was forcing myself to pretend that I don't want to rewatch CM and Endgame more than others since I've only seem them once each. This was meant to distort results to avoid those two "falsely" ending up at the top but did it distort them appropriately (also, preferences are probably contextual).

That being said, holistic ranking (e.g. what I did when we were doing rankings last time) is also methodologically suspect. Is it really true that people know themselves best (consumer sovereignty... another classic assumption in neoclassical economics)? That is, they can look at a ranking and think "this looks wrong" and therefore it is wrong?

I'm also sceptical of rating ranking (e.g. IMDB or Metacritic's best/worst lists) because of similar issues to the above. If preferences are contextual, then the value of the ratings from different periods of time is dubious and what's the most fair way of doing this? Rating all films in one's normal context? Rating each film from their best context? And if consumers are sovereign (it's a defensible idea) then shouldn't holistic ranking be better than this? And what about the role of expectations?

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue May 28, 2019 8:05 pm

Results skewed by me taking the question seriously, so I'd rather watch right now one I haven't seen in a while or maybe only watched once like the first two Thor movies or Age of Ultron or etc.
Spider-Man: Homecoming
The Avengers
Avengers: Endgame
Black Panther
Captain America: Civil War
Captain America: The First Avenger
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers: Infinity War
Captain Marvel
Ant-Man
Thor
Thor: The Dark World
Iron Man
Iron Man 3
Doctor Strange
Thor: Ragnarok
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Tue May 28, 2019 8:26 pm

Forsher wrote:
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:
[spoiler]
  1. Black Panther
  4. The Avengers
  10. Thor
  12. The Incredible Hulk
  13. Iron Man
  14. Doctor Strange
  16. Captain Marvel
  17. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  19. Ant-Man
  20. Iron Man 3
  22. Iron Man 2

Lol, how did The Incredible Hulk end up there? Did the quiz delve deep into my mind and discover my secret crush on Tim Roth or...?[/spoiler]

Maybe it lied to you... no?

Honestly, I've done this before (after Black Panther and before Infinity War?? maybe after AMatW) and I'm not entirely convinced of its methodological soundness. I think the idea is that the pairwise comparisons should lead to a consistent result (transitive preferences). Firstly, that's an interesting assumption (transitivity is required for rational preferences). And secondly I was forcing myself to pretend that I don't want to rewatch CM and Endgame more than others since I've only seem them once each. This was meant to distort results to avoid those two "falsely" ending up at the top but did it distort them appropriately (also, preferences are probably contextual).

That being said, holistic ranking (e.g. what I did when we were doing rankings last time) is also methodologically suspect. Is it really true that people know themselves best (consumer sovereignty... another classic assumption in neoclassical economics)? That is, they can look at a ranking and think "this looks wrong" and therefore it is wrong?

I'm also sceptical of rating ranking (e.g. IMDB or Metacritic's best/worst lists) because of similar issues to the above. If preferences are contextual, then the value of the ratings from different periods of time is dubious and what's the most fair way of doing this? Rating all films in one's normal context? Rating each film from their best context? And if consumers are sovereign (it's a defensible idea) then shouldn't holistic ranking be better than this? And what about the role of expectations?

Regardless of an individual level, the average ranking seems relatively decent to me, I might disagree personally with a few of the rankings but overall it's not too bad a ranking.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Pasong Tirad
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Pasong Tirad » Tue May 28, 2019 9:34 pm

Oooh I like this one.

Black Panther
Captain Marvel
The Avengers
Ant-Man
Iron Man
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Doctor Strange
Iron Man 3
Iron Man 2
Thor
The Incredible Hulk

It is by far one of the best movies I have ever seen. The soundtrack was on loop for me for the first few months after watching it, and Miles jumping/rising off the buildings is my current wallpaper, and I like watching it from time to time. It's just so good.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue May 28, 2019 11:02 pm

Pasong Tirad wrote:Oooh I like this one.

Black Panther
Captain Marvel
The Avengers
Ant-Man
Iron Man
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Doctor Strange
Iron Man 3
Iron Man 2
Thor
The Incredible Hulk

It is by far one of the best movies I have ever seen. The soundtrack was on loop for me for the first few months after watching it, and Miles jumping/rising off the buildings is my current wallpaper, and I like watching it from time to time. It's just so good.

That scene off the building is amazing.

Pasong Tirad
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Pasong Tirad » Tue May 28, 2019 11:14 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Pasong Tirad wrote:It is by far one of the best movies I have ever seen. The soundtrack was on loop for me for the first few months after watching it, and Miles jumping/rising off the buildings is my current wallpaper, and I like watching it from time to time. It's just so good.

That scene off the building is amazing.

He's not falling. He's rising.

So good.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Tue May 28, 2019 11:35 pm

The Avengers
Doctor Strange
Iron Man
Thor
Iron Man 2
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant-Man
Iron Man 3
The Incredible Hulk
Captain Marvel
Black Panther
Iron Man should be higher up, Captain Marvel, Dr Strange and Ant-man should also be a bit higher up. All Avenger movies, Iron Man and Civil War would be my top 5.
Last edited by HC Eredivisie on Wed May 29, 2019 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:13 am

Endgame only needs 75 million more to become the highest grossing movie. That's like three quarters of what the entire DCEU made.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.

25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:58 pm

Cloak & Dagger is the best MCU show you're not watching. I loved season 2 which included both Mayhem and D'Spayre. A little goofy in its absolute sincerity in incorporating Voudon mythology (not really part of the original), but works in the whole. It does that nodding wink where it kind of makes fun of its origins (at one point they play an 80s video game in Cloak's dimension that's a Double Dragon version of their comic book origin where they joke about 'radioactive heroin') but it's handled well. Cloak even gets his cloak, but not all the time. Dagger got the 'dagger' theme at the end of season 2. They tie in to the Netflix shows which they kind of match for tone. There are name drops to Luke Cage and the other Defenders. I really dig it. Streams on Hulu now.

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:42 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:Endgame only needs 75 million more to become the highest grossing movie. That's like three quarters of what the entire DCEU made.

To be fair, I think it makes more sense to compare averages as opposed to wholes considering the DCEU has produced far less movies then the MCU.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:44 pm

I don't see it happening. The summer movie season is coming and Endgame eventually has to go to make room.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:28 pm

The main hope I think remains in the foreign markets, but Mojo has a weird update schedule for those.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:05 am

Fedel wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:Endgame only needs 75 million more to become the highest grossing movie. That's like three quarters of what the entire DCEU made.

To be fair, I think it makes more sense to compare averages as opposed to wholes considering the DCEU has produced far less movies then the MCU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_h ... ilm_series
The MCU is at a 970 million average and DCEU is at 754 million. Meanwhile Captain America has a 746 million average, Iron Man is at 807, Spider-Man at 760 (that's for all Spider-Man movies) and only the Avenger movies have an average of 1.9 billion.

Ameriganastan wrote:I don't see it happening. The summer movie season is coming and Endgame eventually has to go to make room.
Well, Captain Marvel and Aquaman are still running somewhere apparantly.

Lord Dominator wrote:The main hope I think remains in the foreign markets, but Mojo has a weird update schedule for those.
Or they only receive those numbers randomly, I don't think the Ugandan cinema ticket sales are regularly updated. :p

25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Reru Tanda
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Reru Tanda » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:34 am

*snap*
Minecraft is better than Fortnite.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction