NATION

PASSWORD

MCU/Superhero Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Opinion on Across the Spider-Verse

Haven’t Seen It
37%
0 Stars
2%
1 Star
2%
2 Stars
2%
3 Stars
10%
4 Stars
49%

Total votes : 63

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:19 am

Eahland wrote:
Christian Confederation wrote:So Doctor Strange...
Scarlett Witch didn't die at end right?

No body, no death.

Hell, it's a superhero show. Even if there's a body, that's no guarantee of death.

I have seen very few people actually taking the death as having happened - there’s not even “didn’t die” AUs for my fanfic, just a complete disbelief that she did at all.

I would observe that there’s reasonably foreshadowing if so - Strange dropped a roof and a river on the other Wanda that got possessed, and that did nothing.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:13 am

Lord Dominator wrote:
Eahland wrote:
No body, no death.

Hell, it's a superhero show. Even if there's a body, that's no guarantee of death.

I have seen very few people actually taking the death as having happened - there’s not even “didn’t die” AUs for my fanfic, just a complete disbelief that she did at all.

I would observe that there’s reasonably foreshadowing if so - Strange dropped a roof and a river on the other Wanda that got possessed, and that did nothing.

Is she Peter Parker's uncle?

If not, then death is barely an inconvenience.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:17 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Eahland wrote:
No body, no death.

I would take it as "she's dead, unless they can think of something else to use her in".
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:26 pm

Forsher wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:

I would take it as "she's dead, unless they can think of something else to use her in".

Sure, make the reasonable assumption :p

Kiddian States
Envoy

Founded: Dec 15, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Kiddian States » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:55 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:

You could say that not dying is super easy, barely an inconvenience
-Kiddian
Flag Designer
Pop Culture Connoisseur
————————————————————
Join Suns Reach! A fun community with quality roleplaying!

Christian Confederation
Senator

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:01 am

Kiddian States wrote:

I still can't figure out who has died more Loki or agent Coulson
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:21 am

Christian Confederation wrote:
Kiddian States wrote:You could say that not dying is super easy, barely an inconvenience

Coulson died twice...
was resurrected one time and then brought back as an LMD after having been (largely unintentionally) impersonated by an interdimensional entity, which also died.

Loki's only died once, unless you count the Lokis that died in E5 of Loki.

The actual winner for not staying dead in the MCU would be Bruce. He's died once on screen (Ragnarok), references having committed suicide once (The Avengers) and then is implied to have died in the initial incident by Tony (also The Avengers). Plus, Ragnarok would suggest that when he jumped out of the helicopter in The Incredible Hulk he died then, too. However, I haven't seen that for some time so...

Kiddian States wrote:

I know what you're referencing but strictly speaking, comics characters die very easily... it's just that they don't stay dead. There's this one issue of The Incredible Hercules where Hercules and Amadeus end up in an afterlife and it's just filled with (mostly?) villains gambling their way back to the land of the living. In the comics, resurrection is a spin of a roulette wheel away.
Last edited by Forsher on Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:19 pm

Forsher wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:

Young Avengers: The Children’s Crusade

:p

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:15 pm

Christian Confederation wrote:
Kiddian States wrote:You could say that not dying is super easy, barely an inconvenience

Trying to do it off the top of my head:
Loki dies by:
- Falling into space from the rainbow bridge
- 'sacrificing' himself against the Dark Elves.
- Choked out by Thanos
- Whatever the TVA called it when they zapped someone
(Technically you can add about a dozen though if you count variant Loki being sent to the void because then the variants in the clubhouse died.)

Coulson dies by:
- Being stabbed by Loki
- Sacrificing himself to Ghost Rider? There was something in the deal to take on the Spirit of Vengeance that meant he eventually died.
- Then his life model decoy died as well, right? Ugh, this is spotty, there was a lot of shit happening in that show.
- Alternate universe bad guy Coulson dies.

Well, my Coulson counter is spotty at best, but if it's right it's a push.

This one says 6.
Last edited by Cannot think of a name on Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Nova Catania
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Catania » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:06 pm

Oh, not dying is tight!

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:13 pm

Nova Catania wrote:

Oh, not dying is tight!

We are a cultured group

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:19 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Forsher wrote:

I was thinking about this because WandaVision set up the idea that Wanda would be trying to find her own kids rather than kidnapping another Wanda's. Something would need to be done with that plotline, first, but who would do it?

Kiddian States
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kiddian States » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:22 pm

Forsher wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:

I was thinking about this because WandaVision set up the idea that Wanda would be trying to find her own kids rather than kidnapping another Wanda's. Something would need to be done with that plotline, first, but who would do it?

I mean, she technically looked for her kids…in a very ill-thought out and villainous way
-Kiddian
Flag Designer
Pop Culture Connoisseur
————————————————————

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:30 pm

Kiddian States wrote:
Forsher wrote:

I mean, she technically looked for her kids…in a very ill-thought out and villainous way

That's the thing, though. It's like Ragnarok -> IW with Hulk and Loki. You've got the basic plot events which are the same, but the meaning is fundamentally incompatible.

I would assume, though, that Wanda was initially looking for her kids but couldn't succeed, so just went to the kidnapping plan. Or I'm misremembering WandaVision's ending, which is possible (unlike Ragnarok, I have only seen WandaVision once).

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:33 pm

Kiddian States wrote:
Forsher wrote:

I dunno, kinda seems like a 'snyder cut' kind of complaint. We saw that she had the Darkhold and she went looking for her kids by the time we see her again she's going scorched earth to exit the reality where she has known nothing but pain and heartache and go to one where her kids were real. She looked for her kids via the Darkhold and this is what she found. Do we really need a handholding scene where she makes the decision that she can't recreate her kids but via the multiverse she can do the next best thing? I kind of hate this instinct that audiences are incapable of filling in the gaps or even worse that not documenting every single step is 'bad writing'. It's the Cinema Sins/Pitch Meeting effect where people have taken a perfectly fun exercise and mistaken it for actual criticism.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:37 pm

Kiddian States wrote:

I dunno, kinda seems like a 'snyder cut' kind of complaint. We saw that she had the Darkhold and she went looking for her kids by the time we see her again she's going scorched earth to exit the reality where she has known nothing but pain and heartache and go to one where her kids were real. She looked for her kids via the Darkhold and this is what she found. Do we really need a handholding scene where she makes the decision that she can't recreate her kids but via the multiverse she can do the next best thing? I kind of hate this instinct that audiences are incapable of filling in the gaps or even worse that not documenting every single step is 'bad writing'. It's the Cinema Sins/Pitch Meeting effect where people have taken a perfectly fun exercise and mistaken it for actual criticism.

Honestly, if you're not going to read what I say you don't get TO TALK about what I'm saying.

Get fucked.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go report myself. Prick.

You also misread that, by the way, and I suspect the reasons for the misreading are that you don't know what Children's Crusade is.

I'm saying that WandaVision suggests Wanda's actual kids from WandaVision are still out there and that those kids would be the ones involved in Children's Crusade. Wanda's actions really have nothing to do with whether or not those children exist, and Children's Crusade would be really fucking bizarre if it was alt reality versions of Billy and Tommy looking for MCU Wanda.

The missing context:

The Young Avengers appear in the 2010–2012 miniseries, Avengers: The Children's Crusade, written by Allan Heinberg and illustrated by Jim Cheung.[17] In the series, Magneto learned that the Young Avengers were going to search for the still missing Scarlet Witch, and that Wiccan and Speed may be the reincarnations of Wanda's children. Magneto meets them, stating that he wants Wiccan and Speed to finally know him as their grandfather, and helps them find Wanda.[18][19]

Nor was there a complaint about bad writing.
Last edited by Forsher on Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indomitable Friendship
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 16, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Indomitable Friendship » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:06 pm

I'm sure this has been discussed multiple times in this gargantuan thread, but please indulge me, anyway; are you more partial to Marvel or DC and why?

I personally prefer DC. I like the iconicity of the characters and their correspondingly titanic levels of power. With this comes a more fantastical and imaginative universe (IMO) that feels pervasively larger in scope at all times. I also like that DC characters are thought of as "unrelatable"; Superman is an alien and idealized as perfection; Batman is an obsessive recluse driven by personal darkness; Wonder Woman is the daughter of the gods and I snickered to myself when I read one of her old issues and she was depicted as praying to the gods while fully nude. It was so out of touch with modernity, but not at all anachronistic for some reason - DC heroes just transcend time by virtue of their stature, I guess. I would also make the case that DC does a far better job humanizing their villains. Obviously, this mostly applies to Batman's rogues, but even with the Suicide Squad, you have characterization that I don't think Marvel quite matches.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:31 pm

Indomitable Friendship wrote:I'm sure this has been discussed multiple times in this gargantuan thread, but please indulge me, anyway; are you more partial to Marvel or DC and why?

DC makes better cartoons.
Marvel makes better movies.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:41 am

Forsher wrote:The actual winner for not staying dead in the MCU would be Bruce. He's died once on screen (Ragnarok), references having committed suicide once (The Avengers) and then is implied to have died in the initial incident by Tony (also The Avengers). Plus, Ragnarok would suggest that when he jumped out of the helicopter in The Incredible Hulk he died then, too. However, I haven't seen that for some time so...
He crashes into the ground as Banner and comes out as Hulk in 'The Incredible Hulk' so he died there just as in Ragnarok, the suicide is seen in the alternate beginning for the same movie but not if he actually died. To me Tony's comment implies Banner lived in the incident and immediatly transformed in the Hulk.

Eahland wrote:
It makes no sense for the MCU to be 616. Maybe 838 uses a different numbering scheme than we do in this universe. (But why would they number their own universe 838, then?)

Selvig already mentions their universe as 616 in Thor.

Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:32 pm

DC makes great animated movies. Marvel makes great Live action stuff. Both have great characters and spotty comic records.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:12 pm

Re: Children’s Crusade
Obviously she screwed up by looking for them as directly twins or being the age she knew or whatever, not older teens in separate families - the whole reincarnated in the past I like to poke fun at (in so far as that’s my relative understanding of how they got that way in the comics). Or something

The Church of Satan
Minister

Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Church of Satan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:30 am

Indomitable Friendship wrote:I'm sure this has been discussed multiple times in this gargantuan thread, but please indulge me, anyway; are you more partial to Marvel or DC and why?

I prefer DC, primarily because of its less mainstream characters. Flex Mentallo, Negative Man, Danny the Street, Crazy Jane, Robot Man, Mr. Nobody, Mentallium Man, Niles Caulder, Burnout, Fairchild, Freefall, Grunge, Rainmaker, Lobo, the Space Cabbie, Doctor Manhattan, and The Phantom Stranger (among many others.) Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of Marvel's work, but DC took a walk on the wild side with awesome writers such as Grant Morrison and ended up with their best unsung heroes (and villains.) I'll take them over the Justice League any day of the week.
Last edited by The Church of Satan on Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Rejected Realms: Former Delegate | Former Vice Delegate | Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History - 824 Days
Free the WA gnomes!

Chanku: This isn't an election it's an assault on the eyes. | Ikania: Hear! The Gospel of... Satan. Erh...
Yuno: Not gonna yell, but CoS is one of the best delegates ever | Ever-Wandering Souls: In the liberal justice system, raiding-based offenses are considered especially heinous. In The South Pacific, the dedicated defenders who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Council on Regional Security. These are their proscriptions. DUN DUN.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:44 am

Lord Dominator wrote:Re: Children’s Crusade
Obviously she screwed up by looking for them as directly twins or being the age she knew or whatever, not older teens in separate families - the whole reincarnated in the past I like to poke fun at (in so far as that’s my relative understanding of how they got that way in the comics). Or something

I mean, it could be the case that by the time she started looking, they'd already reincarnated.

Someone was suggesting on the subreddit that a way of bringing Wanda back would be to have her have an adventure in Hell. Finally give the fans the Mephisto appearance they've been clamouring for, sort of thing.

Anyway, I was thinking, what if the kid's dad in universes like 838 where they're not artificial constructs created by magic is Simon Williams and this is why Vision wasn't around?

Kiddian States
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kiddian States » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:55 am

Forsher wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:Re: Children’s Crusade

I mean, it could be the case that by the time she started looking, they'd already reincarnated.

Someone was suggesting on the subreddit that a way of bringing Wanda back would be to have her have an adventure in Hell. Finally give the fans the Mephisto appearance they've been clamouring for, sort of thing.

Anyway, I was thinking, what if the kid's dad in universes like 838 where they're not artificial constructs created by magic is Simon Williams and this is why Vision wasn't around?

Who?
-Kiddian
Flag Designer
Pop Culture Connoisseur
————————————————————

Pasong Tirad
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Pasong Tirad » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:02 am

Seriously, Disney, buddy. Just. Let your people breathe a little before pushing out the content. Give them, like, a year more to produce a series. Just one year, so series that have so much potential don't end up looking like, well, episode 4.

Ending had a nice set up. Hopefully episode 5 is better. End credits feature cool art.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction