NATION

PASSWORD

MCU/Superhero Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Opinion on Across the Spider-Verse

Haven’t Seen It
37%
0 Stars
2%
1 Star
2%
2 Stars
2%
3 Stars
10%
4 Stars
49%

Total votes : 63

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu May 06, 2021 1:31 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Forsher wrote:
What If? looks like a trainwreck that consists far too much of "what if X character was Y hero instead" rather than exploring more conceptual ideas combined with dodgy (read: unconventional aesthetic choices) animation.

People said the same thing about the animation in the previews for Spiderverse, and look how that turned out.

That 'leap of faith' sequence in Spiderverse is the best scene in superhero movies.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu May 06, 2021 1:32 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:People said the same thing about the animation in the previews for Spiderverse, and look how that turned out.

That 'leap of faith' sequence in Spiderverse is the best scene in superhero movies.

It's up there, yeah.

To think I almost skipped it until I heard Nic Cage was in it...
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu May 06, 2021 11:34 am

Lord Dominator wrote:Me, I’m most excited for What If? and Secret Wars

On Strange 2, I’m mostly on the Nightmare train because he seems fairly logical for a semi-horror movie + the director of the first originally having wanted him for that one. Who knows, maybe the horror elements aren’t a principal feature of the villain (Cthon, Mephisto) or they’ll go cosmic horror (Shuma-Gorath). Idk really :p

What If looks cool as fuck. I would love for them to do Secret Wars. Though I’d want them to do a whole phase that’s Secret Wars. Like do the 2015 Secret Wars with Doom and the Battleworld and just have a whole phase of movies take place in that reality. That’d be a bit much but it’d bre cool. I think at best they’d just do another two parter they don’t consider a two parter.

Reportedly the Russo brothers would be down for making something of the original Secret Wars event from 1984 (not that they’re currently doing so, just that they would).

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu May 06, 2021 12:09 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:What If looks cool as fuck. I would love for them to do Secret Wars. Though I’d want them to do a whole phase that’s Secret Wars. Like do the 2015 Secret Wars with Doom and the Battleworld and just have a whole phase of movies take place in that reality. That’d be a bit much but it’d bre cool. I think at best they’d just do another two parter they don’t consider a two parter.

Reportedly the Russo brothers would be down for making something of the original Secret Wars event from 1984 (not that they’re currently doing so, just that they would).

I like the 1984 Secret Wars just for its simplicity. The 2015 one was pretty convoluted and apparently revolved around the importance of carrying snacks.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu May 06, 2021 2:37 pm

Vassenor wrote:Andrew Garfield formally puts the kibosh on the No Way Home rumours.

So presumably we're going to get chapter and verse about how this is all lies because it doesn't fit what people want to believe.

Already seen it. In fact, the only way I've seen that video is via some dude breaking down why this video actually confirms that Garfield is in it. Mainly his unwillingness to say specifically "I am not in this movie" but instead "I didn't get the call."

Assuming that's the same interview. Yeah, it is. I'd link the video I watched claiming this was confirmation but...I mean...

I mean at this point he could provide detailed evidence of his movements for the last year and people would still say he was lying to cover his involvement in the film.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu May 06, 2021 5:35 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Already seen it. In fact, the only way I've seen that video is via some dude breaking down why this video actually confirms that Garfield is in it. Mainly his unwillingness to say specifically "I am not in this movie" but instead "I didn't get the call."

Assuming that's the same interview. Yeah, it is. I'd link the video I watched claiming this was confirmation but...I mean...

I mean at this point he could provide detailed evidence of his movements for the last year and people would still say he was lying to cover his involvement in the film.

I’m on the tablet and it’s not letting me copy the specific link but here is a follow up video to that guy that took Garfield’s interview as a confirmation. In the description he links what is apparently the patient zero of everyone’s certainty, a video that was posted on a Spanish language Sony YouTube channel that was taken down by copyright claims.

I wouldn’t rule out actors being coy to preserve a surprise, my chief skepticism is how well the production was watched and none of these rumors involve Garfield or McGuire being even in the same city as the production. Unless they did some serious B team shit.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Mon May 10, 2021 4:39 am

I'm not sure why this new Loki clip hasn't got more attention. Personally, I think it really enhances the comparison to Breakout Kings, White Collar and similar.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon May 10, 2021 7:07 am

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon May 10, 2021 7:19 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:Venom: There Will Be Carnage has a trailer up.

I didn't much care for the first one, but I'll still watch this for Woody as Cletus. Also, super glad they ditched that wig he was wearing in the stinger of the first one.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Mon May 10, 2021 1:32 pm

I keep forgetting that ever existed.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon May 10, 2021 1:37 pm

Looks alright. I never watched the first one though so dont have much interest.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon May 10, 2021 1:47 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:

It wasn't that good. He doesn't even go full Venom until like an hour into the movie.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon May 10, 2021 1:53 pm

Venom sans Spider-man just doesn’t work for me. I know at this point that the symbiote has merged with just about everybody in the Marvel Universe and they’ve retconned his life a million times but without that tie to Spider-man upfront it just doesn’t really work. But...I watch everything so what does it matter.
Last edited by Cannot think of a name on Mon May 10, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu May 13, 2021 11:07 am

I think I've mentioned that Thor: Ragnarok and IW/Endgame feel completely discontinuous on a character level for Thor, Loki and, especially, Hulk? Well, I just discovered why:

Fandango: Speaking of Thor, Thor: Ragnarok feels like it had a significant influence on characters in this film.

Stephen McFeely: I mean, we did all of this before Ragnarok.

Christopher Markus: Yeah, initially we were writing drafts prior to Taika coming onboard. And it was once they got underway and they were off in Australia making the movie and it was clear that they were discovering new facets to Thor, Chris Hemsworth wanted to make sure that this new loosened-up Thor didn't vanish immediately upon returning to the Avengers world. And so he and Taika flew to Atlanta and we had long meetings with them and watched some footage and got a sense of the new Thor tone, and it worked perfectly with where we wanted to go.

Stephen McFeely: At some point when we figured out what we wanted to do, and create Smart Hulk in the second movie, I think Kevin sort of pulled Mark aside and said, "Listen, we're sort of treating these next three movies, Ragnarok, Infinity War, and Endgame, as sort of a longterm three-movie Hulk arc. So be patient because that third one is gonna be great."

So yeah that was always a wrestling match, right? Because we weren't sure when the Smart Hulk transformation was going to happen. So was it meant to be at the end of Infinity War? Was it going to be at the top of Endgame? You know, it was always fluid.

That's a really old interview, by the way.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Sat May 15, 2021 11:02 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Looks alright. I never watched the first one though so dont have much interest.

It wasn't that good. He doesn't even go full Venom until like an hour into the movie.

To be fair, Iron Man's red and yellow armor goes on after 1:15 in the movie so that's even later.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:

I like the first one but as has been said, it's weird without Spider-man. It's has gotten me more interested than the Shang Chi movie.

Cannot think of a name wrote:Venom sans Spider-man just doesn’t work for me. I know at this point that the symbiote has merged with just about everybody in the Marvel Universe and they’ve retconned his life a million times but without that tie to Spider-man upfront it just doesn’t really work. But...I watch everything so what does it matter.
Well Brock smashes a spider in the trailer so that's something right? >.> But you're right, part of Venom is that he hates Spider-Man and that's missing here.

Forsher wrote:I'm not sure why this new Loki clip hasn't got more attention. Personally, I think it really enhances the comparison to Breakout Kings, White Collar and similar.
I read Morbius at the start....

Vassenor wrote:

I’m on the tablet and it’s not letting me copy the specific link but here is a follow up video to that guy that took Garfield’s interview as a confirmation. In the description he links what is apparently the patient zero of everyone’s certainty, a video that was posted on a Spanish language Sony YouTube channel that was taken down by copyright claims.

I wouldn’t rule out actors being coy to preserve a surprise, my chief skepticism is how well the production was watched and none of these rumors involve Garfield or McGuire being even in the same city as the production. Unless they did some serious B team shit.
They were wearing a baseball cap and sun glasses so nobody recognised them.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat May 15, 2021 11:16 am

HC Eredivisie wrote:To be fair, Iron Man's red and yellow armor goes on after 1:15 in the movie so that's even later.

Yeah, but he still had the proto-armor and the test flight silver armor before that. So it's not really the same.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat May 15, 2021 2:11 pm

The other issue with the new Venom movie is they already did the Life Foundation symbiotes in the last one and now Carnage, it’s going to come down to goo monster vs goo monster again. Riot was already more powerful. Had a little mini monologue about it and everything. What distinguishes this outside a more recognizable opponent and actor?

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat May 15, 2021 2:38 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:The other issue with the new Venom movie is they already did the Life Foundation symbiotes in the last one and now Carnage, it’s going to come down to goo monster vs goo monster again. Riot was already more powerful. Had a little mini monologue about it and everything. What distinguishes this outside a more recognizable opponent and actor?

Well, that last thing. I mean Riot was a boring villain, as was the cliche "Eliminate humanity to save the environment" guy he was attached to. Carnage is a wackadoo attached an ever more wackadoo serial killer played by a much better actor. Ergo, it will be superior.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Sat May 15, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat May 15, 2021 3:12 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:The other issue with the new Venom movie is they already did the Life Foundation symbiotes in the last one and now Carnage, it’s going to come down to goo monster vs goo monster again. Riot was already more powerful. Had a little mini monologue about it and everything. What distinguishes this outside a more recognizable opponent and actor?

Well, that last thing. I mean Riot was a boring villain, as was the cliche "Eliminate humanity to save the environment" guy he was attached to. Carnage is a wackadoo attached an ever more wackadoo serial killer played by a much better actor. Ergo, it will be superior.

Will it though? “Oh no, see...this goo monster is craaaaaazy, so...like, it’s different n stuff.”

It’s the first movie. This is why you can’t do Venom outside Spider-Man/the marvel universe. Outside of that it’s just uninspired variants of goo monsters trading one liners.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat May 15, 2021 3:15 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Well, that last thing. I mean Riot was a boring villain, as was the cliche "Eliminate humanity to save the environment" guy he was attached to. Carnage is a wackadoo attached an ever more wackadoo serial killer played by a much better actor. Ergo, it will be superior.

Will it though? “Oh no, see...this goo monster is craaaaaazy, so...like, it’s different n stuff.”

It’s the first movie. This is why you can’t do Venom outside Spider-Man/the marvel universe. Outside of that it’s just uninspired variants of goo monsters trading one liners.

I mean if it sucks, you still got Woody Harrelson. He's good at being the best part of bad movies. Zombieland, Three Billboards, that third Planet Of The Apes movie, etc.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed May 19, 2021 9:05 pm

Ya'll ready for M.O.D.O.K.? You get that Wonder Man you didn't get in WandaVision.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed May 19, 2021 10:51 pm

New name in the Doctor Strange villain lottery, Shuma-Gorath.

A being if unspeakable horror that lives extra dimensionally would work for it to be a horror movie.

Tarsonis
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Wed May 19, 2021 11:50 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:New name in the Doctor Strange villain lottery, Shuma-Gorath.

A being if unspeakable horror that lives extra dimensionally would work for it to be a horror movie.

God damnit Hermeus Mora, we know it's you. Stop trying to enter our world through our literary works.
NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Thucydides: “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.”
1 Corinthians 5:12 "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?"
Galatians 6:7 "Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed May 19, 2021 11:52 pm

Tarsonis wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:New name in the Doctor Strange villain lottery, Shuma-Gorath.

God damnit Hermeus Mora, we know it's you. Stop trying to enter our world through our literary works.

Screw him and his annoying realm of books. I hated that DLC.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Tarsonis
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Thu May 20, 2021 12:28 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Tarsonis wrote:

Screw him and his annoying realm of books. I hated that DLC.

It had the super saiyan shout. Worth it.
NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Thucydides: “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.”
1 Corinthians 5:12 "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?"
Galatians 6:7 "Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction