NATION

PASSWORD

MCU/Superhero Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Opinion on Across the Spider-Verse

Haven’t Seen It
37%
0 Stars
2%
1 Star
2%
2 Stars
2%
3 Stars
10%
4 Stars
49%

Total votes : 63

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:06 am

Gig em Aggies wrote:
New haven america wrote:The only movie he wasn't in ended in half the universe dying.

If Hawkeye wasn't a god among men, then explain how that was able to happen.

if he was a god among men then why did he let Iron Man and my girl Black Widow Die?

Because God Hawkeye works in mysterious ways.

Lord Dominator wrote:Note on Doom, but in the comics at least Latveria was fairly corrupt and autocratic monarchy prior to Doom taking over. The comics generally agree that he is a better ruler, though they vary on how much of a police state & how well liked he (at least so far as I know, based on the wikis and such).

Translating this to a solo movie, you can get a pretty good tragedy out of it - man sets out to change the world, becomes the very thing he strove to overthrow (if marginally better). Hel, lean full into the dichotomy of Doom, have it be a virtual paradise of science & healthcare & etc, except for all the surveillance and lack of freedom requisite to do so.
Doom: Origins, and a sequel Doom: Eternal.
It does sounds like a decent movie.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:10 pm

You know, if they ever bring in Doc Ock for a Spider-Man MCU movie, I hope they get Alfred Molina to play him again.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:22 am

That'd be nice.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.

25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:51 am

Ameriganastan wrote:You know, if they ever bring in Doc Ock for a Spider-Man MCU movie, I hope they get Alfred Molina to play him again.

what about having someone like Michael Shannon, Colin Firth, Mark Strong, Peter Weller, or Bruce Greenwood play Doc Ock?
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:18 am

And that's a wrap on Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D.. The time travel in the show lined up with the time travel rules with the movies at the end after bopping around in different timelines, also might have set up the alternate timelines multiverse heading into phase IV, though I think it's clear that they landed in an alternate timeline after jumping to the future and fighting the Kree, so this is a new timeline where whatshisname...Mac is in charge of SHIELD and riding helicarriers and wearing Nick Fury jackets. AoS managed to be both cannon and non-cannon at the same time. Since they peaced out of the main timeline just as Thanos arrived it narrowly avoided a bunch of complications. They were fighting Graviton when Thanos arrived, then the Chromoton dude zapped them into the future, the past they got back to wasn't the one they left...new reality. That's the one they return to in the finale. Put for the six people still watching AoS it's a good primer for the multiverse that's set to play up in phase IV.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

West Bromwich Holme
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby West Bromwich Holme » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:18 am

AoS was both canon and non-canon?

I remember reading the Netflix series were canon, but some fandom didn't consider them canon; not that it mattered to me, I enjoyed Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

Do you think AoS would ever get a reboot within the MCU or not, like the Netflix shows could, in theory, and how would they explain it away in-universe?

Charlie Cox as Daredevil was great; I really enjoyed that series!
Formerly Astholm. I am no longer using the account Astholm.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:26 am

West Bromwich Holme wrote:AoS was both canon and non-canon?

I remember reading the Netflix series were canon, but some fandom didn't consider them canon; not that it mattered to me, I enjoyed Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

Do you think AoS would ever get a reboot within the MCU or not, like the Netflix shows could, in theory, and how would they explain it away in-universe?

The fandom can say whatever helps them sleep at night, but the show was canon with the MCU. They mentioned big shit that happened (Sokovia, SHIELD dissolving, etc.) all the time.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

West Bromwich Holme
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby West Bromwich Holme » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:11 am

Ameriganastan wrote:The fandom can say whatever helps them sleep at night, but the show was canon with the MCU. They mentioned big shit that happened (Sokovia, SHIELD dissolving, etc.) all the time.

I enjoyed AoS, and the previous season with Izel and Sarge's Squad was good too - Karolina Wydra was good as Izel, and as for the fake Coulson's true form, goddamn scary but good!
Formerly Astholm. I am no longer using the account Astholm.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:17 am

Some of the stuff meshed up, and AoS of all of them tied in the most directly. They’re the ones that found what’s his name that was making Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver with Loki’s staff and Coulson was stowing the helicarrier that showed up in Age of Ultron.

When they were fighting Graviton they mentioned Thanos’ invasion (just not Thanos himself because no one knew yet).

They also had an adventure with Lady Sith. And Nick Fury guested in season one I think. Pretty sure it was season one.

And of course the entire drama of the series revolved around Hydra infiltrating SHIELD which happened in Winter Soldier.

But then they also had Inhumans which no one outside of AoS talks about despite it being a worldwide conversation with a terrigen leak. Nations even try to get Inhuman armies, but no mention outside of the show.

Then after the snap, it just got weird...but as I argued earlier, I think they closed that circle by having them move through time and therefore the multiverse. So the big cannon changes that take place on AoS don’t have to take hold but they still are connected to the world anyway.

So when Mac isn’t in charge of SHIELD later, it’s because they’re in a parallel universe. Or that trouble in Moscow that he talked about was the Black Widow movie and they’ll start filling in Colby Smolder’s style. Who knows. By Marvel’s schedule Black Widow would have been out before AoS started its last season.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:28 am

Ameriganastan wrote:

The fandom can say whatever helps them sleep at night, but the show was canon with the MCU. They mentioned big shit that happened (Sokovia, SHIELD dissolving, etc.) all the time.
My Black Widow & Scarlett Witch fanfic also mentions things that happened in the movies, does that make it canon?

If there's dimension/timeline/alternate reality hopping in one of the next movies (Dr. Strange 2 I guess) I hope we also get to see something of other realities like those where Ultron won, Thanos' second snap wasn't prevented, zombies took over, a world where there were no Avengers at all (just a blue/red blurr flying by and a suspiciously Bat-shaped cloud in the night sky) or one where Hela took over the Nine Realms. It doesn't have to be big, just something in the background when some cosmic being tells Wanda she can't mess with reality without consequences.

25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Aequalitatis ac Libertatis
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Aequalitatis ac Libertatis » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:23 pm

I'll just pop in here with a new topic since idk what's currently going on

What's everyone's favorite character in the franchise(since the poll question was only of the OG 6)? Mine's Natasha
"The true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love" -Che Guevara

Nation=Views
Nation eternally a WIP
Live free or die
May Rome reign eternally

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:38 am

Aequalitatis ac Libertatis wrote:I'll just pop in here with a new topic since idk what's currently going on

What's everyone's favorite character in the franchise(since the poll question was only of the OG 6)? Mine's Natasha

so you are disappointed the poll is about the OG 6 then proced to say your favorite is one of the OG 6. LOL
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:34 am

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:The fandom can say whatever helps them sleep at night, but the show was canon with the MCU. They mentioned big shit that happened (Sokovia, SHIELD dissolving, etc.) all the time.
My Black Widow & Scarlett Witch fanfic also mentions things that happened in the movies, does that make it canon?

No. But that has a lot more to do with the fact that you are not Marvel than anything else. Not sure why you thought that was relevant.

HC Eredivisie wrote:If there's dimension/timeline/alternate reality hopping in one of the next movies (Dr. Strange 2 I guess) I hope we also get to see something of other realities like those where Ultron won, Thanos' second snap wasn't prevented, zombies took over, a world where there were no Avengers at all (just a blue/red blurr flying by and a suspiciously Bat-shaped cloud in the night sky) or one where Hela took over the Nine Realms. It doesn't have to be big, just something in the background when some cosmic being tells Wanda she can't mess with reality without consequences.

Some of that list will be part of Marvel's What If? series coming to Netflix. The zombie one for sure. Also one where Peggy gets the super soldier serum.
Aequalitatis ac Libertatis wrote:I'll just pop in here with a new topic since idk what's currently going on

Always Spider-man. Technically my big favorite is in there, too, since they heavily implied that the OG Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider gave the Reyes Ghost Rider his vengeance spirit.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:59 am

Is she really your favorite or are you just trying for hipster points by liking one of the useless ones?
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:06 am

Ameriganastan wrote:

Is she really your favorite or are you just trying for hipster points by liking one of the useless ones?

Jesus christ, dude.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:24 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Is she really your favorite or are you just trying for hipster points by liking one of the useless ones?

Jesus christ, dude.

What, it's an honest question? Cripes, the most useful thing Widow did was die.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aequalitatis ac Libertatis » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:04 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Jesus christ, dude.

What, it's an honest question? Cripes, the most useful thing Widow did was die.

I'd write on why I admire her, among many other things, but given that you seem to only care about the "usefulness" i'll do that, pulling from both MCU and comics(although I kind of doubt you know either of them well) ("usefulness" is the second worst reason why someone should be your favorite, btw)

Outsmarting Loki?
Being considered the most dangerous woman in the world?
Defeating 100 people in a fight at once?
Beating Phoenix in a fight?
Beating Viper, Psylocke, and Spider-Woman all in one fight?
Deflecting Frank Castle's bullet?
Being on-par with Clint in aiming?(ricocheting a bullet off Matt Murdock's ribcage)
Matt being unable to tell she's lying?
Fighting Elektra to a standstill despite undergoing major surgery a few days before?
Managing to hold completely still during said surgery?

I'll just link you to these for the rest

https://www.reddit.com/r/respectthreads ... ff_marvel/
https://www.reddit.com/r/BBLspersonal/c ... dowmarvel/
Last edited by Aequalitatis ac Libertatis on Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nation=Views
Nation eternally a WIP
Live free or die
May Rome reign eternally

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aequalitatis ac Libertatis » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:09 am

Gig em Aggies wrote:

so you are disappointed the poll is about the OG 6 then proced to say your favorite is one of the OG 6. LOL

I'm not "disappointed", simply noting that some of the most popular ones are not in the OG 6(Bucky, Loki, Peter) and thus allowing them to be answers instead of picking from just the main ones

And *proceed

Nation=Views
Nation eternally a WIP
Live free or die
May Rome reign eternally

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:26 pm

Obviously the best MCU character is Baltroc the Leaper.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

PeePeePooPooCaCa
Lobbyist

Founded: May 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby PeePeePooPooCaCa » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:10 pm

I wonder why 3D man’s not in the mcu yet...

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:31 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:But then they also had Inhumans which no one outside of AoS talks about despite it being a worldwide conversation with a terrigen leak. Nations even try to get Inhuman armies, but no mention outside of the show.
Might have to mention it somehow when Kamala Khan arrives on Disney+...although Earth-616 story had terrigen released as a gas, and AOS had it in the water.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:05 am

I was looking back for videos on YT for 2019 and found this thing.

Look, I get that Brie Larson/Captain Marvel isn't everyone's favourite cup of tea but this YT video made me laugh:

"As a long time Marvel fan, I was going to buy all the high end Avengers: Endgame merchandise but then I saw that they tried to over-promote Captain Marvel and Brie Larson so I lost interest TO A DEGREE. I will still see Avengers: Endgame at the cinema with enthusiasm and contribute to box office (so it didn't kill my interest there) but it HAS affected at least 700 dollars worth of profit with respect to the merchandising."

It's just hilarious...
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:46 am

Hirota wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:But then they also had Inhumans which no one outside of AoS talks about despite it being a worldwide conversation with a terrigen leak. Nations even try to get Inhuman armies, but no mention outside of the show.
Might have to mention it somehow when Kamala Khan arrives on Disney+...although Earth-616 story had terrigen released as a gas, and AOS had it in the water.

It was also a gas, just that the gas got in the water. I think the idea was it got released with the water evaporated even, but I don't remember. I do remember it being a gas though.

I wonder if they'll do a soft reboot of the Inhumans or if they'll just do a little exposition to acknowledge it happened but then not go that deep into it, like some info dump that the Kree long ago created the Inhumans, Terregin blah blah hey look she's stretchy now!

I would like very much if they would bring the AT&T woman back as Squirrel Girl because I was looking forward to that in New Warriors.

Coryanhafflaruda
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 24, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Coryanhafflaruda » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:56 am

Ameriganastan wrote:You know, if they ever bring in Doc Ock for a Spider-Man MCU movie, I hope they get Alfred Molina to play him again.

I wonder what would happen if they go for a Superior Spider-Man story..

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:21 am

Coryanhafflaruda wrote:

I wonder what would happen if they go for a Superior Spider-Man story..

That was the one where they swapped brains, right?
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction