NATION

PASSWORD

MCU/Superhero Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Opinion on Across the Spider-Verse

Haven’t Seen It
37%
0 Stars
2%
1 Star
2%
2 Stars
2%
3 Stars
10%
4 Stars
49%

Total votes : 63

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:32 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
Voldemort himself?

Exactly. I'd pay good money to see him do Doom. Him or Christoph Waltz. Been too long since Waltz got to play the villain.

Waltz is interesting

I liked him in all roles, even the controversial Specter Bond movie
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:48 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Exactly. I'd pay good money to see him do Doom. Him or Christoph Waltz. Been too long since Waltz got to play the villain.

Waltz is interesting

Oh, right. He was in that. I guess I should rephrase that: It's been too long since I've seen a movie where he's the villain. I never watched the Craig Bond movies. Don't like his take.

Though if we're going with the younger take (Or at least younger looking), I'm thinking someone like...Eddie Redmayne. Just have him dial the ham back a touch so he doesn't go all Jupiter Ascending on us and he'd nail young Doom.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:17 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
Waltz is interesting

Oh, right. He was in that. I guess I should rephrase that: It's been too long since I've seen a movie where he's the villain. I never watched the Craig Bond movies. Don't like his take.

Though if we're going with the younger take (Or at least younger looking), I'm thinking someone like...Eddie Redmayne. Just have him dial the ham back a touch so he doesn't go all Jupiter Ascending on us and he'd nail young Doom.

Interesting... I’m mostly familiar with his work in Fantastic Beasts

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:27 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Exactly. I'd pay good money to see him do Doom. Him or Christoph Waltz. Been too long since Waltz got to play the villain.

Waltz is interesting

Nah, we don;t need to put a mask on Waltz. I liked the original Doom, who was actually a king/ruler instead of a college drop out living in a shed. And the actor was decent enough, he looked like how Doom should look like.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:07 am

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
Waltz is interesting

Nah, we don;t need to put a mask on Waltz. I liked the original Doom, who was actually a king/ruler instead of a college drop out living in a shed. And the actor was decent enough, he looked like how Doom should look like.

Latvia Doom is the only way to go. They've done a pretty good job of building up tech and magic. Even though they've built up the Asgardians to be magic tech people they haven't really had that Doctor Doom level of blending of magic and technology that you know would happen eventually. Someone would be the taco shell girl and go, "Why not both?" when it came to finding technological or magical solutions to their problems. And after all, the explanation for how Doctor Strange took to magic so well was his scientific mind, magic has a scientific logic to it.

Waltz is good but after being Blofeld and the bad guy in Green Hornet maybe he's tired of...nah, he seems to have so much fun camping things up. Charles Dance? Kind of at a loss. I'm not good at fan casting.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:17 am

Well I hope they really explore the political side of Doom (as ruler of his own kingdom).

That’s something movie versions of Doom have not adequately explored so far.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:56 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:Well I hope they really explore the political side of Doom (as ruler of his own kingdom).

I don't know that a major summer blockbuster super hero movie is going to spend a great deal of time on its villain balancing the Latevarian finances or balancing issues of housing while spending most of the countries budget on death rays.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:02 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:Well I hope they really explore the political side of Doom (as ruler of his own kingdom).

I don't know that a major summer blockbuster super hero movie is going to spend a great deal of time on its villain balancing the Latevarian finances or balancing issues of housing while spending most of the countries budget on death rays.

Hey, The Phantom Menace pulled it off.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:04 am

Cisairse wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:I don't know that a major summer blockbuster super hero movie is going to spend a great deal of time on its villain balancing the Latevarian finances or balancing issues of housing while spending most of the countries budget on death rays.

The Phantom Menace also had Jar Jar, so...
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:07 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Cisairse wrote:Hey, The Phantom Menace pulled it off.

The Phantom Menace also had Jar Jar, so...

Disney is pretty insistent lately on adding "fun/funny anthropomorphic sidekicks" that otherwise have no relevance to the plot so I honestly almost prefer Jar Jar

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:50 am

Cisairse wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:I don't know that a major summer blockbuster super hero movie is going to spend a great deal of time on its villain balancing the Latevarian finances or balancing issues of housing while spending most of the countries budget on death rays.

"pulled it off" is kind of up for debate.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:04 am

If it gets political at all it will be Batman V Superman Congressional Hearing/ IM 2 Senate Hearing or Winter Soldier/ Civil War.
Not to deep to confuse people but not to Shallow to make it boring. The politics would probably be used as a plot device and nothing more (We can't attack doom at his embassy since he has diplomatic immunity, We've Violated Latverian airspace and may cause an international incident, ETC, ECT) Whatever they do if Kevin Fiegie is involved it should work.

I'm personally excited for X-men, Kevin Fergie was one of the lead Producers on WOLVERINE and the X-Men which did a decent job at being an X-Men Show.
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:14 pm

I dunno... look at Black Panther. Mind you, that'd really only work if they did a Doom solo film. (That being said, there are people who complain that we don't see enough of Wakanda's constitution! I mean, wtf. It has nothing to do with anything.)

I would assume that a political!Doom would mostly consist of scenes set in his castle, with Doom on a throne... maybe eerie sequences of walking through Doomstadt with an overtly pro-Doom populace or, alternatively, an understated but clearly obvious scepticism of the main characters. And I'm not sure we'd really need much more than this. Hobnobbing with people at an embassy is another good option, too (see: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows for that style of scene). Of course, he'd always be coming across as very manipulative.

If they did do a Doom solo or non-origin story FF bad guy film... I would assume they'd set it during his takeover of Latveria. It probably wouldn't be much like, say, Hitler: the Rise of Evil (starring Liev Schreiber of all people) or even the Manchurian Candidate (only seen the remake... also with Liev Schreiber), but instead be more like Inside Man... with Doom taking the Clive Owen character's role... combined with, um, Disney's Robin Hood?

So... Doom would be associated with the inner machinations of Court/government if Latveria starts off as a republic, but the current ruler is definitely a Prince John type with a Sheriff of Nottingham style "dragon". These two geniuses will have wronged Doom (probably by causing his mother's death) and so Doom is out to get revenge. However, the movie is actually framed through a related revenge against the Fantastic Four plot (for the superhero action sequences) which is where the Inside Man comparison comes in (it's about a political goal but framed through a heist led by a character we know is in more control than our hero thinks).

Perhaps Doom stages some sort of robot based attack on the Baxter Building/America. Reed recognises the engineering signature as Doom's so the FF are sent in/allowed to go to Latveria to take Doom down... but this is exactly what he wants to happen. And then you get all sorts of chaos and destruction which is engineered to make Prince John and the Sheriff look bad, the FF slowly realising that they're being played and then the final fight... which Doom loses, but it's too late, he's executed Prince John and the Sheriff, so the FF no longer have the authority to arrest him (somehow executing those two makes Doom king) so they're forced to leave.

Hmm... is Disney's Robin Hood actually really into the machinations of governance? Yes, yes it is. Good God.

I guess there's always a Shakespearean model. Probably Macbeth. Maybe Hamlet.
Last edited by Forsher on Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:24 pm

There's no way I'm' reading that whole thing because "look at Black Panther..."

Cool. If the politics of Latveria are "transfer of power is handled by hand to hand combat in a waterfall" then go for it.

Jesus christ. This is why I never said anything in comic book stores.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:02 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Jesus christ. This is why I never said anything in comic book stores.

Right? Comic stores are so judgmental. You read some Texas Chainsaw Massacre comic while your brother is looking for something, and you get all these looks from uppity nerds.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:37 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Jesus christ. This is why I never said anything in comic book stores.

Right? Comic stores are so judgmental. You read some Texas Chainsaw Massacre comic while your brother is looking for something, and you get all these looks from uppity nerds.

That's why I create my own comic book stories in my head insane nah. as the voices in my head, say that I'm doing a good job at hiding my insanity. :p
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:09 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:There's no way I'm' reading that whole thing because "look at Black Panther..."

Cool. If the politics of Latveria are "transfer of power is handled by hand to hand combat in a waterfall" then go for it.

Jesus christ. This is why I never said anything in comic book stores.

What does this even mean?

Aside from anything else, if you actually think the only political functioning in Black Panther was the tribal combat at the start? You need to watch the film again. But even if you were right and that's all there was... this is merely the means by which Black Panther created a cinematic representation of the transfer of power. A huge chunk of the film is about the succession.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:15 pm

20 years ago on this day, X-Men the movie came out.

Superhero movies sure have come a long way since then.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:25 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:20 years ago on this day, X-Men the movie came out.

I'll never get over that apple polisher Scott saying, "What would you prefer, yellow spandex?"

YES, Scott...we would.

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:00 pm

A pretty important movie itself.

The holocaust scene at the beginning went a long way towards getting audiences to take superhero movies seriously. Consider the camp that had been coming out in the prior decade.
Last edited by The first Galactic Republic on Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:26 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:

A pretty important movie itself.

The holocaust scene at the beginning went a long way towards getting audiences to take superhero movies seriously. Consider the camp that had been coming out in the prior decade.

I would love to split the difference. After the debacle of Batman & Robin they jumped on this 'realism' kick, especially with Nolan's Batman. The problem is that realistically, Batman is stupid. And problematic. The gothic stylistic nature of Burton's Batman was appropriate for Batman and part of what made the animated series inspired by that aesthetic so great (as well as Bruce Timm just being on top of his shit). Raimi did a pretty good job of making a picture perfect Spider-man...Aunt May looked ripped from the page. Marvel took over a decade to bring things back around to being comic book movies instead of action movies with super powers.

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:31 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:A pretty important movie itself.

I would love to split the difference. After the debacle of Batman & Robin they jumped on this 'realism' kick, especially with Nolan's Batman. The problem is that realistically, Batman is stupid. And problematic. The gothic stylistic nature of Burton's Batman was appropriate for Batman and part of what made the animated series inspired by that aesthetic so great (as well as Bruce Timm just being on top of his shit). Raimi did a pretty good job of making a picture perfect Spider-man...Aunt May looked ripped from the page. Marvel took over a decade to bring things back around to being comic book movies instead of action movies with super powers.

I don’t disagree really. I don’t like every superhero movie from the early 2000’s. There’s only a few that really stand out.

It took until the 2010’s for the quality to be more consistent, and at the same time, that’s the decade we started to see more unique superhero movies like Logan, or Spiderverse, or dare I say LEGO Batman.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:15 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:I would love to split the difference. After the debacle of Batman & Robin they jumped on this 'realism' kick, especially with Nolan's Batman. The problem is that realistically, Batman is stupid. And problematic. The gothic stylistic nature of Burton's Batman was appropriate for Batman and part of what made the animated series inspired by that aesthetic so great (as well as Bruce Timm just being on top of his shit). Raimi did a pretty good job of making a picture perfect Spider-man...Aunt May looked ripped from the page. Marvel took over a decade to bring things back around to being comic book movies instead of action movies with super powers.

I don’t disagree really. I don’t like every superhero movie from the early 2000’s. There’s only a few that really stand out.

It took until the 2010’s for the quality to be more consistent, and at the same time, that’s the decade we started to see more unique superhero movies like Logan, or Spiderverse, or dare I say LEGO Batman.

I’m a tad concerned of the GotG effect where the secret to success is hijinx riddled yukumups. But Black Panther was anything but, so hopefully they’re still on board with “everyone gets their own genre.”

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:20 pm

tfw it's 2020 and we still don't have a spider-man noir movie

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:21 pm

Forsher wrote:

I dunno... look at Black Panther. Mind you, that'd really only work if they did a Doom solo film. (That being said, there are people who complain that we don't see enough of Wakanda's constitution! I mean, wtf. It has nothing to do with anything.)

I would assume that a political!Doom would mostly consist of scenes set in his castle, with Doom on a throne... maybe eerie sequences of walking through Doomstadt with an overtly pro-Doom populace or, alternatively, an understated but clearly obvious scepticism of the main characters. And I'm not sure we'd really need much more than this. Hobnobbing with people at an embassy is another good option, too (see: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows for that style of scene). Of course, he'd always be coming across as very manipulative.

If they did do a Doom solo or non-origin story FF bad guy film... I would assume they'd set it during his takeover of Latveria. It probably wouldn't be much like, say, Hitler: the Rise of Evil (starring Liev Schreiber of all people) or even the Manchurian Candidate (only seen the remake... also with Liev Schreiber), but instead be more like Inside Man... with Doom taking the Clive Owen character's role... combined with, um, Disney's Robin Hood?

So... Doom would be associated with the inner machinations of Court/government if Latveria starts off as a republic, but the current ruler is definitely a Prince John type with a Sheriff of Nottingham style "dragon". These two geniuses will have wronged Doom (probably by causing his mother's death) and so Doom is out to get revenge. However, the movie is actually framed through a related revenge against the Fantastic Four plot (for the superhero action sequences) which is where the Inside Man comparison comes in (it's about a political goal but framed through a heist led by a character we know is in more control than our hero thinks).

Perhaps Doom stages some sort of robot based attack on the Baxter Building/America. Reed recognises the engineering signature as Doom's so the FF are sent in/allowed to go to Latveria to take Doom down... but this is exactly what he wants to happen. And then you get all sorts of chaos and destruction which is engineered to make Prince John and the Sheriff look bad, the FF slowly realising that they're being played and then the final fight... which Doom loses, but it's too late, he's executed Prince John and the Sheriff, so the FF no longer have the authority to arrest him (somehow executing those two makes Doom king) so they're forced to leave.

Hmm... is Disney's Robin Hood actually really into the machinations of governance? Yes, yes it is. Good God.

I guess there's always a Shakespearean model. Probably Macbeth. Maybe Hamlet.

I like this idea

It’s Game of Thrones + a touch of Dr Strange :)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction