NATION

PASSWORD

MCU/Superhero Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Opinion on Across the Spider-Verse

Haven’t Seen It
37%
0 Stars
2%
1 Star
2%
2 Stars
2%
3 Stars
10%
4 Stars
49%

Total votes : 63

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:39 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:It would be good if every goddamn episode wasn't focused on Webby. I gave up before season 1 was over cause of her.

Holy shit you have beef with fucking Duck Tales.

That is awesome. Never change. Comic Book Guy has less beefs than you.

I have more beef than a cow farm. I still have beef with Rusty Wallace for spinning out Jeff Gordon once, and that was over 20 years ago.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:48 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Holy shit you have beef with fucking Duck Tales.

That is awesome. Never change. Comic Book Guy has less beefs than you.

I have more beef than a cow farm. I still have beef with Rusty Wallace for spinning out Jeff Gordon once, and that was over 20 years ago.

In some twisted way, you are an inspiration to us all

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:15 am

New haven america wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:It has 104 episodes of Ducktales though, and I mean the good old show, not the new one.

The new series is good though.

Could be, I don't watch it because I'm not part of the intended audience I don't like the art style but that's with a lot of new cartoons nowadays. Before it looked like someone actually put effort in it, now it looks like they needed to make four episodes before lunch.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:39 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:
New haven america wrote:The new series is good though.

Could be, I don't watch it because I'm not part of the intended audience I don't like the art style but that's with a lot of new cartoons nowadays. Before it looked like someone actually put effort in it, now it looks like they needed to make four episodes before lunch.

Design aesthetic=/=Animation quality.

For example, despite the new series looking more simple and rougher than the older series, it is actually much more animated and fluid than the original series. This is the case for a lot of TV shows, they have to pick style vs. motion because making things well animated and complex looking takes too long (See: Avatar TLA and Gravity Falls).

Just look at most anime, which while aesthetically pleasant to look at is barely animated a lot of the time.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:57 pm

New haven america wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:Could be, I don't watch it because I'm not part of the intended audience I don't like the art style but that's with a lot of new cartoons nowadays. Before it looked like someone actually put effort in it, now it looks like they needed to make four episodes before lunch.

For example, despite the new series looking more simple and rougher than the older series, it is actually much more animated and fluid than the original series. This is the case for a lot of TV shows, they have to pick style vs. motion because making things well animated and complex looking takes too long (See: Avatar TLA and Gravity Falls).

Just look at most anime, which while aesthetically pleasant to look at is barely animated a lot of the time.

He does have a point. It is pretty well animated. Least last time I watched.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:09 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
New haven america wrote:Design aesthetic=/=Animation quality.

He does have a point. It is pretty well animated. Least last time I watched.

Marvel cartoons are actually a great case study of this concept.

The X-Men in the 90's tried being an action show to compete against Batman TAS and Superman TAS, but it was so detailed and complex that the characters could barely move. Or modern Marvel cartoons like Avengers Assemble or Ultimate Spider-Man/Spider-Man (2017), one of them is pretty complex looking and relies a lot on bad CG and the characters being stilted most of the time, and the Spider-Man just looks like crap.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:26 pm

New haven america wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:Could be, I don't watch it because I'm not part of the intended audience I don't like the art style but that's with a lot of new cartoons nowadays. Before it looked like someone actually put effort in it, now it looks like they needed to make four episodes before lunch.

This is getting away from your point, but I think I'd take Design Aesthetic over animation quality. I mean, Digimon is a notorious example of anime that is "barely animated" but it's perfectly watchable and the way the characters look suits the story. This, and I think it's actually largely coincidental but imma use it as an example anyway, is particularly true of the episode where Tai goes back to the real world which looks like thiscompared to a normal episode that looks like this. Actually, the contrast is less obvious than I remember but hopefully you get the idea.

Obviously, there might be a certain "the brain is used to it" character to the fluidity aspect. I find I have to get used to watching traditional animation again. Watched the Secret of NIMH again the other day, for example, and it was initially quite weird with the painted backdrops but after a while I mostly stopped noticing. But the point is, the brain can compensate for these shortcomings so much more.

Voice Acting is also really important. Get that wrong and the whole thing can collapse just as, if not more easily, than getting the look wrong.

And then you get Fantastic Mr Fox which moves weird, sounds wrong and arrogantly trumpets the aesthetic of its director over the source material. Terrible, terrible film. Better than Alpha and Omega, of course, but still awful.

And since we're on the subject, I still think they should have animated the Inhumans television show. I mean, how did they think Inhumans could be pulled off with a TV budget? Had anyone involved with that ever picked up an Inhumans comic? Aside from anything else, they would've saved a packet on Black Bolt... no voice actor required. :rofl:

Of course, you can convince someone of the design aesthetic's quality... possibly I mean relevance. The first time I watched the Spiderverse trailer I was very sceptical. I just rewatched it now and I could barely convince myself it looked weird.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:32 pm

New haven america wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:He does have a point. It is pretty well animated. Least last time I watched.

The X-Men in the 90's tried being an action show to compete against Batman TAS and Superman TAS, but it was so detailed and complex that the characters could barely move. Or modern Marvel cartoons like Avengers Assemble or Ultimate Spider-Man/Spider-Man (2017), one of them is pretty complex looking and relies a lot on bad CG and the characters being stilted most of the time, and the Spider-Man just looks like crap.

Yeah, I see the commercials for that Spider-Man show sometimes. It looks so...flat.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:40 am

New haven america wrote:

I know but that's the feeling they give me.

New haven america wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:He does have a point. It is pretty well animated. Least last time I watched.

From what I remember I think the X-men show looked decent, just as the Avengers Assemble or Ultimate Spider-Man/Spider-Man you mention look good to me. :blush:

Forsher wrote:I still think they should have animated the Inhumans television show. I mean, how did they think Inhumans could be pulled off with a TV budget? Had anyone involved with that ever picked up an Inhumans comic? Aside from anything else, they would've saved a packet on Black Bolt... no voice actor required. :rofl:
They're in the Avengers show for an arc, Black Bolt even gets to yell at Ultron.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:34 pm

Forsher wrote:Aside from anything else, they would've saved a packet on Black Bolt... no voice actor required. :rofl:

You say that, but he still talks in cartoons.

...I'd link to the specific time, but COPPA is retarded. So just jump to about 59 seconds.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:55 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Forsher wrote:Aside from anything else, they would've saved a packet on Black Bolt... no voice actor required. :rofl:

You say that, but he still talks in cartoons.

...I'd link to the specific time, but COPPA is retarded. So just jump to about 59 seconds.

He talked eventually in the tv series as well. 'Cause that's his power. He has to say something in order for it to work.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:16 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:You say that, but he still talks in cartoons.

He talked eventually in the tv series as well. 'Cause that's his power. He has to say something in order for it to work.

I'm aware.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Stanmenistan
Envoy

Founded: Jan 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Stanmenistan » Wed May 06, 2020 4:42 am

Does anyone else think it was very disappointing that the MCU Captain Marvel movie had the Skrulls led by Talos (A D-List Hulk Foe with super strength instead of shapeshifting), instead of Empress R’kll or Veranke (or even Queen Akilll of the Skrull, who only appeared once)?

Wasn't it supposed to be all female empowerment and feminist and stuff? Why not have a alien lady as a heroic leader? It would contrast better with how the Supreme intelligence appears as a woman to the audience and the captain herself.

It really only sends girls and women a way worse message for a group of characters to be led by a guy the same time they stop being evil. I know certain Skrulls associated with the Fantastic Four like The Super Skrull and R’kll (debuted and died in the Fantastic Four's mag) weren't allowed (the Fox Buyout was a bit more complex than Joe Q Public knows), but Veranke debuted in an Avengers title. Why shouldn't she be the Skrulls leader? Or why not an original female Skrull leader?
Last edited by Stanmenistan on Wed May 06, 2020 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
About me
Man is free at the instant he wants to be-Voltaire
Think for yourself & let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too― Voltaire
We know more about the surface of the moon than the deep oceans of our own planet-Alastair Fothergill
If we do not become active partners in crafting the policies that involve & affect our work, it will be done without our insight, reason & wisdom-Rita R Colwell
The God of the Bible is also the God of the genome. He can be worshipped in the cathedral or in the laboratory. His creation is majestic, awesome, intricate, & beautiful-Francis Collins
It is the greatest good to the greatest number of people which is the measure of right & wrong-Jeremy Bentham

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Wed May 06, 2020 4:54 am

I love Hulk best.He is Green, and strong,and Green.By the way, when will the Deadpool join the MCU?He and Thanos are the couple
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Wed May 06, 2020 6:01 am

Stanmenistan wrote:Does anyone else think it was very disappointing that the MCU Captain Marvel movie had the Skrulls led by Talos (A D-List Hulk Foe with super strength instead of shapeshifting), instead of Empress R’kll or Veranke (or even Queen Akilll of the Skrull, who only appeared once)?

Pay attention to the actual movie. The Skrulls aren't the bad guys. It'd be a fucking disgrace if, say, Veranke was the leader of the Skrulls seen in the movie. (Now, if Talos' daughter is Veranke and still a bad guy/religious fanatic... yes fucking please.)

Why not have a alien lady as a heroic leader?

Again, pay attention to the actual movie. This is Mar-Vell. I mean, yes, gender flipping, but whatever. This is what the movie has.

And assuming Carol is half-Kree in the MCU too (yay! retcons!... although in this case I really don't care because, yay! Carol! but it's the principle of the thing) that's the entire film...

I mean, at least we didn't get the whole "female hero, therefore need female villain" argument from you... but, still, what the actual fuck?

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Stanmenistan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Stanmenistan » Wed May 06, 2020 9:45 am

Forsher wrote:
Stanmenistan wrote:Does anyone else think it was very disappointing that the MCU Captain Marvel movie had the Skrulls led by Talos (A D-List Hulk Foe with super strength instead of shapeshifting), instead of Empress R’kll or Veranke (or even Queen Akilll of the Skrull, who only appeared once)?

Pay attention to the actual movie. The Skrulls aren't the bad guys. It'd be a fucking disgrace if, say, Veranke was the leader of the Skrulls seen in the movie. (Now, if Talos' daughter is Veranke and still a bad guy/religious fanatic... yes fucking please)

Talos is a bad guy in the comics too but a good guy in the movies; is that not a fucking disgrace to put it in your vernacular?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for staying accurate to a character's roots in an adaptation, I thought it was good they saved Miles for a parallel universe crossover movie where he is the 2nd incarnation of Spider-Man, but I don't mind changes if they help make the new story work better (e.g. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in X-Men:Evolution, Toad in X-Men 1, The TMNT's more varied personalities in the 1987 Cartoon, The martial artist versions of the Terrible Trio in Batman: The Brave and The Bold).

But Captain Marvel was meant to be this big "Female Empowerment/Feminist Superhero Movie" for the MCU, like Wonder Woman was to the DCEU. If that's the case, why give a traditionally female role (Leader of the Skrulls) to a male character/actor (Talos portrayed by Ben Mendelsohn)? That seems a bit backwards.

If the Marvel Ultimate Alliance Game from 2006 features heroic Skrulls led by an empress, why the hell doesn't the 2019 movie?

I do think Veranke would be good as the leader of a rival group of Skrull's to Talos'; Skrulls who are actually hostile and possibly allied with the (hostile) MCU Kree, even. They think of Talos' Skrulls as heretics who must be punished for their blasphemy.

Forsher wrote:
Why not have a alien lady as a heroic leader?

Again, pay attention to the actual movie. This is Mar-Vell. I mean, yes, gender flipping, but whatever. This is what the movie has.

And assuming Carol is half-Kree in the MCU too (yay! retcons!... although in this case I really don't care because, yay! Carol! but it's the principle of the thing) that's the entire film...

I mean, at least we didn't get the whole "female hero, therefore need female villain" argument from you... but, still, what the actual fuck?

Just read this quote for my response to that.
Stanmenistan wrote:The Supreme Intelligence is a villain; the female version of original Mar-Vell dies; the Captain herself remains a soldier, a follower not a leader.

A heroic female leader who remains alive until the end of the film could have been great.

Sure, Talos was very funny, but their are tons of funny actresses and comediennes who could have been great as R'kll or Veranke.

Like I said, this only sends girls and women a way worse message for a group of characters to be led by a guy the same time they stop being evil. Other female leaders remain evil or if they are good, they will end up dead.

I know certain Skrulls associated with the Fantastic Four like The Super Skrull and R’kll (debuted and died in the Fantastic Four's mag) weren't allowed (the Fox Buyout was a bit more complex than Joe Q Public knows), but Veranke debuted in an Avengers title. Why shouldn't she be the Skrulls leader? Or why not an original female Skrull leader?

The Skrulls have usually been lead by a female in the comics and most of the adaptations. Why not the MCU? They are how most general audiences are introduced to superheroes and other comic book characters in the first place.
Last edited by Stanmenistan on Wed May 06, 2020 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
About me
We know more about the surface of the moon than the deep oceans of our own planet-Alastair Fothergill
If we do not become active partners in crafting the policies that involve & affect our work, it will be done without our insight, reason & wisdom-Rita R Colwell
The God of the Bible is also the God of the genome. He can be worshipped in the cathedral or in the laboratory. His creation is majestic, awesome, intricate, & beautiful-Francis Collins
It is the greatest good to the greatest number of people which is the measure of right & wrong-Jeremy Bentham

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Wed May 06, 2020 10:51 am

I think the idea that Captain Marvel is this incredibly feminist movie is a little overblown. We live in a society (to use that unironically for a second) where an action movie that high profile with a female lead is a rare occurrence, but that’s all it is. The film isn’t all in with the social themes like Black Panther.

It’s a standard action movie that imo felt more like a Phase 1 MCU movie than anything else.
Last edited by The first Galactic Republic on Wed May 06, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Stanmenistan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Stanmenistan » Wed May 06, 2020 2:03 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:I think the idea that Captain Marvel is this incredibly feminist movie is a little overblown. We live in a society (to use that unironically for a second) where an action movie that high profile with a female lead is a rare occurrence, but that’s all it is. The film isn’t all in with the social themes like Black Panther.

It’s a standard action movie that imo felt more like a Phase 1 MCU movie than anything else.

The quote I coloured and emboldened is my point exactly; if this film really wanted to be Feminist, the Skrulls would be both good guys AND led by a lady as they usually are. But instead, they had to have a male leader in order to be goodies in the MCU, apparently.

>:(
About me

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Wed May 06, 2020 2:10 pm

Hmm... maybe it's because Talos is a D-lister that it's not a problem if they shake things up more? Oh, no, it can't be that Veranke is in a different league to Tells until it's suddenly convenient for your argument that they're equivalent.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed May 06, 2020 3:26 pm

Stanmenistan wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:I think the idea that Captain Marvel is this incredibly feminist movie is a little overblown. We live in a society (to use that unironically for a second) where an action movie that high profile with a female lead is a rare occurrence, but that’s all it is. The film isn’t all in with the social themes like Black Panther.

The quote I coloured and emboldened is my point exactly; if this film really wanted to be Feminist, the Skrulls would be both good guys AND led by a lady as they usually are. But instead, they had to have a male leader in order to be goodies in the MCU, apparently.

...What in the Hell are you talking about?
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Wed May 06, 2020 5:46 pm

Also, it falls into a lot of the same pratfalls that bad writers think makes a strong female character, either she's one of the guys or almost emotionless. They think aspects of femininity are inherently weak so they need to be avoided, ridiculed (Not like other girls BS), and ignored. She's basically the exact opposite of how she was when she was Ms. Marvel, who was Tony's AA buddy, a people person, and had a lot of problems with her past and the very nature of her existence (And then bad Marvel writer and turned her into a literal fascist...).

Wonder Woman notably avoided this by treating her not as a strong female character, but treating her as a woman who was/is strong. And there's a big difference in how that's handled.
Last edited by New haven america on Wed May 06, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Wed May 06, 2020 10:13 pm

New haven america wrote:Also, it falls into a lot of the same pratfalls that bad writers think makes a strong female character, either she's one of the guys or almost emotionless. They think aspects of femininity are inherently weak so they need to be avoided, ridiculed (Not like other girls BS), and ignored. She's basically the exact opposite of how she was when she was Ms. Marvel, who was Tony's AA buddy, a people person, and had a lot of problems with her past and the very nature of her existence (And then bad Marvel writer and turned her into a literal fascist...).

Wonder Woman notably avoided this by treating her not as a strong female character, but treating her as a woman who was/is strong. And there's a big difference in how that's handled.

Nah, Carol's always been lame. There's a reason why the most interesting things people talk about with her are:

• Rogue (something that happens to Carol and is, frankly, more a Rogue than a Carol storyline)
  • that really icky storyline with her "son" they retconned (interesting because it's bad not because it's intriguing)
  • evil!Carol from Civil War II (interesting because it's bad not because it's intriguing)
  • being friends with Tony (defined by relationship to another character)

Basically, Carol's just someone who was there in the background... or even quasi-prominent... except in service to something else. Even now in her period of prominence, that's still how she's being used, with the weird co-opting of Alpha Flight (there must be some kind of logic there, but as I said... she's boring to read so I don't know it).

However, movie Carol is... I don't think people appreciate what they were doing. She's explicitly presented as being told to be emotional and also has amnesia. I feel like it's a nice way of representing that this character is seen as boring whilst also allowing an evolution into what people who like her (presumably you) see her as being. That is, of course, if people credit her apparent absence of personality to the circumstances of the story.

Endgame Carol does veer towards another sarcastic arrogant hero but, um, that's the MCU more than anything else.

Stanmenistan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Stanmenistan » Thu May 07, 2020 2:35 am

Forsher wrote:
New haven america wrote:Also, it falls into a lot of the same pratfalls that bad writers think makes a strong female character, either she's one of the guys or almost emotionless. They think aspects of femininity are inherently weak so they need to be avoided, ridiculed (Not like other girls BS), and ignored. She's basically the exact opposite of how she was when she was Ms. Marvel, who was Tony's AA buddy, a people person, and had a lot of problems with her past and the very nature of her existence (And then bad Marvel writer and turned her into a literal fascist...).

Nah, Carol's always been lame. There's a reason why the most interesting things people talk about with her are:

• Rogue (something that happens to Carol and is, frankly, more a Rogue than a Carol storyline)
  • that really icky storyline with her "son" they retconned (interesting because it's bad not because it's intriguing)
  • evil!Carol from Civil War II (interesting because it's bad not because it's intriguing)
  • being friends with Tony (defined by relationship to another character)

Basically, Carol's just someone who was there in the background... or even quasi-prominent... except in service to something else. Even now in her period of prominence, that's still how she's being used, with the weird co-opting of Alpha Flight (there must be some kind of logic there, but as I said... she's boring to read so I don't know it).

However, movie Carol is... I don't think people appreciate what they were doing. She's explicitly presented as being told to be emotional and also has amnesia. I feel like it's a nice way of representing that this character is seen as boring whilst also allowing an evolution into what people who like her (presumably you) see her as being. That is, of course, if people credit her apparent absence of personality to the circumstances of the story.

Endgame Carol does veer towards another sarcastic arrogant hero but, um, that's the MCU more than anything else.

I've read the 90s Avengers Comics and the X-Men Brood Saga, plus I'm watching EMH right now. Carol is a lot more likeable and has much clearer personality in those IMO. She's confident yet emotional, aggressive yet capable of compassion and understanding, and it shows.
About me

Stanmenistan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Stanmenistan » Thu May 07, 2020 2:49 am

Forsher wrote:Hmm... maybe it's because Talos is a D-lister that it's not a problem if they shake things up more? Oh, no, it can't be that Veranke is in a different league to Tells until it's suddenly convenient for your argument that they're equivalent.

*Sigh*

Talos maybe a D-Lister, but like I said, the Skrulls can still be led by a woman and be goodies. Just look at Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1.

Hell, they could have turned Veranke into a decomposite character. One could be Veranke, the leader of the heroic Skrulls. The other could be Queen *Something*, the religious fanatic and leader of the Evil Skrulls who plan to conquer Earth.

They didn't have to use Talos or Veranke at all. They could have invented a new Skrull queen who is a heroine instead.

Ameriganastan wrote:
Stanmenistan wrote:The quote I coloured and emboldened is my point exactly; if this film really wanted to be Feminist, the Skrulls would be both good guys AND led by a lady as they usually are. But instead, they had to have a male leader in order to be goodies in the MCU, apparently.

...What in the Hell are you talking about?

Just questioning if Captain Marvel can truly be called a "Female Empowerment Superhero film", if it replaces a traditionally female role with a male one whilst also making said role more heroic. That kind of demonizes Female leaders and the concept of female leadership, doesn't it? It really sends a bad message to women and girls that the Skrulls stop being evil as soon as they are led by a man instead of a woman.
Last edited by Stanmenistan on Thu May 07, 2020 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
About me

Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Thu May 07, 2020 8:08 am

Stanmenistan wrote:
Forsher wrote:Hmm... maybe it's because Talos is a D-lister that it's not a problem if they shake things up more? Oh, no, it can't be that Veranke is in a different league to Tells until it's suddenly convenient for your argument that they're equivalent.

*Sigh*

Talos maybe a D-Lister, but like I said, the Skrulls can still be led by a woman and be goodies. Just look at Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1.

Hell, they could have turned Veranke into a decomposite character. One could be Veranke, the leader of the heroic Skrulls. The other could be Queen *Something*, the religious fanatic and leader of the Evil Skrulls who plan to conquer Earth.

They didn't have to use Talos or Veranke at all. They could have invented a new Skrull queen who is a heroine instead.

Ameriganastan wrote:...What in the Hell are you talking about?

Just questioning if Captain Marvel can truly be called a "Female Empowerment Superhero film", if it replaces a traditionally female role with a male one whilst also making said role more heroic. That kind of demonizes Female leaders and the concept of female leadership, doesn't it? It really sends a bad message to women and girls that the Skrulls stop being evil as soon as they are led by a man instead of a woman.

I think you're reading too much into it. It doesn't need to be all female, all the time. And not being so doesn't make it "not feminist" or "not empowering".

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction