NATION

PASSWORD

The Arrowverse Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Anywhere Else But Here
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Anywhere Else But Here » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:50 am

Ameriganastan wrote:For fucks sake, Flash.
You went and killed the one positive thing this show had. Oliver Queen would have killed his ass. He'd have whined about it, but he'd have arrowed that bitch.

I don't buy Ralph being dead for a second. He'll be back by the end of the finale.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:00 pm

Anywhere Else But Here wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:For fucks sake, Flash.
You went and killed the one positive thing this show had. Oliver Queen would have killed his ass. He'd have whined about it, but he'd have arrowed that bitch.

I don't buy Ralph being dead for a second. He'll be back by the end of the finale.

Not if they have balls. They may not have balls.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Anywhere Else But Here
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Anywhere Else But Here » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:41 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:

I don't think leaving him dead is ballsy. What's the message there? That mercy is stupid and gets you killed? Flash isn't that grimdark.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:00 pm

An entire episode focused on Diaz. What fun that was...
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:35 pm

I don't think leaving him dead is ballsy. What's the message there? That mercy is stupid and gets you killed? Flash isn't that grimdark.

No, that principles matter even if there is a cost. If the message is "stick to your principles and eventually consequences will undo themselves" that's a shitty message. As soon as someone sticks to their guns and the costs don't undo themselves they'll feel betrayed. The truth is that Allen is right, people with their abilities killing is the easy choice. You don't underline that the choice is hard by undoing consequences. But this show won't have the courage of its convictions and will create the idea that if you do the right thing everything works out magically including saving the one bus meta that they managed to know longer than two episodes. That's a fairy tale move, but not a balls one.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Anxiety Cafe
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2007
Father Knows Best State

Postby Anxiety Cafe » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:54 pm

This week, in the Arrowverse:

Better than most recent episodes. Not good, but I think the show might be able to redeem itself next season, if they give Winn more than two seconds of screentime and try to expand on Olsen as the Guardian (even though his whole vigilante thing makes no sense).

Good episode, overall. They're definitely bringing Ralph back though, no doubt about it.

Boring, way too politicized. Felt like they were just smushing everything instead of spreading it out over a couple episodes or so.

Not worth mentioning. It was that bad.

Anywhere Else But Here
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Anywhere Else But Here » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:04 pm

No, that principles matter even if there is a cost. If the message is "stick to your principles and eventually consequences will undo themselves" that's a shitty message. As soon as someone sticks to their guns and the costs don't undo themselves they'll feel betrayed. The truth is that Allen is right, people with their abilities killing is the easy choice. You don't underline that the choice is hard by undoing consequences. But this show won't have the courage of its convictions and will create the idea that if you do the right thing everything works out magically including saving the one bus meta that they managed to know longer than two episodes. That's a fairy tale move, but not a balls one.

I don't think Barry said that the choice was hard. I believe he said that there's no need for people with abilities to kill. Which may be fair enough when facing ordinary crooks, but when facing other metas it's flatly contradicted by the past three season villains, all of whom have ultimately been stopped by death or sort-of-death, and this episode. No one would say that a policeman should put his own and civilian lives at risk trying to take out a gunman using only pepper spray or a baton, pretty talk about principles and costs or not.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:29 pm

I don't think Barry said that the choice was hard. I believe he said that there's no need for people with abilities to kill. Which may be fair enough when facing ordinary crooks, but when facing other metas it's flatly contradicted by the past three season villains, all of whom have ultimately been stopped by death or sort-of-death, and this episode. No one would say that a policeman should put his own and civilian lives at risk trying to take out a gunman using only pepper spray or a baton, pretty talk about principles and costs or not.

It was literally framed in Ralph phrasing it as 'the hard choice' and Barry expressly countered that very notion. And they were also expressly talking about a meta. But whatever. We disagree. I think bringing Ralph back undermines the message and makes it a promise reality cannot keep. You think that if they're not rewarded for their principles by having the costs removed then it undermines the message. It's a show about a guy who can run real fast and his super friends. We can disagree.

Anywhere Else But Here
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Anywhere Else But Here » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:51 pm

It was literally framed in Ralph phrasing it as 'the hard choice' and Barry expressly countered that very notion. And they were also expressly talking about a meta. But whatever. We disagree. I think bringing Ralph back undermines the message and makes it a promise reality cannot keep. You think that if they're not rewarded for their principles by having the costs removed then it undermines the message. It's a show about a guy who can run real fast and his super friends. We can disagree.

Ah, fair enough. I'd forgotten the wording.

It's not so much that it undermines the message as it a) kills off just about the only thing that's making Flash not shit for the sake of b) taking a tone that really doesn't serve this show well. Flash is at its best, IMO, when its a mix of silly and heartwarming. A depressing message, be it "principles have a cost" or "mercy is stupid" (neither of which are themes I'm opposed to seeing explored in other works) is antithetical to that.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:55 pm

ANXIETY CAFE wrote:

No, mention it. That episode was like 3 train-wrecks at once.
Like 1 scene of the guy the effing show is titled after.
Relationship drama.
The umpteenth mention of Wild Bitch being in the hospital.
The Quadrant being easier to infiltrate than a freaking local police department.
The Quadrant itself. Which was never mentioned before this episode, but is apparently some Illuminati level crime syndicate.
Diaz and his bland backstory.

I can go on.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Anywhere Else But Here
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Anywhere Else But Here » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:19 pm

I've not watched the latest Arrow and I'm not going to. I realised I'd long since reached the point where I regarded watching as a chore to be got through. I might dip back in for the finale, and of course I'll watch crossovers, but apart from that, I'm done.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2012

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:43 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
ANXIETY CAFE wrote:

No, mention it. That episode was like 3 train-wrecks at once.
Like 1 scene of the guy the effing show is titled after.
Relationship drama.
The umpteenth mention of Wild Bitch being in the hospital.
The Quadrant being easier to infiltrate than a freaking local police department.
The Quadrant itself. Which was never mentioned before this episode, but is apparently some Illuminati level crime syndicate.
Diaz and his bland backstory.

I can go on.

The Quadrant seems to be build off under the assumptions that they never touch Star City, since Diaz really needs to go to Bludhaven.

Anywhere Else But Here wrote:I've not watched the latest Arrow and I'm not going to. I realised I'd long since reached the point where I regarded watching as a chore to be got through. I might dip back in for the finale, and of course I'll watch crossovers, but apart from that, I'm done.

And yet they have been renewed for Season 7.
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

So Covenant declare a crusade and then wage jihad? :p

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:29 pm

Thanks, Flash. Black Siren is annoying enough in her own show, but make me suffer her even blander Nazi counterpart. Appreciate it...
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:16 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Thanks, Flash. Black Siren is annoying enough in her own show, but make me suffer her even blander Nazi counterpart. Appreciate it...

Appreciate the efforts. Also limiting budgets for more people by using one of the regular casts and put her into a different version of her current role.
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

Anxiety Cafe
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Anxiety Cafe » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:26 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Thanks, Flash. Black Siren is annoying enough in her own show, but make me suffer her even blander Nazi counterpart. Appreciate it...

I think they were doing it in the hopes it'd increase popularity for Black Siren, an attempt to save Arrow. I still don't know why they renewed that mess.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:32 pm

ANXIETY CAFE wrote:

I think they were doing it in the hopes it'd increase popularity for Black Siren, an attempt to save Arrow. I still don't know why they renewed that mess.

Perhaps because it is still popular and gave profits. I mean, Smallville was renewed till Season 10, and I heard it went downhill from Season 6 or 7.

Anxiety Cafe
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Anxiety Cafe » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:41 pm

ANXIETY CAFE wrote:

Perhaps because it is still popular and gave profits. I mean, Smallville was renewed till Season 10, and I heard it went downhill from Season 6 or 7.

True, although I think at least a substantial amount of viewers must only watch it for the continuity and crossovers, even though it isn't necessary. At least that's why I've continued watching.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:52 pm

ANXIETY CAFE wrote:

True, although I think at least a substantial amount of viewers must only watch it for the continuity and crossovers, even though it isn't necessary. At least that's why I've continued watching.

Arrowverse has the advantage of crossovers, tbh. Smallville didn't, and while relying on other heroes and villains it can take, at the end we never see any Batman or Wonder Woman characters. We do have Aquaman, Cyborg, Flash, Green Arrow, and Superman. But the Flash is not Barry and the Superman is never really Superman since he never got the uniform.

Anywhere Else But Here
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Anywhere Else But Here » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:42 am

All right, seriously, wtf is going on with Laurel? Why do they insist on putting her everywhere? Is there some section of the fanbase that adores her? A massive, silent majority? Is Katie Cassidy screwing some executive? Why must they put her in everything?

Mercifully, she didn't talk much in that episode, but we still had to put up with her shrill superpowers, which are almost as irritating as she is.

Anyway, Supergirl and the Flash were both just fine.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:42 pm

Anywhere Else But Here wrote:All right, seriously, wtf is going on with Laurel? Why do they insist on putting her everywhere? Is there some section of the fanbase that adores her? A massive, silent majority? Is Katie Cassidy screwing some executive? Why must they put her in everything?

Mercifully, she didn't talk much in that episode, but we still had to put up with her shrill superpowers, which are almost as irritating as she is.

Hey now. Laurel may be a shitty character, but there's no need to imply her screentime is the result of her actress screwing someone. That's that rude.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Anywhere Else But Here
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Anywhere Else But Here » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:55 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Anywhere Else But Here wrote:All right, seriously, wtf is going on with Laurel? Why do they insist on putting her everywhere? Is there some section of the fanbase that adores her? A massive, silent majority? Is Katie Cassidy screwing some executive? Why must they put her in everything?

Hey now. Laurel may be a shitty character, but there's no need to imply her screentime is the result of her actress screwing someone. That's that rude.

If she should happen to see my post, I'll gladly apologise to her.

Juristonia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2006
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Juristonia » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:02 am

I never really got the appeal either.
She doesn't seem particularly popular with the fanbase in general, but they just keep bringing her back and shoving her in everything anyway.
From the river to the sea

Liriena wrote:Say what you will about fascists: they are remarkably consistent even after several decades of failing spectacularly elsewhere.

Ifreann wrote:Indeed, as far as I can recall only one poster has ever supported legalising bestiality, and he was fucking his cat and isn't welcome here any more, in no small part, I imagine, because he kept going on about how he was fucking his cat.

Cannot think of a name wrote:Anyway, I'm from gold country, we grow up knowing that when people jump up and down shouting "GOLD GOLD GOLD" the gold is gone and the only money to be made is in selling shovels.

And it seems to me that cryptocurrency and NFTs and such suddenly have a whooooole lot of shovel salespeople.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:06 am

The stuff with Anitoly this episode was more interesting than the entirety of this Diaz plot. Mostly cause he's actually an interesting character. But the rest...
For what seems like the 8th time this season, it's the latest edition of "Hey, he's probably the Green Arrow". Yay...
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue May 01, 2018 6:05 pm

Well this has promise.
Marlize just stole head bad guy position from DeVoe. She is way more interesting than he is. Here's hoping they do something with it.

And holy crap, that weird recurring girl is a speedster!
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Juristonia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2006
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Juristonia » Tue May 01, 2018 6:31 pm

If that means we get more Kim Engelbrecht on screen, I'm completely on board.
Because of reasons.
From the river to the sea

Liriena wrote:Say what you will about fascists: they are remarkably consistent even after several decades of failing spectacularly elsewhere.

Ifreann wrote:Indeed, as far as I can recall only one poster has ever supported legalising bestiality, and he was fucking his cat and isn't welcome here any more, in no small part, I imagine, because he kept going on about how he was fucking his cat.

Cannot think of a name wrote:Anyway, I'm from gold country, we grow up knowing that when people jump up and down shouting "GOLD GOLD GOLD" the gold is gone and the only money to be made is in selling shovels.

And it seems to me that cryptocurrency and NFTs and such suddenly have a whooooole lot of shovel salespeople.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction