NATION

PASSWORD

Musicians, Composers, Vocalists, Instrumentalists

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jahe Davmwoem
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Jahe Davmwoem » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:09 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Jahe Davmwoem wrote:
I took a music theory course last semester (I am a junior in high school). It actually did help a lot.

I took my first at the same age -- I was also lucky enough to go to a school that then offered an AP Theory course, which was good, as music is not what I've ended up pursuing in college. Have you experimented much with actually writing?

A little. I will do it more when I get my notation program. I am getting Sibelius in a week or two.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:10 pm

Jahe Davmwoem wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:
I took my first at the same age -- I was also lucky enough to go to a school that then offered an AP Theory course, which was good, as music is not what I've ended up pursuing in college. Have you experimented much with actually writing?

A little. I will do it more when I get my notation program. I am getting Sibelius in a week or two.

Ack, Sibelius.

You use what you like, but I'm a Finale loyalist.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Jahe Davmwoem
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jahe Davmwoem » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:11 pm

Just out of interest, anyone here really into music history? Huge passion of mine, especially with non-standard repertoire composers.

Jahe Davmwoem
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jahe Davmwoem » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:13 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Jahe Davmwoem wrote:

Ack, Sibelius.

You write?

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:15 pm

Jahe Davmwoem wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:
Ack, Sibelius.

You write?

Yes. Not as much as I used to, and I've never been performed, but I've got the same thing with constant music in my head, and so whether or not I'll ever be performed, I need to get it out sometimes.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Jahe Davmwoem
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jahe Davmwoem » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Myuostii wrote:
Jahe Davmwoem wrote:
I took a music theory course last semester (I am a junior in high school). It actually did help a lot.

I'm learning a bit of music theory from my professional tutor. It helps a lot.

That's good. Keep at it!

Jahe Davmwoem
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jahe Davmwoem » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:19 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Jahe Davmwoem wrote:
You write?

Yes. Not as much as I used to, and I've never been performed, but I've got the same thing with constant music in my head, and so whether or not I'll ever be performed, I need to get it out sometimes.

Ah, that makes sense. Where would one find ear training at?

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:25 pm

Jahe Davmwoem wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

I might look into whether a local college offers courses such that you might be able to audit them. Beyond that, whatever teacher you took music theory from might know if there are any other places to learn it in the area. You might also find courses online if you're any good at teaching yourself things.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Jahe Davmwoem
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jahe Davmwoem » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:28 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Jahe Davmwoem wrote:

I might look into whether a local college offers courses such that you might be able to audit them. Beyond that, whatever teacher you took music theory from might know if there are any other places to learn it in the area. You might also find courses online if you're any good at teaching yourself things.

Alright. Thanks. Also, I just remembered your first posted said that you write, and had a link. I feel really stupid asking you if you write, but oh well.

Do you have any favorite genre of music to listen to?

Myuostii
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Myuostii » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:30 pm

Ok, this is a little off, but does anyone know about/is interested in/plays microtonal music or has an instrument capable of microtonal sounds?
Hej! We're an Anglo-Uralic nation in the Nordic region. I sometimes use NS stats, but I have many factbooks planned...
Political Compass: Left/Right:-2 Libertarian/Authoritarian:0.21

I'm in the Hetalia, Homestuck (Hetastuck confirmed), Pokémon, SatW (Is that considered a fandom or nah) Polandball fandoms, & a former member of the DBZ fandom.

BREAKING NEWS: Robbie Rotten declared national hero| Bio-Engineering aiming to create actual dragons| Memes lose by 1 vote to become nation currency

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:32 pm

Jahe Davmwoem wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

Alright. Thanks. Also, I just remembered your first posted said that you write, and had a link. I feel really stupid asking you if you write, but oh well.

I've been on a massive, like, jazz/oldies kick for the past couple of years. It is a shame, as I possess no talent for writing it, but I love to hear it and play it. My Spotify has a lot of Louis Armstrong and Frank Sinatra on it. That said, my tastes are very eclectic -- there's also everything on there from David Bowie to Beyonce to Tears for Fears to classic Disney to Snoop Dogg...

You?

Myuostii wrote:Ok, this is a little off, but does anyone know about/is interested in/plays microtonal music or has an instrument capable of microtonal sounds?

I believe I can theoretically achieve microtones on my trombone, and probably often do given how imprecise I still am with my slide positions.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Jahe Davmwoem
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jahe Davmwoem » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:35 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Jahe Davmwoem wrote:

I've been on a massive, like, jazz/oldies kick for the past couple of years. It is a shame, as I possess no talent for writing it, but I love to hear it and play it. My Spotify has a lot of Louis Armstrong and Frank Sinatra on it. That said, my tastes are very eclectic -- there's also everything on there from David Bowie to Beyonce to Tears for Fears to classic Disney to Snoop Dogg...

You?

Classical Orchestral. I like symphonic orchestras, because I like how all of them go so well together. I listen to anywhere from medieval polyphony to modern orchestra. My favorite era to listen to is the romantic era. I also like solo piano.

I also like a few new recent things. I love Totalist music. Have you heard of the totalist movement?
Last edited by Jahe Davmwoem on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:38 pm

Jahe Davmwoem wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

You?

Classical Orchestral. I like symphonic orchestras, because I like how all of them go so well together. I listen to anywhere from medieval polyphony to modern orchestra. My favorite era to listen to is the romantic era. I also like solo piano.

I also like a few new recent things. I love Totalist music. Have you heard of the totalist movement?

Damn, I forgot to even mention my classical interests. Shows how far removed I've become from the world. I love the romantics, especially the Russians. Tchaikovsky's stuff is my favorite -- I don't think anyone's quite captured the same level of emotion before or since, though a few have come very close.

Can't say I'm familiar with Totalism, though.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Jahe Davmwoem
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jahe Davmwoem » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:42 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Jahe Davmwoem wrote:

You?

Damn, I forgot to even mention my classical interests. Shows how far removed I've become from the world. I love the romantics, especially the Russians. Tchaikovsky's stuff is my favorite -- I don't think anyone's quite captured the same level of emotion before or since, though a few have come very close.

I am very connected to Tchaikovsky. He helped me through some rough times.

Totalism is very interesting. It looks to combine serialism and minimalism almost. A definition I found states "The term totalist refers to the aims of the music, in trying to have enough surface rhythmic energy, but also to contain enough background complexity."

The posterchild of this movement is Become Ocean by John Luther Adams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGva1NVWRXk&t=123s

Also, music critic Alex Ross wrote a very interesting article on the piece. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGva1NVWRXk&t=123s

Jahe Davmwoem
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jahe Davmwoem » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:43 pm

Myuostii wrote:Ok, this is a little off, but does anyone know about/is interested in/plays microtonal music or has an instrument capable of microtonal sounds?

Yea! A composer I like named Lou Harrison worked a lot with Microtones.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:45 pm

Jahe Davmwoem wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

Totalism is very interesting. It looks to combine serialism and minimalism almost. A definition I found states "The term totalist refers to the aims of the music, in trying to have enough surface rhythmic energy, but also to contain enough background complexity."

Also, music critic Alex Ross wrote a very interesting article on the piece. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGva1NVWRXk&t=123s

Ah, serialism and minimalism are both things of which I am not much of a fan, I'm afraid. I can appreciate their arms, but I just don't think they produce very good music most of the time.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Jahe Davmwoem
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jahe Davmwoem » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:47 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Jahe Davmwoem wrote:

Ah, serialism and minimalism are both things of which I am not much of a fan, I'm afraid. I can appreciate their arms, but I just don't think they produce very good music most of the time.

Both are categories that I feel you have to write very, VERY good to get any worth while results. Otherwise I will just write it off as someone who does not know what they are doing.

But Totalism is completely on its own. It combines aspects from both of them, but adds a lot.

Alosteq Diin Nastja
Minister

Founded: Oct 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Alosteq Diin Nastja » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:49 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Jahe Davmwoem wrote:

You?

Tchaikovsky's my favourite as well! Everything of his is fantastic, but my favourite pieces would have to be the 1812 Overture, Marche Slave, along with Danse Russe and Finale from Swan Lake.
☆ marxist-leninist ☆
hands off venezuela! solidarity with maduro!

Jahe Davmwoem
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jahe Davmwoem » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:50 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Jahe Davmwoem wrote:

Oh, sorry, it appears I posted the YouTube link twice on accident.

http://www.therestisnoise.com/2013/07/j ... ocean.html There is the link of the article lol

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:53 pm

Alosteq Diin Nastja wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

Tchaikovsky's my favourite as well! Everything of his is fantastic, but my favourite pieces would have to be the 1812 Overture, Marche Slave, along with Danse Russe and Finale from Swan Lake.

Symphony No 4 and String Quartet No 1 of his are my personal favorites.

I'm also a huge fan of "Extreme Make-Over" by Johann de Meij, which is sort of a love poem to Tchaikovsky's music. It takes the String Quartet No 1 theme and it goes some incredible places with it, way beyond just a normal theme and variations piece.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Jahe Davmwoem
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jahe Davmwoem » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:56 pm

Astrolinium wrote:

For the fourth of July, I was visiting with family friends in Colorado. The Colorado Springs Philharmonic puts on a concert outdoors, in a little town barley out of Pikes Peak. For the end for that concert every year, they perform 1812 overture. They had a local military base bring artillery for the cannon parts. It was one of the highlights of my musical life!

Alosteq Diin Nastja
Minister

Founded: Oct 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Alosteq Diin Nastja » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Alosteq Diin Nastja wrote:Tchaikovsky's my favourite as well! Everything of his is fantastic, but my favourite pieces would have to be the 1812 Overture, Marche Slave, along with Danse Russe and Finale from Swan Lake.

I'm also a huge fan of "Extreme Make-Over" by Johann de Meij, which is sort of a love poem to Tchaikovsky's music. It takes the String Quartet No 1 theme and it goes some incredible places with it, way beyond just a normal theme and variations piece.

I really enjoyed that piece. I'm a sucker for powerful brass in general, and that was just great.

Jahe Davmwoem wrote:
Alosteq Diin Nastja wrote:Tchaikovsky's my favourite as well! Everything of his is fantastic, but my favourite pieces would have to be the 1812 Overture, Marche Slave, along with Danse Russe and Finale from Swan Lake.

For the fourth of July, I was visiting with family friends in Colorado. The Colorado Springs Philharmonic puts on a concert outdoors, in a little town barley out of Pikes Peak. For the end for that concert every year, they perform 1812 overture. They had a local military base bring artillery for the cannon parts. It was one of the highlights of my musical life!

Ugh, so lucky! I would love to see the Overture performed with cannons in person! I know my own local orchestra does it every year, but I don't know if they do it with cannons. I'm planning on going this 4 July to see them, though.
☆ marxist-leninist ☆
hands off venezuela! solidarity with maduro!

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:19 pm

Astrolinium wrote:

I really enjoyed that piece. I'm a sucker for powerful brass in general, and that was just great.

I love it. We played an arrangement of it for part of our show in marching band junior year and it was a blast. It's what got me interested in brass band music -- I ended up doing one of the community's youth brass bands my senior year because of it.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:36 am

I was trying to be a professional musician once upon a time. Got as far as an AA in music before I found a sillier degree to get.

I do from time to time fall back on my saxophone...oh, I play sax...which I kind of find amusing because I kept being told I should get something to fall back on when I was studying music. Take that guidance counselor.

Actually this weekend because work hasn't picked back up yet and I haven't had work in too long I tried busking for the first time. I live near my city's 'downtown' where there's a lot of street performers including a pair of dancing robots and a guy who beat boxes with a sampler repeating thing I forgot the name of that allows him to layer his sounds.

My reed should have been replaced like two 'you should replace your reeds' ago, I'm out of practice, and I don't have enough songs memorized and my jaw wore out quickly. I always started late and got less than prime spots while traffic was dying down. I didn't break the bank and I beat minimum wage. People were more or less nice or at least indifferent to me. I kind of enjoyed it, and I got to buy groceries to get me to my day job's paycheck.

Previously I taught sax to make the money to move here in the first place. Even had some of my students form a sax quartet. I think I might have liked it more than them, and I didn't even play in it.

I did help my brother film a few tutorials for guitar, he's a professional music teacher full time (guitar, piano, clarinet, drums...I might be forgetting some) and lead guitarist in a famous biker blues band. Neither of us knew that was a category until he joined, but he plays a regular gig at Sturgis every year and for the Hell's Angels in Russia. Kinda nuts. He's the one that does all the writing and performing etc.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Octan
Civilian

Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Me

Postby Octan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:25 am

I play piano and flute. I also write classical music and enjoy movie music and scores. JOHN WILLIAMS IS THE BEST.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction