NATION

PASSWORD

The Skyrim/Elder Scrolls thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your favorite Skyrim hold?

Whiterun
25%
Hjaalmarch (Morthal)
3%
Falkreath
10%
The Pale (Dawnstar)
3%
The Reach (Markarth)
14%
Haafingar (Solitude)
15%
Eastmarch (Windhelm)
6%
Winterhold
6%
The Rift (Riften)
18%

Total votes : 310

Pilarcraft
Senator

Founded: Dec 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Pilarcraft » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:50 am

Ism wrote:
Pilarcraft wrote:they're not going to be reaching it. Their end-goals are just 180 degrees the oposite of that of the Ayleids, and they're predictably methodological in their approach to their goal, if nothing else.

Are you agreeing that the Altmer haven’t been as sadistic as the Ayleids? Because that was the only point I was making here.

yes. But I still maintain that "Let's return world back to the Dawn Era because something something stolen divinity something something stupid men" vs,"BWAH HAH HAH HAH HA!!!!!" is not a fair competition.
The Confederal Alliance of Pilarcraft ✺ That world will cease to be
Led by The Triumvirate.
OOC | Military | History |Language | Overview | Parties | Q&A | Factbooks
Proud Civic Persian Nationalist
B.P.D.: Dossier on parallel home-worlds released, will be updated regularly to include more encountered in the Convergence.

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:13 am

Pilarcraft wrote:
Ism wrote:
Are you agreeing that the Altmer haven’t been as sadistic as the Ayleids? Because that was the only point I was making here.

yes. But I still maintain that "Let's return world back to the Dawn Era because something something stolen divinity something something stupid men" vs,"BWAH HAH HAH HAH HA!!!!!" is not a fair competition.

It’s as if elves are always written around tropes.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Ism
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ism » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:25 am

Pilarcraft wrote:
Ism wrote:

I can agree with that, to an extent. The Ayleids at their worst really were cartoon villains.

Zanera
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:03 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Zanera wrote:
Skyrim erected Refugee's Rest when the Dunmer started fleeing Vvardenfell. It's a pile of crap now, but so is something as important as Whiterun's defensive walls, so I'll let Skyrim off the hook for that since they're not in the best of times.

Still going to go off Ulfric though.

Flow of trade is more secure that way. Valenwood's other option is the Summerset Isles, but I despise the Altmer very, very heartily. They're complete and utter cunts when an Empire isn't ruling them. Fucking Altmer.

I think that was more of a rest-stop than any kind of real settlement. Otherwise the Dunmer wouldn't be squatting in Windhelm with their Morrowind-away-from-Morrowind.

I prefer Ulfric to the Empire under pretty much all circumstances tbh.

Yes, that's not surprising that you hate them. But Valenwood was a powerhouse when they were independent (almost a multi-province conquering one), I don't think they're so dependent on the Empire for their strength (and I'd say this about pretty much every province). It should be noted, however, that while the Thalmor were pulling the strings it was primarily Bosmer who overthrew the Imperial governorship. Of course that just played into the hands of the Dominion, but it goes to show that they don't care for Imperial rule either.

I'm just siding with the Empire now to destroy every single Thalmor and their sympathizers later. The Empire can eat away at itself if it wants to after that.

Won't deny it's pretty easy sometimes to pull the strings of however many Bosmer in Valenwood to your definite advantage, and that it happened with the Third AD. Those Bosmer are probably dead now because of the purges.

If you speak of the Camoran Usurper, there are tales of undead and Daedra in his armies. Even if it's not entirely true, there was mainly just a bunch of mercenaries (Redguard/Bosmer) in his army, and Valenwood didn't like the dude too much in the end.
Valenwood might be able to get its shit together, like the starting years of the Five Year War with the Khajit, but I don't think it'd go for much conquest. I think the Wild Hunt against King Borgas that sent Skyrim into a civil war for half a century symbolizes Bosmeri foreign policy when it comes to war.
Last edited by Zanera on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:18 pm

Zanera wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
I think that was more of a rest-stop than any kind of real settlement. Otherwise the Dunmer wouldn't be squatting in Windhelm with their Morrowind-away-from-Morrowind.

I prefer Ulfric to the Empire under pretty much all circumstances tbh.

Yes, that's not surprising that you hate them. But Valenwood was a powerhouse when they were independent (almost a multi-province conquering one), I don't think they're so dependent on the Empire for their strength (and I'd say this about pretty much every province). It should be noted, however, that while the Thalmor were pulling the strings it was primarily Bosmer who overthrew the Imperial governorship. Of course that just played into the hands of the Dominion, but it goes to show that they don't care for Imperial rule either.

I'm just siding with the Empire now to destroy every single Thalmor and their sympathizers later. The Empire can eat away at itself if it wants to after that.

Won't deny it's pretty easy sometimes to pull the strings of however many Bosmer in Valenwood to your definite advantage, and that it happened with the Third AD. Those Bosmer are probably dead now because of the purges.

If you speak of the Camoran Usurper, there are tales of undead and Daedra in his armies. Even if it's not entirely true, there was mainly just a bunch of mercenaries (Redguard/Bosmer) in his army, and Valenwood didn't like the dude too much in the end.
Valenwood might be able to get its shit together, like the starting years of the Five Year War with the Khajit, but I don't think it'd go for much conquest. I think the Wild Hunt against King Borgas that sent Skyrim into a civil war for half a century symbolizes Bosmeri foreign policy when it comes to war.

I'm really curious as to the nature of the Valenwood purges by the Aldmeri Dominion, I mean I can certainly guess, but if it's merely "muh purity" then why are the Khajiit on their side?

My point is not that Valenwood should go on another conquering spree, but rather if it's capable of that, it's capable of maintaining itself as a state on its own.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Pilarcraft
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pilarcraft » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:26 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Zanera wrote:

I'm really curious as to the nature of the Valenwood purges by the Aldmeri Dominion, I mean I can certainly guess, but if it's merely "muh purity" then why are the Khajiit on their side?

My point is not that Valenwood should go on another conquering spree, but rather if it's capable of that, it's capable of maintaining itself as a state on its own.

to be fair, from the stuff we see in Skyrim itself, while their end goal is the destruction of man as a concept (and, secondarily, reseting time back to the Dawn Era... somehow... by destroying Talos and the linear time), it's clear that they aren't really picky about who helps them (Gissur in the Embassy, for example. And I have a theory Heimskr is a Thalmor spy, but I digress)
I think the purges were more political, similar to the stuff they did in the early Fourth Era as they consolidated themselves as the only power in Alinor itself (See, the disappearance of Artaeum, the purges, and the sudden political popularity of the Thalmor)
Led by The Triumvirate.
B.P.D.: Dossier on parallel home-worlds released, will be updated regularly to include more encountered in the Convergence.

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:42 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Zanera wrote:

I think all we get is a mention of the purges by Delphine explaining Malborn's motives to help you in Diplomatic Immunity. They killed his family, and I'm guessing the purges are for political reasons since Malborn would have his family's blood of course, so he would have been purged too if it was for racial purity. The Thalmor does have the Night of Green Fire, where they killed dissident Altmer refugees. I think the Thalmor are as much political as they are batshit crazy.
As for the Khajit, do you know if the TAD even had Khajiti troops in the Great War? As far as I know the Thalmor fooled the Khajit with the Void Nights and then split them up into the two client kingdoms to keep them complacent or something.

IDK about Bosmeri unity. King Eplear uniting it is put alongside other great military feats in Tamrielic history apparently. They can maybe get together again, definitively, if certain salad-eaters stay out of our business.
Last edited by Zanera on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:43 pm

Pilarcraft wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

to be fair, from the stuff we see in Skyrim itself, while their end goal is the destruction of man as a concept (and, secondarily, reseting time back to the Dawn Era... somehow... by destroying Talos and the linear time), it's clear that they aren't really picky about who helps them (Gissur in the Embassy, for example. And I have a theory Heimskr is a Thalmor spy, but I digress)
I think the purges were more political, similar to the stuff they did in the early Fourth Era as they consolidated themselves as the only power in Alinor itself (See, the disappearance of Artaeum, the purges, and the sudden political popularity of the Thalmor)

Their popularity, from what I understand, is due to the fact that the Thalmor played a major role in defeating the Oblivion Crisis in the Summerset Isles.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:47 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Pilarcraft wrote:to be fair, from the stuff we see in Skyrim itself, while their end goal is the destruction of man as a concept (and, secondarily, reseting time back to the Dawn Era... somehow... by destroying Talos and the linear time), it's clear that they aren't really picky about who helps them (Gissur in the Embassy, for example. And I have a theory Heimskr is a Thalmor spy, but I digress)

Their popularity, from what I understand, is due to the fact that the Thalmor played a major role in defeating the Oblivion Crisis in the Summerset Isles.

They claimed to have done something. Wouldn't put it past the Thalmor to be so low in their opportunism.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:50 pm

Zanera wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

They claimed to have done something. Wouldn't put it past the Thalmor to be so low in their opportunism.

It makes sense that they would have. Otherwise there really isn't an explanation for their popularity.

After all, being conquered by Daedra is against everyone's interests. And preserving the Altmer is most definitely in the Thalmor's interests.

Pilarcraft
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pilarcraft » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:55 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Zanera wrote:

It makes sense that they would have. Otherwise there really isn't an explanation for their popularity.

After all, being conquered by Daedra is against everyone's interests. And preserving the Altmer is most definitely in the Thalmor's interests.

yeah, but as far as I remember, their claim is that "The Thalmor Ended the Oblivion Crisis", not that "The Thalmor had a major role in defeating the Dremora Invasion of Summerset Isles during the Oblivion Crisis"
Led by The Triumvirate.

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:58 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Zanera wrote:

Might be true. We kinda get the crumbs when it comes to this stuff. I'm perhaps too influenced by Rising Threat. It's obviously biased but the account seems moving.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:58 pm

Pilarcraft wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

yeah, but as far as I remember, their claim is that "The Thalmor Ended the Oblivion Crisis", not that "The Thalmor had a major role in defeating the Dremora Invasion of Summerset Isles during the Oblivion Crisis"

Oh, well if that is the case then that is bullshit.

I didn't fight through all those Daedra for nothing >:[

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:03 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Pilarcraft wrote:yeah, but as far as I remember, their claim is that "The Thalmor Ended the Oblivion Crisis", not that "The Thalmor had a major role in defeating the Dremora Invasion of Summerset Isles during the Oblivion Crisis"

Oh, well if that is the case then that is bullshit.

I didn't fight through all those Daedra for nothing >:[

All those mundane repetitive-as-fuck Oblivion Portals that I liked to get lost in. Worst place to get lost ever. Never went into one unless a quest required it, or it was in such a inconvenient place that I had to make sure it went bye-bye for the sake of convenience.

At least I got to watch a fiery dragon aspect of a god beat up a giant four-armed demon god.
Yep. Worth it.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:59 am

I should get into elder scrolls IV, I see.

Alright, I am strongly considering buying a new HD and a VR headset for skyrim VR. Anybody else?
The Blaatschapen should resign

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:06 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:I should get into elder scrolls IV, I see.

Alright, I am strongly considering buying a new HD and a VR headset for skyrim VR. Anybody else?

To be honest I don’t think Oblivion holds up that well, and those epic climatic moments in Bethesda titles are never as cool in game as they sound.

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:18 am

The first Galactic Republic wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:I should get into elder scrolls IV, I see.

To be honest I don’t think Oblivion holds up that well, and those epic climatic moments in Bethesda titles are never as cool in game as they sound.

It certainly has a better story than Skyrim does.

The Grene Knyght
Minister

Founded: May 07, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Grene Knyght » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:20 am

San Lumen wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:To be honest I don’t think Oblivion holds up that well, and those epic climatic moments in Bethesda titles are never as cool in game as they sound.

I also preferred the setting, too.
[_★_]
(◕‿◕)
Socialist Women wrote:Part of the reason you're an anarchist is because you ate too much expired food
Claorica wrote:Oh look, an antifa ancom being smartaleck
Old Tyrannia wrote:Bold words from the self-declared Leninist
Currently
Reading
2015: x=-8.75,y=-6.56
2016: x=-8.88,y=-9.54
2017: x=-9.63,y=-9.90
2018: x=-9.88,y=-9.23
2019: x=-10.0,y=-9.90
2020: x=-10.0,y=-10.0
2021: x=-10.0,y=-10.0

PRO: Socialism, Communism, Internationalism, Revolution, Leninism.
NEUTRAL: Anarchism, Marxism-Leninism.
ANTI: Capitalism, Liberalism, Nationalism, Fascists, Hyper-Sectarian Leftists.
Portal Nationalist | Proletarian Moralist

Pilarcraft
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pilarcraft » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:23 am

San Lumen wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:To be honest I don’t think Oblivion holds up that well, and those epic climatic moments in Bethesda titles are never as cool in game as they sound.

Idk. Skyrim's Main story, while extemely faulty, is still superior to Oblivion's imo. But in the Side Quests and Faction Storylines, Oblivion definitely takes the cake.
Led by The Triumvirate.

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:25 am

The Grene Knyght wrote:
San Lumen wrote:It certainly has a better story than Skyrim does.

I also preferred the setting, too.

I don’t know. Cyrodiil is pretty bland and generic in Oblivion.

On the other hand it’s an interesting contrast between some of the other settings in the game. A lot of the dungeons are underground, Oblivion gates are opening everywhere, and of course there’s the settings of the DLC. At first glance the land seems uninteresting and calm, but dig deeper and you’ll find that there’s something very wrong with it.

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Postby San Lumen » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:30 am

Pilarcraft wrote:
San Lumen wrote:It certainly has a better story than Skyrim does.

Idk. Skyrim's Main story, while extemely faulty, is still superior to Oblivion's imo. But in the Side Quests and Faction Storylines, Oblivion definitely takes the cake.

I disagree Oblivion's is superior

Pilarcraft
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pilarcraft » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:33 am

San Lumen wrote:
Pilarcraft wrote:Idk. Skyrim's Main story, while extemely faulty, is still superior to Oblivion's imo. But in the Side Quests and Faction Storylines, Oblivion definitely takes the cake.

I disagree Oblivion's is superior

meh. As far as I'm concerned, Oblivion isn't really special in any way. well, apart from for Faction Questlines. they're superior to Skyrim and Morrowind in every way. in Main Story, Skyrim comes second to Morrowind (and only because its story is faulty to an extreme. if the bugs were thought-out it'd be better than Morrowind too imo) and the setting? please, give me Skyrim to Cyrodiil any day.
Led by The Triumvirate.

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Postby San Lumen » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:34 am

Pilarcraft wrote:
San Lumen wrote:I disagree Oblivion's is superior

meh. As far as I'm concerned, Oblivion isn't really special in any way. well, apart from for Faction Questlines. they're superior to Skyrim and Morrowind in every way. in Main Story, Skyrim comes second to Morrowind (and only because its story is faulty to an extreme. if the bugs were thought-out it'd be better than Morrowind too imo) and the setting? please, give me Skyrim to Cyrodiil any day.

The setting is amazing but the story of Skyrim is weak and has major flaws. We sort of discussed this in the Alduin discussion.

Pilarcraft
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pilarcraft » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:35 am

San Lumen wrote:
Pilarcraft wrote:meh. As far as I'm concerned, Oblivion isn't really special in any way. well, apart from for Faction Questlines. they're superior to Skyrim and Morrowind in every way. in Main Story, Skyrim comes second to Morrowind (and only because its story is faulty to an extreme. if the bugs were thought-out it'd be better than Morrowind too imo) and the setting? please, give me Skyrim to Cyrodiil any day.

The setting is amazing but the story of Skyrim is weak and has major flaws. We sort of discussed this in the Alduin discussion.

Yeah. The Story isn't as thought-out as Morrowind. but Imo it's still better than Oblivion's. (I do admit that it has so many issues and major flaws, but Imo it's not weak at all. but let's not start this debate again)
Led by The Triumvirate.

The Grene Knyght
Minister

Founded: May 07, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Grene Knyght » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:39 am

I think if the positions of Skyrim and Oblivion were reversed, and Skyrim were released in '06 and Oblivion in 2011, Oblivion would be hands down the better game. In fact, I think Oblivion would be the better game if they were released the same year, and benefited equally from tech advancements, smoother gameplay etc.
[_★_]
(◕‿◕)
Socialist Women wrote:Part of the reason you're an anarchist is because you ate too much expired food
Claorica wrote:Oh look, an antifa ancom being smartaleck
Old Tyrannia wrote:Bold words from the self-declared Leninist
Currently
Reading
2015: x=-8.75,y=-6.56
2016: x=-8.88,y=-9.54
2017: x=-9.63,y=-9.90
2018: x=-9.88,y=-9.23
2019: x=-10.0,y=-9.90
2020: x=-10.0,y=-10.0
2021: x=-10.0,y=-10.0

PRO: Socialism, Communism, Internationalism, Revolution, Leninism.
NEUTRAL: Anarchism, Marxism-Leninism.
ANTI: Capitalism, Liberalism, Nationalism, Fascists, Hyper-Sectarian Leftists.
Portal Nationalist | Proletarian Moralist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction