NATION

PASSWORD

The Skyrim/Elder Scrolls thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your favorite Skyrim hold?

Whiterun
25%
Hjaalmarch (Morthal)
3%
Falkreath
10%
The Pale (Dawnstar)
3%
The Reach (Markarth)
14%
Haafingar (Solitude)
15%
Eastmarch (Windhelm)
6%
Winterhold
6%
The Rift (Riften)
18%

Total votes : 310

Pilarcraft
Senator

Founded: Dec 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Pilarcraft » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:30 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Zanera wrote:
It was. Won't fuck High Rock up, though, as long as they learn to defend cities against bloody pirates.

And here I thought the whole point of the Empire and the Imperial Legion was to protect all those poor defenseless provincials :^)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The Legion? protecting provinces other than heartland cyrodiil?
The Confederal Alliance of Pilarcraft ✺ That world will cease to be
Led by The Triumvirate.
OOC | Military | History |Language | Overview | Parties | Q&A | Factbooks
Proud Civic Persian Nationalist
B.P.D.: Dossier on parallel home-worlds released, will be updated regularly to include more encountered in the Convergence.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:44 pm

Pilarcraft wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
And here I thought the whole point of the Empire and the Imperial Legion was to protect all those poor defenseless provincials :^)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The Legion? protecting provinces other than heartland cyrodiil?

Ikr? :P
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Zanera
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:51 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Zanera wrote:
It was. Won't fuck High Rock up, though, as long as they learn to defend cities against bloody pirates.

The Third AD is directly to the south/southwest of Cyrodiil, and the Great War just happened. The Empire won't really be focusing up north, where it's supposed to be more-or-less peaceful. Hard to anticipate someone letting pirates sack their city just to destroy a DB enclave. Twenty years later, more or less, and Skyrim has a major rebellion that needs put down, except now there's dragons coming back to life all across the motherfucker too.

It's a hard knock life when you also got a continent having its shit bashed 188 years ago by a Daedric Invasion and an insufficient Ocato. Titus Mede had to reconquer Leyawiin and Bravil shit was so deathly real.

Pilarcraft
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pilarcraft » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:06 pm

Zanera wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

The Third AD is directly to the south/southwest of Cyrodiil, and the Great War just happened. The Empire won't really be focusing up north, where it's supposed to be more-or-less peaceful. Hard to anticipate someone letting pirates sack their city just to destroy a DB enclave. Twenty years later, more or less, and Skyrim has a major rebellion that needs put down, except now there's dragons coming back to life all across the motherfucker too.

It's a hard knock life when you also got a continent having its shit bashed 188 years ago by a Daedric Invasion and an insufficient Ocato. Titus Mede had to reconquer Leyawiin and Bravil shit was so deathly real.

to be fair, the Mede Imperial Legions didn't do well protecting non-cyrodiil provinces even before the Great War. (Night of Green Fire anyone?)
Led by The Triumvirate.
B.P.D.: Dossier on parallel home-worlds released, will be updated regularly to include more encountered in the Convergence.

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:14 pm

Pilarcraft wrote:
Zanera wrote:

to be fair, the Mede Imperial Legions didn't do well protecting non-cyrodiil provinces even before the Great War. (Night of Green Fire anyone?)

The Crowns and Forebears had been fighting each other by the time of Titus Mede II. Probably why they couldn't get there in time in the case of the NoGF, because the Redguards wanted to kill each other.
Last edited by Zanera on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pilarcraft
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pilarcraft » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:18 pm

Zanera wrote:
Pilarcraft wrote:to be fair, the Mede Imperial Legions didn't do well protecting non-cyrodiil provinces even before the Great War. (Night of Green Fire anyone?)

The Crowns and Forebears had been fighting each other by the time of Titus Mede II. Probably why they couldn't get there in time in the case of the NoGF, because the Redguards wanted to kill each other.

how does this exactly make my statement that the Mede Legions have a very poor history of helping ppl outside cyrodiil wrong?
Led by The Triumvirate.

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:23 pm

Pilarcraft wrote:
Zanera wrote:

how does this exactly make my statement that the Mede Legions have a very poor history of helping ppl outside cyrodiil wrong?

Because it's hard to help people when a lot of other people want to kill each other and you have to stop them from doing so.

Plus, it was an attack by Thalmor agents. If anything, the Penitus Oculatus and the Blades should have intercepted that attack before it even happened, however, the Blades were left hanging. Thalmor subterfuge should be in the PO's and Blades' realm.
Last edited by Zanera on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pilarcraft
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pilarcraft » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:49 pm

Zanera wrote:
Pilarcraft wrote:how does this exactly make my statement that the Mede Legions have a very poor history of helping ppl outside cyrodiil wrong?

Because it's hard to help people when a lot of other people want to kill each other and you have to stop them from doing so.

a lot of people have wanted to kill each other during every imperial reign. The Other legions didn't seem to find that much of a hindrance. See the literal permanent civil war in High Rock. the fucking blight in Morrowind, constant and concurrent wars all over tamriel, most of which the Legions managed to handle. before the Medes.
Led by The Triumvirate.

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:33 am

Pilarcraft wrote:
Zanera wrote:

a lot of people have wanted to kill each other during every imperial reign. The Other legions didn't seem to find that much of a hindrance. See the literal permanent civil war in High Rock. the fucking blight in Morrowind, constant and concurrent wars all over tamriel, most of which the Legions managed to handle. before the Medes.

'High Rock was eventually brought into the Third Empire by Tiber Septim during the Tiber Wars. Still divided, some did unite to try to stop the Camoran Usurper, yet he was not stopped until the Baron of Dwynnen united the citizens of the Iliac Bay against him. The Bretons would not remain united, and went back to fighting one another, and those outside of High Rock, until they had to unite when the Nords reclaimed their land in the War of Bend'r-Mahk, when they fought the Redguards in the War of Betony, and when the Orcs resurrected Orsinium. However they would be united in The Miracle of Peace, also known as the Warp in the West, which is best described in the book of the same name. "The 'Miracle of Peace' is celebrated as the product of the miraculous interventions of Stendarr, Mara, and Akatosh to transform this troublesome region into peaceful, well-governed Imperial counties.'

'In 3E 427, the ruling powers of Morrowind, already weakened by questions of authority, were further threatened by the re-awakening of the Blight.'
'As the infections grew, the Empire laid down an embargo on wares from Vvardenfell, leading to some starvation and further isolation of the Dunmer on the island.'
'If the Ghostfence should fail, and hosts of blighted monsters were to spill out across Vvardenfell's towns and villages, the Empire might have no choice but to evacuate Vvardenfell district and abandon it to disease and corruption.'

Hm...I think I see your original point now, about the Legions and Cyrodiil. I'll cede then, but not before I throw in this Fourth Orsinium.
Last edited by Zanera on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pilarcraft
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pilarcraft » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:36 am

Zanera wrote:
Pilarcraft wrote:a lot of people have wanted to kill each other during every imperial reign. The Other legions didn't seem to find that much of a hindrance. See the literal permanent civil war in High Rock. the fucking blight in Morrowind, constant and concurrent wars all over tamriel, most of which the Legions managed to handle. before the Medes.

'High Rock was eventually brought into the Third Empire by Tiber Septim during the Tiber Wars. Still divided, some did unite to try to stop the Camoran Usurper, yet he was not stopped until the Baron of Dwynnen united the citizens of the Iliac Bay against him. The Bretons would not remain united, and went back to fighting one another, and those outside of High Rock, until they had to unite when the Nords reclaimed their land in the War of Bend'r-Mahk, when they fought the Redguards in the War of Betony, and when the Orcs resurrected Orsinium. However they would be united in The Miracle of Peace, also known as the Warp in the West, which is best described in the book of the same name. "The 'Miracle of Peace' is celebrated as the product of the miraculous interventions of Stendarr, Mara, and Akatosh to transform this troublesome region into peaceful, well-governed Imperial counties.'

'In 3E 427, the ruling powers of Morrowind, already weakened by questions of authority, were further threatened by the re-awakening of the Blight.'
'As the infections grew, the Empire laid down an embargo on wares from Vvardenfell, leading to some starvation and further isolation of the Dunmer on the island.'
'If the Ghostfence should fail, and hosts of blighted monsters were to spill out across Vvardenfell's towns and villages, the Empire might have no choice but to evacuate Vvardenfell district and abandon it to disease and corruption.'

Hm...I think I see your original point now, about the Legions and Cyrodiil. I'll cede then, but not before I throw in this Fourth Orsinium.

every day I spend in this Thread makes me hate the Empire and its legions more! :lol:
Led by The Triumvirate.

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:38 am

Pilarcraft wrote:
Zanera wrote:

every day I spend in this Thread makes me hate the Empire and its legions more! :lol:

What about those Legions that helped the Fourth Orsinium tho? They seem dope.

Pilarcraft
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pilarcraft » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:49 am

Zanera wrote:
Pilarcraft wrote:every day I spend in this Thread makes me hate the Empire and its legions more! :lol:

it's the principle I hate, not the individual.
(I just hate the idea of a Unified Empire. what I hate more is that, at least up until now, it's been necessary.)
Led by The Triumvirate.

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:57 am

Pilarcraft wrote:
Zanera wrote:

it's the principle I hate, not the individual.
(I just hate the idea of a Unified Empire. what I hate more is that, at least up until now, it's been necessary.)

I'm a Valenboy, and the way I see it is a unified Empire would bring a lot of materials into Valenwood that Valenwood can't get otherwise, and that trading is secure because Tamriel is under one government. Plus, we get virtually free protection from outsiders and inner Valenwood is kept more-or-less peaceful.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:00 am

Zanera wrote:
Pilarcraft wrote:a lot of people have wanted to kill each other during every imperial reign. The Other legions didn't seem to find that much of a hindrance. See the literal permanent civil war in High Rock. the fucking blight in Morrowind, constant and concurrent wars all over tamriel, most of which the Legions managed to handle. before the Medes.

One other thing (which particularly amuses me when people side with the Empire in the civil war particularly because of Dunmer minorities), is that the Empire did literally nothing when the Jarl of Winterhold forced all of the Dunmer out of the city (which apparently was a very substantial amount), and this was done while under the watch of Imperial rule.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:01 am

Zanera wrote:
Pilarcraft wrote:it's the principle I hate, not the individual.

I'm a Valenboy, and the way I see it is a unified Empire would bring a lot of materials into Valenwood that Valenwood can't get otherwise, and that trading is secure because Tamriel is under one government. Plus, we get virtually free protection from outsiders and inner Valenwood is kept more-or-less peaceful.

Trade doesn't exist without a One World Government?

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:11 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Zanera wrote:

One other thing (which particularly amuses me when people side with the Empire in the civil war particularly because of Dunmer minorities), is that the Empire did literally nothing when the Jarl of Winterhold forced all of the Dunmer out of the city (which apparently was a very substantial amount), and this was done while under the watch of Imperial rule.

Skyrim erected Refugee's Rest when the Dunmer started fleeing Vvardenfell. It's a pile of crap now, but so is something as important as Whiterun's defensive walls, so I'll let Skyrim off the hook for that since they're not in the best of times.

Still going to go off Ulfric though.

Salus Maior wrote:
Zanera wrote:

Flow of trade is more secure that way. Valenwood's other option is the Summerset Isles, but I despise the Altmer very, very heartily. They're complete and utter cunts when an Empire isn't ruling them. Fucking Altmer.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:21 am

Zanera wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Skyrim erected Refugee's Rest when the Dunmer started fleeing Vvardenfell. It's a pile of crap now, but so is something as important as Whiterun's defensive walls, so I'll let Skyrim off the hook for that since they're not in the best of times.

Salus Maior wrote:

Flow of trade is more secure that way. Valenwood's other option is the Summerset Isles, but I despise the Altmer very, very heartily. They're complete and utter cunts when an Empire isn't ruling them. Fucking Altmer.

I think that was more of a rest-stop than any kind of real settlement. Otherwise the Dunmer wouldn't be squatting in Windhelm with their Morrowind-away-from-Morrowind.

I prefer Ulfric to the Empire under pretty much all circumstances tbh.

Yes, that's not surprising that you hate them. But Valenwood was a powerhouse when they were independent (almost a multi-province conquering one), I don't think they're so dependent on the Empire for their strength (and I'd say this about pretty much every province). It should be noted, however, that while the Thalmor were pulling the strings it was primarily Bosmer who overthrew the Imperial governorship. Of course that just played into the hands of the Dominion, but it goes to show that they don't care for Imperial rule either.

Pilarcraft
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pilarcraft » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:22 am

Zanera wrote:I despise the Altmer very, very heartily. They're complete and utter cunts when an Empire isn't ruling them. Fucking Altmer.

they're complete and utter cunts when the empire's ruling them too
Led by The Triumvirate.

Ism
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ism » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:23 am

Zanera wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Salus Maior wrote:

It's important to remember that not all Altmer support the Thalmor and their policies and many are just regular people, with some actively oppose the Thalmor. And historically, the Altmer weren't all that much worse than the Chimer/Dunmer, and I'd say they weren't as bad as the Ayleids.

Pilarcraft
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pilarcraft » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:25 am

Ism wrote:
Zanera wrote:

It's important to remember that not all Altmer support the Thalmor and their policies and many are just regular people, with some actively oppose the Thalmor. And historically, the Altmer weren't all that much worse than the Chimer/Dunmer, and I'd say they weren't as bad as the Ayleids.

To be fair, If the Altmer had that level of influence (as in, city-states and controlled territories in the majority of the Provinces that form Tamriel) they'd be that horrible too. They definitely tried, using cool slogans like "we're older! we know better!!!". more than once too.
Led by The Triumvirate.

Ism
Negotiator

Postby Ism » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:42 am

Pilarcraft wrote:
Ism wrote:

To be fair, If the Altmer had that level of influence (as in, city-states and controlled territories in the majority of the Provinces that form Tamriel) they'd be that horrible too. They definitely tried, using cool slogans like "we're older! we know better!!!". more than once too.

Well, yeah, they’re mer. Most of the merish cultures have been oppressive and awful at one time or another. Bound to happen when you rule most of the continent for thousands of years, and that’s only exacerbated by their religious conflicts with men. However, I will not accept the claim that the Altmer would have done what the Ayleids did. The Ayleids’ sadism driven in part by Daedra worship, and so some of the cruelest and most vile practices would not be followed by the Altmer.

Pilarcraft
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pilarcraft » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:45 am

Ism wrote:
Pilarcraft wrote:To be fair, If the Altmer had that level of influence (as in, city-states and controlled territories in the majority of the Provinces that form Tamriel) they'd be that horrible too. They definitely tried, using cool slogans like "we're older! we know better!!!". more than once too.

Well, yeah, they’re mer. Most of the merish cultures have been oppressive and awful at one time or another. Bound to happen when you rule most of the continent for thousands of years, and that’s only exacerbated by their religious conflicts with men. However, I will not accept the claim that the Altmer would have done what the Ayleids did. The Ayleids’ sadism driven in part by Daedra worship, and so some of the cruelest and most vile practices would not be followed by the Altmer.

Yeah. because the Falmer breaking the Law of War (they literally worshipped the head of the et'ada) definitely didn't happen. or the Aldmeri genocide of the Bosmer.
Led by The Triumvirate.

Ism
Negotiator

Postby Ism » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:59 am

Pilarcraft wrote:
Ism wrote:

Yeah. because the Falmer breaking the Law of War (they literally worshipped the head of the et'ada) definitely didn't happen. or the Aldmeri genocide of the Bosmer.

Not sure what this “law of war” is, or what it has to do with their worshipping of Auri-El, or why the Falmer are relevant while discussing the Altmer. As for the purges, yeah it’s atrocious, and the Altmer, especially under the Thalmor, have done awful things. But Ayleids did worse, the manner of killings, what they did with the bodies and how what they treated they’re slaves were all worse than the purges because the Thalmor are doing this to secure power, the Ayleids did it for fun. Make no mistake, I’m not defending the Thalmor, I’m not absolving them of anything, I’m just pointing out that they have yet to reach the level of the Ayleids in terms of sadism.
Last edited by Ism on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pilarcraft
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pilarcraft » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:03 am

Ism wrote:
Pilarcraft wrote:Yeah. because the Falmer breaking the Law of War (they literally worshipped the head of the et'ada) definitely didn't happen. or the Aldmeri genocide of the Bosmer.

Not sure what this “law of war” is, or what it has to do with their worshipping of Auri-El, or why the Falmer are relevant while discussing the Altmer. As for the purges, yeah it’s atrocious, and the Altmer, especially under the Thalmor, have done awful things. But Ayleids did worse, the manner of killings, what they did with the bodies and how what they treated they’re slaves were all worse than the purges because the Thalmor are doing this to secure power, the Ayleids did it for fun. Make no mistake, I’m not defending the Thalmor, I’m not absolving them of anything, I’m just pointing out that they have yet to reach the level of the Ayleids in terms of sadism.

they're not going to be reaching it. Their end-goals are just 180 degrees the oposite of that of the Ayleids, and they're predictably methodological in their approach to their goal, if nothing else.
Led by The Triumvirate.

Ism
Negotiator

Postby Ism » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:38 am

Pilarcraft wrote:
Ism wrote:

they're not going to be reaching it. Their end-goals are just 180 degrees the oposite of that of the Ayleids, and they're predictably methodological in their approach to their goal, if nothing else.

Are you agreeing that the Altmer haven’t been as sadistic as the Ayleids? Because that was the only point I was making here.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction