NATION

PASSWORD

Metal Genre Music Discussion - Vol. 4

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

February is in the books. What is your most anticipated upcoming metal album of 2024?

Alcest - Les Chants De L'Aurore
20%
DragonForce - Warp Speed Warriors
No votes
High on Fire - Cometh the Storm
No votes
In Vain - Solemn
No votes
Judas Priest - Invincible Shield
40%
Knocked Loose - You Won’t Go Before You’re Supposed to
No votes
Rotting Christ - Pro Xristoy
20%
Unleash the Archers - Phantoma
No votes
Wintersun - Time II
20%
Other (Comment!)
No votes

Total votes : 5

Galborea
Minister

Founded: May 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Galborea » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:47 pm

Hurdergaryp wrote:
Galborea wrote:Oh boy, I'm encountering an absurd Slayer fan on Youtube who is not only an open white supremacist but truly believes it is "every true metalhead's purpose" to "kill hipster fags" who wear band shirts and that he has a right to attack someone in public if they do so. I can tell this guy has done nothing worthwhile with his life.

EDIT: And now he claims to be a 6-figure IT guy, which I guess is the new "you're talking to a Navy SEAL with 9 billion confirmed kills".

That was his previous career, no doubt. Wouldn't be surprised if that guy has issues.

No surprises at all. In all honesty, I think I've seen more proof of stereotypes in the metal community than most other groups of culture.

Aaaand he's a Paul Baloff fanboy. No surprises.
Last edited by Galborea on Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kolmya
Minister

Founded: Dec 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kolmya » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:14 pm

The top review for Significant Other has to be a troll. "The album is not that mainstream!" "If you compare this against music today!" "This is real music! Live with it!"
Galborea wrote:We are the Doomfags of Troubled Candlebride Reverence.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Galborea wrote:Oh boy, I'm encountering an absurd Slayer fan on Youtube who is not only an open white supremacist but truly believes it is "every true metalhead's purpose" to "kill hipster fags" who wear band shirts and that he has a right to attack someone in public if they do so. I can tell this guy has done nothing worthwhile with his life.

EDIT: And now he claims to be a 6-figure IT guy, which I guess is the new "you're talking to a Navy SEAL with 9 billion confirmed kills".

did the comment get deleted? I cant find it
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Galborea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Galborea » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:53 am

Impaled Nazarene wrote:

did the comment get deleted? I cant find it

Not on one of my videos.

Galborea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Galborea » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:42 am

In my Deathwish blind buy (just uploaded to my channel) I got Sunbather. Have we moved on from hating on that album now?

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:47 am

I got all my patches on my jacket, and I'm working on putting in rivets now. 15mm spikes.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

Galborea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Galborea » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:50 am

The New Sea Territory wrote:I got all my patches on my jacket, and I'm working on putting in rivets now. 15mm spikes.

I only have 3 patches: Black Dahlia Murder, Cannibal Corpse, and Napalm Death.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:53 am

Galborea wrote:In my Deathwish blind buy (just uploaded to my channel) I got Sunbather. Have we moved on from hating on that album now?

I find it meh, but I never hated it. I even liked it at one point, then just couldn't find it interesting on a second listen.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:25 am

Corrian wrote:
Galborea wrote:In my Deathwish blind buy (just uploaded to my channel) I got Sunbather. Have we moved on from hating on that album now?

I find it meh, but I never hated it. I even liked it at one point, then just couldn't find it interesting on a second listen.

Same. Never hated it, just thought it was somewhat boring and overhyped. It's cool that you got an album you like though. Get any other cool things?

The New Sea Territory wrote:I got all my patches on my jacket, and I'm working on putting in rivets now. 15mm spikes.

Awesome! \m/

Maybe someday I'll actually start a jacket... someday. When I have the money to get the patches I'd want and make it look good.
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

Cadonica
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 19, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:30 am

I've never even listened to Sunbather and I'm not one of those who hate on albums without listening to them first.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.
That's what they said:Once you go black metal...

That's what I said:
That Finnish bastard. ~2011
Sleeping is overrated. ~2012
I'm only gay with females. ~2013
Wings are sexy and you know it! ~2013.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:14 pm

Galborea wrote:

I only have 3 patches: Black Dahlia Murder, Cannibal Corpse, and Napalm Death.

I have a Cannibal Corpse one, too. It's pretty nice. Just the band logo in red, but high quality.

I have Bathory's "Hammerheart" backpatch, full color, which looks amazing.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:15 pm

Cosumar wrote:
Corrian wrote:I find it meh, but I never hated it. I even liked it at one point, then just couldn't find it interesting on a second listen.

Same. Never hated it, just thought it was somewhat boring and overhyped. It's cool that you got an album you like though. Get any other cool things?

Awesome! \m/

Maybe someday I'll actually start a jacket... someday. When I have the money to get the patches I'd want and make it look good.

Patches are cheap, usually. Backpatches can get a little expensive, but go on Etsy and you can find just about anything. I found great Aus-Rotten and Minor Threat patches on there.

Kolmya
Minister

Founded: Dec 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kolmya » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:07 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote:
Galborea wrote:I only have 3 patches: Black Dahlia Murder, Cannibal Corpse, and Napalm Death.

I have a Cannibal Corpse one, too. It's pretty nice. Just the band logo in red, but high quality.

I have Bathory's "Hammerheart" backpatch, full color, which looks amazing.

I have a Hammerheart shirt. I'll make a jacket someday.
Also this would have been great if the latter two solos weren't included.
Last edited by Kolmya on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Galborea wrote:We are the Doomfags of Troubled Candlebride Reverence.

Cadonica
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 19, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:27 am

Walking home from grocery store doesn't seem kvlt at first. But then this starts to play.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.
That's what they said:Once you go black metal...

That's what I said:
That Finnish bastard. ~2011
Sleeping is overrated. ~2012
I'm only gay with females. ~2013
Wings are sexy and you know it! ~2013.

Galborea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Galborea » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:54 am

So apparently Aleah left a lot of poems and other writings behind. Tomi Joutsen from Amorphis and Juha Raivio from Swallow the Sun (who was Aleah's partner and guitarist in Trees of Eternity) have started a new project called Hallatar in which they're putting her work to music.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:30 pm

A new Ancst album came out, and Культура Курения (Smoking Culture) released a new split album. Found these on bandcamp today.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:40 pm

So looks like i'm writing my social psychology paper on the Norwegian Black Circle.
"Helvete and the Svarte Sirkel (Hell and the Black Circle)" is the working title.
Anarchist

Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:40 pm

Impaled Nazarene wrote:So looks like i'm writing my social psychology paper on the Norwegian Black Circle.
"Helvete and the Svarte Sirkel (Hell and the Black Circle)" is the working title.

Nice.

Is the paper just a description of the scene or more analytical/critical?

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:44 pm

Impaled Nazarene wrote:So looks like i'm writing my social psychology paper on the Norwegian Black Circle.

Nice.

its 10 pages long so i'll be doing a lot of detail. The worst part will be finding enough sources. Since wikipedia and documentaries on youtube aren't exactly APA friendly.
Anarchist

Galborea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Galborea » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:24 pm

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Nice.

its 10 pages long so i'll be doing a lot of detail. The worst part will be finding enough sources. Since wikipedia and documentaries on youtube aren't exactly APA friendly.

Good luck with that.

Sunstruck
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sunstruck » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:25 pm

Cadonica wrote:Walking home from grocery store doesn't seem kvlt at first. But then this starts to play.

Great
epic

Galborea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Galborea » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:04 am

If you guys thought Suicide Silence was shit before...they still are. But their new album is even worse.

Sunstruck
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sunstruck » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:30 am

Galborea wrote:If you guys thought Suicide Silence was shit before...they still are. But their new album is even worse.

You actually listened to it (if it's out yet I can't check at school)? Wow, you're brave.
epic

Galborea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Galborea » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:32 am

Sunstruck wrote:
Galborea wrote:If you guys thought Suicide Silence was shit before...they still are. But their new album is even worse.

You actually listened to it (if it's out yet I can't check at school)? Wow, you're brave.

I promised to review it because I know it'll get shittons of views and I was in a very self-loathing mood. So yeah, it's a shitty half-assed attempt to be a Deftones/Korn throwback.

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:03 am

Green Carnation is amazing and beautiful
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

PreviousNext