NATION

PASSWORD

Which Anime are you watching or have watched recently IV?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:55 pm

Haven't watched anything the past few months because all I do is work and sleep and have zero time to do anything else. And even if I had the time, everything airing this season is harem ecchi garbage or just looks plain boring. I have some stuff on my Plan to Watch list, but it's mostly 'middle-of-the-road' stuff. Not sure how tolerated that stuff if around here anymore.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:06 pm

Torisakia wrote:Haven't watched anything the past few months because all I do is work and sleep and have zero time to do anything else. And even if I had the time, everything airing this season is harem ecchi garbage or just looks plain boring. I have some stuff on my Plan to Watch list, but it's mostly 'middle-of-the-road' stuff. Not sure how tolerated that stuff if around here anymore.

Plan to watch:
>ChäoS;HEAd
No. Just no. That is a bad idea. Although I highly recommend playing the VN*, the show should be avoided at all cost.

*Which you will need to "acquire" because the english version is a fan TL due to the game never getting an official US release. Although if you do play the VN you may want to wait a bit. Some people I know are part of a fan TL group working on Chaos;Head Noah (Which can be regarded as a sort of "directors cut" of the VN) and they might release later this year. C;H Noah would also need to be "acquired" as its seen as too old for an English release.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:18 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Torisakia wrote:Haven't watched anything the past few months because all I do is work and sleep and have zero time to do anything else. And even if I had the time, everything airing this season is harem ecchi garbage or just looks plain boring. I have some stuff on my Plan to Watch list, but it's mostly 'middle-of-the-road' stuff. Not sure how tolerated that stuff if around here anymore.

Plan to watch:
>ChäoS;HEAd
No. Just no. That is a bad idea. Although I highly recommend playing the VN*, the show should be avoided at all cost.

*Which you will need to "acquire" because the english version is a fan TL due to the game never getting an official US release. Although if you do play the VN you may want to wait a bit. Some people I know are part of a fan TL group working on Chaos;Head Noah (Which can be regarded as a sort of "directors cut" of the VN) and they might release later this year. C;H Noah would also need to be "acquired" as its seen as too old for an English release.

Playing the VN will take too long. I'll take the shorter route. If the anime is as bad as you say it is, that means it's still better than what's airing now. And that's all I'm looking for.
Last edited by Torisakia on Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:32 pm

Torisakia wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Plan to watch:
>ChäoS;HEAd

Playing the VN will take too long. I'll take the shorter route. If the anime is as bad as you say it is, that means it's still better than what's airing now. And that's all I'm looking for.

It's not better than what's airing now. I'm wondering why you would think a show that "should be avoided at all costs" translates to "better than the current season". Everything airing now is miles better than C;H. C;H is irredeemably bad.
As for watching it instead of playing the VN. The show is a terrible adaptation. And no that's not the only reason the show is bad. Judged on its own merits the show fails everywhere from the animation to the story. If you don't want to play the VN, skip C;H entirely.
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:43 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Torisakia wrote:Playing the VN will take too long. I'll take the shorter route. If the anime is as bad as you say it is, that means it's still better than what's airing now. And that's all I'm looking for.

It's not better than what's airing now. I'm wondering why you would think a show that "should be avoided at all costs" translates to "better than the current season". Everything airing now is miles better than C;H. C;H is irredeemably bad.
As for watching it instead of playing the VN. The show is a terrible adaptation. And no that's not the only reason the show is bad. Judged on its own merits the show fails everywhere from the animation to the story. If you don't want to play the VN, skip C;H entirely.

Also, the current season is actually pretty decent, so it's already leagues better than C;H.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:52 pm

The Corparation wrote:Everything airing now is miles better than C;H

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

Now you're just making me want to watch it more. I'll take my chances. I've seen just about the worst of the worst the medium has to offer. If it's really that bad, it's no skin off my bones.

Latest Headlines

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:50 pm

Torisakia wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Everything airing now is miles better than C;H

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

Now you're just making me want to watch it more. I'll take my chances. I've seen just about the worst of the worst the medium has to offer. If it's really that bad, it's no skin off my bones.

Hasn't seen: School Days, Gundam Seed Destiny, Diabolik Lovers, Chaos;Head, or Mars of Destruction.

Claims to have seen the worst of the worst that anime has to offer.

Yeah, no.
Last edited by New haven america on Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Las Palmeras
Minister

Founded: Jun 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:03 pm

New haven america wrote:
Torisakia wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

Hasn't seen: School Days, Gundam Seed Destiny, Diabolik Lovers, Chaos;Head, or Mars of Destruction.

Yeah, no.

I'd add Master of Martial Hearts and Eiken to that list.
Hey hey, LP here: Too burnt out with this nation to make new lore or fix macrohistorical longue durée alt-his inconsistencies, too clingy to let it die.
UPHOLD SOUTH REINISM-LENINISM! UNLIMITED DESTRUCTION OF 1ST WORLD HETERRHOIDS!

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:04 pm

Las Palmeras wrote:
New haven america wrote:Hasn't seen: School Days, Gundam Seed Destiny, Diabolik Lovers, Chaos;Head, or Mars of Destruction.

Yeah, no.

Eh, that's fanservice shlock... but sure, why not? On the list they go.
Last edited by New haven america on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Las Palmeras
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:26 pm

New haven america wrote:
Las Palmeras wrote:

Eh, that's fanservice shlock... but sure, why not? On the list they go.

Now that I think of it I feel a little weird. I'm no prude, at best I'm apathetic towards fanservice most of the time. I dislike the first one because it mixes fanservice with too much violence and I was expecting just fanservice. But if the shock value is the point of it, I tend to let it slide. I loved Midori the Camelia Girl, as deprived as it may sound. And the Mai Chan's Daily Life manga did make me chuckle.
Hey hey, LP here: Too burnt out with this nation to make new lore or fix macrohistorical longue durée alt-his inconsistencies, too clingy to let it die.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:34 pm

Las Palmeras wrote:
New haven america wrote:Eh, that's fanservice shlock... but sure, why not? On the list they go.

Now that I think of it I feel a little weird. I'm no prude, at best I'm apathetic towards fanservice most of the time. I dislike the first one because it mixes fanservice with too much violence and I was expecting just fanservice. But if the shock value is the point of it, I tend to let it slide. I loved Midori the Camelia Girl, as deprived as it may sound. And the Mai Chan's Daily Life manga did make me chuckle.

Oh, I know about MoMH's ending, so it can go on the list.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Mon May 01, 2017 1:00 pm

New haven america wrote:
Torisakia wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

Yeah, no.

You merely adopted the shittiness. I was born in it. Molded by it.

And I do a more thorough analyzation of what I watch, and not just base it on "it didn't end the way I wanted. 0/10" like 100% of the anime community does. But the medium has gone to shit anyway. So it doesn't really matter what's "good" and what isn't.

Latest Headlines

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Mon May 01, 2017 4:16 pm

Torisakia wrote:
New haven america wrote:Hasn't seen: School Days, Gundam Seed Destiny, Diabolik Lovers, Chaos;Head, or Mars of Destruction.

Yeah, no.

You merely adopted the shittiness. I was born in it. Molded by it.

And I do a more thorough analyzation of what I watch, and not just base it on "it didn't end the way I wanted. 0/10" like 100% of the anime community does. But the medium has gone to shit anyway. So it doesn't really matter what's "good" and what isn't.

Inb4 this thread is just who's seen the shittiest anime.

In any case, I watched a few eps of Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor, and it's dumb. Really dumb. Pure generic magic high school schlock, with the most outrageous school 'uniform' I've ever seen (and also the best uniforms if you know what I mean ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ), but it's at least entertainingly dumb. Also some actually kinda interesting worldbuilding I enjoyed. I'll probably watch it on and off as gifs remind me that it's a thing.

Vigilante justice
Attaché

Founded: Feb 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Vigilante justice » Mon May 01, 2017 4:20 pm

I've noticed no-one's been discussing the new season of attack on titan, like at all. What's with that?
FYI I don't roleplay as batman. You'd be surprised at the amount of people who typically think that.
I am the night.

Who needs politics when you have good morals? - Probably a president

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Mon May 01, 2017 4:41 pm

Vigilante justice wrote:I've noticed no-one's been discussing the new season of attack on titan, like at all. What's with that?

Attack on Titan stopped being good after the beginning
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon May 01, 2017 6:01 pm

Lubyak wrote:
Torisakia wrote:You merely adopted the shittiness. I was born in it. Molded by it.

I watched a few minutes of this once.

Las Palmeras
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Mon May 01, 2017 6:18 pm

..."Visual terrorism"...

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon May 01, 2017 6:19 pm

Vigilante justice wrote:I've noticed no-one's been discussing the new season of attack on titan, like at all. What's with that?

Give it next episode. Cause they are fixing to arrive at one of the most boss parts of the whole manga.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

The Northern Glacial Borderlands
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 13, 2016
Anarchy

Postby The Northern Glacial Borderlands » Mon May 01, 2017 6:20 pm

Unless Avatar counts...

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon May 01, 2017 6:22 pm

The Northern Glacial Borderlands wrote:Unless Avatar counts...

Technically no. But the thread died after Korra ended, so people talk about it here.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Las Palmeras
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Mon May 01, 2017 6:24 pm

The Northern Glacial Borderlands wrote:Unless Avatar counts...

I've seen a Chinese-produced cartoon drawn by Japanese and ask the same thing.

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Mon May 01, 2017 7:07 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Lubyak wrote:

I watched a few minutes of this once.

God I miss demo's anime videos.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Mon May 01, 2017 10:41 pm

Lubyak wrote:

God I miss demo's anime videos.

He will never return...
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Tue May 02, 2017 1:45 am

New haven america wrote:
Mad hatters in jeans wrote:Why do you think that?

Because Japanese companies tend to make stupid business decisions.

"Oh the masses really like this product/movie/show we made? Why don't we just stop making said product/media!? I'm sure they'll love that."

Also, 90% of anime/manga companies don't care what non-Japanese want. Like, they really don't care what non-Japanese people want.

idk it's hard to make a business adopt a different way of doing things if they're able to make money doing things one way.
Trying to change that is quite hard.

I know if you look at sales of sequels to indie games you usually get something like 15% of the original audience purchasing it, which is the case for banner saga 2.

So I can imagine there's a case of diminishing returns coming into play for some anime.

With the exception of a few super big hit anime that just seem to print money no matter what they do.
Lubyak wrote:
New haven america wrote:Because Japanese companies tend to make stupid business decisions.

"Oh the masses really like this product/movie/show we made? Why don't we just stop making said product/media!? I'm sure they'll love that."

Also, 90% of anime/manga companies don't care what non-Japanese want. Like, they really don't care what non-Japanese people want.

We also have to consider that most anime isn't made to sell itself, but rather to sell the underlying product, i.e. the manga/light novels. It's not a stupid business decision, but rather one that makes complete sense to the industry.

And yeah, we as Western anime consumers are effectively irrelevant to most of the industry's calculations. Their focus is on Japanese consumers, and a show being popular in the West is only icing on the cake.

There probably are business decisions that they must consider with their target audience but I have to wonder if there's also a case of the writers of the manga and novels they base the material on will have most of their experiences in Japan. So naturally most anime will focus on Japan because that's where the writers live, grow up and are familiar with.

At least they're improving with English phrases. Or at least sounding cute when they mispronounce everything.

We moe fans here. Ain't no moe in AOT.

Not enough titans drinking tea either, what's up with that.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue May 02, 2017 1:48 am

Mad hatters in jeans wrote:We moe fans here. Ain't no moe in AOT.

Excuse me?
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction