NATION

PASSWORD

Which Anime are you watching or have watched recently IV?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nevertopia
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nevertopia » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:04 pm

Norcroft wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:That's not an anime. Also, over here.

How is THIS not anime?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo3jIcAgnT0

RIGHT?!
So the CCP won't let me be or let me be me so let me see, they tried to shut me down on CBC but it feels so empty without me.
Communism has failed every time its been tried.
Civilization Index: Class 9.28
Tier 7: Stellar Settler | Level 7: Wonderful Wizard | Type 7: Astro Ambassador
This nation's overview is the primary canon. For more information use NS stats.
Black Lives Matter

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 05, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Tethys 13 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:11 pm

Norcroft wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:That's not an anime. Also, over here.

How is THIS not anime?

'Anime' is a subset of the animation medium which can loosely be said to share a certain aesthetic but with many exceptions, and is often simply categorised as having originated in Japan. It is not a genre. It is not defined by the drama of its battles, for it does not have to contain battles at all.
That being said, I added Avatar: The Last Airbender to my persomal anime ranking on a whim, so I do not care that much about it. I also find My Little Pony mostly entertaining, but I would advise you follow the link provided if you want to discuss it further.
Last edited by Tethys 13 on Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Aquatic Librarian Knights of Tethys 13
Population: >31 Billion
Leaders: The Grand Council
We use NationStates statistics, with some artistic license.

Nevertopia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nevertopia » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:36 pm

Tethys 13 wrote:
Norcroft wrote:
How is THIS not anime?

'Anime' is a subset of the animation medium which can loosely be said to share a certain aesthetic but with many exceptions, and is often simply categorised as having originated in Japan. It is not a genre. It is not defined by the drama of its battles, for it does not have to contain battles at all.
That being said, I added Avatar: The Last Airbender to my persomal anime ranking on a whim, so I do not care that much about it. I also find My Little Pony mostly entertaining, but I would advise you follow the link provided if you want to discuss it further.

i disagree, anime is a genre.
So the CCP won't let me be or let me be me so let me see, they tried to shut me down on CBC but it feels so empty without me.
Black Lives Matter

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Postby Tethys 13 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:55 pm

Nevertopia wrote:

On what basis? Would you consider 'Live-Action Television' a genre? I find it difficult to think of Berserk and Haikyuu or K-on being the same genre. However, we may be using different definitions in this case - genre as a word can refer to any type of communication with socially agreed-upon conventions (and, now that I think about it, this conversation began as disagreeing about those conventions). However, it began as a way of classifying literature into comedy, tragedy etcetera, and that was my meaning when I used the word. Anime has many such genres of its own (shoujo, shounen, seinen etcetera, though they simply refer to the target audience) but in my eyes it is very much a medium, not a genre. I would be interested to hear your take on it, however.

Nevertopia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nevertopia » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:58 pm

Tethys 13 wrote:
Nevertopia wrote:

On what basis? Would you consider 'Live-Action Television' a genre? I find it difficult to think of Berserk and Haikyuu or K-on being the same genre. However, we may be using different definitions in this case - genre as a word can refer to any type of communication with socially agreed-upon conventions (and, now that I think about it, this conversation began as disagreeing about those conventions). However, it began as a way of classifying literature into comedy, tragedy etcetera, and that was my meaning when I used the word. Anime has many such genres of its own (shoujo, shounen, seinen etcetera, though they simply refer to the target audience) but in my eyes it is very much a medium, not a genre. I would be interested to hear your take on it, however.

anime isnt just a medium, its a specific artstyle with a distinct theme and tropes. Shoujo, shounen, seinen etc are subgenres in the anime genre much like there are many subgenres in the superhero genre in current popculture. Theres a difference between Capt America and James bond movies despite them at their core being spygames films.
Black Lives Matter

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Postby Tethys 13 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:28 am

Nevertopia wrote:
Tethys 13 wrote:

anime isnt just a medium, its a specific artstyle with a distinct theme and tropes. Shoujo, shounen, seinen etc are subgenres in the anime genre much like there are many subgenres in the superhero genre in current popculture. Theres a difference between Capt America and James bond movies despite them at their core being spygames films.

But while Golgo 13 would be an anime of the spy genre, Nichijou is not. The two have almost nothing in common, thematically or in art style, with their only link being that they are both of the anime medium. Even taking the same genres - for example, Occult Adventure Fantasy Horror - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Hellsing Ultimate are still different in art style. If you put characters from Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku, Soul Eater, Ascendance of a Bookworm, Drifters, Lucky Star, Afro Samurai, No Game No Life and Gurren Lagann in an image together, you would clearly be able to see that they are all from different things, even just in their faces. On the matter of tropes, while it is wrong to tar them all with the same brush, it is natural to see similar themes in the works of a particular culture, and easier to see them from the outside - think of all of the tropes that apply to American or British creations. I am sure that some people from other countries would look at them and be tempted to unite them under a single genre.
I think my problem with calling anime a genre primarily stems from how some people speak of it. Saying things like 'that is very anime' or 'anime is awful' works as an opinion of a genre (if a blinkered one) but does not work as an opinion of a medium. When I challenge people on their dislike of anime as a whole, they say things like 'the art style' though anime has no one defining art style, or 'the stupid plots' though some anime are genius journeys in intrigue, or 'because it is for kids' though that is just blatant nonsense given the number of anime series completely unsuitable for children, such as Berserk.
Perhaps it is just a personal quibble of mine, but I hope I have explained my point of view clearly at least.

Las Palmeras
Minister

Founded: Jun 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:32 am

Uhhh....nice discussion.

Also. It's half an hour to 3:00 AM and I'm watching Dennou Coil, which I dropped ages ago but just now remembered.
Hey hey, LP here: Too burnt out with this nation to make new lore or fix macrohistorical longue durée alt-his inconsistencies, too clingy to let it die.
UPHOLD SOUTH REINISM-LENINISM! UNLIMITED DESTRUCTION OF 1ST WORLD HETERRHOIDS!

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Postby Tethys 13 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:27 am

I started three new series a few weeks ago - King of High School and Monster Girl Doctor, which I stopped following after two episodes, and Misfit of Demon Academy, which is brilliant so far.
King of High School certainly has spectacular visuals and quirky characters, but did not really grip me. I think I will go back and watch it properly at some point, likely after it has finished its run (assuming that it is a standard 12 to 24 episode show).
I had very much hoped that Monster Girl Doctor would be similar to the superb Interviews with Monster Girls, but instead sadly it seemed highly derivative of Daily Life With Monster Girls, a series I have been shown scenes from that I accept are good character writing (the drinks scene in particular) but do not like simply because I have never liked smut.
Misfit of Demon Academy is excellent. I recently saw the youtube channel 'Mother's Basement' release a video about it, and I agree with what they said - it is not up to the level of One Punch Man yet, but it is hilarious, satisfying and surprisingly deep. Plus, it has yet to be overly perverted, which earns it a gold star!

Guardians of the Holy Bowling Alley
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 23, 2012
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Guardians of the Holy Bowling Alley » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:28 pm

I've been watching the World God Only Knows, which I had sadly never heard of before about a week ago. While the show, as a whole, is pretty good, the main protagonist easily gets a 9.5/10 in my book.
|| Please support the Great Archive of Nations by donating cards for preservation. ||

The Former Conservative Conservative Party Candidate of 2016!

Breaking News: The Conservative Conservative Party is now inactive.

"Forwards is Backwards, and Backwards is Forwards!"

Nevertopia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nevertopia » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:42 pm

Tethys 13 wrote:
Nevertopia wrote:

But while Golgo 13 would be an anime of the spy genre, Nichijou is not. The two have almost nothing in common, thematically or in art style, with their only link being that they are both of the anime medium. Even taking the same genres - for example, Occult Adventure Fantasy Horror - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Hellsing Ultimate are still different in art style. If you put characters from Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku, Soul Eater, Ascendance of a Bookworm, Drifters, Lucky Star, Afro Samurai, No Game No Life and Gurren Lagann in an image together, you would clearly be able to see that they are all from different things, even just in their faces. On the matter of tropes, while it is wrong to tar them all with the same brush, it is natural to see similar themes in the works of a particular culture, and easier to see them from the outside - think of all of the tropes that apply to American or British creations. I am sure that some people from other countries would look at them and be tempted to unite them under a single genre.
I think my problem with calling anime a genre primarily stems from how some people speak of it. Saying things like 'that is very anime' or 'anime is awful' works as an opinion of a genre (if a blinkered one) but does not work as an opinion of a medium. When I challenge people on their dislike of anime as a whole, they say things like 'the art style' though anime has no one defining art style, or 'the stupid plots' though some anime are genius journeys in intrigue, or 'because it is for kids' though that is just blatant nonsense given the number of anime series completely unsuitable for children, such as Berserk.
Perhaps it is just a personal quibble of mine, but I hope I have explained my point of view clearly at least.

youre wrong, anime IS a genre.
Black Lives Matter

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:08 pm

Nevertopia wrote:youre wrong, anime IS a genre.

Only if "American live-action movies" is a genre.

Just like Star Wars and Home Alone are obviously different genres, so are Nichijou and Psycho-Pass.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
The Mainframe requires more processing power and storage.
Donate your computing devices or they will be taken by force.
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
Feel free to telegram me about anything. I'll do my best to respond.
Canon is relative to the observer. Not using NS stats.
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012

Postby New haven america » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:07 pm

Nevertopia wrote:
Tethys 13 wrote:

This is a terrible explanation.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Nevertopia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nevertopia » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:33 pm

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:
Nevertopia wrote:youre wrong, anime IS a genre.

Only if "American live-action movies" is a genre.

Just like Star Wars and Home Alone are obviously different genres, so are Nichijou and Psycho-Pass.

american live-action movies is a genre on its own. Watch the original versions of The grudge and watch the americanized version of it if you dont believe me.
Black Lives Matter

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Postby Tethys 13 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:09 pm

Nevertopia wrote:
Tethys 13 wrote:

I see that it was naïve for me to hope for an actual discussion. I allowed your previous comment to feed my optimism.
Last edited by Tethys 13 on Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:15 pm

Tethys 13 wrote:
Nevertopia wrote:

I see that it was naïve for me to hope for an actual discussion. I allowed your previous comment to feed my optimism.

If anime isn’t a genre then why have I only watched dbz and naruto?
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:36 pm

Turns out two things I usually find insufferable (Rumiko Takahashi stuff and Dorohedoro) are much more tolerable in manga form.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Cadonica
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 19, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:42 am

Nevertopia wrote:
Tethys 13 wrote:

That's so disgustingly weeb thing to say it almost physically hurts.

Anime comes in so many different styles that calling them a genre as a whole makes absolutely no sense. Referring to Japanese animation as anime is perfectly fine.

Furthermore in Japanese if it's animated it's anime. Whether it's 2D, 3D, Japanese, American or German makes no difference. Go tell them anime is a genre, I double dare you. You'll just get "anime is a genre just like live-action". Because geographical location or language doesn't magically change genres.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.
That's what they said:Once you go black metal...

That's what I said:
That Finnish bastard. ~2011
Sleeping is overrated. ~2012
I'm only gay with females. ~2013
Wings are sexy and you know it! ~2013.

Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:33 am

Las Palmeras wrote:Uhhh....nice discussion.

Also. It's half an hour to 3:00 AM and I'm watching Dennou Coil, which I dropped ages ago but just now remembered.

Oh good choice. That was a really good series.
Are these "human rights" in the room with us right now?
★彡 Professional pessimist. Reactionary socialist and gamer liberationist. Coffee addict. Fun at parties 彡★
Freedom is when people agree with you, and the more people you can force to act like they agree the freer society is
You are the trolley problem's conductor. You could stop the train in time but you do not. Nobody knows you're part of the equation. You satisfy your bloodlust and get away with it every time

Maichuko
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2015

Postby Maichuko » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:12 am

I've been seeing some clips from Girls Und Panzer Das Finale on youtube and noticed they added a bunch of new schools. I think the Australian school with a Koala commander might be my favorite minor team. Anzio fighting the Poles was really funny.
Last edited by Maichuko on Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live the Emperor of all Maichukoans! May he live 100 years!
(V)(;,,;)(V) woop woop woop woop

Las Palmeras
Minister

Founded: Jun 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:39 am

Dumb Ideologies wrote:
Las Palmeras wrote:Uhhh....nice discussion.

Oh good choice. That was a really good series.

The style is a bit noteworthy too. That's what caught my eye in the first place.
Hey hey, LP here: Too burnt out with this nation to make new lore or fix macrohistorical longue durée alt-his inconsistencies, too clingy to let it die.
UPHOLD SOUTH REINISM-LENINISM! UNLIMITED DESTRUCTION OF 1ST WORLD HETERRHOIDS!

Nevertopia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nevertopia » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:30 pm

Tethys 13 wrote:
Nevertopia wrote:

agree to disagree.
Black Lives Matter

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:41 pm

The first 38 seconds of this video sums up my thoughts on the "anime" discussion tbh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkdokuY ... .be&end=38

Sanghyeok
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanghyeok » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:43 pm

Not an anime, but playing White Album VN.
どんな時も、赤旗の眩しさを覚えていた
Magical socialist paradise headed by an immortal, tea-loving and sometimes childish Chairwoman who happens to be the younger Ōmiya sister

Mini custard puddings
And fresh poured Darjeeling
Strawberry parfait so sweet and appealing,
Little soft plushies and baths in hot springs
These are a few of my favourite things

Nevertopia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nevertopia » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:33 pm

Fedel wrote:The first 38 seconds of this video sums up my thoughts on the "anime" discussion tbh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkdokuY ... .be&end=38

what tethys doesnt understand is anime is an art style, an aesthetic and genre rolled into one with branching subthemes.
Black Lives Matter

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Postby Tethys 13 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:22 pm

Nevertopia wrote:
Fedel wrote:The first 38 seconds of this video sums up my thoughts on the "anime" discussion tbh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkdokuY ... .be&end=38

what tethys doesnt understand is anime is an art style, an aesthetic and genre rolled into one with branching subthemes.

If you are going to completely ignore my points rather than provide counter-arguments, please do not condescend about me in the third person - it is very rude. A solid portion of my previous comment was regarding the matter of art styles.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction