NATION

PASSWORD

Which Anime are you watching or have watched recently IV?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:32 pm

At least there's lots of shit isekai we can watch that comforts me. :lol:

For example, check out ths Re:Zero rip off!

Also... I really need to watch Re:Zero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMfUf0gSQz0
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Las Palmeras
Minister

Founded: Jun 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:45 pm

The Rich Port wrote:At least there's lots of shit isekai we can watch that comforts me. :lol:

Eh, Re:Zero is okayish, IMO. Being Subaru is suffering and all that put a nice spin on the not-wish fulfillment. I actually kinda liked Grimgar for that very same reason. But the OP-ness of too many isekai MCs is what puts me off. Who knows, maybe Made in Abyss probably convinced me that a show needs to have the same amount despair and hope to be interesting for me: with no challenge or danger there isn't much to enjoy, there's none of that sweet emotional attachment if you know the MCs will curb-stomp anyways.
Hey hey, LP here: Too burnt out with this nation to make new lore or fix macrohistorical longue durée alt-his inconsistencies, too clingy to let it die.
UPHOLD SOUTH REINISM-LENINISM! UNLIMITED DESTRUCTION OF 1ST WORLD HETERRHOIDS!

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:50 pm

Las Palmeras wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:At least there's lots of shit isekai we can watch that comforts me. :lol:

Eh, Re:Zero is okayish, IMO. Being Subaru is suffering and all that put a nice spin on the not-wish fulfillment. I actually kinda liked Grimgar for that very same reason. But the OP-ness of too many isekai MCs is what puts me off. Who knows, maybe Made in Abyss probably convinced me that a show needs to have the same amount despair and hope to be interesting for me: with no challenge or danger there isn't much to enjoy, there's none of that sweet emotional attachment if you know the MCs will curb-stomp anyways.

Oh no absolutely, grimdark shit was old by the time Warhammer hit its stride in the 90s. It's lazy writing. Made in Abyss is just good writing, it isn't about "how grim can this be", it's about how we must adapt to life, no matter how bizarre it can be, with the Abyss representing the most bizarre shit possible.

Not even Rise of the Shield Hero engaged in dark shit and in that show we almost saw a woman and an old man get guillotined and the same people get humiliated by the hero.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Imperial isa
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 08, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Imperial isa » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:09 pm

Finish both Full Metal Panic/Fumoffu ,now i just need to get around to buying The Second Raid and Invisible Victory.
Romeo Foxtrot, Shall we Dance...
We’re on an express elevator to hell – going down!

Las Palmeras
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:31 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Oh no absolutely, grimdark shit was old by the time Warhammer hit its stride in the 90s. It's lazy writing.

Nah, I meant the show Hai to Gensou no Grimgar. But yeah, I guess grimdark can be hard to pull off.
Hey hey, LP here: Too burnt out with this nation to make new lore or fix macrohistorical longue durée alt-his inconsistencies, too clingy to let it die.

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 05, 2007

Postby Tethys 13 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:58 pm

Las Palmeras wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
Oh no absolutely, grimdark shit was old by the time Warhammer hit its stride in the 90s. It's lazy writing.

Nah, I meant the show Hai to Gensou no Grimgar. But yeah, I guess grimdark can be hard to pull off.

I was just listening to its opening theme again recently. I would like it to get a second season, but I am not crazy about it - it got a bit real for me.
The Aquatic Librarian Knights of Tethys 13
Population: >31 Billion
Leaders: The Grand Council
We use NationStates statistics, with some artistic license.

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:36 pm

Well, Neon Genesis Evangelion engaged me enough that I ended up binge-watching it and finishing it in just three days. I'd give it a strong 8.5/10, maybe a 9/10.

This felt like a darker take on the mecha genre, with the focus being on the pilots' struggle to deal with the immense responsibility placed upon them, as opposed to the power fantasy of "giant fighting robots." My favorite episode was Episode 18, in which Shinji is forced to attack another Eva that has been taken over by an Angel - the horror as he watches his Eva brutally tear apart the other and apparently kill its pilot is emotionally compelling in the same way that the best episodes of Black Mirror are.

I didn't dislike the ending as much as some fans seem to, but I wish that it was possible to conclude Shinji's character arc and resolve the show's themes while also retaining the action and the style of the rest of the series. From what I've heard, End of Evangelion might do exactly that, so I'll probably watch it soon. The last two episodes feel like they'd make great episodes of Serial Experiments Lain, but are out of place in Neon Genesis Evangelion. Nonetheless, as a resolution to the character arcs and themes, they work well.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
The Mainframe requires more processing power and storage.
Donate your computing devices or they will be taken by force.
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
Feel free to telegram me about anything. I'll do my best to respond.
Canon is relative to the observer. Not using NS stats.
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:42 pm

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:Well, Neon Genesis Evangelion engaged me enough that I ended up binge-watching it and finishing it in just three days. I'd give it a strong 8.5/10, maybe a 9/10.

This felt like a darker take on the mecha genre, with the focus being on the pilots' struggle to deal with the immense responsibility placed upon them, as opposed to the power fantasy of "giant fighting robots." My favorite episode was Episode 18, in which Shinji is forced to attack another Eva that has been taken over by an Angel - the horror as he watches his Eva brutally tear apart the other and apparently kill its pilot is emotionally compelling in the same way that the best episodes of Black Mirror are.

I didn't dislike the ending as much as some fans seem to, but I wish that it was possible to conclude Shinji's character arc and resolve the show's themes while also retaining the action and the style of the rest of the series. From what I've heard, End of Evangelion might do exactly that, so I'll probably watch it soon. The last two episodes feel like they'd make great episodes of Serial Experiments Lain, but are out of place in Neon Genesis Evangelion. Nonetheless, as a resolution to the character arcs and themes, they work well.

I still maintain it's not a mecha show. I mean those things weren't robots, and they don't fight robots. So classifying it as such seems inaccurate to me.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Trecominbioa
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 08, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Trecominbioa » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:45 pm

I don't watch anime.
Anime is for sexually deprived introverted nerdy teens.
Trecominbioa
Official representative of chetzufikism, a new niche ideology.
Don't use NS stats.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012

Postby New haven america » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:47 pm

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:Well, Neon Genesis Evangelion engaged me enough that I ended up binge-watching it and finishing it in just three days. I'd give it a strong 8.5/10, maybe a 9/10.

Most mech shows are like that.

IDK where people get this idea that mech shows are just giant robot power fantasies, because the vast majority ain't so.
Last edited by New haven america on Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:51 pm

Trecominbioa wrote:I don't watch anime.

That's quite the hasty generalization given the variety of anime out there. Though I say that as an introverted nerdy teen myself.
New haven america wrote:

Most mech shows are like that.

I guess I should watch more of them, then.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:52 pm

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:I guess I should watch more of them, then.

Pray tell have you heard of a little mech show named Gurren Lagann?
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:52 pm

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:

That's quite the hasty generalization given the variety of anime out there. Though I say that as an introverted nerdy teen myself.
New haven america wrote:Most mech shows are like that.

Question: Where did you get the idea that mech shows are just giant robot power fantasies? Cause that seems to be a common belief even though the vast majority aren't that, so...

Also, Gurren Lagann is the type of power fantasy show you're thinking about, but it's good so it gets a pass. (As I recommended it to you earlier and it was made by the same studio that made Evangelion)
Last edited by New haven america on Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:00 pm

New haven america wrote:
The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:That's quite the hasty generalization given the variety of anime out there. Though I say that as an introverted nerdy teen myself.

Question: Where di you get the idea that mech shows are just giant robot power fantasies? Cause that seems to be a common idea even though the vast majority aren't that, so...

Also, Gurren Lagann is the type of power fantasy show you're thinking about, but it's good so it gets a pass. (As I recommended it to you earlier)

I'm not entirely sure where I got that idea. I think part of it may be because most of the clips from them that I saw mixed in with other media were the action scenes. Action makes for better advertising than philosophy does.

Gurren Lagann is on my watchlist.
Last edited by The Cosmic Mainframe on Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

HUElavia
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby HUElavia » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:03 pm

Currently watching Spice and Wolf S2, Eureka Seven, Re:Zero S1, and Brand New Animal.
Last edited by HUElavia on Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:16 pm

Hey, I'm not a teenager.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:31 pm

You act as if that's not something to be proud of.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Las Palmeras
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:38 pm

Tethys 13 wrote:I would like it to get a second season, but I am not crazy about it - it got a bit real for me.

Yeah. I'd like a second season too, to see if the rest of the Party can get their act together.

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:
New haven america wrote:Question: Where di you get the idea that mech shows are just giant robot power fantasies? Cause that seems to be a common idea even though the vast majority aren't that, so...

Also, Gurren Lagann is the type of power fantasy show you're thinking about, but it's good so it gets a pass. (As I recommended it to you earlier)

I'm not entirely sure where I got that idea. I think part of it may be because most of the clips from them that I saw mixed in with other media were the action scenes. Action makes for better advertising than philosophy does.

Gurren Lagann is on my watchlist.

Hehe. I'm thinking of a mecha show I really like (the first half) but I ended up getting let down as the show progressed for pushing philosophy. But if you like people pulling a Baudrillard on you, maybe you could enjoy all of The Big O. The show also has the quirk of being quite westernized. A lot of people who worked on it used to animate the 1990s Batman.
Last edited by Las Palmeras on Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:14 am

Then why are you here then? Just to make us feel bad for liking things you don’t?
Yugoslavia's back baby...

How the hell did this happen?
Well...we don't actually know. Just sort of happened one day.
Is it a reunited Yugoslavia in the 21st century? Is a rebel colony world in the far future? Is it a race of cyborg neo-life at war with any assimilating organisms they come across in the far far future? Who knows, who cares?
New Yugoslavia just is.

Philjia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 15, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Philjia » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:43 am

End of Evangelion is great, a much better execution of what the last two episodes were trying to do which also contains the stuff that was originally meant to be in them before they ran out of time and money.

⚧ Trans rights. ⚧
Pragmatic ethical utopian socialist, IE I'm for whatever kind of socialism is the most moral and practical. Pro LGBT rights and gay marriage, pro gay adoption, generally internationalist, ambivalent on the EU, atheist, pro free speech and expression, pro legalisation of prostitution and soft drugs, and pro choice. Anti authoritarian, anti Marxist. White cishet male.

Guardians of the Holy Bowling Alley
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 23, 2012
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Guardians of the Holy Bowling Alley » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:42 am

Philjia wrote:

End of Evangelion is great, a much better execution of what the last two episodes were trying to do which also contains the stuff that was originally meant to be in them before they ran out of time and money.

I'm sort of a weirdo in that I personally didn't care for the End of Evangelion all that much, but felt perfectly satisfied with the ending of series. While the ending of the series was kind of weird, I felt like it was a satisfying conclusion to Shinji's character arc.
|| Please support the Great Archive of Nations by donating cards for preservation. ||

The Former Conservative Conservative Party Candidate of 2016!

Breaking News: The Conservative Conservative Party is now inactive.

"Forwards is Backwards, and Backwards is Forwards!"

Hurdergaryp
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 10, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Hurdergaryp » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:34 am

New yugoslavaia wrote:

Then why are you here then? Just to make us feel bad for liking things you don’t?

Trecominbioa created his account on the eight of august, so either he is a puppet or he is one of those precious NationStates Summer children, here to out-edge even the edgiest of edgelords. They tend not to last, one-dimensional as they are.

“Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent.”
Mao Zedong

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:37 am

I've been watching Kaiji lately. Binged watched the entire Espoir arc, and the one following it. Its really damn good. I cant get enough of the ASMR Whisper Demons.
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Hittisha
Attaché

Founded: Dec 11, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Hittisha » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:10 pm

So I just gave Angel Beats a try. Only looked at the 1st episode a couple of years back. Decided to drop it by the 5th; I felt that there was too little to actually drive the plot. Or rather, whatever it had was just badly delivered. While some of the music was nice, there otherwise just wasn't enough in terms of characterization to make up for it, besides maybe in the 3rd episode, and the setting in general I just found disinteresting.
I also tried Hunter x Hunter (the newer series), and that actually kept me going until the end of the first arc at around episode 21, which I actually found somewhat dissatisfying. And after viewing a summary of how the rest of the series goes off of YouTube, it honestly just gave me more doubts about whether it was worth watching all the way through.
7Seeds actually proved to be pretty decent, although with some drawbacks, like I guess in the way attempted rape and homicidal tendencies by certain characters seems to get let off too lightly, which can't be excused by their backstory if you ask me.

Evangelion would easily be one of my favorites. I actually showed my brother this series recently, and by the final episode he just got too fed up with it to even watch End of Evangelion. But in my opinion, the film still provides a more appealing conclusion than those last 2 episodes.
Interesting that you also mention Serial Experiments Lain, took notice of the similar vibe myself when I watched last year. Found it seemed vague even by the standards of Evangelion. So yeah, I think those episodes would fit better in a series like that.
Last edited by Hittisha on Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:24 pm

Angel Beats is a weird-ass pointless show, really just another in the long line of death game animes that are trendy but don't have much substance to them, a la Battle Royale. Nowadays the trendy genre is Isekai, and very briefly... The MMO anime. Ugh.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction