NATION

PASSWORD

Which Anime are you watching or have watched recently IV?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:19 pm

Las Palmeras wrote:
Shanghai industrial complex wrote:I think Haruhi is very cute.In East Asia culture, strong, individualistic and mischievous girls are more popular. :eyebrow:
This kind of character is very common in Japanese anime.Such as Lynn Minmay,Tendou Akane,Nadia,Asuka Langley Soryu,C.C. etc.

A character can can be strong, individualistic and mischievous without being as grating as a cheese shredder if you want to imply that I don't like strong girls. But who knows, maybe I'm too serious to like most tsunderes, they strike a nerve if they can't offer anything other than sass and mushy stock phrases when they soften up. That's why I can't like Haruhi as a leader.

Once again, I'm reflecting on this because I've been re-watching and reading Made in Abyss, but in all honesty, Riko and the gang are probably among my favorite characters in anime. Why? because I admire their willpower in the face of blood, sweat and torment. I love how Riko rallies and leads Reg and Nanachi, she's the heart of the team but also uses her wits to coordinate their strengths in the face of danger. She screws up, gets hurt, and needs help and that only makes her more relatable. Her individual goals get intertwined with the well-being of those around her. And she leads without being annoying or rude to other people, on the contrary, she's very proper as far as circumstances allow. What's not to like? That's why I'm a big fan and I'll root for them.

...Ok, Riko shoved a ruler up Reg's ass but that was before they got to know each-other...

Akane Tsunemori (from Psycho-Pass) is a good character for similar reasons.

It's possible to write a strong, independent female character that remains likeable, and who evolves throughout the series. Haruhi just comes off as annoying to me.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
The Mainframe requires more processing power and storage.
Donate your computing devices or they will be taken by force.
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
Feel free to telegram me about anything. I'll do my best to respond.
Canon is relative to the observer. Not using NS stats.
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

Las Palmeras
Minister

Founded: Jun 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:36 pm

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:
Las Palmeras wrote:
A character can can be strong, individualistic and mischievous without being as grating as a cheese shredder if you want to imply that I don't like strong girls. But who knows, maybe I'm too serious to like most tsunderes, they strike a nerve if they can't offer anything other than sass and mushy stock phrases when they soften up. That's why I can't like Haruhi as a leader.

Once again, I'm reflecting on this because I've been re-watching and reading Made in Abyss, but in all honesty, Riko and the gang are probably among my favorite characters in anime. Why? because I admire their willpower in the face of blood, sweat and torment. I love how Riko rallies and leads Reg and Nanachi, she's the heart of the team but also uses her wits to coordinate their strengths in the face of danger. She screws up, gets hurt, and needs help and that only makes her more relatable. Her individual goals get intertwined with the well-being of those around her. And she leads without being annoying or rude to other people, on the contrary, she's very proper as far as circumstances allow. What's not to like? That's why I'm a big fan and I'll root for them.

...Ok, Riko shoved a ruler up Reg's ass but that was before they got to know each-other...

Well, yeah. Cops are probably qualified to realize cavity searches too.

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:It's possible to write a strong, independent female character that remains likeable, and who evolves throughout the series. Haruhi just comes off as annoying to me.

Oh, that. Yes.
Hey hey, LP here: Too burnt out with this nation to make new lore or fix macrohistorical longue durée alt-his inconsistencies, too clingy to let it die.
UPHOLD SOUTH REINISM-LENINISM! UNLIMITED DESTRUCTION OF 1ST WORLD HETERRHOIDS!

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:21 pm

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:
Las Palmeras wrote:

It's possible to write a strong, independent female character that remains likeable, and who evolves throughout the series. Haruhi just comes off as annoying to me.

From the little I've seen of her, Haruhi strikes as an entitled bully who doesn't really care about the opinions of her so-called "friends". They're mostly accessories to whatever schemes she has, and the only reason she gets away with it is because they all are trying to study her behavior. Kyon...can't exactly do much.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 15, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Britanania » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:54 pm

Luminesa wrote:
The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:Akane Tsunemori (from Psycho-Pass) is a good character for similar reasons.

From the little I've seen of her, Haruhi strikes as an entitled bully who doesn't really care about the opinions of her so-called "friends". They're mostly accessories to whatever schemes she has, and the only reason she gets away with it is because they all are trying to study her behavior. Kyon...can't exactly do much.

Basically accurate, but given that she has god-like powers, it's almost expected.

I'm told she gets a lot better in the light novels, has real development, but as far as I'm aware, those are available in English.
Christus vincit; Christus regnat; Christus imperat
"All things have their season, and in their times all things pass under heaven"--Ecclesiastes 3:1
"Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king."
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected"--G. K. Chesterton
Pro: British Unionism, Catholicism, Classicism, Conservatism, High Toryism, Monarchism, Traditionalism
Anti: Consumerism, Devolution, Materialism, Modernism, Post-Modernism, Progressivism

Guardians of the Holy Bowling Alley
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 23, 2012
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Guardians of the Holy Bowling Alley » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:20 pm

Britanania wrote:
Luminesa wrote:From the little I've seen of her, Haruhi strikes as an entitled bully who doesn't really care about the opinions of her so-called "friends". They're mostly accessories to whatever schemes she has, and the only reason she gets away with it is because they all are trying to study her behavior. Kyon...can't exactly do much.

Basically accurate, but given that she has god-like powers, it's almost expected.

I'm told she gets a lot better in the light novels, has real development, but as far as I'm aware, those are available in English.

Yep, they are all available in English. I bought my copies for kindle on Amazon. The only stuff that has not yet been officially released in English are a couple of side stories.
|| Please support the Great Archive of Nations by donating cards for preservation. ||

The Former Conservative Conservative Party Candidate of 2016!

Breaking News: The Conservative Conservative Party is now inactive.

"Forwards is Backwards, and Backwards is Forwards!"

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:27 am

I finished Steins;Gate - my thoughts:

This was a very hit-and-miss show for me. There were some very well-written characters, some very poorly written characters, and some good but criminally underdeveloped ones. The first six episodes were painfully mediocre, but the time-loop arc later on is brilliant and the ending works well. Good for a game adaptation, although I do think this story might have worked better in its original, more interactive format. 7/10

I think that next I will watch something that isn't an anime, for the sake of variety.
Last edited by The Cosmic Mainframe on Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 05, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Tethys 13 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:06 pm

I am at the end of Parasyte, and overall thought it was well done, though rather too gory for my tastes. My main complaint is with the love interest character, who seems a bit too passive, accepting of the ridiculous things going on, and easily swayed.
Not to mention the sex scene which came out of nowhere and conveniently solved the hero's mental hangups, while she just quietly accepts being completely left out of the loop and is not even surprised that her until recently quiet and nerdy childhood friend has two massive scars where something went straight through his torso.

At least she grows a bit of character in the final episode.
Last edited by Tethys 13 on Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Aquatic Librarian Knights of Tethys 13
Population: >31 Billion
Leaders: The Grand Council
We use NationStates statistics, with some artistic license.

Chargé d'Affaires

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Guardians of the Holy Bowling Alley » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:37 pm

I've been watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I'm about half way through, and so far so good.

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:I finished Steins;Gate - my thoughts:

This was a very hit-and-miss show for me. There were some very well-written characters, some very poorly written characters, and some good but criminally underdeveloped ones. The first six episodes were painfully mediocre, but the time-loop arc later on is brilliant and the ending works well. Good for a game adaptation, although I do think this story might have worked better in its original, more interactive format. 7/10

I think that next I will watch something that isn't an anime, for the sake of variety.

If I'm remembering correctly (which I rarely do),you were considering the Battlestar Galactica remake. I have heard great things about it from various sources and so it is actually next on my own watch list. If I'm not mistaken, it can be watched for free on SyFy's website, though you'll probably have to sit through some ads.
Last edited by Guardians of the Holy Bowling Alley on Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|| Please support the Great Archive of Nations by donating cards for preservation. ||

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:52 pm

Guardians of the Holy Bowling Alley wrote:I've been watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I'm about half way through, and so far so good.

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:I finished Steins;Gate - my thoughts:

If I'm remembering correctly (which I rarely do),you were considering the Battlestar Galactica remake. I have heard great things about it from various sources and so it is actually next on my own watch list. If I'm not mistaken, it can be watched for free on SyFy's website, though you'll probably have to sit through some ads.

You are remembering correctly. Actually, I have the first two seasons on DVD. I had already watched the first three episodes, and they were mostly good, but the thing was I didn't really feel motivated to keep watching. So I might watch Battlestar Galactica, or I could go for something else.

If you wish to continue this discussion, it would be a good idea to do so over TG, because any further might be a threadjack.
Last edited by The Cosmic Mainframe on Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 15, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Britanania » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:52 pm

Guardians of the Holy Bowling Alley wrote:I've been watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I'm about half way through, and so far so good.

The original or the recent readaptation?
Christus vincit; Christus regnat; Christus imperat
"All things have their season, and in their times all things pass under heaven"--Ecclesiastes 3:1
"Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king."
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected"--G. K. Chesterton
Pro: British Unionism, Catholicism, Classicism, Conservatism, High Toryism, Monarchism, Traditionalism
Anti: Consumerism, Devolution, Materialism, Modernism, Post-Modernism, Progressivism

Chargé d'Affaires

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Guardians of the Holy Bowling Alley » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:58 pm

Britanania wrote:

The original or the recent readaptation?

The original. 55 episodes down, 55 more to go.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:49 pm

What the fuck was that, Next Life As A Villainess?
We went from everyone wanting Bakarina to dark magic, secret evil characters and possible human sacrifice.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:23 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:What the fuck was that, Next Life As A Villainess?
We went from everyone wanting Bakarina to dark magic, secret evil characters and possible human sacrifice.

Not bad. I'm watch this and BNA in this season
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:01 pm

So apparently Kei Sasuga thinks a fulfilling romance is to have 150+ chapters of relationship development for 1 couple including an engagement and child, then have a rival go into a coma for 5 years, then break up the original pair so they guy can pity marry the coma rival chick, and have the guy and coma rival actually get married all within the span of 4 chapters that in total covers ~1 decade worth of plot through timeskips.

Yeah, sure, ok. I'll have the drugs she's having.
Last edited by New haven america on Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:03 pm

Is it ok if I hate black butler having only seen a couple videos of it
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:45 am

South Odreria 2 wrote:Is it ok if I hate black butler having only seen a couple videos of it

Depends what the videos were.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:56 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
South Odreria 2 wrote:Is it ok if I hate black butler having only seen a couple videos of it

Depends what the videos were.

Pedophilic looking stuff and accents I didn’t like
Last edited by South Odreria 2 on Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:54 am

South Odreria 2 wrote:Pedophilic looking stuff

If you're talking about Ciel and Sebastian, don't worry. He's actually there to eventually eat his soul.

South Odreria 2 wrote:and accents I didn’t like

The sub is way better. My God, Daisuke Ono gives that man a voice like butter.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:59 pm

South Odreria 2 wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Depends what the videos were.

Pedophilic looking stuff and accents I didn’t like

Oh no,I didn't think of pedophilia .I was naive.I just thought they might be gay.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:01 pm

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:
South Odreria 2 wrote:Pedophilic looking stuff and accents I didn’t like

Oh no,I didn't think of pedophilia .I was naive.I just thought they might be gay.

They're not. Heck, Ciel is borderline asexual cause of that effed up stuff in his past.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:02 pm

I found an old anime . Furture war 198X I found a lot of Soviet weapons that the West speculated about at that time ,very funny.It should be the most delicate work I have ever seen depicting real war. He described the WW3 in the 1980s.

Las Palmeras
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:08 pm

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:I found an old anime . Furture war 198X I found a lot of Soviet weapons that the West speculated about at that time ,very funny.It should be the most delicate work I have ever seen depicting real war. He described the WW3 in the 1980s.

It's pure fanservice for anybody who is morbidly fascinated by the time and military hardware, I especially like the part with the Soviet paras and the MLRS shooting at the hordes of tanks. In a more serious tone, IIRC the film was released some time after Zapad-81 and during or shortly after Able Archer '83...so yeah, there's a lot to unpack over the mentality of the time.

Edit: Oh, 1982, so just in between.
Last edited by Las Palmeras on Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey hey, LP here: Too burnt out with this nation to make new lore or fix macrohistorical longue durée alt-his inconsistencies, too clingy to let it die.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:27 pm

Las Palmeras wrote:
Shanghai industrial complex wrote:I found an old anime . Furture war 198X I found a lot of Soviet weapons that the West speculated about at that time ,very funny.It should be the most delicate work I have ever seen depicting real war. He described the WW3 in the 1980s.

It's pure fanservice for anybody who is morbidly fascinated by the time and military hardware, I especially like the part with the Soviet paras and the MLRS shooting at the hordes of tanks. In a more serious tone, IIRC the film was released some time after Zapad-81 and during or shortly after Able Archer '83...so yeah, there's a lot to unpack over the mentality of the time.

Wow you've seen it.I can feel the cold war madness in this work.You mean the battle of tanks on the border between East and West Germany? I saw someone give that BGM with Hell March.We can see that the animation production team is very familiar with the military field.

Las Palmeras
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:46 pm

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:
Las Palmeras wrote:

Wow you've seen it.I can feel the cold war madness in this work.You mean the battle of tanks on the border between East and West Germany? I saw someone give that BGM with Hell March.We can see that the animation production team is very familiar with the military field.

Hehe, yes, I meant the tank battle on the border. I searched for it after watching Mauzer's music video on it (after looking at the '83 video game trailer and reliving nostalgia for the "Cold War gone hot" World In Conflict games), though I read about it on TV Tropes before that. If you know about any more series like these I'd sure like to know.

I'm actually bummed that there aren't enough series or shows like that. When it comes to "Red Dawn" type stuff, I've read bits of Motofumi Kobayashi's manga Tokyo Wars but the lack of scanlations hamper me, I really like the guy's work and I think he is a self-admitted airsoft/military otaku. He also made Cat Shit One and Cat Shit One '83. I liked those too, all about Cold War focal points. I also know about Katsuhiro Otomo's Kibun wa mō Sensō...which is also, from what I know, like a Japanese Red Dawn.

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:11 pm

I bought Psycho-Pass 2 and watched the first few episodes. Once I'm done rewatching a different show (which isn't an anime) I'll finish it.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction