NATION

PASSWORD

Thread for Gamers VIII: Revenge of the Sh**

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

How do you game?

Console
23%
PC
40%
Arcade
4%
Mobile
13%
Anything and Everything
10%
Other
5%
Catchphrase!
6%

Total votes : 1097

Zanera
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Fri May 26, 2017 1:43 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:I am interested in knowing the in game reason why the national guard or the army has not come in full force to deal with this cult considering based on the trailer they are actively rounding people up and harassing people at gun point.

Not like we have a highly-functioning government with well-equipped law enforcement and intelligence-gathering capabilities.

Only way I see them not knowing is the town being off the grid for the most part, or the cultists have everything severed or locked down. Also people being scared of getting killed for contacting authorities.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Fri May 26, 2017 1:45 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:I am interested in knowing the in game reason why the national guard or the army has not come in full force to deal with this cult considering based on the trailer they are actively rounding people up and harassing people at gun point.

I was kind of wondering that myself.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Licana
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Fri May 26, 2017 1:46 pm

There won't be one.
>American education
[19:21] <Lubyak> I want to go and wank all over him.
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri May 26, 2017 1:47 pm

Licana wrote:

There won't be one.

You know what that will probably be the case in the end.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Fri May 26, 2017 1:50 pm

Could be that the cult has cut off all contact with the outside world, but you would think that the state and federal goverment would egt suspicous about that,
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Fri May 26, 2017 1:51 pm

But, but...all the towers you'll inevitably have to climb! Someone's bound to make one of those work!
My Last.FM and RYM

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Fri May 26, 2017 1:52 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Licana wrote:
There won't be one.

You know what that will probably be the case in the end.

"So you're telling me that heavily armed cult harrassing and murdering people is enough to get some sort of response form the government nowadays?"
Last edited by Sovaal on Fri May 26, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Fri May 26, 2017 1:53 pm

Corrian wrote:But, but...all the towers you'll inevitably have to climb! Someone's bound to make one of those work!

The ending of the game will just be the air national guard carpet bombing the whole place.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:53 pm

Zanera wrote:

Not like we have a highly-functioning government with well-equipped law enforcement and intelligence-gathering capabilities.

Only way I see them not knowing is the town being off the grid for the most part, or the cultists have everything severed or locked down. Also people being scared of getting killed for contacting authorities.

I imagine the cult started out in that town by subverting the local authorities. Converting or replacing sheriffs, judges, mayors, that sort of thing. Might not even need to kill anybody, just win some elections, which probably wouldn't be too difficult for a seriously organized group to do in a small town. Once they were in control of the local government they could start moving openly. Scare the locals into compliance and that's probably about it, because, honestly, who pays attention to what's going on in Bumfuck, Montana?
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Fri May 26, 2017 1:56 pm

Corrian wrote:But, but...all the towers you'll inevitably have to climb! Someone's bound to make one of those work!

The entire game is based on you securing towers from the cultists.
The main quest, all the side quests, all the radiant quests.
All contributing to you killing a couple of cultists per tower and taking the tower over.

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Fri May 26, 2017 1:58 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Zanera wrote:

I imagine the cult started out in that town by subverting the local authorities. Converting or replacing sheriffs, judges, mayors, that sort of thing. Might not even need to kill anybody, just win some elections, which probably wouldn't be too difficult for a seriously organized group to do in a small town. Once they were in control of the local government they could start moving openly. Scare the locals into compliance and that's probably about it, because, honestly, who pays attention to what's going on in Bumfuck, Montana?

The state government. Montana doesn't have an incredible amount of people to tax, so they need everyone to pay that they can get. :p

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Fri May 26, 2017 1:59 pm

Zanera wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:I imagine the cult started out in that town by subverting the local authorities. Converting or replacing sheriffs, judges, mayors, that sort of thing. Might not even need to kill anybody, just win some elections, which probably wouldn't be too difficult for a seriously organized group to do in a small town. Once they were in control of the local government they could start moving openly. Scare the locals into compliance and that's probably about it, because, honestly, who pays attention to what's going on in Bumfuck, Montana?

The state government. Montana doesn't have an incredible amount of people to tax, so they need everyone to pay that they can get. :p

Eh, just invade and annex Idaho :p
Last edited by Sovaal on Fri May 26, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Licana
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Fri May 26, 2017 2:04 pm

Zanera wrote:

Judging from the trucks and the weapons featured in the trailers, this is modern day America. As such, there's not really such a thing as "off the grid" anymore, not for a town of any notable size (like the one featured in these same trailers).

Wisconsin9 wrote:Scare the locals into compliance and that's probably about it, because, honestly, who pays attention to what's going on in Bumfuck, Montana?

When a militarized group with armed technicals start openly driving around and rounding people up, there will be a lot of people paying attention to Bumfuck, Montana.
>American education
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Fri May 26, 2017 2:05 pm

It would already be a news story on the Internet and posted to NationStates.
My Last.FM and RYM

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Fri May 26, 2017 2:08 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Zanera wrote:

Eh, just invade and annex Idaho :p

Then Montana can inherit it's potato economy!

Licana wrote:
Zanera wrote:

Judging from the trucks and the weapons featured in the trailers, this is modern day America. As such, there's not really such a thing as "off the grid" anymore, not for a town of any notable size (like the one featured in these same trailers).

Wisconsin9 wrote:Scare the locals into compliance and that's probably about it, because, honestly, who pays attention to what's going on in Bumfuck, Montana?

When a militarized group with armed technicals start openly driving around and rounding people up, there will be a lot of people paying attention to Bumfuck, Montana.

Hmmm...maybe they can bring in satellite imagery now that I think about it...

"Is that why I think it is?"
"I think so."
"We should send in a team to investigate, then we can..."
*five days later*
Last edited by Zanera on Fri May 26, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:19 pm

Licana wrote:
Zanera wrote:

I'm making the assumption here that they didn't start in on those things until after bringing in a decent chunk of the local population. Once you're in the church you're probably not going to report them, and if most of the town is involved social pressure could be used to keep outsiders from causing trouble. If you even needed to go that far. If you're in control of the local government, if you have most of the population onboard, and if you're clever, I doubt it would be difficult to keep people quiet.
~~~~~~~~

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Fri May 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Licana wrote:

I'm making the assumption here that they didn't start in on those things until after bringing in a decent chunk of the local population. Once you're in the church you're probably not going to report them, and if most of the town is involved social pressure could be used to keep outsiders from causing trouble. If you even needed to go that far. If you're in control of the local government, if you have most of the population onboard, and if you're clever, I doubt it would be difficult to keep people quiet.

All it takes is one person reporting them to the ATF.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Abserdia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 05, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Abserdia » Fri May 26, 2017 2:24 pm

So, because I'm a big dumb idiot who can't see large glowing orange spheres on the ground, I had to do the secret boss fight again. It was much easier.
I think I accidentally cheesed him.

Oh well. Got 3 new weapons in NieR: Automata today. I need to get the rest tomorrow so I can beat the secret SECRET boss.
Black lives matter

Recommend me shoegaze and ambient music.

So long, Frank Lloyd Wright
I can't believe your song is gone so soon...
I barely learned the tune
So soon, so soon

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:28 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:I'm making the assumption here that they didn't start in on those things until after bringing in a decent chunk of the local population. Once you're in the church you're probably not going to report them, and if most of the town is involved social pressure could be used to keep outsiders from causing trouble. If you even needed to go that far. If you're in control of the local government, if you have most of the population onboard, and if you're clever, I doubt it would be difficult to keep people quiet.

All it takes is one person reporting them to the ATF.

Which would make that person, as well as their friends and family, targets. It's also worth noting that this did, probably, eventually happen—the PC is a newly-arrived cop of some flavor.
~~~~~~~~

Licana
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Fri May 26, 2017 2:29 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:I'm making the assumption here that they didn't start in on those things until after bringing in a decent chunk of the local population. Once you're in the church you're probably not going to report them, and if most of the town is involved social pressure could be used to keep outsiders from causing trouble. If you even needed to go that far. If you're in control of the local government, if you have most of the population onboard, and if you're clever, I doubt it would be difficult to keep people quiet.

The problem comes from keeping people silent in the context of modern America, where even if you could cut off or otherwise take over an entire town without anyone else noticing (good luck) this all crumbles because some survivalist with a smartphone captures all of this on video/camera, grabs his compass and rifle, and then walks through the woods towards the nearest town until he gets a 3G signal. This is all discounting the fact that one of the "resistance" contacts is a pilot with a functional aircraft (yeah, good luck containing that).

If they had done this pre-2000s, or if they went with a less openly militarized enemy, this kind of thing might have been possible, but I don't really see a viable way this kind of setting can come about without suffering from some form of government retaliation.
>American education

Husseinarti wrote:

So was the M-16.

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Fri May 26, 2017 2:32 pm

The answer is clear guys.

True Christian Magic (tm)
“There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind.
The second way is to be kind.
The third way is to be kind.”
― Fred Rogers
Currently looking for an artist for a Star Wars fan comic I want to make.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri May 26, 2017 2:37 pm

Onekawa-Nukanor wrote:
Was he streaming when you killed him?

Yup.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:39 pm

Licana wrote:

The problem comes from keeping people silent in the context of modern America, where even if you could cut off or otherwise take over an entire town without anyone else noticing (good luck) this all crumbles because some survivalist with a smartphone captures all of this on video/camera, grabs his compass and rifle, and then walks through the woods towards the nearest town until he gets a 3G signal. This is all discounting the fact that one of the "resistance" contacts is a pilot with a functional aircraft (yeah, good luck containing that).

If they had done this pre-2000s, or if they went with a less openly militarized enemy, this kind of thing might have been possible, but I don't really see a viable way this kind of setting can come about without suffering from some form of government retaliation.

It's a doomsday cult. It's not unlikely that the survivalists would be in on it. It's also not really clear how militarized they are—yes, we see them riding around in pickups with their logo on it, but that's about it, and there's nothing strange about that in modern America. Frankly, the weirdest thing about those trucks is that they aren't plastered with bumper stickers. Yes, having an armed plane is weird, but it's not something you'd break out for just any occasion. And, ultimately, there is government retaliation—you.

I'm not trying to argue that it's likely. I don't think there are towns out in Montana or Nebraska or the Dakotas run by openly murderous doomsayers. But it's a far cry from inconceivable.
~~~~~~~~

Licana
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Fri May 26, 2017 2:48 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:It's a doomsday cult. It's not unlikely that the survivalists would be in on it. It's also not really clear how militarized they are—yes, we see them riding around in pickups with their logo on it, but that's about it and there's nothing strange about that in modern America

Oh yeah, trucks with their logos on it. That's it. Ignore the belt-fed machine gun mounted on the roll bar, that's just a prop. There's nothing strange about that.

Wisconsin9 wrote:and, ultimately, there is government retaliation—you.

Unless the game is set to end about an hour after starting, this is unreasonable.

Wisconsin9 wrote:But it's a far cry from inconceivable.

In the context of this setting, it actually kind of is.
>American education

Husseinarti wrote:

So was the M-16.

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri May 26, 2017 2:49 pm

United Muscovite Nations wrote:
Abserdia wrote:I didn't know that cuckoo birds were hot, blue, and one of the first races to reach space.

They trick members of other species into raising their offspring; it's leaching off of the other species.

Another problem with this is that Asari do raise their children and in fact usually end up doing most of the parenting in inter-species relationships because their partner dies before their offspring are fully grown.

They aren't brood parasites. This would be a symbiotic relationship of sorts.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction