NATION

PASSWORD

Artists' Corner

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Re: Artists' Corner

Postby Yohannes » Mon May 21, 2018 2:51 am

Not sure if this is the right place for this. If it is not I will delete this post (or it will probably be deleted after someone reported the post :p )

Some of my NationStates arts through the years

2010; the year I first started browsing and joined this wonderful game

Last edited by Yohannes on Mon May 21, 2018 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

North Caucasian Emirates
Attaché

Founded: Apr 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby North Caucasian Emirates » Mon May 21, 2018 3:06 am

Whoa, Yohannes; that's some pretty rockin' stuff you got there! And this is the right place to post your artworks. :)

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Re: Artists' Corner

Postby Yohannes » Mon May 21, 2018 3:10 am

North Caucasian Emirates wrote:
Whoa, Yohannes; that's some pretty rockin' stuff you got there! And this is the right place to post your artworks. :)

Hi oh hi Emmy thank you! Looking back my old drawings were reeeeeaally bad. It made me realise that we are always learning and the opportunity for learning is there, even for a recreational game like this. It reminded me that we all have to start somewhere, and by having supportive players around us we will grow (in one's own way; in the special way that one wishes or demands)
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

North Caucasian Emirates
Attaché

Founded: Apr 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby North Caucasian Emirates » Mon May 21, 2018 3:34 am

Yohannes wrote:
North Caucasian Emirates wrote:

Hi oh hi Emmy thank you! Looking back my old drawings were reeeeeaally bad. It made me realise that we are always learning and the opportunity for learning is there, even for a recreational game like this. It reminded me that we all have to start somewhere, and by having supportive players around us we will grow (in one's own way; in the special way that one wishes or demands)

Hello there! And that's my old art, too; I started off pretty badly with MS Paint, then I discovered the pencil brush (not the tool, but the brush), and managed to fool deviantArt into thinking my works were "Traditional Art"—that being physical paintings, physical sketches, and the like—which was a great achievement in and of itself. Then I transitioned to PowerPoint for "fast" art, and vector graphics; PowerPoint can also be used to create flags, seals, logos, and more! I love it.

Don't worry, though, as everyone has to start from somewhere, and gradually build up from there. :)

Sonitusia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sonitusia » Thu May 24, 2018 6:06 am

I did a draw

Click for high-res
DEITY OF BAD-TIMING
Check out my Deviantart for shit drawings!
Member of Task Force Atlas
Holy Messenger of Imperialjapanism and Twin Sibling of Shyluz
Shyluz wrote:The second 'tanks' was said, it was all over.

Gensokyu wrote:So that happened.

They say that in the great wars of NS Summer, there was one who did not fight with blood, but with iron. They named this one the Master of Tanks, and the thunderous sound of cannon and the rattling of machine guns could be heard far and wide, the crossroads before the capital of CotM being defended by this valiant one until it stood alone. Shitposters layed in droves, and entire army having been slain by the might of Sonitusia, Master of Tanks, Commandant of Iron, and Slinger of Shells.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Thu May 24, 2018 6:12 am

Sonitusia wrote:I did a draw

Oh so pretty! I am sorry if this is a silly question... which programme used?

Sonitusia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sonitusia » Thu May 24, 2018 6:20 am

Yohannes wrote:
Sonitusia wrote:I did a draw

Oh so pretty! I am sorry if this is a silly question... which programme used?

Paint Tool SAI for all the drawing, and paint.net for background and text.
DEITY OF BAD-TIMING

They say that in the great wars of NS Summer, there was one who did not fight with blood, but with iron. They named this one the Master of Tanks, and the thunderous sound of cannon and the rattling of machine guns could be heard far and wide, the crossroads before the capital of CotM being defended by this valiant one until it stood alone. Shitposters layed in droves, and entire army having been slain by the might of Sonitusia, Master of Tanks, Commandant of Iron, and Slinger of Shells.

Dmitry II
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dmitry II » Thu May 24, 2018 1:02 pm

I've been starting out with pixel art.

I decided to make a revolving Earth gif for no apparent reason.
Puppet of Zone 71

Sonitusia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sonitusia » Fri May 25, 2018 12:15 am

Dmitry II wrote:I've been starting out with pixel art.

(Image)

Sweet work man, I also have some moving pixel art:
DEITY OF BAD-TIMING

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sat May 26, 2018 1:28 am

i'm usually not this free tho :p
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

Dmitry II
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dmitry II » Sat May 26, 2018 11:18 am

Sonitusia wrote:
Dmitry II wrote:I've been starting out with pixel art.

(Image)

Sweet work man, I also have some moving pixel art:

Neat drawing. Which program did you use to make it?
Puppet of Zone 71

New Fakeland
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Fakeland » Sat May 26, 2018 1:25 pm

Only categories for Drawing, Music, and Writing?

So no category for Origami then :.(

well, here's some of mine anyway (the forum wouldn't let me embed it :.(

Sonitusia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sonitusia » Sat May 26, 2018 3:26 pm

Dmitry II wrote:
Sonitusia wrote:Sweet work man, I also have some moving pixel art:

Neat drawing. Which program did you use to make it?

I think it was the online GIF making program that lets you draw frame-by-frame easily, can't remember which...
DEITY OF BAD-TIMING

Devil Heart
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 07, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Devil Heart » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:14 am

Liking all the top-drawer art here, thanks everyone. Time I updated on my latest activities - even though it was way back in April. I made a little installation of 3D works inspired by the theme of 'fly'...except I was looking at things that don't.

I like to cut and drill as well as draw - you can see some of my watercolour pencil landscapes in earlier posts 3rd down page 11.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:49 pm

Devil Heart wrote:Liking all the top-drawer art here, thanks everyone. Time I updated on my latest activities - even though it was way back in April. I made a little installation of 3D works inspired by the theme of 'fly'...except I was looking at things that don't.

I like to cut and drill as well as draw - you can see some of my watercolour pencil landscapes in earlier posts 3rd down page 11.

I'd say you're in a surrealist/simplistic school, which is much harder for me to judge. Still, it's really nice to be able to observe your passion for the trade.

Devil Heart
Spokesperson

Postby Devil Heart » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:57 pm

Gigaverse wrote:
Devil Heart wrote:Liking all the top-drawer art here, thanks everyone. Time I updated on my latest activities - even though it was way back in April. I made a little installation of 3D works inspired by the theme of 'fly'...except I was looking at things that don't.

I'd say you're in a surrealist/simplistic school, which is much harder for me to judge. Still, it's really nice to be able to observe your passion for the trade.

Perhaps I should mention Dada and Pop, even conceptual....when I get serious! Although my landscape drawings tend more towards expressionism. No need to judge Gigaverse, thank you though for being interested, that means a lot to me.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:31 pm

Devil Heart wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:I'd say you're in a surrealist/simplistic school, which is much harder for me to judge. Still, it's really nice to be able to observe your passion for the trade.

Perhaps I should mention Dada and Pop, even conceptual....when I get serious! Although my landscape drawings tend more towards expressionism. No need to judge Gigaverse, thank you though for being interested, that means a lot to me.

No problem! I am an art school student though, so I feel like I should at least provide commentary to other artists. It's also especially interesting that you brought up Dada, I've never really thought I'd just bump into any contemporary Dada artist lol. :p

(Also perhaps "judge" was too heavy a word as I don't usually do that - I mostly just voice what I like about things I see.)

Devil Heart
Spokesperson

Postby Devil Heart » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:52 am

I do enjoy the absurdity of a furry teacup! It's that love of surfaces (tactile/conceptual/cultural) well met....and volume that drives me. Yes indeed, a nowadays Dada and Pop am I. Current loves are Ann Hamilton and Ai Weiwei...among many, many others. Yes, I was at formal art school too - but as I'm sure we artists agree, there is no real ending the the art learning.
I have been enjoying your Manga very much Gigaverse, that movement and tilt in the drawn piece you shared with us above is so very expressive!
I do a gallery coordinator job - it's in my heart to have an exhibition in the gallery space I work at of Manga and Anime - gotta somehow rally the artists that create this art and make it happen. Wish me well! I can't make it happen for next year as we're fully booked - but maybe 2020?

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:49 am

Devil Heart wrote:I do enjoy the absurdity of a furry teacup! It's that love of surfaces (tactile/conceptual/cultural) well met....and volume that drives me. Yes indeed, a nowadays Dada and Pop am I. Current loves are Ann Hamilton and Ai Weiwei...among many, many others. Yes, I was at formal art school too - but as I'm sure we artists agree, there is no real ending the the art learning.

Right?

Though as an artist, I do find myself to be slacking. Perhaps it's because of that feeling that schoolwork's still hovering around and I'm supposed to finish them, but I don't do my daily drawing-learning. I find myself amazed by people who actually draw every day like it's nothing, and they do so to relax, unlike me who's only expressing through word of mouth "I like art" without proving it.

I want to be more like. I want to draw more - in between my daily note-taking.
Devil Heart wrote:I have been enjoying your Manga very much Gigaverse, that movement and tilt in the drawn piece you shared with us above is so very expressive!

Thank you! That one's still my best piece of her yet. I've been trying to do the girl justice by drawing her better, but so far, not much luck. Maybe I'm just that harsh a self-critic, but I certainly found my later takes of her to be regressions that I've learned relatively little from.
Devil Heart wrote:I do a gallery coordinator job - it's in my heart to have an exhibition in the gallery space I work at of Manga and Anime - gotta somehow rally the artists that create this art and make it happen. Wish me well! I can't make it happen for next year as we're fully booked - but maybe 2020?

Oh huh? This is certainly a pleasant surprise. Keep me up to date with the news if you can, I'm more than interested.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:49 am

Oh yeah, I've since done another one:

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:00 pm

Gigaverse wrote:Oh yeah, I've since done another one:

Nice. What's with the two extra dots in her eyes? I am finding myself distracted by them.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:38 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:Oh yeah, I've since done another one:

Nice. What's with the two extra dots in her eyes? I am finding myself distracted by them.

I guess those are supposed to be light being reflected in them...? I still suck in that department.

Devil Heart
Spokesperson

Postby Devil Heart » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:54 pm

The Black Forest has an interesting point, but I'm guessing this is an unfinished piece by you Gigaverse - this is nothing a bit of graphite around the iris and darker into the pupil wouldn't fix, which you're no doubt planning on doing down the track :D

I most certainly will let you know about this exhibition Gigaverse! Or any others interested. What sort of interest did you have? General or as one of the exhibiting artists? We have no doubt a problem of distance but in this digital age I'm sure something can be worked out.

I'm a time waster artwise too, I love the creative stuff in my head, or a litany of half completed playful ideas I have around the place. Exhibitions make me 'angsty' but do push me to bring work to a conclusion. And in the end, this does spark other creative directions, it's all a process I guess.

But, I think like you (and many other artists here and elsewhere) sometimes I have so much going on that the making of art can grind to a halt. The good news is (or so I've learnt over the years) the artist is always there, and will come back where the drive is strong enough. Making art isn't a thing one can just walk away from completely, believe me I've tried. I don't try anymore, I've found ignoring the compulsion to art just makes me tired and even tiresome to be around. In a way, realising the arty compulsions aren't ever going to go away helps me to remember to make time for it, however sporadic.

Victoriala II
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Victoriala II » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:08 am

Samporna
Envoy

Founded: Nov 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Samporna » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:58 am

AABCDDDDDD
AABCDDDDDD
AABCDDDDDD
Current RP : None | Leader : Faatrik bin Samporna | Government : Direct Democracy | Religion : Islam | Capital : Kutawatu | Location : Southeast Asia
NEWS: Samporna voices support for New Palembang City Mayor candidate Aida binti Malikusalleh, a female resident of the city. | Samporna denounces Hindustan for atrocities against Maldivian Muslims.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction