NATION

PASSWORD

The Fallout Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you have Fallout 4 yet?

yes, and its the best game i've ever played ever
35%
yes and i hate it. refund when?
9%
maybe idk
10%
no but im buying it by the end of the year
12%
no and ill never play a fallout game in my entire life
5%
this pull fucking sucks who let you be op
29%

Total votes : 1009

Great Savaya
Attaché

Founded: Jul 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Savaya » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:08 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Great Savaya wrote:Well, Synths aren't biologically human.

They're made from human DNA. Shaun's DNA.

They're not human, but they are people.

So if i make a burger using cows meat, the burger is not an animal, but it's a cow?
22 year old white Christian middle class male, actually working to get money instead of living off daddies pension and complaining about capitalism.
Unironic Nazi and Orthodox Christian.

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Founded: Feb 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:08 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
The Islands of Versilia wrote:Ya know that guy in the Institute who thinks the whole thing should have more attention and research to it?
I like him.

Well, I like Scribe Haylen from the BoS who's not as extreme towards Synths. But one person isn't going to make a difference in any given faction, particularly if the others just brush them off like that Institute guy you're talking about.

Aye.... :(
I wish there was more choice in how the sole survivor could shape their faction with their choices.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Palaeolithic and Bronze Age-inspired FanT-MT civilization of humans and vampiresque hominins living peacefully together in a habitable Greenland presided over by a semi-elective phylarchic monarchy with an A S C E N D E D vampiric hominin from Georgia as queen.
Rate me as Prime Minister

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:10 pm

The Islands of Versilia wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
Well, I like Scribe Haylen from the BoS who's not as extreme towards Synths. But one person isn't going to make a difference in any given faction, particularly if the others just brush them off like that Institute guy you're talking about.

Aye.... :(
I wish there was more choice in how the sole survivor could shape their faction with their choices.

That'd take away from storytelling.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:10 pm

Great Savaya wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
They're made from human DNA. Shaun's DNA.

They're not human, but they are people.

So if i make a burger using cows meat, the burger is not an animal, but it's a cow?

Burgers aren't sentient, independent beings.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Great Savaya
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Savaya » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:11 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Great Savaya wrote:

Burgers aren't sentient.

Maybe you got a point there.
However the Synths were designed as servants.
22 year old white Christian middle class male, actually working to get money instead of living off daddies pension and complaining about capitalism.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:13 pm

Great Savaya wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
Burgers aren't sentient.

Maybe you got a point there.

You could say that Black slaves were bred to be servants, no?

Anyway, if that were the case they shouldn't have made them completely indistinguishable from a human being to the point where they can be self-motivated and free-thinking.

Great Savaya
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Savaya » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:14 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Great Savaya wrote:Maybe you got a point there.

Anyway, if that were the case they shouldn't have made them completely indistinguishable from a human being to the point where they can be self-motivated and free-thinking.

The first Africans were created as free human beings, and freedom is the universal right for all humans.
However as you said yourself, Synths are not human. The Institute in my opinion is doing the right thing to save humanity.

They do have toilet paper after all!

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:21 pm

What's with this weird belief that he Institute is doing what it does for humanity? It just keeps to itself. It's not trying to build the whole world up from scratch like House, or preserve the old United States like the Enclave. They just sit around for the most part.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:22 pm

Great Savaya wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

The first Africans were created as free human beings, and freedom is the universal right for all humans.
However as you said yourself, Synths are not human. The Institute in my opinion is doing the right thing to save humanity.

Toilet paper is something the entire wasteland needs, yes.
A fusion of the Minutemen and the Institute's tech would be the way I'd end Fallout 4.
If I could.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Palaeolithic and Bronze Age-inspired FanT-MT civilization of humans and vampiresque hominins living peacefully together in a habitable Greenland presided over by a semi-elective phylarchic monarchy with an A S C E N D E D vampiric hominin from Georgia as queen.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:24 pm

Great Savaya wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

So it's fine to enslave non-human sentients? Should we chain up all the ghouls then and make them do our dirty work?

And no, they're not. They're perfectly fine killing off humans on the surface whenever they need to satiate their curiosity.

You know that Father's pet projects caused the Super Mutant infestation in the Commonwealth, right? They brought the FEV over here and then experimented on kidnapped people with it, turning them into Super mutants and then releasing them.

In fact, Swan, the behemoth in Swan's Pond, was their first victim. And the thing is, there was no reason to do the FEV tests, they always failed to do what the Institute was looking for it to do, but they kept kidnapping people and then subjecting them to the FEV for no reason. They only stopped because Virgil sabotaged it and left the Institute.

Gloriana Americana
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Gloriana Americana » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:33 pm

I'm sorry, but siding with the Institute literally makes no sense. I mean they killed your spouse and kidnapped your son, right? So why would you side with them? Shaun at least has an excuse, he was probably brainwashed since then. Idk about any of you guys, but if I had that happen to be I'd mercilessly destroy them. I don't give a damn what their reasons were.

Of course that doesn't even scratch the surface of how immoral they are, I mean they make the Legion look like saints.
- U S A -
Gloriana Americana represents an alternate history of United States of America (and should be referred to as the US, USA, United States, America, or United States of America instead of the NS nation's name), so please keep that in mind when dealing with my nation ICly, canonically or not.
Questions? Ask them here!

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:53 pm

Gloriana Americana wrote:
Of course that doesn't even scratch the surface of how immoral they are, I mean they make the Legion look like saints.

Ehhh....

I'd rank the Institute a bit higher on the moral meter than the Legion, raiders would be less moral than the Legion, and the Fiends would be the least moral.

Alekseandrea
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Alekseandrea » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:42 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Great Savaya wrote:

Well, are synths truly that?

Have you ever heard about the "Chinese room" thought experiment?
[url]
‎https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_room[/url]

Either synths are conscious beings OR they simulate consious beings.

I believe they simulate them.

Why?

1. They can be reprogrammed for other tasks (Coursers) and their memories can be replaced without much issue (institute mind-wiping, railroad messing around), Curie's memories can be copied to a synth without issue showing us that they ARE, without doubt, robots.

2. Well, there are self-aware AI's in fallout, but those are room-sized. That's several magnitudes larger than what can be put in a synth.

3. The institute didn't start from scratch to build the gen 3 synths. The gen 1 and gen 2 synths came first. If gen 1 and 2's aren't self-aware, why would gen 3's be?

4. The institute, the faction who designed and builds them, considers them to be automata, little different from other robots.

5. There is no reason why synths would NEED to be sentient or self-aware.
"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

Qui-Gon Jinn

A quote from my most trusted advisor:

"Pet a dog and he'll bite you in the ass.
Shoot a dog and he'll never bother you again."

Mr. Nibbles ~ PhD, professional Animalia Chordata Mammalia Carnivora Feliformia Felidae Felinae Felis F. catus

Anywhere Else But Here wrote:Temporarily ruined forever.

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:46 pm

Alekseandrea wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

[url]

Why?

1. They can be reprogrammed for other tasks (Coursers) and their memories can be replaced without much issue (institute mind-wiping, railroad messing around), Curie's memories can be copied to a synth without issue showing us that they ARE, without doubt, robots.

2. Well, there are self-aware AI's in fallout, but those are room-sized. That's several magnitudes larger than what can be put in a synth.

3. The institute didn't start from scratch to build the gen 3 synths. The gen 1 and gen 2 synths came first. If gen 1 and 2's aren't self-aware, why would gen 3's be?

4. The institute, the faction who designed and builds them, considers them to be automata, little different from other robots.

Those are some good points.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Great Savaya
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Savaya » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Great Savaya wrote:The first Africans were created as free human beings, and freedom is the universal right for all humans.

So it's fine to enslave non-human sentients? Should we chain up all the ghouls then and make them do our dirty work?

And no, they're not. They're perfectly fine killing off humans on the surface whenever they need to satiate their curiosity.

You know that Father's pet projects caused the Super Mutant infestation in the Commonwealth, right? They brought the FEV over here and then experimented on kidnapped people with it, turning them into Super mutants and then releasing them.

In fact, Swan, the behemoth in Swan's Pond, was their first victim. And the thing is, there was no reason to do the FEV tests, they always failed to do what the Institute was looking for it to do, but they kept kidnapping people and then subjecting them to the FEV for no reason. They only stopped because Virgil sabotaged it and left the Institute.

Ghouls were created from radiation as hideous abominations, but they're humans technically.
The Synths were created as machines, loyal androids.

Prusslandia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Prusslandia » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm

I'd easily side with the Institute. Why? Because the people that had my spouse kid and stole my child are long gone. They have no sway over the organization, and furthermore, I am made acting Director. The Institute has the best capacity for good in the Commonwealth, in terms of uplifting the life of the average Wastelander. It merely takes some prodding.

Also, I'll agree that a synth is sentient. It is not, however, sapient. They simulate it, but only when programmed to do so. With true sapience, they'd be able to escape their base programming after a memory wipe. The entire existence of Harkness in 3 disproves this.

It's function was a primarily tactical one, the retrieving of synths and the elimination of hostiles. When it underwent a memory wipe, this function should be erased. Yet it "chooses" to become a guard of Rivet City, a combat role. This is an example supporting that a synth cannot escape it's programming, as they are a tool. A person can ignore their baser instincts, they can choose to not give in. A synth, on the other hand, cannot.

Additionally, DiMA and Nick are not applicable examples. Nick's OS is that of two pre-existing Human brainscans, thus making him a person, not a synth. He is sapient.

DiMA, like Nick, is an experiment. He was allowed to freely develop his personality with no base function. Hence, DiMA achieved sapience.

Long story short, synths are more on the line of an intelligent dog, rather than a person.
Add 7000 to 8000 posts to my post count.
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
I’m back owo

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:01 pm

Alekseandrea wrote:

[url]

Why?

1. Simulating conscious beings would require that they're always implanted with a personality. Some Synths are, like Nick, but others can develop their own personalities, this is obvious from the mind-wipes. Synths are partially mechanical, that's true and undeniable. However they are largely biological, they're grown with biological components derived from Shaun's DNA. And in fact, cannibals can eat Synths and literally not tell that it's different from a human. This would put them somewhere in-between human clones and cyborgs, not robots.

2. Synths, and basically anything else the Institute makes, blows pre-war tech out of the water. Unless that thing is their laser weapons.

3. Because the Institute made them to be self-aware, for the same reason real life scientists want to make self-aware robots. Because it's a major scientific breakthrough, and because they can. Of course the Institute does this and still claims they're just machines in the same vein as toasters.

4. So? The Institute can be wrong. As it is a lot of the time.

5. You're right, the Institute didn't need to make sentient bio-mechanical beings. But they did because they can. *Insert Maxson saying "science run amok"*
Last edited by Salus Maior on Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Savaya
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Savaya » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:11 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Alekseandrea wrote:

[url]

Why?

1. Simulating conscious beings would require that they're always implanted with a personality. Some Synths are, like Nick, but others can develop their own personalities, this is obvious from the mind-wipes. Synths are partially mechanical, that's true and undeniable. However they are largely biological, they're grown with biological components derived from Shaun's DNA. And in fact, cannibals can eat Synths and literally not tell that it's different from a human. This would put them somewhere in-between human clones and cyborgs, not robots.

2. Synths, and basically anything else the Institute makes, blows pre-war tech out of the water. Unless that thing is their laser weapons.

3. Because the Institute made them to be self-aware, for the same reason real life scientists want to make self-aware robots. Because it's a major scientific breakthrough, and because they can. Of course the Institute does this and still claims they're just machines in the same vein as toasters.

4. So? The Institute can be wrong. As it is a lot of the time.

5. You're right, the Institute didn't need to make sentient bio-mechanical beings. But they did because they can. *Insert Maxson saying "science run amok"*

They do not share the same worth as a human.

They were CREATED with a PURPOSE.

Sevvania
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 12, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sevvania » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:12 pm

Alekseandrea wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

[url]

Why?

Obligatory "Ghosts in the Machine" monologue.

1. Humans can be "reprogrammed," at least in the Fallout universe: the United States developed the CODE (Challenge, Opportunity, Discipline, Ethics) program to recondition soldiers and prisoners of war. Curie's mechanical memories are transcribed into a Synth's consciousness, but so are Kellogg's, and Kellogg was a human.
2. The Fallout wiki lists the Synths as the most advanced example of artificial intelligence.
3. Gen 1 and Gen 2 do exhibit a degree of self-awareness. They talk to themselves. Question. But they are also purely mechanical and lack a proper "brain". This is not the case with the third Generation, which are essentially 3D printed biomass cloned from human DNA. At various points in Fallout 4, the Gen 3 Synths are described as biologically indistinguishable from traditional humans: only an autopsy can distinguish between the two, most likely by finding whatever cybernetics the Institute implants them with.
4. But they most definitely are distinct from robots, and the fact that they were produced for a specific purpose doesn't mean that they can't deviate from that purpose.
5. I whole-heartedly agree: There is no reason for Synths to be self-aware. And this is why I consider the Institute to be too stupid to live. They get so caught up in the "Can we?" that "Should we?" gets thrown out the window. They already had a legion of reliable mechanical janitors to fulfill whatever menial labor needed to be done. Something they could smack around as much as they wanted to. Something that did not feel, or desire, or fear.

Then they wanted to make a Synth that could do those things. "I want something that can resent me for treating it like garbage," someone must have said.
"Simulates resent," someone must have replied.
"What's the difference?"
"One actually hates you, the other just thinks that it hates you."
"Which will be an excellent consolation when we're both smoldering in an irradiated crater together."
"I concur."
"Humble thyself and hold thy tongue."

Current Era: 1945
NationStates Stat Card - Sevvania
OFFICIAL FACTBOOK - Sevvania
4/1/13 - Never Forget

Prusslandia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Prusslandia » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:15 pm

Does my point not make sense?
Add 7000 to 8000 posts to my post count.
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
I’m back owo

Great Savaya
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Savaya » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:19 pm

None of what you people said gives me reason to believe that Synths should be liberated. Nothing you said changes the fact that they're machines.

Great Savaya
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Savaya » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:19 pm

Prusslandia wrote:I'd easily side with the Institute. Why? Because the people that had my spouse kid and stole my child are long gone. They have no sway over the organization, and furthermore, I am made acting Director. The Institute has the best capacity for good in the Commonwealth, in terms of uplifting the life of the average Wastelander. It merely takes some prodding.

Also, I'll agree that a synth is sentient. It is not, however, sapient. They simulate it, but only when programmed to do so. With true sapience, they'd be able to escape their base programming after a memory wipe. The entire existence of Harkness in 3 disproves this.

It's function was a primarily tactical one, the retrieving of synths and the elimination of hostiles. When it underwent a memory wipe, this function should be erased. Yet it "chooses" to become a guard of Rivet City, a combat role. This is an example supporting that a synth cannot escape it's programming, as they are a tool. A person can ignore their baser instincts, they can choose to not give in. A synth, on the other hand, cannot.

Additionally, DiMA and Nick are not applicable examples. Nick's OS is that of two pre-existing Human brainscans, thus making him a person, not a synth. He is sapient.

DiMA, like Nick, is an experiment. He was allowed to freely develop his personality with no base function. Hence, DiMA achieved sapience.

Long story short, synths are more on the line of an intelligent dog, rather than a person.

Finally a good point.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:26 pm

Great Savaya wrote:
They do not share the same worth as a human.

They were CREATED with a PURPOSE.

So? As a Christian I believe humans are created with a purpose. That doesn't make them anything less.

In a secular point of view, how would you feel if scientists cloned human beings and through genetic science figured out how to program them to be soldiers, or servants, or whatever. Is that right or ethical?

Gloriana Americana
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Gloriana Americana » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:26 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Gloriana Americana wrote:

Ehhh....

I'd rank the Institute a bit higher on the moral meter than the Legion, raiders would be less moral than the Legion, and the Fiends would be the least moral.

I wouldn't. At least most of the Legion's victims are killed, most of the Institute's are test subjects which is arguably even worse. The Legion might not give you a quick, painless death (the opposite is far more likely), but at least you actually die, and human too. The Institute might be more civilized than the Legion, but they're far less moral. At least Caesar can draw the line somewhere even if it is rare for him to do so, I don't think the Institute even does that.
Last edited by Gloriana Americana on Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- U S A -
Gloriana Americana represents an alternate history of United States of America (and should be referred to as the US, USA, United States, America, or United States of America instead of the NS nation's name), so please keep that in mind when dealing with my nation ICly, canonically or not.
Questions? Ask them here!

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:31 pm

Yeah, while the Institute does have a lot of potential they are pretty damn evil.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction