NATION

PASSWORD

The Fallout Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you have Fallout 4 yet?

yes, and its the best game i've ever played ever
35%
yes and i hate it. refund when?
9%
maybe idk
10%
no but im buying it by the end of the year
12%
no and ill never play a fallout game in my entire life
5%
this pull fucking sucks who let you be op
29%

Total votes : 1009

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:45 pm

Eastern Equestria wrote:So fellas, what's the verdict? Should I buy this game? I've got the funds. It's just a matter of being persuaded.

do you like fps's I think is the most pertinent question. It's a bit lighter on "RPG elements" than 3 or NV was. If you went from Mass effect 1 to 2 and though "GAh what have they done to my wonderful RPG?!" then I'd spare yourself some pain and wait till it was cheaper to buy it. If on the other hand your open to slicker combat with usable guns and not relying on VATS so much it's right up your street. Also bonus points if you like games like minecraft or the forest as there is an entirely optional aspect of building up settlements/creating your own perfect base. Also if you liked Borderlands the weapon modification system is sort of similar except it's not quite as ambitious as the borderlands one whilst retaining enough variety to feel extensive.
British, Anglo Celtic, English, Northerner.

Transhumanist, Left Hegelian, Marxist, Communist.

Agnostic Theist, Culturally Christian.

Eastern Equestria
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Eastern Equestria » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:04 pm

Olivaero wrote:
Eastern Equestria wrote:So fellas, what's the verdict? Should I buy this game? I've got the funds. It's just a matter of being persuaded.

do you like fps's I think is the most pertinent question. It's a bit lighter on "RPG elements" than 3 or NV was. If you went from Mass effect 1 to 2 and though "GAh what have they done to my wonderful RPG?!" then I'd spare yourself some pain and wait till it was cheaper to buy it. If on the other hand your open to slicker combat with usable guns and not relying on VATS so much it's right up your street. Also bonus points if you like games like minecraft or the forest as there is an entirely optional aspect of building up settlements/creating your own perfect base. Also if you liked Borderlands the weapon modification system is sort of similar except it's not quite as ambitious as the borderlands one whilst retaining enough variety to feel extensive.

First person shooters ARE. MY. JAM. (Well, those and combat flight simulators)

I could definitely go without VATS, and the settlement building sounds fantastic. All of which aside, I'm still recovering from my experience from Destiny and could really go for a decent RPG right about now.

Benomia 3
Minister

Founded: Jan 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Benomia 3 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:22 pm

okay seriously how to I get ammo

I made it to Lexington, got ambushed by a hoard of about twenty ghouls, ran out of ammo halfway through the fight, took them all out with Unarmed and then GTFO'd back to Sanctuary as fast as possible.

I can't craft ammo here what do I do

Daburuetchi wrote:
Benomia 3 wrote:You very, very clearly have not played the game.

The opening shows you all of that. The Vault-Tec official is swallowing his soul as he tries to coax you into joining the vault. The people DO try to push past the guard - it's suggested later that the guards had order to detain and kill anyone who tried to push in. They were running as fast as they reasonably could to the gate.

Not to mention that the timespan between "the president announcing that New York has been bombed" and "Boston getting bombed" is all of four minutes. Nobody had any real idea what was going on.

Ever seen Fahrenheit 451? Shitty movie adaptation of a great book, but that's basically what's going on in 2077 America. Nobody's really happy, but what can they do?

A major part of the Fallout atmosphere is that everyone in America was grossly patriotic, even though they had absolutely no reason to be.

Does watching and not playing through a heavily scripted linear cutscene in which you cant barely do anything anyhow make my opinion less valid when i've played every game except tactics? According to everything i know America was a hell whole mired in paranoia and yet no one looks the least bit poor, downtrodden or worried. The valut-tech guy swallowed his pride? It's literally his job to get people to sign up. They need people to as either guinea pigs or control groups for the experiments so it aint like he's a hero or this is a sign of the dangers of the age. People lightly tapping a guard is ludicrous considering everyone should be rioting like in the Metro Last Light live action trailer. There was barely any sense of urgency at all. Yes i'm aware of the gross patriotism in fallout but that does not excuse such a clumsy set up to the universe. Call me a purist. Im sure the rest of the game is fine. But the opening does not convey a tone of horror or dread or really anything you would associate with a hyper militarized retro-futuristic dystonia in economic freefall

Your interpretations are wrong, your knowledge of the lore is wrong, and your conclusions based on that knowledge and interpretations are doubly wrong.

Daburuetchi wrote:
The Hobbesian Metaphysician wrote:
Because these people were for a lack of better phrase "rich as hell". I mean sanctuary hills was clearly where the more wealthy americans lived in part of that area, and thus didn't have to experience Power Armored troops being deployed on the streets to control the crowds of less fortunate rioting for bread. The drills had become so constant that is the reason many vaults went unfilled because people simply didn't care, and who can blame them in such a world?

Oil is 1450.99 dollars per gallon. Only the enclave and people like mr. House should live in comfort. I might just be nitpicking but everything is too rosy and cheery.

Oil wasn't really used that much at the time. Cars and many household appliances ran on nuclear energy.

Like, did you even play Dead Money? A large part of America just prior to the bombs falling was living in blissful splendor.

Daburuetchi wrote:
The Hobbesian Metaphysician wrote:Yet what people forget is that atomic powered vehicles were available in modest supply by the time the bombs dropped. Hence why the terrible canon breaking game of Fallout 3 had plenty of them in the DC suburbs, and downtown.

I was always under the impression that nuclear energy simply wasn't in wide enough usage to satisfy needs and that what drove China to invade Alaska in the first place. I guess Fallout 3 did kinda break the canon since in Fallout 2 you literally have to rerig an entire car to run on microfushion powercells I don't think the opening is horrible but it does nothing to insulate any of the social upheavals of the time.

They weren't that common place in China.

Daburuetchi wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:Yes, but nobody used gas any more. Like THM said, everything was nuclear-powered. FO4 gas stations have prices for coolant, and you can even find some at the Lexington Red Rocket.

Then there is literally no reason for the Great War or the Resources wars to occur so there should be no game. Kinda plot breaking

Again, you're simply wrong. Oil wasn't the only resource that was scarce and nuclear power wasn't as commonplace in China. The invasion of Anchorage was just the spark that lit the world on fire.
All power to the brave.
Please, call me Benomia. Formerly known as Benomia and Bezombia. Post count +43875, founded 23 October 2012. This nation doesn't remotely represent my views.

Krazakistan
Negotiator

Founded: May 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Krazakistan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:08 pm

'This vertical slice of pre-war American life is clearly representative of America as a whole you guys!'

Daburuetchi this is you right now.
Last edited by Krazakistan on Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Secularism, restricted immigration policy, against affirmative action, voter ID laws, gun rights, democracy, free-market capitalism, egalitarianism, nationalism, and lastly, Rhodesia > Zimbabwe

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.56
"On the other hand, and let's face it, there's always another hand, unless you're a Saudi Arabian shoplifter of course, hurt feelings can be quite traumatic. I've heard that it can take seconds, sometimes even minutes, to get over it" ~ Pat Condell

"Communism works only in heaven, where they don't need it, and in hell, where they've already got it." ~ Ronald Reagan

"Communism was a mistake" ~ (((((((((Karl Marx)))))))))
CANT STUMP THE TRUMP

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:14 pm

Benomia 3 wrote:okay seriously how to I get ammo

I made it to Lexington, got ambushed by a hoard of about twenty ghouls, ran out of ammo halfway through the fight, took them all out with Unarmed and then GTFO'd back to Sanctuary as fast as possible.

I can't craft ammo here what do I do

You. Loot. Everything.

It also might help if you take that one perk that lets you scavenge more ammo, under luck. I am in no way hurting for means to lay on the hurt.

Lexington is fucking infested. There's some good loot in the supermarket (including a fusion core), but if you don't move slowly you will be fucking dead.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

May Mays
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby May Mays » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:19 pm

What I love about the new Fallout is how all those cups and abraxo cleaner I pick up on accident while trying to take a weapon off a shelf is actually useful now.
It's just me against the world.

RIP ZYZZ
Husseinarti wrote:yeah fun is shitty and gay

Daburuetchi
Minister

Founded: Sep 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Daburuetchi » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:21 pm

Krazakistan wrote:'This vertical slice of pre-war American life is clearly representative of America as a whole you guys!'

When you're trying to tell a story it's a good idea to convey so exposition and tone. The opening really is a poor set up to the universe and the events that lead to the Great War. Never mind the fact that it is painfully linear.
Last edited by Daburuetchi on Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Oyashima
Minister

Founded: Oct 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Oyashima » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:22 pm

Daburuetchi wrote:The oopening really is a poor set up to the universe and the vents that lead to the Great War.

From the average civilian POV?

Benomia 3
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Benomia 3 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:23 pm

Daburuetchi wrote:
Krazakistan wrote:'This vertical slice of pre-war American life is clearly representative of America as a whole you guys!'

When you're trying to tell s story it's a good idea to convey so exposition and ton. The oopening really is a poor set up to the universe and the vents that lead to the Great War. Never mind the fact that it is painfully linear.

>game with four prequels and a bible's worth of exposition needs more expositon
>game that's open world is too linear

ok
All power to the brave.
Please, call me Benomia. Formerly known as Benomia and Bezombia. Post count +43875, founded 23 October 2012. This nation doesn't remotely represent my views.

Benomia 3
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Benomia 3 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:25 pm

So companion kills don't count towards XP in FO4, huh?

Guess I'm playing this one solo.
All power to the brave.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:28 pm

New Oyashima wrote:
Daburuetchi wrote:The oopening really is a poor set up to the universe and the vents that lead to the Great War.

From the average civilian POV?

On a related note, I'm really fucking happy that there's now a reason behind my character asking everyone every question. She legitimately has no fucking reason to know what the fuck's going on.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.

Daburuetchi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daburuetchi » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:29 pm

Benomia 3 wrote:
Again, you're simply wrong. Oil wasn't the only resource that was scarce and nuclear power wasn't as commonplace in China. The invasion of Anchorage was just the spark that lit the world on fire.

The story still would not make sense since the resources wars with the Middle East and The European Commonwealth was about oil. It also doesn't make sense why the US would bother building Poseidon oil rig or how that company wasn't driven out of business. The whole point of the US annexing Cannada was about protecting gas pipelines so literally the entire story makes no sense after fallout 3 added nuclear powered everything

Daburuetchi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daburuetchi » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:30 pm

Benomia 3 wrote:
Daburuetchi wrote:
When you're trying to tell s story it's a good idea to convey so exposition and ton. The oopening really is a poor set up to the universe and the vents that lead to the Great War. Never mind the fact that it is painfully linear.

>game with four prequels and a bible's worth of exposition needs more expositon

ok

M8 never fucking mind you deliberately distort my point.

Benomia 3
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Benomia 3 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:41 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
New Oyashima wrote:From the average civilian POV?

On a related note, I'm really fucking happy that there's now a reason behind my character asking everyone every question. She legitimately has no fucking reason to know what the fuck's going on.

Tbh that was kinda the same with FO3 and FNV too.
All power to the brave.

May Mays
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby May Mays » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:48 pm

Daburuetchi wrote:
Benomia 3 wrote:>game with four prequels and a bible's worth of exposition needs more expositon

ok

Dude there's literally like 6 Fallout games released before this one.

I mean who the heck has never played any?

RIP ZYZZ

May Mays
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby May Mays » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:49 pm

Benomia 3 wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:On a related note, I'm really fucking happy that there's now a reason behind my character asking everyone every question. She legitimately has no fucking reason to know what the fuck's going on.

Tbh that was kinda the same with FO3 and FNV too.

FNV not as much. You're supposed to be an experienced courier.

RIP ZYZZ

Licana
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:51 pm

May Mays wrote:
Benomia 3 wrote:Tbh that was kinda the same with FO3 and FNV too.

With severe brain trauma. :>

though tbh I never asked those kind questions again after about the first playthrough in any Fallout game.
>American education
[19:21] <Lubyak> I want to go and wank all over him.
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

Benomia 3
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Benomia 3 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:52 pm

May Mays wrote:
Benomia 3 wrote:Tbh that was kinda the same with FO3 and FNV too.

The canon states only that you've delivered two packages - the one from LR and the platinum chip. The one from LR was about six months prior to the story. It's entirely possible that the Courier was an immigrant from Montana or something who picked up courieing as a side job and didn't really know the land prior to the story.

They really did leave you with a lot of breathing room in FNV.
All power to the brave.

Vendrick
Attaché

Founded: Mar 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vendrick » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:52 pm

Hello there, fellow Vault-dwellers.

I'm gauging interest for a small Fallout NV RP. Thread's right here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=360578

Just drop by if interested.
Genius, Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist
War Never Changes

Daburuetchi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daburuetchi » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:55 pm

May Mays wrote:
Daburuetchi wrote:

Dude there's literally like 6 Fallout games released before this one.

Literally that is not my arguement. I'm saying the tone and setting of the new game doesn't mesh well with the universe and what was happening. That's fucking it.

Benomia 3
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Benomia 3 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:56 pm

Daburuetchi wrote:
May Mays wrote:Dude there's literally like 6 Fallout games released before this one.

Literally that is not my arguement. I'm saying the tone and setting of the new game doesn't mesh well with the universe and what was happening. That's fucking it.

The new game IS the tone and setting of the universe, though.

I mean just look at FNV. There was NO trace of pre-war decadence there. It was all washed clean when the bombs fell, obviously. I'm not sure what you think the issue is.
All power to the brave.

Benomia 3
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Benomia 3 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:01 pm

All power to the brave.

May Mays
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby May Mays » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:06 pm

Daburuetchi wrote:
May Mays wrote:Dude there's literally like 6 Fallout games released before this one.

Well that's because nobody was aware of what was going on.

I imagine that most people who purchased space in a vault were already inside their vaults when the President announced that bombs had been dropped.

I don't think that people would be panicking and rioting, simply because I expect the government deliberately tried to hide information from the public. It is supposed to be a cold-war US.

RIP ZYZZ

Licana
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:16 pm

best faction reporting in :>>>

edit: potential light spoilers, if you're super srs about avoiding anything FO4 related.
Last edited by Licana on Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>American education
[19:21] <Lubyak> I want to go and wank all over him.
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:19 pm

"OH NO MY BABY IS KIDNAPPED"

*proceeds to dick around in the wasteland*
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction