NATION

PASSWORD

The Fallout Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you have Fallout 4 yet?

yes, and its the best game i've ever played ever
35%
yes and i hate it. refund when?
9%
maybe idk
10%
no but im buying it by the end of the year
12%
no and ill never play a fallout game in my entire life
5%
this pull fucking sucks who let you be op
29%

Total votes : 1009

The Unhallowed City
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Unhallowed City » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:49 am

New Frenco Empire wrote:
Just entered the Institute. God I want to murder everyone here so much. Gotta keep the friendly face on for Shaun, I suppose.
Also, shame on you, Dr. Li. I wanted some good FO3 references from you!

I, too, was disappointed by the lack of references.
New Frenco Empire wrote:
Haven't got there yet. It'll be so satisfying to see it go down in flames.

Still wish you coulda captured it for the Minutemen or something. Rename it the CMS Freedum!

That would have been neat.
I wanted to capture it for myself and use it as a sort of settlement, but I guess there are limits to what shenanigans are allowed. Clearing out an entire base of knights and paladins would be pretty absurd.

New Frenco Empire wrote:I mean, from a progression standpoint, there's no denying Fallout 4 is probably the best one. It brings so much new life to the series that it makes NV look like a withered skeleton in comparison.

If Obsidian follows up with another game using Fallout 4's formula, though...

On-topic - now that everyone's used to it, what are your final opinions on the voiced protagonist? As someone who was skeptical at first, I've actually grown to love it. Not sure why. I guess it just helps with making the world seem that much more alive. Everytime I pick a lock and my character mutters "sweet" or "nice" to herself, I just smile.

Pretty much this. The voice acting has me actually listening to dialogue, rather than rapid fire clicking through it like I did in NV and 3. Well, mostly. There was the occasional quest I cared enough about to listen through.

It just occurred to me that visiting this thread, what with all the spoilers, must be like tip-toeing through a minefield. :p

Novaya Tselinoyarsk
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Novaya Tselinoyarsk » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:11 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Novaya Tselinoyarsk wrote:I set up Sanctuary Hills like a star fort, it's been raided twice and each time the enemies get owned to oblivion and don't even make it inside for the booby traps.

My forts aren't anything fancy, Sanctuary hills is easily my most heavily defended but ive not really been going all out on the settlement building. For my next character though i plan on going all out on it and building fortresses everywhere, believe ill also play a female character next as well and see what that character's actress is like.

I'm hoping mods will make settlement building MUCH easier, because right now it's super fucking annoying in my opinion. I'm hoping for menus to be able to tell people what to do instead of having to run to them and do it. Also an automatic grid when laying down things like walls, or especially food.
Proletariacka Rzeczpospolita Nowy Tselinoyarsk
Proletarskaya Respubliki Novaya Tselinoyarsk

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:04 am

New Frenco Empire wrote:On-topic - now that everyone's used to it, what are your final opinions on the voiced protagonist? As someone who was skeptical at first, I've actually grown to love it. Not sure why. I guess it just helps with making the world seem that much more alive. Everytime I pick a lock and my character mutters "sweet" or "nice" to herself, I just smile.

It weirded me out a bit at first, not being used to hearing a protagonist in Fallout. I was actually convinced it was beneficial the first time I picked a lock and muttered 'nice' under my breath only to hear the character say the exact same thing a moment later. I knew me and the voice actor for female vault-dweller were going to get along fine after that (the 'sarcastic' option in dialogue helped as well).
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:12 am

I like that the player character can speak, it did not bother me at all when it was announced and thought it was a cool idea, and i think its been really good so far, the male voice actor is quite good and its nice, as others have said to hear your character say things like "nice" and "sweet" when you pick a lock or something similar, so yeah big positive in my books

Also i was just talking to this guy at a place called Finch Farm, and a vertibird suicided into a bridge not that far in the distance, a giant fire ball near engulfed the farm and no one seems to care.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:30 am

So i was fighting a group of raiders called the forged (obsessed with fire) and i found this list of people who "failed the forge" and just look at some of this madness:

YANCEY
Refused to change name
Fed to Forge

DUKE
Died without permission during Second Trial
Fed to Forge

HOOD
Caught stealing rations
Fed molten iron

RIPTIDE
Cried during final trial
Fed to forge

These guys are fucking mental, they even flayed a guy for giving meds to the enemy, the Boltons would love this.
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

The Unhallowed City
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Unhallowed City » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:53 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Also i was just talking to this guy at a place called Finch Farm, and a vertibird suicided into a bridge not that far in the distance, a giant fire ball near engulfed the farm and no one seems to care.

This is the only thing that genuinely bothers me. The Vertibird's AI is so derpy. I'll be taking a walk through near Boston and see three or four of the damn things before the day's out, and at least two will suicide into a building or tall tree because they're trying so hard to get a firing line on the muties.

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:58 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:So i was fighting a group of raiders called the forged (obsessed with fire) and i found this list of people who "failed the forge" and just look at some of this madness:

YANCEY
Refused to change name
Fed to Forge

DUKE
Died without permission during Second Trial
Fed to Forge

HOOD
Caught stealing rations
Fed molten iron

RIPTIDE
Cried during final trial
Fed to forge

These guys are fucking mental, they even flayed a guy for giving meds to the enemy, the Boltons would love this.

The first two are fantastic; Yancey was fed to the fire for not changing his name, and Duke "died without permission".

Literally how I would run a group of Bandits
Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search for our better selves?
In Egypt's sandy silence, all alone,
Stands a gigantic Leg, which far off throws
The only shadow that the Desert knows:—
"I am great OZYMANDIAS," saith the stone,
"The King of Kings; this mighty City shows
"The wonders of my hand." The City's gone,
Nought but the Leg remaining to disclose
The site of this forgotten Babylon.

We wonder, and some Hunter may express
Wonder like ours, when thro' the wilderness
Where London stood, holding the Wolf in chace,
He meets some fragment huge, and stops to guess
What powerful but unrecorded race
Once dwelt in that annihilated place.
The Nuclear Fist wrote:Transoxthraxia confirmed for shit taste

Imperial isa
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 08, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Imperial isa » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:06 am

Why must Paintwork take the place of something more useful like lead lining on power armour ?
Romeo Foxtrot, Shall we Dance...
We’re on an express elevator to hell – going down!

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:24 am

Imperial isa wrote:Why must Paintwork take the place of something more useful like lead lining on power armour ?

You'd think you could at least use lead paint to get a partial benefit in radiation resistance!
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:31 am

Has anybody gotten into the Medtek Research Facility's airlock? I can't find the key/password for the terminal. A brief research quest pointed me to the building to the South-East with the dead BoS guys, but I turned up nothing, unless it's in the one safe there that I can't pick yet.
Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search for our better selves?

Benomia 3
Minister

Founded: Jan 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Benomia 3 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:56 am

Vektra wrote:Such a bad poll.

Or you choose that is the best game ever, or that it sucks... What about "It's very good, but not the best fallout" option?

As a semi-professional poll critic, I think I know a bad poll when I see one.

And as I'm the person who made the poll in the OP, I can say with utmost confidence that it's terrible.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:I like that the player character can speak, it did not bother me at all when it was announced and thought it was a cool idea, and i think its been really good so far, the male voice actor is quite good and its nice, as others have said to hear your character say things like "nice" and "sweet" when you pick a lock or something similar, so yeah big positive in my books

Also i was just talking to this guy at a place called Finch Farm, and a vertibird suicided into a bridge not that far in the distance, a giant fire ball near engulfed the farm and no one seems to care.

My biggest concern with a voiced protagonist was that it might end up causing there to be less dialogue over all, but as that isn't true I'm loving it.
All power to the brave.
Please, call me Benomia. Formerly known as Benomia and Bezombia. Post count +43875, founded 23 October 2012. This nation doesn't remotely represent my views.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:58 am

Slaughtering level 1-5 raiders as a level 49 with a combat rifle is one of the most hilarious and one sided things i have ever seen.

Im literally just walking around and one shotting them as part of the settlement missions to deal with different threats.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:09 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:So im doing the silver shroud quest line, and im pretty sure im on the last section of it now.

And i decided to fast travel to the closest location ive discovered where i need to go.

And as soon as it loaded in it, i was surrounded by super mutants, including three suicide bombers. all primed and running towards me.

Didnt even bother moving

(Image)

>Not having the resolve of an Imperial Commissar
>Not just fighting to the death

Did I mention how, at level 3, I fended off some 20 Feral Ghouls, two turrets, and a power-armored raider while triggering mines? With only a 10mm pistol?
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:13 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:So im doing the silver shroud quest line, and im pretty sure im on the last section of it now.

And i decided to fast travel to the closest location ive discovered where i need to go.

And as soon as it loaded in it, i was surrounded by super mutants, including three suicide bombers. all primed and running towards me.

Didnt even bother moving

(Image)

Did I mention how, at level 3, I fended off some 20 Feral Ghouls, two turrets, and a power-armored raider while triggering mines? With only a 10mm pistol?

Is that the fucker on the bridge with a nuke launcher? That guy was an utter pain.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:14 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:>Not having the resolve of an Imperial Commissar

Is that the fucker on the bridge with a nuke launcher? That guy was an utter pain.

Yes. I just sort of walked into him at level three.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only

The Unhallowed City
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Unhallowed City » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:14 pm

Didnt even bother moving

(Image)

Don't hold the line. Move it forward.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:15 pm

The Unhallowed City wrote:

>tfw no baneblades in FO
Last edited by United Marxist Nations on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:17 pm

The Unhallowed City wrote:

Well technically i did move at first and fired off a few shots as i moved for cover, then i saw the suiciders coming around a corner and realized i was surrounded with no way of moving, so i stood there and accepted my fate rifle in hand.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Is that the fucker on the bridge with a nuke launcher? That guy was an utter pain.

Yes. I just sort of walked into him at level three.
Yeah the bastard got me twice at a low level as well, first time i walked underneath him and just heard the whistling of the nuke as it flew down towards me.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:17 pm

The Unhallowed City wrote:Don't hold the line. Move it forward.

>tfw no baneblades in FO

A shipment of 100 baneblades had just went off to serve in Alaska you see.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:37 pm

Well technically i did move at first and fired off a few shots as i moved for cover, then i saw the suiciders coming around a corner and realized i was surrounded with no way of moving, so i stood there and accepted my fate rifle in hand.

United Marxist Nations wrote:Yes. I just sort of walked into him at level three.
Yeah the bastard got me twice at a low level as well, first time i walked underneath him and just heard the whistling of the nuke as it flew down towards me.

The one in Lexington, just south of the Corvega factory, yeah?
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

The Unhallowed City
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Unhallowed City » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:39 pm

>tfw no baneblades in FO

Don't need tanks, got powered armour!

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Well technically i did move at first and fired off a few shots as i moved for cover, then i saw the suiciders coming around a corner and realized i was surrounded with no way of moving, so i stood there and accepted my fate rifle in hand.

At least you died on your feet.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:39 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Well technically i did move at first and fired off a few shots as i moved for cover, then i saw the suiciders coming around a corner and realized i was surrounded with no way of moving, so i stood there and accepted my fate rifle in hand.

The one in Lexington, just south of the Corvega factory, yeah?

Yes, that is the one we are talking about.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:50 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:The one in Lexington, just south of the Corvega factory, yeah?

Yes, that is the one we are talking about.

I must have died like fifteen fucking times, and then the bitch had the bad manners to go and kick from one fucking grenade.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:04 pm

Didnt even bother moving

(Image)

As a level 20, one of my go-to weapons is a heavily modded 10mm pistol. I call it "The Ripper" and primarily use it to deal with things like Legendary Bandits, Beasts, or Ghouls.

28 per-shot damage, 141 fire rate.
Last edited by Transoxthraxia on Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benomia 3
Minister

Founded: Jan 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Benomia 3 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:14 pm

The Ashmaker is way too fucking OP considering how easy it was to get.
All power to the brave.
Please, call me Benomia. Formerly known as Benomia and Bezombia. Post count +43875, founded 23 October 2012. This nation doesn't remotely represent my views.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction