NATION

PASSWORD

Metal Thread 3: Subjectivity isn't Metal

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mechanix or The Four Horsemen?

Mechanix
32%
The Four Horsemen
68%

Total votes : 59

Cadonica
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 19, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Fri May 27, 2016 9:58 pm

Bodobol wrote:
Cadonica wrote:I have an idea. Listen to this while reading them. Good night :p

Oh hey, surprised to see Nortt mentioned.

I honestly only know the one song he did with Xasthur (A Curse For The Lifeless), but it's a song I like quite a bit.

They were one of the first bands I came across when expanding into funeral doom/dsbm sub genres. I like Nortt a lot, got all three albums in my collection.
Last edited by Cadonica on Fri May 27, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.
That's what they said:Once you go black metal...

That's what I said:
That Finnish bastard. ~2011
Sleeping is overrated. ~2012
I'm only gay with females. ~2013
Wings are sexy and you know it! ~2013.

Kolmya
Minister

Founded: Dec 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kolmya » Fri May 27, 2016 10:00 pm

NeuPolska wrote:
Kolmya wrote:Am I a pussy? I was reading horror prompts to try and get me in the writing mood, while listening to Obituary, but then one particularly spooked me, so I stopped listening to it.

--
But do you mean a song spooked you, or a prompt?

A prompt, but in all honestness it probably wasn't that creepy, and probably just some strange working of my mind.
Last edited by Kolmya on Fri May 27, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galborea wrote:We are the Doomfags of Troubled Candlebride Reverence.

Bodobol
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Bodobol » Fri May 27, 2016 10:06 pm

Cadonica wrote:
Bodobol wrote:
Oh hey, surprised to see Nortt mentioned.

I honestly only know the one song he did with Xasthur (A Curse For The Lifeless), but it's a song I like quite a bit.

They were one of the first bands I came across when expanding into funeral doom/dsbm sub genres. I like Nortt a lot, got all three albums in my collection.

I think the only DSBM bands I really listen to regularly are Forgotten Tomb, Xasthur, and Lifelover, though I'm probably forgetting a couple. I'll listen to Nortt more in a bit, probably.
Last.fmRead my blogshe/her

Cadonica
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Fri May 27, 2016 10:12 pm

Bodobol wrote:
Cadonica wrote:They were one of the first bands I came across when expanding into funeral doom/dsbm sub genres. I like Nortt a lot, got all three albums in my collection.

I think the only DSBM bands I really listen to regularly are Forgotten Tomb, Xasthur, and Lifelover, though I'm probably forgetting a couple. I'll listen to Nortt more in a bit, probably.

I enjoy number of DSBM bands like Xasthur, Exiled from Light, When Mine Eyes Blacken and Happy Days to name some.

All three Nortt albums are rather different. The first one is mostly DSBM with average song length being around 5 minutes. The second album (the song I linked is the second song on that album) is closer to funeral doom and the last album is more ambient-ish black/funeral doom.

His own description of his music is "Pure Depressive Black Funeral Doom Metal".
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.

That's what I said:

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Fri May 27, 2016 11:21 pm

I made the mistake of intensely air drumming to Behemoth's Shemaforash.

My wrists hurt.

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Go home Polska wins NS.
United Mongol Hordes wrote:Polska isn't exactly the nicest guy in the world
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Hurd you miss the point more than Polska misses Poland.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Sat May 28, 2016 2:34 am

Kolmya wrote:
NeuPolska wrote:--
But do you mean a song spooked you, or a prompt?

A prompt, but in all honestness it probably wasn't that creepy, and probably just some strange working of my mind.

If I had to guess, I would assume you triggered your animal self preservation instinct a bit too much.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Galborea
Minister

Founded: May 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Galborea » Sat May 28, 2016 6:05 am

New Katalepsy is great.

Kolmya
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kolmya » Sat May 28, 2016 8:05 am

Cadonica wrote:--

Do you guys think that labels for music can get too complicated sometimes?
Hurdegaryp wrote:
Kolmya wrote:A prompt, but in all honestness it probably wasn't that creepy, and probably just some strange working of my mind.

If I had to guess, I would assume you triggered your animal self preservation instinct a bit too much.

The weird thing though was that I typically enjoy things of that nature, being scared etc.
Last edited by Kolmya on Sat May 28, 2016 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cadonica
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Sat May 28, 2016 8:13 am

Kolmya wrote:
Cadonica wrote:--

Do you guys think that labels for music can get too complicated sometimes?

Sure. But sometimes these complicated genre names are just some personal fad. Like Wintersun's "Extreme Majestic Technical Epic Melodic Metal" and what not, I'm pretty sure the artists themselves don't take those seriously :lol:

There's also shorter unique genres, like nuclear metal, swamp metal etc.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.

That's what I said:

Cadonica
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Sat May 28, 2016 8:31 am

I was going to check something from metal-archives when I saw this one in the latest additions. My first thoughts were "some Finnish humor band?" because the name is Finnish for "Own Sausages", but turns out they are from New Zealand.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.

That's what I said:

Kolmya
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kolmya » Sat May 28, 2016 8:50 am

Cadonica wrote:
Kolmya wrote:Do you guys think that labels for music can get too complicated sometimes?

Sure. But sometimes these complicated genre names are just some personal fad. Like Wintersun's "Extreme Majestic Technical Epic Melodic Metal" and what not, I'm pretty sure the artists themselves don't take those seriously :lol:

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you. But can you link me some nuclear metal? It sounds pretty interesting.

Cadonica
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Sat May 28, 2016 9:01 am

Kolmya wrote:
Cadonica wrote:Sure. But sometimes these complicated genre names are just some personal fad. Like Wintersun's "Extreme Majestic Technical Epic Melodic Metal" and what not, I'm pretty sure the artists themselves don't take those seriously :lol:

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you. But can you link me some nuclear metal? It sounds pretty interesting.

That would Impaled Nazarene's self-defintion.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.

That's what I said:

Digital Planets
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Digital Planets » Sat May 28, 2016 9:40 am

Cadonica wrote:
Faschist Deutsch Reich wrote:Anyway, here's a question for everyone: which bands do you believe have the worst comment sections?

All of them. /thread

I never look at the comments on music videos.

Digital Planets wrote:Sucks what's going on with Manowar, but I kind of figured this was going to happen since they haven't had the best of luck since, I dunno, maybe the early 2000's?

As much as I like them, I was kinda hoping they'd do this. I mean come on, out of their three last albums two were re-recorded ones.

Yeah, and to be fair, I do think it's time for a new generation to take their place, and if I believe their songs, their dedication to heavy metal.

Plus, damn near everyone is 60+. The youngest active member is Karl Logan at 51 years old. I'd hate to see them grow into their 80's trying to play.
So you decide to open it anyway? What the heck, man?

Cadonica
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Sat May 28, 2016 10:50 am

Digital Planets wrote:
Cadonica wrote:All of them. /thread

I never look at the comments on music videos.

As much as I like them, I was kinda hoping they'd do this. I mean come on, out of their three last albums two were re-recorded ones.

Yeah, and to be fair, I do think it's time for a new generation to take their place, and if I believe their songs, their dedication to heavy metal.

Plus, damn near everyone is 60+. The youngest active member is Karl Logan at 51 years old. I'd hate to see them grow into their 80's trying to play.

For a band like Motörhead or Iron Maiden it'd be no problem to play 'til they turn 80, but that warrior image is far too heavy on Manowar. 80 year old warrior is just too silly.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.

That's what I said:

Digital Planets
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Digital Planets » Sat May 28, 2016 2:16 pm

Cadonica wrote:
Digital Planets wrote:

For a band like Motörhead or Iron Maiden it'd be no problem to play 'til they turn 80, but that warrior image is far too heavy on Manowar. 80 year old warrior is just too silly.

Exactly.
So you decide to open it anyway? What the heck, man?

Kolmya
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kolmya » Sat May 28, 2016 2:22 pm

Obituary is fucking awesome!

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Sat May 28, 2016 2:58 pm

Digital Planets wrote:
Cadonica wrote:For a band like Motörhead or Iron Maiden it'd be no problem to play 'til they turn 80, but that warrior image is far too heavy on Manowar. 80 year old warrior is just too silly.

Exactly.

Hey, it worked just fine for Cohen the Barbarian in the Discworld novels.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Bodobol
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Bodobol » Sat May 28, 2016 3:12 pm

So the Japanese version of The Fall of Hearts apparently contains a Judas Priest cover.

And, as expected... it's fucking great. I didn't exactly expect Katatonia to cover JP, but their covers are always amazing and they pull it off well in this instance.
Last.fmRead my blogshe/her

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Sat May 28, 2016 3:33 pm

Kolmya wrote:Obituary is fucking awesome!

I can confirm that they are in fact pretty fucking cool 8) James Tardy's vocals really do it once you get used to them.

Favorite song so far?
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Sat May 28, 2016 6:09 pm

| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

Drown
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Drown » Sat May 28, 2016 6:43 pm

I played like all of Dopesmoker last night and I re-tuned my guitar and all of the bottom strings snapped :(

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat May 28, 2016 6:51 pm

Ulver's best stuff is their non-metal stuff :)

*Dodges fire*
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Sat May 28, 2016 6:52 pm

Drown wrote:I played like all of Dopesmoker last night and I re-tuned my guitar and all of the bottom strings snapped :(

That's only two steps down....you must have old strings.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

Nokturne
Attaché

Founded: Feb 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nokturne » Sat May 28, 2016 7:10 pm

Drown wrote:I played like all of Dopesmoker last night and I re-tuned my guitar and all of the bottom strings snapped :(

doesn't that have like 500+ bars?
Edgiest user in the whole of NationStates.
Telegrams open to hate mail.

Drown
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Drown » Sat May 28, 2016 7:11 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote:

That's only two steps down....you must have old strings.

there like 2 months old I think I tuned up to fast
Nokturne wrote:

doesn't that have like 500+ bars?
more

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction