NATION

PASSWORD

BattleBots Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Red Foxia
Attaché

Founded: Feb 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Red Foxia » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:32 am

The Hoenn Region wrote:
Kohr wrote:I don't know, wasn't there the one time in Series 8 when Ironside 3 pushed Pulsar into the pit and they took it to the judges because they both fell in the pit? Technically, Ironside 3 should have won that one because it pushed Pulsar in before it itself fell in.

Think they retroactively decided ironside was counted out for being immobile in the middle of the match, bit of a blunder but at least it made sense with the rules in the end.

Real robot combat is like a boxing match, two go in, and one wins. I really don't like it when they put 3 or 4 bots (or more) in at the same time.

I'd love to see doubles, teamwork would add an interesting layer.

I think we've gotten more bots on a team many times before.
There is one called The 4 Horsemen, with 4 different bots on their team.

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 21, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:54 am

Evil Lord Bane wrote:I'm sure stuff like this happens. My biggest problem with RW was the house robots, the way they would interfere with the match, or decide it's outcome. They often would right a bot that was flipped over, or knock them out of the arena, come out of thier CP Zeds to attack bots for no reason, etc. They should have got rid of them when the show moved to the UK. Real robot combat is like a boxing match, two go in, and one wins. I really don't like it when they put 3 or 4 bots (or more) in at the same time.

Robot Wars has a different purpose to Battlebots. Battlebots is a combat tournament designed to find the best robot. Robot Wars is an entertainment show that also happens to be a robot combat competition - its primary purpose is to entertain; it's not a pure sporting competition like Battlebots.
The Hoenn Region wrote:I'd love to see doubles, teamwork would add an interesting layer.

Robot Wars has had tag-team side competitions in the past. They haven't been very good, though that's mainly because the top robots rarely enter them.
I used to do stuff in TSP
Highest ranked solo player in N-Day 2, finishing 10th
Currently the holder of 7 World #1 badges

Evil Lord Bane
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Evil Lord Bane » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:09 am

The Hoenn Region wrote:
Kohr wrote:I don't know, wasn't there the one time in Series 8 when Ironside 3 pushed Pulsar into the pit and they took it to the judges because they both fell in the pit? Technically, Ironside 3 should have won that one because it pushed Pulsar in before it itself fell in.

Think they retroactively decided ironside was counted out for being immobile in the middle of the match, bit of a blunder but at least it made sense with the rules in the end.

Real robot combat is like a boxing match, two go in, and one wins. I really don't like it when they put 3 or 4 bots (or more) in at the same time.

I'd love to see doubles, teamwork would add an interesting layer.

RW tried this, sort of, and it was short lived. They had "tag team" matches at one point, though I forgot which season. The problems where many. One of which was both bots on the team would enter the arena without being "tagged", about half way though the match. It happened every time. You'd think at some point, they'd get rid of the Tag Team rules altogether, and just go two on two to begin with, but there where other problems as well. One was effective team work. These bot builders, while they may be friendly with one another in the pits, aren't used to working with another bot in the arena along side them or it's team. Teamwork takes time and effort to build, and the robot teams, who normally focus on the bot they built, just aren't up to working and fighting alongside another. Another problem is participation. Not many of the bot teams showed an interest in teaming up with other bots. So the event died quietly one day, and was never seen again.
Last edited by Evil Lord Bane on Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please note: The scoring in this years Deathrace has been changed. Please click here for the updated scoring chart.
We've improved on the Toxic Death Clouds that hangs above our whole nation. They are now radioactive as well!
Top 3 most read factbook entries:
Popular Deathsports - Carmageddon and Auto Dueling.
Vehicular Weaponization: Do's and Don't's.
Outzones and How to Survive Them.
Disclaimer: The name comes from the game Warlords, and has nothing to do with any DC comic book characters.
Try our new, improved Soylent Green, now with 20% more girls!

The Hoenn Region
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hoenn Region » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:33 am

Pencil Sharpeners 2 wrote:Robot Wars has had tag-team side competitions in the past. They haven't been very good, though that's mainly because the top robots rarely enter them.

Ah didn't know that, take it this was in RW extreme? Haven't watched it, would you recommend?
RW tried this, sort of, and it was short lived. They had "tag team" matches at one point, though I forgot which season. The problems where many. One of which was both bots on the team would enter the arena without being "tagged", about half way though the match. It happened every time. You'd think at some point, they'd get rid of the Tag Team rules altogether, and just go two on two to begin with, but there where other problems as well. One was effective team work. These bot builders, while they may be friendly with one another in the pits, aren't used to working with another bot in the arena along side them or it's team. Teamwork takes time and effort to build, and the robot teams, who normally focus on the bot they built, just aren't up to working and fighting alongside another. Another problem is participation. Not many of the bot teams showed an interest in teaming up with other bots. So the event died quietly one day, and was never seen again.

Oh tag team's rubbish, especially in the recent RW christmas/new years specials, I was talking about straight 2v2. If the interest isn't there then oh well.

Kohr
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:45 am

I looked back at the two controversial fights from last episode, and I think that they were scored correctly- but only based on the current judging criteria. I think, though, that a better way to decide matches would be like this:

Control- 1 point
Aggression- 1 point
Damage- 3 points

That catch is this: the Damage category can be split 2-1 in cases where both robots inflicted meaningful damage to each other, or in cases where neither hurt each other much at all. Under these rules, I would have given Yeti 2 Damage points and Bombshell 1 (meaning Control and Aggression would decide the winner), whereas I would have given Icewave all 3 in its match, meaning it would win outright even though Skorpios would have won the Control and Aggression points. I think the Strategy category should be gotten rid of because, as far as I can see, it's hard to define and overlaps with the others.

When you get down to it, the competition is about destroying your opponent, and I don't think that you should be able to win a match through inflicting minimal damage like Skorpios did. That's just my opinion, though. What do you all think?

Evil Lord Bane
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Evil Lord Bane » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:06 pm

Kohr wrote:I looked back at the two controversial fights from last episode, and I think that they were scored correctly- but only based on the current judging criteria. I think, though, that a better way to decide matches would be like this:

Control- 1 point
Aggression- 1 point
Damage- 3 points

That catch is this: the Damage category can be split 2-1 in cases where both robots inflicted meaningful damage to each other, or in cases where neither hurt each other much at all. Under these rules, I would have given Yeti 2 Damage points and Bombshell 1 (meaning Control and Aggression would decide the winner), whereas I would have given Icewave all 3 in its match, meaning it would win outright even though Skorpios would have won the Control and Aggression points. I think the Strategy category should be gotten rid of because, as far as I can see, it's hard to define and overlaps with the others.

When you get down to it, the competition is about destroying your opponent, and I don't think that you should be able to win a match through inflicting minimal damage like Skorpios did. That's just my opinion, though. What do you all think?

I agree, to a point. While control and aggression are not as importaint as damage, it shouldn't be compleatly discounted. Robot fighting isn't always about who bashed who up the most, since sometimes, the damage level is close and very arbitrary. To control the match, you need to be aggresive, they are praticly one in the same.
Last edited by Evil Lord Bane on Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please note: The scoring in this years Deathrace has been changed. Please click here for the updated scoring chart.
We've improved on the Toxic Death Clouds that hangs above our whole nation. They are now radioactive as well!
Disclaimer: The name comes from the game Warlords, and has nothing to do with any DC comic book characters.

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:17 pm

It's back! It's legendary! It's destructive! It's probably not going to do very well! It's WARHEAD! (Finally.)

Bronco roasts Duck
Hypershock makes Free Shipping pay
Red Devil burns SubZero
Warhead nukes Sharkoprion
Son of Whyachi weathers Monsoon
Ultimo destroys Axe Backwards

...although I hear that last one is actually supposed to be pretty good.

The Hoenn Region
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hoenn Region » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:12 pm

This fight card is exciting! My picks are Bronco, Free Shipping, Subzero, Warhead, SoW and Ultimo.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:10 pm

Kohr wrote:Bronco roasts Duck

I don't know. Duck is a quick little bastard. I don't see Bronco out-driving him well enough to get a flip in.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:17 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Kohr wrote:Bronco roasts Duck

I don't know. Duck is a quick little bastard. I don't see Bronco out-driving him well enough to get a flip in.

Good point, but on the other hand, I can't see what Duck can do to Bronco offensively. Duck's specialty seems to be spinners, not flippers.

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:24 pm

Loving the look of this episode. Neither of Ultimo Destructo's two wins were televised, so they must have been dull fights. Having said that, I suspect they'll have too much for the potent but fragile Axe Backwards. Free Shipping will not give any shits about whatever damage Hypershock can do to it, but I'm not sure if they'll be able to do enough to win a judges' decision. Red Devil V Subzero is a battle of who has the lowest wedge, and I'd be tempted to say Red Devil. We finally get to see Warhead! Sharkoprion may have won a fight, but I doubt they'll have much for Warhead. SOW V Monsoon will depend on whether the shape of Monsoon's weapon allows it to flip SOW. If yes, Monsoon wins; if no, Monsoon will have its first defeat and a huge repair job. Bronco V Duck is another battle of who has the lowest wedge. I think Duck will be on top for most of the fight, but Bronco's weapon is so much more spectacular that it won't have to get many flips in to win the judges' decision.

Evil Lord Bane
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Evil Lord Bane » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:26 pm

My Call for tomorrow's matches.

Duck got lucky in it's last two fights, but Bronco is too big for Duck to flip and it has a better flipper, I say the Duck's luck has just ran out. Going with Bronco. Free Shipping hasn't lived up to it's hype, and Hypershock last match looked much better than it first. Going with Hypershock. Red Devil proved how flimsy of a bot it is in it's match with Monsoon. Subzero isn't much better, but I just don't see the Dev cuting this one up. Going with Subzero. Haven't seen much of the very versatile Warhead this season. I don't see a poorly desinged bot like Sharkoprion making it past the vets from the UK. Money on Warhead. Both Monsson and SoW have flimsy, unreliable, easily broken weapons, but Monsoon is the better built bot, and SoW is old and obsoleate. Going with Monsoon. Ultimo Destucto has been in hiding from the TV cameras so far this season, though it is 2-0. I can see this bot kicking Tombstone's ass, and those hugh, exposed tires on Axe Backwards will make an fine target for Ultimo Destucto's spining blade. Drum spinners are worthless anyway. Betting the house and car on Ultimo Destucto.
Last edited by Evil Lord Bane on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:04 pm

Damn. I was actually hoping Duck! would pull out the win.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:30 pm

Oh man, what a crazy episode. Son of Whyachi's epic hit. Free Shipping getting a much deserved win. And poor, poor, Spitfire.

I think what's really crazy is that new Desperado Tournament they've thrown in. On the one hand, I'm not sure how I feel about a bot being able to get in this way, because there are definitely at least 16 robots with winning records that deserve a playoff birth. On the other hand... it still sounds really exciting. If the silhouettes are to be believed, we already know who's contending.

Well, they've given us plenty to get excited about for after this dreadful break ends. In the meantime... I guess I'll try to enjoy the two Science channel fights we will get. Fingers crossed too that they put the untelevised fights somewhere where I can see them. Until next time.

The Hoenn Region
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hoenn Region » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:52 am

Moment of silence for spitfire.

Predictions on who will win the tournament? My money's on Gigabyte now that their drive shaft isn't made of chinesium.

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:52 am

The Hoenn Region wrote:Moment of silence for spitfire.

Predictions on who will win the tournament? My money's on Gigabyte now that their drive shaft isn't made of chinesium.

Interesting choice. I'd like to at least see them win something before I jump on that bandwagon. For me, Tombstone is still the clear front-runner, but for an upset, I could see SawBlaze going the distance and surprising some people.

The Hoenn Region
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hoenn Region » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:49 am

Kohr wrote:
The Hoenn Region wrote:Moment of silence for spitfire.

Interesting choice. I'd like to at least see them win something before I jump on that bandwagon. For me, Tombstone is still the clear front-runner, but for an upset, I could see SawBlaze going the distance and surprising some people.

Oh I meant the desperado tournament, sorry should've been more specific. Assuming all the silhouettes from the end of last episode were competing. Tombstone's also my current favourite for the big tournament, and if Sawblaze can handle big spinners I agree that it could go far.

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:02 am

The Hoenn Region wrote:
Kohr wrote:Interesting choice. I'd like to at least see them win something before I jump on that bandwagon. For me, Tombstone is still the clear front-runner, but for an upset, I could see SawBlaze going the distance and surprising some people.

Oh I meant the desperado tournament, sorry should've been more specific. Assuming all the silhouettes from the end of last episode were competing. Tombstone's also my current favourite for the big tournament, and if Sawblaze can handle big spinners I agree that it could go far.

Oh, that makes a lot more sense. I think we all know that, barring some freak accident, it'll come down to a Gigabyte/Lock-Jaw showdown. I think you're probably right about Gigabyte. I really hope they do well so they can show that the full-body spinner is still a viable strategy. The more different robot types that work, the better for the sport.

The Hoenn Region
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hoenn Region » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:52 am

Kohr wrote:Oh, that makes a lot more sense. I think we all know that, barring some freak accident, it'll come down to a Gigabyte/Lock-Jaw showdown.

Valkyrie's a bit of a dark horse I reckon, if lock jaw doesn't swap out the wedgelets for a wedge it could be in trouble.
I really hope they do well so they can show that the full-body spinner is still a viable strategy. The more different robot types that work, the better for the sport.

Definitely, matchups between different weapons are always better.

Anyone else think bombshell should've been in the desperado tourney?

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:13 am

The Hoenn Region wrote:
Kohr wrote:Oh, that makes a lot more sense. I think we all know that, barring some freak accident, it'll come down to a Gigabyte/Lock-Jaw showdown.

Valkyrie's a bit of a dark horse I reckon, if lock jaw doesn't swap out the wedgelets for a wedge it could be in trouble.
I really hope they do well so they can show that the full-body spinner is still a viable strategy. The more different robot types that work, the better for the sport.

Definitely, matchups between different weapons are always better.

Anyone else think bombshell should've been in the desperado tourney?

From what I know, the DT was completely voluntary for teams to sign up for, and then the producers picked eight. Assuming they would have picked Bombshell if they had signed up, I completely think the team should have gone for it at 0-3.
Last edited by Kohr on Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ozzy
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Ozzy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:00 pm

I honestly have no idea what to make of Hypershock's battle with Free Shipping, I am not surprised the former lost yet at the same time I am surprised the latter won.
Last edited by IM Meen on Wed May 15, 1996 1:29 pm, edited 756 times in total.

Long live the Global Liberation Army!
Leader of NS Hoofington Reapers

In this world we stand for what we love, for what is right and for our rights. If you don't stand for either one of these you don't stand at all. You're crippled mentally. Your rights give you your life, that life gives you the right to stand for what is right for the world and one of those rights in the world is standing strong for those you love and what you love as a whole.

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:41 pm

Another great episode! This has been an amazing season so far, probably the best Battlebots/RW season ever IMO.

Evil Lord Bane
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Evil Lord Bane » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:02 pm

Pencil Sharpeners 2 wrote:Another great episode! This has been an amazing season so far, probably the best Battlebots/RW season ever IMO.

I agree, as most of my predcitions came out wrong. I put too much faith in Hypershock, and not enough in Free Shipping. I forgot Hypershock's only win was against that stupid chesseburger, that anyone could beat. I exepcted Moonson's weapon to go down at some point, but not as soon as it did, SoW make it look like a chump. Red Dev was the biggest shock of the night, coming out with it's new clamps and tearing up Subzero. It didn't do much damage, but it did dominate the match. This was one of the better eposodes so far, and we're only at the half way point for the qualifiers.
Last edited by Evil Lord Bane on Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:42 pm

Ozzy wrote:I honestly have no idea what to make of Hypershock's battle with Free Shipping, I am not surprised the former lost yet at the same time I am surprised the latter won.

I think Free Shipping deserves at least a couple wins. It always puts on a hell of a show in its fights. Hypershock I feel like has the potential to be one of the greats, but it always fails itself. There was this time with the weak spinner, the sparks at the beginning of the Bite Force match, and the times in previous seasons when it was beating its opponents badly before suffering mechanical failures. It's quite a shame.

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:47 pm

Also, this has been a ridiculously good year for saws. The three of them are a combined 7-1.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction