NATION

PASSWORD

BattleBots Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 21, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:07 am

Everybody was hyping up a massive controversy before this episode... but I don't see it? Witch Doctor disabled Minotaur's drive whereas Minotaur did very little meaningful damage to WD, and had very little control for most of the fight. Easy decision. Personally I agree that Hydra beat Tantrum, but damage is king and the reality is that a spinner always does more damage than a flipper. This isn't a new controversy, with teams like Duck, Sawblaze, and Lockjaw losing fights that they dominated because they didn't do much damage.

The unstick rule is dodgy though, I will agree with that. It seems that getting wedged on top of something is grounds for a countout, but being wedged under is not. That should have been clear. Having said that, I don't think there were any obvious errors in the episode, just some questionable rules and grey areas.

I'm far more annoyed about some robots only getting two fights before the tournament, and then some of the tournament fights being highlighted in a two hour show. That's totally unacceptable.
I used to do stuff in TSP
Highest ranked solo player in N-Day 2, finishing 10th
Currently the holder of 7 World #1 badges

Ozzy
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Ozzy » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:22 pm

Minotaur did way more damage to Witch Doctor though lol... their bot was chewed up and was just as mobile for the first half of the fight until the front armor was ripped off, something nobody has ever done towards WD too, mind you. Minotaur made the three minute mark on one wheel doing more damage overall to a foe that didn't even have control or aggression going for it anywhere on the timeline, the crowd was every right to be displeased with the outcome of those two fights and honestly, either way, Minotaur v. Witch Doctor should have been a double KO going to a JD.
Last edited by IM Meen on Wed May 15, 1996 1:29 pm, edited 756 times in total.

Long live the Global Liberation Army!
Leader of NS Hoofington Reapers

In this world we stand for what we love, for what is right and for our rights. If you don't stand for either one of these you don't stand at all. You're crippled mentally. Your rights give you your life, that life gives you the right to stand for what is right for the world and one of those rights in the world is standing strong for those you love and what you love as a whole.

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:56 pm

Damage should be judged on how much it hinders a robot's ability to fight. WD had a fully functioning drive and weapon for the entire fight, while Minotaur struggled for control after its wheel was ripped off. Ribbot was counted out when it showed similar movement against Hydra. Minotaur wins aggression easily, but WD wins damage and control.
Last edited by Pencil Sharpeners 2 on Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ozzy
Minister

Postby Ozzy » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:05 pm

Yeah and Witch Doctor spent most of the fight with a buckled wheel and running away, which it wouldn't have been able to do the latter if it wasn't given some free pass to be dislodged from the arena surroundings. Daniel Freitas and his team was shafted, dude. Not gonna convince me otherwise.

In this world we stand for what we love, for what is right and for our rights. If you don't stand for either one of these you don't stand at all. You're crippled mentally. Your rights give you your life, that life gives you the right to stand for what is right for the world and one of those rights in the world is standing strong for those you love and what you love as a whole.

Ozzy
Minister

Postby Ozzy » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:14 pm

So I looked into this whole charade a bit more out of curiosity and this guy covers it pretty well, for those curious about the unsticking rules and no engagement policy. Definitely provides clarity on the situation that occurred that fight.

Ambrossa
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 21, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ambrossa » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:13 am

Remember that one battle between Tombstone and Bronco?
Proud member of New World Union!

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:21 pm

If that season doesn't prove these judges clearly want Witch Doctor to win, I don't know what will. That Minotaur fight was bullshit. They should have been counted out like every other bot who gets stuck like that. Thank God for Tantrum. You are my hero, you little orange sumbitch.

...Yes, I just now got to the last two episodes. I've been busy for a while.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:28 am

Anyone watch the Sin City Slugfest (basically Bounty Hunters rebranded)?

I've never seen that level of violence from Hypershock before. I don't think I've seen that level of violence from *anybody*

Hustlertwo
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 17, 2006
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hustlertwo » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:25 am

Pencil Sharpeners 2 wrote:Anyone watch the Sin City Slugfest (basically Bounty Hunters rebranded)?

I've never seen that level of violence from Hypershock before. I don't think I've seen that level of violence from *anybody*

Supposedly at that RE: Mars event, they were this good too, so it may be their new level of performance. I'm already seeing a lot of talk about them as potential giant nut winners this year, and it seems possible.

That being said, I still wonder if they can go that many fights in a year without the ghost of their perpetual technical issues arising once more.

The BH rebrand was effective, as that 8-bot tournament at the end definitely lived up to the hype. High-quality matches throughout. And as tough as it was to wait all those months for it, at least it means we're now only about 3-4 months away from the new main season, more than likely.
Interactive fiction author, rouser of rabble, and Punslinger-in-Chief of the Anti Discord Alliance.

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:26 am

Babe wake up, new fight card just dropped.

TheKeyToJoy
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 08, 2022

Postby TheKeyToJoy » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:12 am

Pencil Sharpeners 2 wrote:Babe wake up, new fight card just dropped.

YES finally a new season! I hope Ribbot wins this one because it’s a great bot!
My beliefs. Dogs and cats are both equal, racism is bad, Joe Mama jokes are funny, and TRR is better than any other region.

Kraven Prevails!

The Orwell Society
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:14 am

Pencil Sharpeners 2 wrote:Babe wake up, new fight card just dropped.

Looking forward to this one
The Orwell Society
Straight Male | Political Alignment: Centrist leaning conservative | NSGP Alignment: Independent | Proud Wellspringer, join The Wellspring today!

A vision without action is just a daydream

TheKeyToJoy
Diplomat

Postby TheKeyToJoy » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:30 pm

Remember when Cobalt and Raptor had that fight? Legendary fight if anyone doesn’t know, Raptor was torn to pieces literally.
My beliefs. Dogs and cats are both equal, racism is bad, Joe Mama jokes are funny, and TRR is better than any other region.

Kraven Prevails!

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:45 pm

Episode 1 was very fun (as it always is)! I'm so pleased to see my favourite bot, HUGE, finally making the changes to spin up time and mobility that it has needed for years. WD and Riptide are looking very strong at this stage.

Main event looks tasty

TheKeyToJoy
Diplomat

Postby TheKeyToJoy » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:11 pm

Pencil Sharpeners 2 wrote:Episode 1 was very fun (as it always is)! I'm so pleased to see my favourite bot, HUGE, finally making the changes to spin up time and mobility that it has needed for years. WD and Riptide are looking very strong at this stage.

Main event looks tasty

Oh well need to find the show. I cut off comcast.

Kraven Prevails!

TheKeyToJoy
Diplomat

Postby TheKeyToJoy » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:41 am

Just watched the first episode on Hulu. Good job Minotaur!

Kraven Prevails!

TheKeyToJoy
Diplomat

Postby TheKeyToJoy » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:51 pm

Watched all episodes great season so far though…
Disappointed that Rotator failed so easily against Hydra.

Kraven Prevails!

Kohr
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:16 pm

I'm trying not to get as invested this season, but still good to see Hydra get that first win. Hope they can finally take it all this year.

TheKeyToJoy
Diplomat

Postby TheKeyToJoy » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:03 am

Kohr wrote:I'm trying not to get as invested this season, but still good to see Hydra get that first win. Hope they can finally take it all this year.

Hydra is a good bot but he has some competition, most of the rookies look bad though.

Kraven Prevails!

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:07 pm

Horizon. Looks neat, does exactly fuck all.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:26 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Horizon. Looks neat, does exactly fuck all.

That was possibly the worst fight I've seen in my life.

New Zoigai
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 17, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby New Zoigai » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:28 pm

Holy crap people actually care about the battlebots? I thought I was the only one.

Since its been about 2 years since i last looked at a match though.

Who has the best bot rn?
Last edited by New Zoigai on Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
African American, Born near the Pacific Ocean, Protestant Christian, History Lover, 6'2, Teenager
A Class 0.1 Civilization according to this index.
Political Math Graph results
https://www.politicalcompass.org/yourpo ... &soc=-0.72

"Freedom From one thing is bondage to its opposite. Choose to be bonded by the thing that benefits you more"
NS stats are Working in the deepest coal mines we have discovered and arent canon

Ozzy
Minister

Postby Ozzy » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:33 pm

I find it interesting how a few of the new competitors are directly imported from Norwalk Havoc

New Zoigai
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 17, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby New Zoigai » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:39 pm

TheKeyToJoy wrote:Watched all episodes great season so far though…
Disappointed that Rotator failed so easily against Hydra.

Hydra is one of the best bots.
African American, Born near the Pacific Ocean, Protestant Christian, History Lover, 6'2, Teenager
A Class 0.1 Civilization according to this index.
Political Math Graph results
https://www.politicalcompass.org/yourpo ... &soc=-0.72

"Freedom From one thing is bondage to its opposite. Choose to be bonded by the thing that benefits you more"
NS stats are Working in the deepest coal mines we have discovered and arent canon

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:40 pm

Holy crap, Claw Viper is actually awesome this season. They're perhaps the closest thing we've had to Storm 2 in a long time.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction