NATION

PASSWORD

BattleBots Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Hoenn Region
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hoenn Region » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:59 am

Pencil Sharpeners 2 wrote:I'm so glad that HUUUUUUGE won. After a tough start to the season, it looks like my favourite robot will be top 16 again!

Would love to see a bite force rematch

Kohr
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:00 pm

I really like this batch of fights. I hate Uppercut, so I’m hoping Skorpios gives it a good beating. Bronco (I will die on this hill), Hypershock, Yeti, Copperhead, Bite Force, Free Shipping, Skorpios.
Season: 67-25

Ozzy
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Ozzy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:36 pm

We'll be getting Hydra vs Bronco as the main event this week... hoo wee, I am curious how that one will play out
Last edited by IM Meen on Wed May 15, 1996 1:29 pm, edited 756 times in total.

Long live the Global Liberation Army!
Leader of NS Hoofington Reapers

In this world we stand for what we love, for what is right and for our rights. If you don't stand for either one of these you don't stand at all. You're crippled mentally. Your rights give you your life, that life gives you the right to stand for what is right for the world and one of those rights in the world is standing strong for those you love and what you love as a whole.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:59 pm

Ozzy wrote:We'll be getting Hydra vs Bronco as the main event this week... hoo wee, I am curious how that one will play out

Turns out poorly. For Bronco anyway.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:58 pm

I’ll admit, even a couple flukes strung together creates a pattern (and tonight’s battle at least was no fluke). Bronco needs to come back changed for next season.
Last edited by Kohr on Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 21, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Last-16 Predictions

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:30 am

I've gone through every robot competing this season, and categorised them by how likely I think it is that they will make the top 16.

Explanations
Definitely - Robots which I think have done enough this season to get in the top 16. This contains 13 robots, which doesn't allow much wiggle-room for the rest.
Probably - Robots which I think have a good chance of making the top-16 without having to go through a play-in match. However, when I finished this list I realised that there were too many for them all to go through, but these will surely be guaranteed places in the play-in matches at least
Possibly - Robots which I think will get into a play-in match, but will not make the top 16 automatically.
Unlikely - Based upon Bombshell's run last year, robots which I think have a chance of making a play-in match on the basis of reputation or interesting design. However, there is a good chance their seasons are over already.
No Chance - Self explanatory. These robots will not get any more fights.

I can't be bothered to explain my rational for including each robot in its category, but feel free to ask me about any categorisations you disagree with or are unsure about.
Last edited by Pencil Sharpeners 2 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to do stuff in TSP
Highest ranked solo player in N-Day 2, finishing 10th
Currently the holder of 7 World #1 badges

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:50 am

Pencil Sharpeners 2 wrote:I've gone through every robot competing this season, and categorised them by how likely I think it is that they will make the top 16.

Explanations
Definitely - Robots which I think have done enough this season to get in the top 16. This contains 13 robots, which doesn't allow much wiggle-room for the rest.
Probably - Robots which I think have a good chance of making the top-16 without having to go through a play-in match. However, when I finished this list I realised that there were too many for them all to go through, but these will surely be guaranteed places in the play-in matches at least
Possibly - Robots which I think will get into a play-in match, but will not make the top 16 automatically.
Unlikely - Based upon Bombshell's run last year, robots which I think have a chance of making a play-in match on the basis of reputation or interesting design. However, there is a good chance their seasons are over already.
No Chance - Self explanatory. These robots will not get any more fights.

I can't be bothered to explain my rational for including each robot in its category, but feel free to ask me about any categorisations you disagree with or are unsure about.

Pretty much completely agree with you here, though I can't see any possible scenario where Chronos gets in (or even gets a play-in match). I'm sure Valkyrie's last fight will air on the science channel, and it's unfortunate that we don't know if it won or lost. I'm super excited to see what's happening next episode. It's probably going to be nuts.

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:08 pm

Kohr wrote:Pretty much completely agree with you here, though I can't see any possible scenario where Chronos gets in (or even gets a play-in match). I'm sure Valkyrie's last fight will air on the science channel, and it's unfortunate that we don't know if it won or lost. I'm super excited to see what's happening next episode. It's probably going to be nuts.

Yeah, I didn't realise Chronos only had two fights. I was basing my guess on their spectacular KO of Copperhead, but I presume there are some untelevised fights we don't know about. It will depend on how those went, I guess.

On a related note, the synopsis for the next episode is
In an unprecedented move, the selection committee has done something you’ll have to tune it to see!

It will be exciting to see what they've done. I've heard rumours, but won't post them here in case others haven't heard them.

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:11 pm

Shit, oh my God. I mean, I kind of guessed this was happening, but I'm still having a nerd freak out moment.

Who has already earned their spot (based on what I see on the fight card):
Black Dragon
Bite Force
Hydra
Witch Doctor
Death Roll
SawBlaze (I like SawBlaze, but I feel like it's gotten preferential treatment both last year when it was seeded too high and this year when I feel like many of the bots that have to play-in performed better)
Whiplash
Tombstone

And the final eight spots:
Minotaur over Cobalt (but I hope I'm wrong)
Quantum over Valkyrie (I just hope Quantum's wedge can survive the first couple hits)
Yeti over Duck (please let me be wrong)
Lock-Jaw over Skorpios (Lock-Jaw dominated the ReMars battle until reliability cost him it)
Huge over Hypershock (Hypershock will get stuck on its back sometime, and then it's screwed.)
Bloodsport over RGM and Uppercut (going for a little bit of an upset pick here)
Rotator over Blacksmith (sadly)
SOW over Copperhead (please let's not have a Poison Arrow repeat. One of these machines is much cooler than the other.)

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:53 pm

Well. Looks like my predictions are blown apart :P

This looks like it should be fun.

The Hoenn Region
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hoenn Region » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:21 pm

Idk what to make of this. On the one hand this is set to be an amazing fight night, and bots like quantum get a second chance. On the other hand some of the matchups are just unfair to me, hypershock at 3-1 and only a great loss to bite force gets put against HUGE? That's some bullshit. On top of that it doesn't seem fair having half the top 16 fight another match before the bracket.

Minotaur, Valkyrie, skorpios, HUGE, RGM, Rotator and SOW for me. SOW Copperhead is going to be pretty spectacular.

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:49 pm

The Hoenn Region wrote:Idk what to make of this. On the one hand this is set to be an amazing fight night, and bots like quantum get a second chance. On the other hand some of the matchups are just unfair to me, hypershock at 3-1 and only a great loss to bite force gets put against HUGE? That's some bullshit. On top of that it doesn't seem fair having half the top 16 fight another match before the bracket.

Minotaur, Valkyrie, skorpios, HUGE, RGM, Rotator and SOW for me. SOW Copperhead is going to be pretty spectacular.

Yeah, it's not particularly fair, but oh well. We get great fights, which is the point, plus everyone here is probably going to lose at some point anyway.

The Hoenn Region
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hoenn Region » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:36 am

Kohr wrote:Yeah, it's not particularly fair, but oh well. We get great fights, which is the point, plus everyone here is probably going to lose at some point anyway.

Idk I thought Hypershock and Cobalt were real contenders. Though tbf they've both been given fights I think they'll lose so maybe not

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:11 pm

What the eff, Valkyrie? Losing to a toothless Quantum? Disgraceful.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:25 pm

And DUCK! falls one fight short of the tourney again.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:28 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:What the eff, Valkyrie? Losing to a toothless Quantum? Disgraceful.

That was really well done by Quantum. Never let up on her.

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:46 pm

The rake!!!!!!

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:00 pm

That hyperschock vs huge fight was pretty entertaining. Hyperschock did some great driving but that spinner just did so much damage.
Last edited by Andsed on Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:04 pm

The rake betrayed him...

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:05 pm

Kohr wrote:The rake betrayed him...

Never trust the rake! :p
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:14 pm

Uppercut didn't have to do much there, did he?
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:17 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Uppercut didn't have to do much there, did he?

Similar to WAR Hawk last year. Should be Bite Force cannon fodder as the 16 seed.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:29 pm

Good call by the judges. Blacksmith definitely deserves that win.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:30 pm

Ha! Fuck you, Rotator!
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:32 pm

Yes, Blacksmith!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction