NATION

PASSWORD

BattleBots Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 21, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:19 pm

The Hoenn Region wrote:
Pencil Sharpeners 2 wrote:Shame it's so difficult to watch in the UK again :(
When are the Battlebots TV folk going to realise that this sport has a global audience?

Such a pain in the arse!

Yeah. Last year, although videos were regularly deleted, I could usually find full episodes on Youtube if I was quick. Today I watched half the episode in questionable quality on Dailymotion, and the rest on fights on people filming their TVs on Youtube...

I totally understand Discovery not wanting people watching it illegally... but I don't want to! I'd be more than happy to throw money at the show in order to watch the full season in good quality without any hassle.
I used to do stuff in TSP
Highest ranked solo player in N-Day 2, finishing 10th
Currently the holder of 7 World #1 badges

Silver Commonwealth
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 16, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Silver Commonwealth » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:20 pm

Ohh, I first stumbled upon BattleBots in TV about 10 years ago, when I turned TV on a bit early. Back then, I didn't root for any particular team, but I rooted for those battlebots, which looked interesting. I don't remember much about the fights, and I had forgotten about such a show for quite a long time, until I remembered about it a few weeks ago, and then searched it up in Youtube.

Sadly, I am still not too much into them, so I can't comment much. I was surprised, that they are still fine and dandy after so long time, though, and that they have been in TV since 2000.
✥ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡꜱ ✥
- ꜱɴɴ
- ᴀʀᴄʜɪᴠᴇ
✉ ʀᴀɴᴅᴏᴍ ✉
- ᴀᴅᴍɪɴɪꜱᴛʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴ
- ꜱᴛᴏʀɪᴇꜱ
⚒ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴀᴛɪᴏɴᴀʟ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ʀᴇᴘᴜʙʟɪᴄ ᴏꜰ ꜱɪʟᴠᴇʀ ᴄᴏᴍᴍᴏɴᴡᴇᴀʟᴛʜ ⚒
|☐ʜᴏᴍᴇ☐|❖ꜱᴄ ɪɴ ʜᴏɪ4❖|★ꜱᴄ'ꜱ ʀᴀᴅɪᴏ&ʟᴏᴄᴀᴛɪᴏɴꜱ★|❇ᴄᴏɴꜱᴛɪᴛᴜᴛɪᴏɴ❇|✧ᴍɪʟɪᴛᴀʀʏ✧|✝ᴍᴀᴘꜱ&ɪɴꜰᴏ✝|☢ʜɪꜱᴛᴏʀʏ☢|
⚖ ᴀꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴅᴇʀᴀᴛᴇꜱ ᴀʀᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇᴍ ꜰᴇʟʟ,
ʀᴀᴅɪᴄᴀʟɪᴢᴀᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏꜰ ꜱᴄ'ꜱ ᴅᴇᴍᴏᴄʀᴀᴄʏ ꜱᴜᴘᴘᴏʀᴛᴇʀꜱ ʙᴇᴄᴀᴍᴇ ᴀ ᴍᴀᴛᴛᴇʀ ᴏꜰ ꜱᴜʀᴠɪᴠᴀʟ ☠
_[][][][][][][L'''][Σ][][~][][][]_
̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿

This nation doesn't represent my views

IRL views: not much different from 4 years ago (socdem)

Tom being a control freak + pathological distrust of private enterprises = this nation

''I thought that I was a conservative. Turns out, I was just sentimental at times''

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:41 pm

Silver Commonwealth wrote:Ohh, I first stumbled upon BattleBots in TV about 10 years ago, when I turned TV on a bit early. Back then, I didn't root for any particular team, but I rooted for those battlebots, which looked interesting. I don't remember much about the fights, and I had forgotten about such a show for quite a long time, until I remembered about it a few weeks ago, and then searched it up in Youtube.

Sadly, I am still not too much into them, so I can't comment much. I was surprised, that they are still fine and dandy after so long time, though, and that they have been in TV since 2000.

Well, not on TV consecutively. They were off the air for about 13 years and took 2017 off.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Kohr
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:41 pm

Minotaur over Whiplash
SOW over Huge
Black Dragon over Texas Twister
Duck over Bombshell
Witch Doctor over Shatter
Mammoth over Axe Backwards
Captain Shrederator over Wan Hoo
Gigabyte over Chronos

Apparently Captain Shrederator refused to fight Cobalt, so it switched places with SubZero. Lame.

Season Record: 7-1

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Kohr wrote:Apparently Captain Shrederator refused to fight Cobalt, so it switched places with SubZero. Lame.

What a wuss.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

The Hoenn Region
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hoenn Region » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:36 pm

Minotaur over whiplash (head to head their lifter forks will get messed up by the drum I reckon)
Sow over huge (I was hoping we wouldn't see huge in 2 pieces this early on but instead they get the highest KE spinner in the comp, rip)
Texas Twister over Black Dragon (if they're able to spin up)
Bombshell over Duck (think they have the lower ground clearance?)
Witch Doctor over Shatter (spinner looks brutal this year, plus ribcage top armour)
Axe Backwards over Mammoth (if they still have a spinner configuration)
Wan Hoo over Captain Shrederator (probably getting boxrushed)
Gigabyte over Chronos

Yeah before filming started I saw them post on facebook that cobalt was the bot they least wanted to fight this year. Can see why, it looks like a horizontal spinner's worst nightmare

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:37 pm

The Hoenn Region wrote:Yeah before filming started I saw them post on facebook that cobalt was the bot they least wanted to fight this year. Can see why, it looks like a horizontal spinner's worst nightmare

Everything is Captain's worst nightmare. Mostly cause the damn thing always knocks itself out after a couple of hits.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:12 pm

Horizontal spinners continue to be a HUGE problem from HUGE.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:29 pm

That decision was pretty terrible in my opinion...

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:30 pm

Kohr wrote:That decision was pretty terrible in my opinion...

Typical Lisa Winter on split decisions. Always picks the woman driver.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:38 pm

Ha ha ha! DUCK! gets some well deserved revenge.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:20 pm

I love Mammoth so much.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:21 pm

Kohr wrote:I love Mammoth so much.

Eh. I say it got lucky. Axe Backwards never got its drum going. Second this thing runs into something with a functioning weapon, it's hosed.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:39 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Everything is Captain's worst nightmare. Mostly cause the damn thing always knocks itself out after a couple of hits.

Self-quote for relevance.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Ozzy
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Ozzy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:42 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Everything is Captain's worst nightmare. Mostly cause the damn thing always knocks itself out after a couple of hits.

Self-quote for relevance.

A damn shame, since the old man is a really good driver
Last edited by IM Meen on Wed May 15, 1996 1:29 pm, edited 756 times in total.

Long live the Global Liberation Army!
Leader of NS Hoofington Reapers

In this world we stand for what we love, for what is right and for our rights. If you don't stand for either one of these you don't stand at all. You're crippled mentally. Your rights give you your life, that life gives you the right to stand for what is right for the world and one of those rights in the world is standing strong for those you love and what you love as a whole.

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:44 pm

Ozzy wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Self-quote for relevance.

A damn shame, since the old man is a really good driver

He could have won that match if he recognized his KO.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:58 pm

Dude, this new Minotaur drum sucks.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:07 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Dude, this new Minotaur drum sucks.

Yeah, that was pretty much a terrible main event. Whiplash was also disappointing given their issues with the lifter.

The Hoenn Region
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hoenn Region » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:10 am

I agree with witch doctor winning, shatter gets no more than 1 aggression point from me as it sat and waited for witch doctor in the first half of the fight, and then I didn't really see shatter inflict any damage. Bombshell ended up in a very familiar situation, can't believe they didn't sort what cost them most of their fights last year.

Overall some decent fights but the episode was plagued with reliability issues, hopefully they'll be confined to the early season.

Window Land
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 02, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Window Land » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:25 am

One thing I would like to clear up: Shatter's fancy wheels are not Omni wheels they are mecanum wheels. Omni wheels have sideways rollers and are typically used to reduce turning scrub. Mecanum wheels have rollers at 45 degrees and can be used to to drive sideways as well as at angles.
Last edited by Window Land on Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bored college student who is probably supposed to be doing something important.
Woodie Flowers wrote:If you’re anti-science, you’re pro-stupid.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall wrote:I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Winston Churchill wrote:Democracy is the worst form of government – except for all the others that have been tried.

Randall Munroe wrote: I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.
Free Speech

The Galactic Liberal Democracy
Minister

Founded: Jun 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Galactic Liberal Democracy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:42 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Dude, this new Minotaur drum sucks.

I think it was broken. It certainly seemed that way to me.
Window Land wrote:One thing I would like to clear up: Shatter's fancy wheels are not Omni wheels they are mecanum wheels. Omni wheels have sideways rollers and are typically used to reduce turning scrub. Mecanum wheels have rollers at 45 degrees and can be used to to drive sideways as well as at angles.

Yeah, I've seen both of them at Vex Robotics Competitions, they are different.

They look cool but usually aren't that useful. It also might be easier to destroy, wheels are almost always a vulnerability.
Speaking of wheels, what do you think of Huge? I wish it went against a different bot so I could see the durability compared to average spinners and drums
And if course, Mammoth was a new one. I think it's a fun idea, but not viable against anything fast or powerful. Nothing will ever top Obwalden Overlord.
And thanks guys. You actually informed me of a new season, I had forgotten about it.
NOT STORMTROOPERS
Cossack Khanate wrote:This shall forever be known as World War Sh*t: Newark Aggression. Now if I see one more troop deployed, I will call on the force of all the Hindu gods to reverse time and wipe your race of the face of the planet. Cease.

The Black Party wrote:(TBP kamikaze's into all 99999999999 nukes before they hit our territory because we just have that many pilots ready to die for dah blak regime, we also counter-attack into your nation with our entire population of 45 million because this RP allows it.)

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Galatic Liberal Democracy short-circuits all of NS with FACTS and LOGIC

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:55 pm

The Galactic Liberal Democracy wrote:Speaking of wheels, what do you think of Huge? I wish it went against a different bot so I could see the durability compared to average spinners and drums

It's a one trick pony. The same thing happened last season. Second it runs into a horizontal spinner, it gets taken to the cleaners.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:56 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
The Galactic Liberal Democracy wrote:Speaking of wheels, what do you think of Huge? I wish it went against a different bot so I could see the durability compared to average spinners and drums

It's a one trick pony. The same thing happened last season. Second it runs into a horizontal spinner, it gets taken to the cleaners.

Yeah, it benefited last season from a schedule largely free of spinners. It won't repeat as a top 16 bot.

The Hoenn Region
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hoenn Region » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:32 pm

The Hoenn Region
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hoenn Region » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:43 pm

Bite force over Yeti (bar has better bite than the drum)
Copperhead over Skorpios (the prongs out the front of scorpios seem to feed into the drum)
Lucky over Bloodsport (unless they repeat the completely retarded rope a dope strategy they used against SoW where they let a full body spinner spin up)
Hydra over Free shipping (they look super low to the ground and their primary weapon should get more points than a lifter)
Monsoon over Ragnarok (looks like a repeat of monsoon vs petunia)
Rail gun max over Mad catter
Falcon over Breaker box (wedgelets)
Petunia over War hawk (probably not but war hawk is so flat and biteable, I want to believe)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction