NATION

PASSWORD

What is the last movie you've seen? Part 2

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Hamidiye
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1133
Founded: Jan 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hamidiye » Fri May 06, 2022 10:21 pm

Elwher wrote:Al Capone - an underrated classic from the 50s


The one with Rod Steiger playing the man? Any movie Steiger is in seems to be pretty good. Hell, that man did such an incredible job playing roles like that.. he was Mussolini twice, and even made a very convincing Napoleon Bonaparte!

Watched "Waterloo" again, that old 1970 classic still can out-perform any modern CGI... Don't get me wrong, I like modern effects, there's plenty of movies that use them to perfection (Dune anyone?), but... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt4mYUKjzn0

Is it just me, or do todays actors seem rather pale in comparison? So do most the movies, coming to think of it.

Until GCI can do this I guess I'll stay a movie-nostalgic. :D
Last edited by Hamidiye on Fri May 06, 2022 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cives, floreat Europa
Opus magnum vocat vos
Stellae signa sunt in caelo
Aureae, quae iungant nos
-ПТН--ХЛО-
☪ 1881 - 193∞!
Pro: Social Authoritarianism, Kemalism, Militarism. Contra: liberalism, capitalism, communism, progressivism, religion

[ kebab intensifies ]
factbook link

User avatar
Elwher
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5994
Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Sat May 07, 2022 6:40 am

Hamidiye wrote:
Elwher wrote:Al Capone - an underrated classic from the 50s


The one with Rod Steiger playing the man? Any movie Steiger is in seems to be pretty good. Hell, that man did such an incredible job playing roles like that.. he was Mussolini twice, and even made a very convincing Napoleon Bonaparte!

Watched "Waterloo" again, that old 1970 classic still can out-perform any modern CGI... Don't get me wrong, I like modern effects, there's plenty of movies that use them to perfection (Dune anyone?), but... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt4mYUKjzn0

Is it just me, or do todays actors seem rather pale in comparison? So do most the movies, coming to think of it.

Until GCI can do this I guess I'll stay a movie-nostalgic. :D


That's the one, and for the most part I agree with you about CGI, However, I just watched Cool World for the I don't know how many times and that is what CGI should do.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

User avatar
Samrif
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 21
Founded: Apr 13, 2022
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Samrif » Sat May 07, 2022 6:41 am

The Batman

User avatar
Hamidiye
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1133
Founded: Jan 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hamidiye » Sun May 08, 2022 5:43 am

Image

Would recommend.
Cives, floreat Europa
Opus magnum vocat vos
Stellae signa sunt in caelo
Aureae, quae iungant nos
-ПТН--ХЛО-
☪ 1881 - 193∞!
Pro: Social Authoritarianism, Kemalism, Militarism. Contra: liberalism, capitalism, communism, progressivism, religion

[ kebab intensifies ]
factbook link

User avatar
Elwher
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5994
Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Sun May 08, 2022 8:02 am

Theatre of Blood Vincent Price and Dianna Riggs, what's not to love.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

User avatar
Barboneia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10557
Founded: Sep 17, 2014
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Barboneia » Sun May 08, 2022 3:53 pm

Everything Everywhere All at Once. Excellent movie.
Depressing Nordic semi-socialist commonwealth filled with Lovecraftian horrors, man-eating fox people, Finns, bizarre accents, and Volvos.
A collection of some of my NationStates artwork. Updated recently!
Barboneian Prime Ministers, now with pictures!


User avatar
The Orwell Society
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1261
Founded: Apr 16, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Sun May 08, 2022 5:34 pm

Spider Man: No Way Home

It was kinda disappointing, really. Underwhelming.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

A totalitarian, socialist, fascist society ruled by a ruthless dictator known as Big Brother, the First Triumvir Donovan Xavier. The omnipresent and endlessly oppressive government is made up of four ministries: The Ministry of Truth, the Ministry of Love, the Ministry of Peace, and the Ministry of Surplus.

Takes up present-day Russia, China, Mongolia, Vietnam, and Taiwan.

Big Brother is watching you…

NEWS: 42 42 42 42 42 42 42

I am a 15 year old weirdo living in the United States. I like politics, reading, and goofing off. Aspiring WA author.

Bendicion wrote:This is America. The only thing that changes is the gas prices. And it's changing for the worse.

User avatar
Snow Bird-Worldism Crash
Diplomat
 
Posts: 927
Founded: Nov 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Snow Bird-Worldism Crash » Wed May 11, 2022 8:00 pm

licorice pizza (2021)
flag by jenny parks. thanks jenny!

linktree

User avatar
Radiatia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8289
Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Capitalizt

Postby Radiatia » Fri May 13, 2022 5:37 am

Pacific Rim Uprising (2018).

I was shocked by how much I enjoyed this movie.

The movie was thoroughly unintelligent, extremely predictable to the point of being comical and consisted of nothing more than a series of tropes and clichés strung together one after the other to create one of the most truly formulaic movies I've ever seen.

But honest to god, I enjoyed it. Perhaps I'm suffering some form of intellectual and cognitive decline, but I was enthralled from beginning to end - it was just pure, lowbrow fun.

I still haven't seen the first Pacific Rim movie as I hitherto had no interest in the franchise but I might actually give it a go now.

User avatar
Elwher
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5994
Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Fri May 13, 2022 9:37 am

Zero Hour - the 1957 movie that was the (serious) basis for Airplane
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

User avatar
Seangoli
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5914
Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Fri May 13, 2022 11:57 am

Radiatia wrote:Pacific Rim Uprising (2018).

I was shocked by how much I enjoyed this movie.

The movie was thoroughly unintelligent, extremely predictable to the point of being comical and consisted of nothing more than a series of tropes and clichés strung together one after the other to create one of the most truly formulaic movies I've ever seen.

But honest to god, I enjoyed it. Perhaps I'm suffering some form of intellectual and cognitive decline, but I was enthralled from beginning to end - it was just pure, lowbrow fun.

I still haven't seen the first Pacific Rim movie as I hitherto had no interest in the franchise but I might actually give it a go now.


Pacific Rim is great because it knows exactly what it is, and gives zero shits about being more than that. It's not trying to be anything more than a spectacular Kaiju fighting movie, and that's all it is trying to do. It's a perfect example of less is more. The movie didn't need a deep plot, layered dialogue, etc. In fact that stuff would likely be detrimental. The plot of the first is dumber than the second, but frankly it just works. Its a masterclass in dumb action movies and how to do them correctly. Great world building, huge, dumb fights, often bordering on the absurd for the story. Too many action movies try to be more than what they are, and try to interject a more serious story line or be clever.
Last edited by Seangoli on Fri May 13, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
Radiatia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8289
Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Capitalizt

Postby Radiatia » Sat May 14, 2022 8:43 am

Left Behind (2014).

Oh boy. There are comedians out there who would give a kidney to make a movie this hilarious. I consider this to be, without any hyperbole, on par with Tommy Wisseau's infamous The Room in terms of being so bad that I literally howled with laughter throughout.

I'm writing this long post as my way of psychologically processing the trainwreck I just witnessed.

I decided to watch it because I saw it on a list of "worst movies of all time" and also saw that it starred Nicolas Cage, a combination thereby guaranteeing a good time. I was not disappointed.

It's not even bad for the reasons that you'd assume it would be - I had braced myself for a series of Christian strawman arguments (à la God is not Dead) which were indeed to be found but not as prominently as you'd expect.

Actually, I read the Left Behind book series a few years ago and in their defence, they're pretty damn good. Yes they're religious books, but they're still well-written enough to be enjoyable even by someone like me who doesn't believe in their god.

The movie's problem is that it totally abandoned the source material and went in an absurd Snakes on a Plane direction. The movie could have been called "Wrathful God on a Plane".

I don't know if I'll be able to list everything that was wrong with the movie but a few highlights include:

  • One shot suggests they're planning to fly a Boeing 737 from JFK to London. A 737 is not designed for long range flight.
  • The make of the aircraft changes multiple times in the movie, a detail you'd think they'd have looked at given its importance to the plot. (It's a 767 later on. Also the livery changes from blue to red a few times.) I'm pretty sure much of this movie was constructed from old stock footage.
  • The acting. With the exception of Nic Cage (who somehow turned in a respectable performance from this awful script), I've never seen such terrible acting outside of a Wisseau film.
  • The passengers have remarkably easy access to the cockpit, considering this was filmed long after 9/11 and therefore long after pilots started locking their doors as a standard procedure
  • Apparently when Jesus comes in the rapture, he will take time out to disable any autopilots he comes across. There is no reason why a raptured pilot should cause the autopilot to disengage.
  • Also, a long-haul flight wouldn't have such a small crew or leave a single pilot in charge for any amount of time. There is no way the other pilot would have ever been alone at the controls when the rapture happened.
  • Very unrealistic portrayal of a TCAS system. There's no way a pilot would wait until they were within visual range of the other aircraft to climb.
  • And the mid-air collision scene? In real life they'd have crashed and died. No aircraft would survive that.
  • One of the passengers pulls out a motherfucking gun for no reason, somehow having slipped it past post 9/11 airport security.
  • There seem to be an awful lot of self driving cars in this movie. Considering the drivers disappeared, who is pressing on the accelerators? God I guess?
  • The landing on the freeway scene is theoretically plausible but just terribly written. I don't think even God would be willing to perform the kinds of miracles needed for such an absurd chain of events to occur.

So yeah, all in all this movie would have been better if they'd unironically gone down the "Why oh why did I choose to be gay" route. I think this movie is probably as insulting to people who believe in the premise of the Left Behind series as it is to anyone else.

But hey - it does feature Nicolas Cage, an angry midget and a hilarious combination of terrible writing, terrible acting and Ed Wood-level bad directing.

Seangoli wrote:
Radiatia wrote:Pacific Rim Uprising (2018).

I was shocked by how much I enjoyed this movie.

The movie was thoroughly unintelligent, extremely predictable to the point of being comical and consisted of nothing more than a series of tropes and clichés strung together one after the other to create one of the most truly formulaic movies I've ever seen.

But honest to god, I enjoyed it. Perhaps I'm suffering some form of intellectual and cognitive decline, but I was enthralled from beginning to end - it was just pure, lowbrow fun.

I still haven't seen the first Pacific Rim movie as I hitherto had no interest in the franchise but I might actually give it a go now.


Pacific Rim is great because it knows exactly what it is, and gives zero shits about being more than that. It's not trying to be anything more than a spectacular Kaiju fighting movie, and that's all it is trying to do. It's a perfect example of less is more. The movie didn't need a deep plot, layered dialogue, etc. In fact that stuff would likely be detrimental. The plot of the first is dumber than the second, but frankly it just works. Its a masterclass in dumb action movies and how to do them correctly. Great world building, huge, dumb fights, often bordering on the absurd for the story. Too many action movies try to be more than what they are, and try to interject a more serious story line or be clever.


100% agree with this assessment.
Last edited by Radiatia on Sat May 14, 2022 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Arpasia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1689
Founded: Jun 18, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Arpasia » Sat May 14, 2022 8:45 am

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (I don't remember when it was made).
Ek Sê!, A Nation on Eastern Altropia, basically an Alternate Universe France.
NS Stats executed by M67 Rifle.
Le temps Philippeaux: Operation Mill succeeds in retrieving stranded TAF Osage crew, soldiers report no hostile engagements. | Large oil slick belonging to unknown vessel spotted 204 km off Afrean shores. | Occidentian helicopter squadron reported missing near Papirstan-Arakistan border, Al-Muhahar suspected to be responsible. | Noirien Defense Force overthrows Black Coast government, military vehicles surround Port-Zaba.
Since those people have anime girls and whatnot on their flags, I decide to use him in my flag, and also, this is not Henry on my flag, it's Konrad.

Likes: Quailty Posts, F7, GE&T, Henry Stickmin, S-61R, UH-60.
Dislikes: Summies, Adbots, Slaver Nations, One-liners.

User avatar
Elwher
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5994
Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Sat May 14, 2022 12:02 pm

Executive Suite - Very dated (early 1950s) but well written, acted, and directed for its time.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

User avatar
Ellbonnia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 846
Founded: Sep 26, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ellbonnia » Mon May 16, 2022 8:02 pm

I was roped by my cinephile friends into watching a 1950s film called Tokyo Story by Yasujirō Ozu. I enjoyed it immensely, and I can understand why it's so beloved by film geeks.

Chartreuse is my favorite color.
"NS Stats"? Nova Scotians are nerds.
"Actually, it's more of a low-pitched, wheezing kind of short mumble. Like, do tapirs make any noises? It's a tapir sneeze."
We're having a party and you're invited~

User avatar
Elwher
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5994
Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Tue May 17, 2022 7:00 am

Do The Right Thing - Well made, but depressing
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

User avatar
Diaboland
Envoy
 
Posts: 271
Founded: Dec 07, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Diaboland » Tue May 17, 2022 7:10 am

The Insider. Really well-made, unfortunately snubbed at the awards

User avatar
-Azteca Mexico
Envoy
 
Posts: 316
Founded: Nov 05, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby -Azteca Mexico » Tue May 17, 2022 7:14 am

Toys Story 4
The United Mexican States of
Mexico
Mexico, but the Aztecs dominate North and Central America.
★Overview★
Political Parties
NS stats not used

User avatar
Snow Bird-Worldism Crash
Diplomat
 
Posts: 927
Founded: Nov 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Snow Bird-Worldism Crash » Wed May 18, 2022 3:34 pm

Ruby Sparks (2012)
flag by jenny parks. thanks jenny!

linktree

User avatar
Cannot think of a name
Post Czar
 
Posts: 37824
Founded: Antiquity
New York Times Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed May 18, 2022 8:38 pm

Elwher wrote:Zero Hour - the 1957 movie that was the (serious) basis for Airplane

Well, and the trilogy of airplane disaster movies current at the time (Airport 75, Airport 77, and The Concorde-Airport 79). Airplane! came out in 1980. Zero Hour as well. But prior to Star Wars and Jaws the 'comic book movie' of the 70s were disaster movies. Three airplane disaster movies, Towering Inferno, Poseiden Adventure, China Syndrome, Meteor, Avalanche, Earthquake, Disaster on the Coastliners, Skyjacked, Murder on Flight 502, SST: Death Flight, Black Sunday (a blimp crashes into a football game).

And that's a short list.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

User avatar
Diaboland
Envoy
 
Posts: 271
Founded: Dec 07, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Diaboland » Wed May 18, 2022 8:38 pm

My favorite movie. Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

User avatar
Elwher
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5994
Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Thu May 19, 2022 10:17 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Elwher wrote:Zero Hour - the 1957 movie that was the (serious) basis for Airplane

Well, and the trilogy of airplane disaster movies current at the time (Airport 75, Airport 77, and The Concorde-Airport 79). Airplane! came out in 1980. Zero Hour as well. But prior to Star Wars and Jaws the 'comic book movie' of the 70s were disaster movies. Three airplane disaster movies, Towering Inferno, Poseiden Adventure, China Syndrome, Meteor, Avalanche, Earthquake, Disaster on the Coastliners, Skyjacked, Murder on Flight 502, SST: Death Flight, Black Sunday (a blimp crashes into a football game).

And that's a short list.


Yes, but Airplane was a direct lift from 1957's Zero Hour, right down to the character's names. Many of the lines in the former were also taken directly from the latter as well, just delivered quite differently.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

User avatar
Elwher
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5994
Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Thu May 19, 2022 10:18 am

Z
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

User avatar
Hispida
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5080
Founded: Jun 21, 2021
Anarchy

Postby Hispida » Thu May 19, 2022 1:04 pm

just finished watching all quiet on the western front and now i'm crying in my room thanks
Thank you, Technoblade.
i now have a basic overview factbook
christian, marxist-leninist, ace/aro demiboy. he/they
"Like a blind puppy sniffing at random first in one direction and then in another"
"Mr. 'Muddleheaded Counsellor'!"
"It sounds just like he were chewing rags in his sleep!"
"Thanks to such a fraud"
"he utterly fails to understand"
"This windbag"
"inevitably proves to be a lackey of the bourgeoisie"
"Kautsky has beaten the world record in the liberal distortion of Marx"
Victory Day: February 23, 2022
free our man south reinkalistan!!!

User avatar
Pulsroth
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 365
Founded: Oct 07, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Pulsroth » Thu May 19, 2022 1:37 pm

The God Of Cookery, quite possibly the silliest movie I've ever watched in my life.
The greatest Asian meritocracy of the 2040's, run by NS's resident vaguely aristocratic English rose.

Visit my other nation as well, why don't you? Wip3d Out

Pro-Ukraine, not pro-Ukrainian government. The Ukrainian people are right to fight back, but at the end of the day, we're still defending a corrupt dictatorship in its battle against another corrupt dictatorship.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads