NATION

PASSWORD

Rainbledon: My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed May 17, 2017 1:32 am

Frenequesta wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:2 more episodes out there online.

Who keeps on leaking these things, and why isn't Hasbro suing them for copyright infringement?

I think it's just airing early somewhere else. I'm not complaining.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Frenequesta » Wed May 17, 2017 2:08 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Frenequesta wrote:Who keeps on leaking these things, and why isn't Hasbro suing them for copyright infringement?

I think it's just airing early somewhere else. I'm not complaining.

I know Canada's getting a few early, but this seems to be more.

At this stage I'm already too used to it.
I’m mostly here for... something to do, I suppose.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed May 17, 2017 9:43 am

Was I and Ameriganastan the only ones who talked about Parental Glideance?
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Wed May 17, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Postby Frenequesta » Wed May 17, 2017 10:51 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Was I and Ameriganastan the only ones who talked about Parental Glideance?

I strictly keep myself to official American releases only.

The others just don't seem to comment anymore. Sad, because I've intended my reviews to generate discussion.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed May 17, 2017 2:07 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Was I and Ameriganastan the only ones who talked about Parental Glideance?

Looks that way.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Thu May 18, 2017 3:21 pm

Frenequesta wrote:

I strictly keep myself to official American releases only.

The others just don't seem to comment anymore. Sad, because I've intended my reviews to generate discussion.

Well, the Canadian Releases are official too. :hug:

Ameriganastan wrote:

Looks that way.

Also, I'm glad to see that we agree on that episode being good.
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Thu May 18, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sat May 20, 2017 8:44 am

After a royal problem's description nearly broke the fandom in the comments, a royal problem turned out really good.

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Postby Frenequesta » Sat May 20, 2017 9:48 am

Well, Herp, here's my take on the last Scootalove episode:

I so thought this was going to be about helicopter parenting. Not quite (though the analogy is certainly hinted at as it involves flying pegasi).

So we meet the last undiscovered family of the Mane Six--Rainbow Dash's Bow Hothoof and Windy Whistles. I just compared the stallion seen in "Games Ponies Play" that many have speculated as Dash's father to Bow Hothoof and have concluded that the one in "Games Ponies Play" may have been an uncle--while they share the same coat color, the cutie marks are significantly different.

In some ways this episode was episodes like "Daring Don't" and "Stranger than Fan Fiction" reversed--focusing on the celebrity's point of view in dealing with obnoxious fans. The fact that the fans here were the parents makes it not a perfect mirror image because of the different dynamics, of course, but I can't help but wonder if the experiences there influenced Dash's thought process as well as her childhood memories.

I'm not entirely happy with the message here--"appreciate your parents, even if they are obnoxiously supportive of you for every single thing, as they give you confidence to succeed." Not necessarily that is not a good message for a child as a child to learn--but it's not an ideal message for the child when she grows up and becomes a parent herself. The support Dash's parent's gave her was so undifferentiated and unqualified it seems more likely to me that Dash would have tuned it out and become more apathetic than ambitious. (In that regard, when we look back at Dash's reflection, she doesn't seem to acknowledge her own ambition as a driving force to succeed when she attributes her parent's support as the key to her success. I would have expected Scootaloo to help her qualify it, having finally learned that she wasn't always the best.) A better parent, in my mind, would be supportive, but also encourage the child to grow, and that simply wasn't apparent here.

Scootaloo's review of Dash's Wonderbolt history struck me as mostly filler that could have been truncated to allow for more consequences of Dash's fallout with her parents qua parents. Scootaloo's threat to not make Dash the subject of her report, while understandable, seems like an overreaction given how much she's already done. (Who else would she find? The show has given her basically no other significant relationships besides the other Crusaders, Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, and maybe Twilight Sparkle, none of which have nearly inspired her as much as Dash.)

Of course, if Scootaloo had enough foresight enough to get Twilight involved, the episode would have been over very, very quickly as Twilight would simply tell her parents to pipe down a little. Or maybe not.

I don't heap my full, fanatic praise on this episode, but neither am I going to yell at it. It is definitely on the good side of the line, though.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sat May 20, 2017 10:53 am

Frenequesta wrote:Well, Herp, here's my take on the last Scootalove episode:

I so thought this was going to be about helicopter parenting. Not quite (though the analogy is certainly hinted at as it involves flying pegasi).

So we meet the last undiscovered family of the Mane Six--Rainbow Dash's Bow Hothoof and Windy Whistles. I just compared the stallion seen in "Games Ponies Play" that many have speculated as Dash's father to Bow Hothoof and have concluded that the one in "Games Ponies Play" may have been an uncle--while they share the same coat color, the cutie marks are significantly different.

In some ways this episode was episodes like "Daring Don't" and "Stranger than Fan Fiction" reversed--focusing on the celebrity's point of view in dealing with obnoxious fans. The fact that the fans here were the parents makes it not a perfect mirror image because of the different dynamics, of course, but I can't help but wonder if the experiences there influenced Dash's thought process as well as her childhood memories.

I'm not entirely happy with the message here--"appreciate your parents, even if they are obnoxiously supportive of you for every single thing, as they give you confidence to succeed." Not necessarily that is not a good message for a child as a child to learn--but it's not an ideal message for the child when she grows up and becomes a parent herself. The support Dash's parent's gave her was so undifferentiated and unqualified it seems more likely to me that Dash would have tuned it out and become more apathetic than ambitious. (In that regard, when we look back at Dash's reflection, she doesn't seem to acknowledge her own ambition as a driving force to succeed when she attributes her parent's support as the key to her success. I would have expected Scootaloo to help her qualify it, having finally learned that she wasn't always the best.) A better parent, in my mind, would be supportive, but also encourage the child to grow, and that simply wasn't apparent here.

Scootaloo's review of Dash's Wonderbolt history struck me as mostly filler that could have been truncated to allow for more consequences of Dash's fallout with her parents qua parents. Scootaloo's threat to not make Dash the subject of her report, while understandable, seems like an overreaction given how much she's already done. (Who else would she find? The show has given her basically no other significant relationships besides the other Crusaders, Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, and maybe Twilight Sparkle, none of which have nearly inspired her as much as Dash.)

Of course, if Scootaloo had enough foresight enough to get Twilight involved, the episode would have been over very, very quickly as Twilight would simply tell her parents to pipe down a little. Or maybe not.

I don't heap my full, fanatic praise on this episode, but neither am I going to yell at it. It is definitely on the good side of the line, though.

See, I had the problem with the moral too. But, the argument could be made that the moral was "Don't snap at your parents."

I didn't see the Scootaloo and Dashes family stuff as filler, but more bonding. This in my opinion makes the ending of episode the episode even better.

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Postby Frenequesta » Sat May 20, 2017 11:39 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Frenequesta wrote:Well, Herp, here's my take on the last Scootalove episode:

See, I had the problem with the moral too. But, the argument could be made that the moral was "Don't snap at your parents."

I didn't see the Scootaloo and Dashes family stuff as filler, but more bonding. This in my opinion makes the ending of episode the episode even better.

In some ways I think that the relationship between Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash is already so familiar to even the youngest viewers that it doesn't need too many examples, but of course, it is the best bonding of the show, and I can't fault the writers for heaping more in that view. :hug:

Also, couple other things I just thought of:

(1) If I were Scootaloo, I would have started Dash's Wonderbolt history with the Best Young Flier's Competition in "Sonic Rainboom," where she got praised by them for saving the Wonderbolts and Rarity from some neck cracks, and going off on a fly with them--I wouldn't doubt if that was a contributing factor in accepting her into the Wonderbolt Academy.
(2) In Dash's flashbacks, Lightning Dust was a participant in the races. That seems a little inconsistent with the interaction she and Dash had in "Wonderbolts Academy," where they apparently met for the first time. If it's not just a blip, however, it certainly adds a layer to the dynamic the two had in that episode.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sat May 20, 2017 12:18 pm

Frenequesta wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:

In some ways I think that the relationship between Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash is already so familiar to even the youngest viewers that it doesn't need too many examples, but of course, it is the best bonding of the show, and I can't fault the writers for heaping more in that view. :hug:

Also, couple other things I just thought of:

(1) If I were Scootaloo, I would have started Dash's Wonderbolt history with the Best Young Flier's Competition in "Sonic Rainboom," where she got praised by them for saving the Wonderbolts and Rarity from some neck cracks, and going off on a fly with them--I wouldn't doubt if that was a contributing factor in accepting her into the Wonderbolt Academy.
(2) In Dash's flashbacks, Lightning Dust was a participant in the races. That seems a little inconsistent with the interaction she and Dash had in "Wonderbolts Academy," where they apparently met for the first time. If it's not just a blip, however, it certainly adds a layer to the dynamic the two had in that episode.

More scootalove is always welcome. :hug:
(2) Maybe Lightning Dust just forgot?

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat May 20, 2017 2:31 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:After a royal problem's description nearly broke the fandom in the comments, a royal problem turned out really good.

Quite. Nice to know millennia old, demigod princesses can be as snippy as regular siblings.
Also, Evil Celestia. That shit was righteously awesome.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Sat May 20, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sat May 20, 2017 2:32 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:After a royal problem's description nearly broke the fandom in the comments, a royal problem turned out really good.

Quite. Nice to know millennia old, demigod princesses can be as snippy as regular siblings.
Also, Evil Celestia. That shit was righteously awesome.

Yeah, that was pretty awesome.

The Norgan Alliance
Minister

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Norgan Alliance » Sat May 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Sinovet wrote:Anyone else get the feeling they've started to make Starlight the new main character, because they've exhausted every idea with their existing cast and overpowered half of them to a ridiculous point and now it seems like the mains are made of cardboard?

Because I think its a pretty smart move on the writer's part. They've massively overdeveloped their main characters to the point where nothing challenges them anymore and they've already done everything they can do with their shallow character archetypes already like 6 or 7 times. Don't believe me? How many times have they done the "fluttershy mans up/learns to face her fears" plot now? Like 50? A bazillion? That's because Fluttershy is a stereotypical shy character and there is only one direction you can really go with a shy character.

Putting in new characters, even if some of them fit the same character types as the old ones, is kind of the only way to revitalize a stagnant show without putting in too much effort.

There's a certain point where your Level 20 God-Characters should just pass into legend and you should roll up new Level 1s to struggle through with.
Call me Norga and I'll give you a cookie
|No Left Turn|
"When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons." ~ Principle Scudworth, 2003
The Liberated Territories wrote:Ancestry: Murican
Ethnicity: Murican
Race: Murican

Murica

Dragoria
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dragoria » Sat May 20, 2017 9:26 pm

I'm glad the princesses are getting more personality lately. This episode was pretty good.
"Alliances are fun. I'm in. Unless this is an alliance which I already joined, in which case I'm out. Quint's an asshole." ~Quintolania
"I thought you were like the manliest man ever. If someone told me you were a brilliant swordsman and hunted deer on foot and unarmed, I wouldn't have thought that it was much of an exaggeration." ~Murbleflip

Que Sera, Sera

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat May 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Dragoria wrote:I'm glad the princesses are getting more personality lately. This episode was pretty good.

Whoever they brought on this season really has been nailing it. There's only one bad episode in the whole bunch.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Dragoria
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dragoria » Sat May 20, 2017 10:16 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Dragoria wrote:I'm glad the princesses are getting more personality lately. This episode was pretty good.

Whoever they brought on this season really has been nailing it. There's only one bad episode in the whole bunch.
I wasn't able to watch most of the "Mac gets a crush" episode because cringe and just skipped to like, the last 3 minutes or so. So having a good episode today was good for my mood.
"Alliances are fun. I'm in. Unless this is an alliance which I already joined, in which case I'm out. Quint's an asshole." ~Quintolania
"I thought you were like the manliest man ever. If someone told me you were a brilliant swordsman and hunted deer on foot and unarmed, I wouldn't have thought that it was much of an exaggeration." ~Murbleflip

Que Sera, Sera

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat May 20, 2017 10:22 pm

Dragoria wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Whoever they brought on this season really has been nailing it. There's only one bad episode in the whole bunch.

I wasn't able to watch most of the "Mac gets a crush" episode because cringe and just skipped to like, the last 3 minutes or so. So having a good episode today was good for my mood.

Then you missed the hilarity of Big Mac's first musical number. I was dying.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Dragoria
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dragoria » Sat May 20, 2017 10:24 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Dragoria wrote:I wasn't able to watch most of the "Mac gets a crush" episode because cringe and just skipped to like, the last 3 minutes or so. So having a good episode today was good for my mood.

Then you missed the hilarity of Big Mac's first musical number. I was dying.
He sang in "Apples To The Core" in "Pinkie Apple Pie".
I'll go youtube the song up.

Edit: And "Find The Music In You" in...whatever episode that was.
Last edited by Dragoria on Sat May 20, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Que Sera, Sera

Dragoria
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dragoria » Sat May 20, 2017 10:29 pm

Hm. That song was...still very unenjoyable for me.

Que Sera, Sera

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Postby Frenequesta » Sat May 20, 2017 10:32 pm

Dang it guys, pipe down, you're tempting me to break my schedule. :p

Dragoria wrote:Edit: And "Find The Music In You" in...whatever episode that was.

"Filli Vanilli."

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat May 20, 2017 10:33 pm

Dragoria wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Then you missed the hilarity of Big Mac's first musical number. I was dying.
He sang in "Apples To The Core" in "Pinkie Apple Pie".

Fine, first solo musical number, Mr. Semantics.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Dragoria
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dragoria » Sat May 20, 2017 10:36 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Dragoria wrote: He sang in "Apples To The Core" in "Pinkie Apple Pie".

Fine, first solo musical number, Mr. Semantics.
This wasn't a solo, "I Can't Beliebe It's Not Butterface" and his backup singers sang half the song.

Frenequesta wrote:Dang it guys, pipe down, you're tempting me to break my schedule. :p

Dragoria wrote:Edit: And "Find The Music In You" in...whatever episode that was.

"Filli Vanilli."
Brought to you by the Committee to Resurrect Milli Vanilli Jokes.
Thank

Que Sera, Sera

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat May 20, 2017 10:42 pm

Dragoria wrote:This wasn't a solo, "I Can't Beliebe It's Not Butterface" and his backup singers sang half the song.

The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Dragoria
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dragoria » Sat May 20, 2017 10:50 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Dragoria wrote:This wasn't a solo, "I Can't Beliebe It's Not Butterface" and his backup singers sang half the song.

Minus ten points for not using a colorful horse as reaction image.

Que Sera, Sera

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction