NATION

PASSWORD

Rainbledon: My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tokuopolis
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Tokuopolis » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:07 pm

I just saw marks for effort, the 1st episode with Cozy Glow.

I have to say, she doesn't seem like the bad guy type, just a little misguided.

WTH happens between s8 episode 12 and the s8 finale to drive her over the edge?
I like Telegrams. My nation may or may not reflect my real views(it depends what I feel like).
Want to talk about your favourite western animations? Do it here!
“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.”-Voltaire (:P)
I'm not a professional. I'm a Pterosaur. Fandom Variety. Minneapolis and Thermopolis aren't in Greece, and neither am I.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:09 pm

Tokuopolis wrote:I just saw marks for effort, the 1st episode with Cozy Glow.

You ever watch Star Trek? Cause the Ferengi have a phrase that fits her: "The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife."
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:34 pm

Nothing, she's just a straight up sociopath that's faking innocence.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Tokuopolis
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tokuopolis » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:26 am

Ameriganastan wrote:

You ever watch Star Trek? Cause the Ferengi have a phrase that fits her: "The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife."

Giovenith wrote:

So they played the Twist Villain Trope completely straight. While I enjoyed most of the Disney/Pixar films that used it, I only think some pulled it off well (Treasure Planet, Toy Story 2, Wreck-it Ralph 1, Toy Story 3, Monsters Inc) and those are the exception for me. If it doesn't work in animated films most of the time, it probably won't work in animated TV shows either. I'll have to watch the rest of s8 to see if they pull it off.
Last edited by Tokuopolis on Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
I like Telegrams. My nation may or may not reflect my real views(it depends what I feel like).
“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.”-Voltaire (:P)
I'm not a professional. I'm a Pterosaur. Fandom Variety. Minneapolis and Thermopolis aren't in Greece, and neither am I.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:15 am

Tokuopolis wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:You ever watch Star Trek? Cause the Ferengi have a phrase that fits her: "The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife."

Giovenith wrote:

So they played the Twist Villain Trope completely straight. While I enjoyed most of the Disney/Pixar films that used it, I only think some pulled it off well (Treasure Planet, Toy Story 2, Wreck-it Ralph 1, Toy Story 3, Monsters Inc) and those are the exception for me. If it doesn't work in animated films most of the time, it probably won't work in animated TV shows either. I'll have to watch the rest of s8 to see if they pull it off.

It's been severely overused at this point. Now whenever I watch something for kids, the second I see the most innocent, kind, and unassuming character who's not a protagonist, I'm automatically like, "That's the villain." And I'm right.

Twist villains, by their nature, are something that can only be done once in a great while by a few people.
she/her

Tokuopolis
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tokuopolis » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:55 am

Giovenith wrote:
Tokuopolis wrote:

It's been severely overused at this point. Now whenever I watch something for kids, the second I see the most innocent, kind, and unassuming character who's not a protagonist, I'm automatically like, "That's the villain." And I'm right.

Twist villains, by their nature, are something that can only be done once in a great while by a few people.

You hit the nail on the head there. Did you think the MLP S8 & S9 writers pulled it off?

Frozen cake.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:21 am

I wasn't much ever the impression they were trying to pull it off, but then again I probably watched the season out of order.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:26 am

I was never fooled about her. Saw it coming from a mile away.
Ameriganastan wrote:...Cozy Glow is totally the bad guy of this season.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:32 am

Tokuopolis wrote:
Giovenith wrote:

You hit the nail on the head there. Did you think the MLP S8 & S9 writers pulled it off?

Frozen cake.

Absolutely not. Come on, a Shirley Temple pony who pronounces her Ls as Ws, everybody uncritically praises as kind and smart, yet has a scary red chess piece for a cutie mark? Shouldn't she also have a neon sign flashing "TOTALLY NOT A SECRETLY EVIL DIVERSION" strapped to her back?
she/her

Tokuopolis
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tokuopolis » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:47 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:I wasn't much ever the impression they were trying to pull it off, but then again I probably watched the season out of order.

So am I. Go watch s8 ep 12 again. Tell me if there is anything that suggests she has a dark side. They deliberately played the twist villain trope painfully straight.

Giovenith wrote:
Tokuopolis wrote:You hit the nail on the head there. Did you think the MLP S8 & S9 writers pulled it off?

Frozen cake.

Absolutely not. Come on, a Shirley Temple pony who pronounces her Ls as Ws, everybody uncritically praises as kind and smart, yet has a scary red chess piece for a cutie mark? Shouldn't she also have a neon sign flashing "TOTALLY NOT A SECRETLY EVIL DIVERSION" strapped to her back?

It probably would have been better to have a weird monstrous looking creature turn out to be friendly. Sure, that trope has also been used a lot, but it makes more narrative sense than twist villains 90% of the time.

Tokuopolis
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tokuopolis » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:56 pm

Just saw a matter of principals.

It was okay

Discords How do you do fellow kids? gag was funny

The artefacts of the different species culture heroes was cool

No hint of Cozy Glow's future villainy as far as I could see. Why'd she go along with Cranky's demands if she's so evil? I'm sorry, I can't see this kid teaming with major villains. I doubt Chrysalis or any of the other villains (if they were in disguise) would go along with Cranky's demands.. I'm just gonna go with my headcanon that she was replaced by an evil universe counterpart at some point, then original Cozy Glow (who was as nice as she seemed to be) returned to the main reality.
Last edited by Tokuopolis on Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Blargoblarg
Minister

Founded: Sep 06, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blargoblarg » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:29 am

Tokuopolis wrote:
Frozen cake.

Oh come on, Pinkie isn't that dumb. She'd figure out a way to defy physics and get that cake.
Claudia De la Cruz 2024 Article about her here
Democrats and Republicans are both right-wing capitalists owned by the rich and the big corporations. Major media in the US is also owned by the rich and big corporations.
Major study finds that America is an oligarchy, not a democracy
"Workers of the world, unite!" -Marx and Engels
You can read The State and Revolution by Lenin for free here
My 8values results My leftvalues results
I am autistic.

Stanmenistan
Envoy

Founded: Jan 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Stanmenistan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:19 pm

Controversial Opinion: Merriweather Williams is a Good Writer

for Spongebob.
About me
Man is free at the instant he wants to be-Voltaire
Think for yourself & let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too― Voltaire
We know more about the surface of the moon than the deep oceans of our own planet-Alastair Fothergill
If we do not become active partners in crafting the policies that involve & affect our work, it will be done without our insight, reason & wisdom-Rita R Colwell
The God of the Bible is also the God of the genome. He can be worshipped in the cathedral or in the laboratory. His creation is majestic, awesome, intricate, & beautiful-Francis Collins
It is the greatest good to the greatest number of people which is the measure of right & wrong-Jeremy Bentham

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:53 pm

Stanmenistan wrote:Controversial Opinion: Merriweather Williams is a Good Writer

for Spongebob.

Well, Spongebob is full of cartoonish, pea-brained idiots. Which is what she turned the ponies into every episode. Not shocking that show suits her.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Stanmenistan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Stanmenistan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:23 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Stanmenistan wrote:Controversial Opinion: Merriweather Williams is a Good Writer

for Spongebob.

Well, Spongebob is full of cartoonish, pea-brained idiots. Which is what she turned the ponies into every episode. Not shocking that show suits her.

What did you say punk?

There are tons of "realistic", intelligent, well-rounded geniuses in Spongebob like Sandy Cheeks, Karen and Barnacle Boy. If you watched the show you'd know that, you silly. And MLP is hardly free of cartoonish, pea-brained idiots. Snips, Snails, Derpy Hooves, Prince Rutherford, Sandbar, Silverstream, Sonata Dusk, Garble and Bulk Biceps.

Merriwether Williams has worked on tons of cartoons including Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, Rugrats, Kablam!, The Angry Beavers, SheZow, Littlest Pet Shop, Pound Puppies, Happy Tree Friends, Camp Lazlo, Pig Goat Banana Cricket and Adventure Time. So clearly the people who make cartoons think she's a good writer, and I trust them more than what some random fanboy has to say.

I think Hearth's Warming Eve and Bats! were good and IDGAF what anyone else thinks.
About me
We know more about the surface of the moon than the deep oceans of our own planet-Alastair Fothergill
If we do not become active partners in crafting the policies that involve & affect our work, it will be done without our insight, reason & wisdom-Rita R Colwell
The God of the Bible is also the God of the genome. He can be worshipped in the cathedral or in the laboratory. His creation is majestic, awesome, intricate, & beautiful-Francis Collins
It is the greatest good to the greatest number of people which is the measure of right & wrong-Jeremy Bentham

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:40 pm

Stanmenistan wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Well, Spongebob is full of cartoonish, pea-brained idiots. Which is what she turned the ponies into every episode. Not shocking that show suits her.

What did you say punk?

There are tons of "realistic", intelligent, well-rounded geniuses in Spongebob like Sandy Cheeks, Karen and Barnacle Boy. If you watched the show you'd know that, you silly. And MLP is hardly free of cartoonish, pea-brained idiots. Snips, Snails, Derpy Hooves, Prince Rutherford, Sandbar, Silverstream, Sonata Dusk, Garble and Bulk Biceps.

Merriwether Williams has worked on tons of cartoons including Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, Rugrats, Kablam!, The Angry Beavers, SheZow, Littlest Pet Shop, Pound Puppies, Happy Tree Friends, Camp Lazlo, Pig Goat Banana Cricket and Adventure Time. So clearly the people who make cartoons think she's a good writer, and I trust them more than what some random fanboy has to say.

I think Hearth's Warming Eve and Bats! were good and IDGAF what anyone else thinks.

I don't care what the bitch wrote before or after this show. She wrote 2 of the absolute worst episodes of this entire effing series.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Holy Marsh
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 09, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Holy Marsh » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:58 pm

Y'all need to calm down a little.

Stanmenistan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Stanmenistan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:41 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Stanmenistan wrote:What did you say punk?

I don't care what the bitch wrote before or after this show. She wrote 2 of the absolute worst episodes of this entire effing series.

Ameriganastan wrote:
New haven america wrote:Oh, the show's finally over.

Welp, that adds a 4th show I need to get caught up on (Including Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Steven universe).

Do Regular Show first. Get the best ending out of the way first.

So did you watch adventure time or not? You seem to be contradicting yourself. And you won't say which MW wrote MLP Episodes you dislike so much. She also wrote one of the best spongebob episodes ever, Band Geeks (albeit with help from other people).

Do you think Fluttershy would like Rigby from Regular Show?
About me

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:56 am

Stanmenistan wrote:So did you watch adventure time or not?

Course I watched Adventure Time. What about it?

Stanmenistan wrote:And you won't say which MW wrote MLP Episodes you dislike so much.

Mare Do Well. The absolute, bottom of the barrel, WORST episode out of all 222 of them.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

MineLegotia and Equestria
Envoy

Founded: Jul 22, 2017

Postby MineLegotia and Equestria » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:08 am

Ameriganastan wrote:

Stanmenistan wrote:And you won't say which MW wrote MLP Episodes you dislike so much.

Mare Do Well. The absolute, bottom of the barrel, WORST episode out of all 222 of them.

Are you sure that's the worst episode? The worst one, in my opinion, is the Season 2 Finale. There you have idiotic and OOC charachters
Recent News: Imperial Regent strengthens Anti-Corruption Offices after Scandal | Minister of FA found after Ministry Blackout; Cults Blamed | 'Caplanbourgh surrender not in sight' says Minister of Defense | Parliament to pass 3843/383/23/04/2389

A nation of various species, who are mostly bureaucrats, traversing the multiverse in the name of harmony and colonialism. Not the worst nor best type of civilisation you'd want to meet.

Stanmenistan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Stanmenistan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:12 am

Ameriganastan wrote:

Its just you said you didn't care about what she did before. She wrote tons of Adventure Time episodes, including some you might like.

Ameriganastan wrote:

And what's the other one? You said She wrote 2 of the absolute worst episodes of this entire effing series.

MineLegotia and Equestria wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:

Are you sure that's the worst episode? The worst one, in my opinion, is the Season 2 Finale. There you have idiotic and OOC charachters

The Season 2 Finale is awesome (both parts). A cool villain, backstory for Twilight and a great final showdown, a great song. The characters were tricked by Chrysalis, not acting OOC. Don't @ me.
Last edited by Stanmenistan on Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
About me

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:15 am

MineLegotia and Equestria wrote:Are you sure that's the worst episode? The worst one, in my opinion, is the Season 2 Finale. There you have idiotic and OOC charachters

You trying to compare A Canterlot Wedding to Mare Do Well? Come on, bro. Canterlot Wedding has a total bop of a villain song, introduced Chrysalis, turned Twilight into a laser machine gun, etc. It rules.

MDW turned the entire cast into a bunch assholes.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:21 am

Stanmenistan wrote:Its just you said you didn't care about what she did before. She wrote tons of Adventure Time episodes, including some you might like.

And I still don't care. Frankly, some of those episodes are crap too. Especially "Slow Love".

Stanmenistan wrote:And what's the other one? You said She wrote 2 of the absolute worst episodes of this entire effing series.

"Bats!".
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

MineLegotia and Equestria
Envoy

Founded: Jul 22, 2017

Postby MineLegotia and Equestria » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:29 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
MineLegotia and Equestria wrote:Are you sure that's the worst episode? The worst one, in my opinion, is the Season 2 Finale. There you have idiotic and OOC charachters

You trying to compare A Canterlot Wedding to Mare Do Well? Come on, bro. Canterlot Wedding has a total bop of a villain song, introduced Chrysalis, turned Twilight into a laser machine gun, etc. It rules.

MDW turned the entire cast into a bunch assholes.

Eh, it is in my opinion. (I probably read too much of those accusation fics!) Tho I can agree on MDW, the charachters were dicks.
Recent News: Imperial Regent strengthens Anti-Corruption Offices after Scandal | Minister of FA found after Ministry Blackout; Cults Blamed | 'Caplanbourgh surrender not in sight' says Minister of Defense | Parliament to pass 3843/383/23/04/2389

A nation of various species, who are mostly bureaucrats, traversing the multiverse in the name of harmony and colonialism. Not the worst nor best type of civilisation you'd want to meet.

Stanmenistan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Stanmenistan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:32 am

Ameriganastan wrote:. Canterlot Wedding has a total bop of a villain song, introduced Chrysalis, turned Twilight into a laser machine gun, etc. It rules.

I can agree with that.

Ameriganastan wrote:
Stanmenistan wrote:And what's the other one? You said She wrote 2 of the absolute worst episodes of this entire effing series.

"Bats!".

Really? The fun vampire-spoof episode, with a good song and a nice moral about compromise, is not just a bad (MW) episode but one of the worst in the series? Not "Putting Your Hoof Down", "Dragon Quest" or "Spike at Your Service"? I can't believe it.

Wonderbolts academy was also a good Merriwether Williams Episode (IMO).
Last edited by Stanmenistan on Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
About me

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction